Fusion teams make state cup final 4

Guest Guest

Guest guest

First, let me apologize upfront for those that are receiving this email that do not wish to be caught in the cross-fire.

Second, let me share that as a former President of a recreational soccer program representing 1,600 players from U6 through U19, I fully support the Board’s position to recognize and respect the need to ensure that appropriate safeguards are available for all involved (players, coaches, board members, and volunteers).

Third, I also respect that there may also be some concern regarding the bus and its use. However, I think you (and others) would agree that having this type of asset would be exciting for ANY team/Club. I have seen many team buses before - they give that a team psychological edge when all else is equal.

However, I am a little concerned that your email may have been a “knee-jerk reaction” that could have easily been handled through a telephone conversation with Tom. This would have accomplished much more instead of using an email that was undoubtedly forwarded to you from someone who is on the listing.

For those on this email – here are some of the facts that have been shared with me. So everyone is aware, my daughters and I rode the bus to a recent game. I asked Tom about insurance coverage and he explained that:

the “team bus” is actually an RV. The distinction between “team bus” and “RV” is critical.

the RV is a private vehicle that is not for hire. Therefore, the driver does not need a CDL License, the requisite medical card and log book.

As required by NY State, he had the requisite insurance coverage.

As a mindful person and having some experience with liability insurance surrounding soccer-related activities, I personally contacted NYSWYSA (Terri Raeder) in an attempt to ascertain what coverage is provided through our registration fees. There seems to be some question, at least in my mind, to the extend of the coverage, but it is clear that a “RV” is not listed as being excluded (of course, neither is a “team bus”). Furthermore, your email leads me to believe that you and the Board may need to seek further understanding as to the insurance coverage that is extended to the affiliated NYSWYSA Clubs. It only makes sense for soccer is a physical game and youth do get hurt when they play this exciting game.

Also, since it appears that you (not sure if this is a Board decision for minutes are not readily available on the website) acted alone on this issue. In fact, should you decide to not approve of this type of transportation (with the requisite insurance coverage), then you may have to extend that enforcement to any family that brings a child that is not their child to any covered event. Why would carpooling be any different than taking the "team bus"?

I fully support that need to investigate, but it appears from my perspective that someone was upset and the easiest thing for you to do was to make the declaration that you sent. If the necessary paperwork is in place, then I am fairly sure that VYSA can not prevent the “team bus” use. If anything, just having this in print, you may inadvertently opened this issue on a much grander scale (e.g., families carpooling without Policyholder approval, please see http://nyswysa.org/docs/InsuranceInfo/NY_outlines_2011_Revised.pdf).

If not already handled, I highly encourage you to discuss this with NYSWYSA. NYSWYSA is the Policyholder and as a member, I expect that my Board will do what is in the best interest of ALL those involved and not to be discriminatory in their declarations.

Fourth, I know that your email does not implicitly state this (some may think that there was an "inferred" message), but just to make it clear, no one (parent or player) was required to take the “team bus.” In fact some players drove separate in their cars and others did not return on the "team bus."

In closing, I can appreciate that you want to ensure everyone is adequately protected – but this issue could have been handled directly with Tom, an experienced and highly respected business person instead of an email blast that will segregate the VYSA community further.

Regards,

Pat Fox

U14G Vestal Strykers “Green” Coach

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

First, let me apologize upfront for those that are receiving this email that do not wish to be caught in the cross-fire.

Second, let me share that as a former President of a recreational soccer program representing 1,600 players from U6 through U19, I fully support the Board’s position to recognize and respect the need to ensure that appropriate safeguards are available for all involved (players, coaches, board members, and volunteers).

Third, I also respect that there may also be some concern regarding the bus and its use. However, I think you (and others) would agree that having this type of asset would be exciting for ANY team/Club. I have seen many team buses before - they give that a team psychological edge when all else is equal.

However, I am a little concerned that your email may have been a “knee-jerk reaction” that could have easily been handled through a telephone conversation with Tom. This would have accomplished much more instead of using an email that was undoubtedly forwarded to you from someone who is on the listing.

For those on this email – here are some of the facts that have been shared with me. So everyone is aware, my daughters and I rode the bus to a recent game. I asked Tom about insurance coverage and he explained that:

the “team bus” is actually an RV. The distinction between “team bus” and “RV” is critical.

the RV is a private vehicle that is not for hire. Therefore, the driver does not need a CDL License, the requisite medical card and log book.

As a mindful person and having some experience with liability insurance surrounding soccer-related activities, I personally contacted NYSWYSA (Terri Raeder) in an attempt to ascertain what coverage is provided through our registration fees. There seems to be some question, at least in my mind, to the extend of the coverage, but it is clear that a “RV” is not listed as being excluded (of course, neither is a “team bus”). Furthermore, your email leads me to believe that you and the Board may need to seek further understanding as to the insurance coverage that is extended to the affiliated NYSWYSA Clubs. It only makes sense for soccer is a physical game and youth do get hurt when they play this exciting game.

Also, since it appears that you (not sure if this is a Board decision for minutes are not readily available on the website) acted alone on this issue. In fact, should you decide to not approve of this type of transportation (with the requisite insurance coverage), then you may have to extend that enforcement to any family that brings a child that is not their child to any covered event. Why would carpooling be any different than taking the "team bus"?

I fully support that need to investigate, but it appears from my perspective that someone was upset and the easiest thing for you to do was to make the declaration that you sent. If the necessary paperwork is in place, then I am fairly sure that VYSA can not prevent the “team bus” use. If anything, just having this in print, you may inadvertently opened this issue on a much grander scale (e.g., families carpooling without Policyholder approval, please see http://nyswysa.org/docs/InsuranceInfo/NY_outlines_2011_Revised.pdf).

If not already handled, I highly encourage you to discuss this with NYSWYSA. NYSWYSA is the Policyholder and as a member, I expect that my Board will do what is in the best interest of ALL those involved and not to be discriminatory in their declarations.

Fourth, I know that your email does not implicitly state this (some may think that there was an "inferred" message), but just to make it clear, no one (parent or player) was required to take the “team bus.” In fact some players drove separate in their cars and others did not return on the "team bus."

In closing, I can appreciate that you want to ensure everyone is adequately protected – but this issue could have been handled directly with Tom, an experienced and highly respected business person instead of an email blast that will segregate the VYSA community further.

Regards,

Pat Fox

Next time you decide to post something like this, think again. Nobody knows what you are talking about, and after reading it, nobody would want to know, and it just makes everyone else ask who would want to be involved in Vestal soccer or the new Vestal soccer club: United FC

Guest Guest

Regards,

Pat Fox

A good lawyer would rip that argument to shreds, team bus vs RV, if kids were hurt or killed on a team sponsored ride. And, what did NYSWYSA have to say after they stopped laughing at the idiots down here.

Guest Guest

Regards,

Pat Fox

If you read the NYSWYSA site information, you'd see that the organization provides the basic coverage. For AD & D cases, lawyers will go after everyone, and the first in line is the one with the deepest pockets. For an organization like a local soccer club, the lawsuit would be devastating, and if the board isn't indemified, they could lose their homes. So, yes, a team bus should be questioned by a board, and it is just doing its job. And, if it's not comfortable with the idea, then the coach should follow the board's decision. Or, they can do what has happened in Vestal where one group decided to take their marbles and create a whole new soccer club that has already started with some questionable practices and people in high level positions.

Guest Guest

Next time you decide to post something like this, think again. Nobody knows what you are talking about, and after reading it, nobody would want to know, and it just makes everyone else ask who would want to be involved in Vestal soccer or the new Vestal soccer club: United FC

Interestingly, the real Pat Fox was not aware that an email that he sent to the VYSA President was posted. Of course, it is once again someone that dares not confront the issue with him, but to stand behind a screen. According to Pat, this was never intended by him to be posted or to be a distraction from the original topic. However, since I have your attention, I find it interesting that folks are so down on United FC. United FC's basic mission is to provide quality soccer training at a reasonable cost. The Club takes a very different approach and allows families/players to chose thier own commitment level. The focus in on the player.

Also, as highlighted in an esrlier post, there is some truth to the relation of talent level and the local population. Empire United, while does draw players from this area, also draws from Syracuse for its Syracuse base and Rochester for its Rochester, and so on. Both cities are much larger than the Southern Tier and hence have a larger base to draw quality players.

Others continue to have an issue with Shane Cook. Just do everyone a favor, back up your assertions with fact and not with your displeasure. As far as I am aware of, he has not been cited for any unlawful act and has continued to receive approval to coach from NYSWYSA, BCC and local cluns. He is a presence in local soccer and will be for years to come. You may not like him, but really, do we really need to slander one's character if there is nothing to support it? You have a choice to not be involved with Shane but joining one of the many other Clubs in the area.

In the end, we all know that there will be those that will continue to try to discredit the upcoming United FC organization, but give it time and you will see that the value that the youth get from this Club will not be matched by any other local organization. Think about it - what has changed in the area:

1. JC has pretty much merged with GBSA

2. SRUSA is hanging on barely

3. BC United is in the same boat as SRUSA

4. M/E is beginning to grow

Each of these clubs have parent coaches with the full gamut of coaching experience, United FC will have D-1 coaches on it staff and also plans for coaching training sessions for its reamining coaching cadre. Why is that so bad? UFC has a dedicated cadre of coaches that want nothing more but to bring value to the youth of our community. Dedicated is not just for the indoor or outdoor season, but also for the off-seasons and school session. I just do not get it as to why United FC is bad or why others claim it as a joke. To the contrary, it seems to have the greatest vision for the youth of our communities. unitedfcsoccer.com

Signed,

Now will the "Real" Pat Fox please stand up!

Guest Guest

Interestingly, the real Pat Fox was not aware that an email that he sent to the VYSA President was posted. Of course, it is once again someone that dares not confront the issue with him, but to stand behind a screen. According to Pat, this was never intended by him to be posted or to be a distraction from the original topic. However, since I have your attention, I find it interesting that folks are so down on United FC. United FC's basic mission is to provide quality soccer training at a reasonable cost. The Club takes a very different approach and allows families/players to chose thier own commitment level. The focus in on the player.

Also, as highlighted in an esrlier post, there is some truth to the relation of talent level and the local population. Empire United, while does draw players from this area, also draws from Syracuse for its Syracuse base and Rochester for its Rochester, and so on. Both cities are much larger than the Southern Tier and hence have a larger base to draw quality players.

Others continue to have an issue with Shane Cook. Just do everyone a favor, back up your assertions with fact and not with your displeasure. As far as I am aware of, he has not been cited for any unlawful act and has continued to receive approval to coach from NYSWYSA, BCC and local cluns. He is a presence in local soccer and will be for years to come. You may not like him, but really, do we really need to slander one's character if there is nothing to support it? You have a choice to not be involved with Shane but joining one of the many other Clubs in the area.

In the end, we all know that there will be those that will continue to try to discredit the upcoming United FC organization, but give it time and you will see that the value that the youth get from this Club will not be matched by any other local organization. Think about it - what has changed in the area:

1. JC has pretty much merged with GBSA

2. SRUSA is hanging on barely

3. BC United is in the same boat as SRUSA

4. M/E is beginning to grow

Each of these clubs have parent coaches with the full gamut of coaching experience, United FC will have D-1 coaches on it staff and also plans for coaching training sessions for its reamining coaching cadre. Why is that so bad? UFC has a dedicated cadre of coaches that want nothing more but to bring value to the youth of our community. Dedicated is not just for the indoor or outdoor season, but also for the off-seasons and school session. I just do not get it as to why United FC is bad or why others claim it as a joke. To the contrary, it seems to have the greatest vision for the youth of our communities. unitedfcsoccer.com

Signed,

Now will the "Real" Pat Fox please stand up!

Since you are in the know, then explain why United FC was created. What is looks like to everyone else: One of the Fusion parent coaches, Purtell, was mad at Marco and tried to leave and create a new team for his son. Cook has been mad at Fusion for years, and Darpino was mad at Vestal soccer. There is nothing new about United FC and everyone knows it. The D-1 coaching staff was at BC United, and people did nothing was complain about them. Now, at United FC they are the best. The other coaches are the same ones that have been here forever. The United FC is simply a money making machine and they have put the one person who is the biggest joke in local soccer in charge of it. The Buffalo/Rochester soccer community is in disbelief that the Fusion program is being changed and has Cook in charge. For those of us who have dealt with Cook over the years, we're not slandering him -- his behavior speaks for its self.

Your talk of vision of soccer for the youth of our communities is so full of crap. United FC went out of its way to ruin BC United. United FC is simply the Vestal soccer program with another name, and people don't want to join it. Most of the Fusion families are very unhappy with the move, and feel forced to do it. There are many who don't want to be associated with Shane--just ask the parents who witnessed his meltdown at the girls soccer game the other weekend.

The United FC is has blown its self out of portion, has hidden costs, and has built itself up to be something its not. The better programs are in Buffalo/Rochester and Syracuse, and the better players will continue to go there for training.

Guest Guest

You are correct here, Binghamton does not have the population to support a full level premier soccer program. The question would then be why try to destroy the local club system in a pipe dream of hoping to have a premier club? Our few true top level players would be far better off by going to Syracuse for Empire training as they are then in the US Soccer development system. United FC, Fusion, FC Broome were never going to qualify for that because we don't have the base to support it. Without top level talent at all ages and teams to let them develop (and we do not have enough for that) any club for that purpose will struggle.

I will easily back up the problems with Shane Cook

1. Was removed from Fusion 2x already and re-entered both times because the group had no real leadership. He cost the club an entire team due to his actions, thats a fact that can't be disputed. When the actions of a coach force an entire team to leave its a problem no matter what way you try and look at it. Fusion lost a team that ended up being a solid group of players maybe a few could have been more but the we will never know.

2. Numerous players have refused to play for him for whatever reason. Look at the talented players BCC has lost to other local community colleges. He went into this season without a keeper because all the local grads went to TC3 to play keeper there or left the soccer team instead of playing for him. The core group he had included numerous Fusion players that were very successful in State Cup and I've talked with many of them who insist his coaching is poor at best especially when compared to Marco and Scott. Hell a few of them I spoke with even said the screwball Mydlinski from SV is a better coach than Cook by a lot.

3. When did Shane Cook become a "professional" coach? He hit that road when he was fired from his job for whatever reason and he decided that being a trainer was going to be his next occupation, end of story. He isn't in this because of passion or anything special, its a way to make a living for him. Any way he can get more money out of it is what he is concerned with, ask the people at Empire United how their deals with him worked out when a better offer came his way. He left them and followed the money not a guy a want running my things.

In the end, we all know that there will be those that will continue to try to discredit the upcoming United FC organization, but give it time and you will see that the value that the youth get from this Club will not be matched by any other local organization.

United FC is a staff of parent coaches with a few real coaches-Cook, Fox, LaBarbera, Pitts, Rich are all just parent coaches no matter what you try and spin it like. Stop trying to throw down the "Parent Coach" card when the majority of your staff is the same thing. Yes a few of them now work at different levels and have gotten coaching education but thats no different than what guys like Ross Riley, Jorge Chavez, Bill Arno and countless others have done for years. Heck you even have coaches like Narode and Caseres on staff that have little to no coaching experience and we all know that being a good player doesn't mean you will be a great coach.

Dedication to a club team during school season? How is that going to work? Kids are already going to be playing 2x a week and training another 4x a week where are you going to fit that in? If you are implying that your club is trying to help school players and teams you are dead wrong. The best way for them to build school teams is to keep a local structure so that more players stay involved and not having teams split up at twelve years old because a group wants to leave and now teams fold because it doesn't have enough of a base left to play.

D'Arpino was called out by Vestal for caring only about his teams and doing things that the club had serious concerns about with legal and financial implications. He took the questions personally and instead of handling it well he went with the route of taking his ball and going someplace else. He didn't want to realize that a simple action like throwing 15 kids on a vehicle without clearing it through proper channels was dangerous for the group no matter what he might have thought of the action. The club didn't want to merge with BC United because it didn't want to be saddled with the burden of the Field Complex and a few other reasons.

And did you say BC United was on its last legs and was falling apart? Lets look at the last few people to be in charge of the things at that club...Cook, Marco, LaBarbea, McClellan were the leaders of that group with a few other people on the Board at BC United. Sorry but giving a group a new name doesn't mean success just because a local businessman is now going to throw his money behind them.

Guest Guest

Good job UFC for being committed to providing a quality product for the triple cities area. UFC will encompass a development, club, and premier model which is the right way to build a club. They have the best coaches in the area on board and the right minds to build something for the long term. 300+ registered so far and counting....

Guest Guest

Here's whats wrong with United FC in a nutshell--right from their website

U10 Premiere

All players will pay a $40.00 registration at signups.

Premiere players pay $65 per month for 8 months training twice a week.

U10 Premier? are you kidding me...I am sorry but get a life you are offering a service that is foolish at best-all for the low cost of $500 without league or tourney fees? How about realizing that in NYSW u10's can't travel to play tourneys so what is the "Premiere" tag for? The will be paying to call themselves better than the others? Yeah you will get some people to pay because they know their kid is going to be the next Messi, but look at the stats. FIFA/UEFA has released a study pushing for all kids under u12 to play in six month brackets because physical growth changes so rapidly before the age of 12 that its near impossible to judge who will be what year to year and to develop skills better it would help to group by physical ability more.

And bragging you have 300 kids already LOL You took the Fusion teams all 7 of them and the 15-20 each there thats half your number, add D'Arpino's Vestal teams you now have almost 200 of your count. The majority of your other kids are from the new rec program not new club teams.

Pat,

It is apparent that you have been misinformed. Lets see if I can address some of your concerns.

As quoted from your letter you have taken Toms word to be Fact. Lets address these individually,

a. you can call a vehicle anything you like. It is NY State DMV that defines what is required. Regardless that a vehicle is classified as a RV it is the gross vehicle weight and number of passenger seats that matter.

b. the request for a medical card and log book may be necessary if the vehicle meets the CDL requirements as defined by NY state DMV.

c. the liability insurance and CDL documentation was requested after seeking legal advise.

I would not think to ask Terri Raeder about insurance coverage on something that has nothing to do with liability as it pertains to game play. Remember we are only concerned with the liability the VYSA may share with the 'team bus' during transport to / from a game.

It sounds like you are giving me to much credit in assuming that, I, have a personal axe to grind and may find enjoyment in not approving this type of transportation. My only concern is the welfare of the VYSA and its members. As a coach you must know that there is a difference between coaches transporting (non family) players and parents transporting (carpooling) players. Coaches, trainers and board-members, all, are representatives of their organization (in this case VYSA). Coaches are educated during their certification on the liability they impose on the organization if they transport (non family) players.

I fully support that need to investigate, but it appears from my perspective that someone was upset and the easiest thing for you to do was to make the declaration that you sent. If the necessary paperwork is in place, then I am fairly sure that VYSA can not prevent the “team bus” use

I sent the letter after attempting to speak with Tom D as well as two ignored request for insurance and CDL documentation. The board never said the bus could not be used, but did ask to review the documents requested. It appears that your perspective is mistaken, misinformed or both.

I think this message was clear to the parents that felt pressured in accepting the use of the bus.

As stated above I (in representing the VYSA and Board) attempted to contact Tom directly, and requested twice the documentation and proof of liability insurance (to date nothing has been received for review). I am not interested in Toms experience nor his level of respect in the business community, I am solely concerned with the welfare of the VYSA and the safety and security of its members.

PS: I do have a question for the you and the Board – now that I have received this email with the reference to “team bus” not being permitted and since I have referred to my Chevy Traverse as the “team bus” (it seats 8) – are you now indicating that I can no longer transport my players in my “team bus”? You may be chuckling, but in this litigious environment, simple references like this can carry a heavy toll.

I would recommend against it. As we both have learned during our coaching certification, as a representative of the league transporting players (non family) does place a level of liability on both the driver and the league.

Thank you for such a well crafted letter, I hope I have addressed each of your issues and have shed some light that improves your perspective.

Jay Wirth

Guest Guest

Good job UFC for being committed to providing a quality product for the triple cities area. UFC will encompass a development, club, and premier model which is the right way to build a club. They have the best coaches in the area on board and the right minds to build something for the long term. 300+ registered so far and counting....

UFC is not committed to anything but the egos of Darpino, Cook and Purtell. But, keep these notes coming Shane.

Guest Guest

300? youve got another 100 since 8:45 tuesday night? Still had those first 200 gearbags then? UFC will be ok but why exagerate?

Guest United FC Rocks!

300? youve got another 100 since 8:45 tuesday night? Still had those first 200 gearbags then? UFC will be ok but why exagerate?

OK, so it is obvious that there are those that are in the know, but in a dangerous manner for their knowledge can be misleading:

1. Lets be real, the U10 Premiere designation is related to the amount of training a player will get, not the level of competition. We all should know that there are NO U-10 premiere leagues or tournaments. It is easy to complain for those in the know to create chaos and the person who mentioned this sjhould know better about what is being encountered. Of course, at least the United FC is being open and honest, unless Chris Riley and Bahij who are actively recruiting U10 and above players to join GBSA. Heck, I even heard that Riley recruited specific U10 players in fron of the coach that brought his girls to the Crash Academy. Way to go Riley, you are making your Dad proud - NOT! Your actions will hurt you in the long run - just wait and see!

2. Yep - over 300 players registered - making it the largest Club in the area! Not bad for its inaugural year. Of course this does include the former Fusion program, but really do you think that the families felt forced! Let's see, they have the same training staff, they will have the same training resources, but wait - their cost will be substantially lower. I guess you are correct - they were forced to take a cheaper rate. Of course, there will be those that are not happy no matter what happens - that unfortunately is human nature.

3. Someone commented on the use of Parent Coaches - well, thank goodness for parent coaches. It is even better when those volunteers step up to gain additional knowledge about coaching - which is highly encouraged by UFC. I learned from one of the parent coaches that they have completed some NSCAA training and are looking at additional training. What other local club organizes certificated training for their coaches. And if they do, what percentage attend. I think it is great that a Club has taken a focused approach with its coaches so that they can bring additional value to their teams.

I find it interesting that so many folks have an issue with United FC - not sure why so many folks called out Cook, Purtell, D'Arpino and the others. Shane apparently knows his stuff. I have met Purtell and I was impressed with his knowledge and involvement within the soccer community (NYSWYSA involvement). D'Arpino - if he was so bad, then why have many of his players left Vestal to join United FC? He has great intentions for our community. I tried to understand why some folks think he has made questionable decisions while with Vestal, but could not find their minutes posted on the website. But given that the UFC program apparetnly has already registered over 300 players, that leads me to believe that the minority are posting here for possibly their child will not be able to play at the same level or felt left out - hence the whining.

Guest Guest

You are correct here, Binghamton does not have the population to support a full level premier soccer program. The question would then be why try to destroy the local club system in a pipe dream of hoping to have a premier club? Our few true top level players would be far better off by going to Syracuse for Empire training as they are then in the US Soccer development system. United FC, Fusion, FC Broome were never going to qualify for that because we don't have the base to support it. Without top level talent at all ages and teams to let them develop (and we do not have enough for that) any club for that purpose will struggle.

I think part of the problem is that there are still too many clubs, even with the recent failings of some Clubs. If anyone think that the Dome (Riley and Bahij) is going to give it - well you have a wake-up call coming. Vestal has held its own for some time, but not for thier leadership, but more because the family members wanted it. They will continue to be a valued local club. Outside of that, there are no other well organized Clubs. Now United FC starts and offers to bring up the level of training and organization so that the players can get to that next level! And before I go any further, if you thing VYSA has done that, then look at successful the Vestal Varsity program is. They do fine locally, but when they go outside of the area, they are not successful.

Parents should not look to supporting a specific Club. They should focus on where the best training is for their child. Coaches hate this for they want to build their program. But what may be best for the coach, may not be good to the player. If the training at Empire United - Syracuse is that great - then more families should make that commitment. In fact, that option was always there BEFORE United FC came to fruition.

Interesting to note is that Fusion has been successful, especially with the Boys program. Now this year the Girls are finally reaching high levels of success. Now these teams are just changing clubs - organizationally things will be different as compared to BC United, but it will be unnoticeable to the players.

One last to comment - United FC is not just a premiere club - it also offers additional levels of play (Club and Rec). No one is required to a specific commitment level. The point is that there will always be a place for a player to play, even if they can not afford it.

Guest Guest

And before I go any further, if you thing VYSA has done that, then look at successful the Vestal Varsity program is. They do fine locally, but when they go outside of the area, they are not successful.

Parents should not look to supporting a specific Club. They should focus on where the best training is for their child. Coaches hate this for they want to build their program. But what may be best for the coach, may not be good to the player. If the training at Empire United - Syracuse is that great - then more families should make that commitment. In fact, that option was always there BEFORE United FC came to fruition.

Interesting to note is that Fusion has been successful, especially with the Boys program. Now this year the Girls are finally reaching high levels of success. Now these teams are just changing clubs - organizationally things will be different as compared to BC United, but it will be unnoticeable to the players.

Thanks for pointing out Vestal HS has had no success outside the area, I'll make sure my son and his teammates return the State Championship they won less than 3 years ago. Always good to know that UFC is willing to try and twist the truth for their own benefit. Much like the statement in another post that said UFC was already the largest club in the area..Vestal has far more than 300 kids, don't forget the Vestal rec and Travel programs are two parts of the same charter. Vestal Rec has over 500 kids every year and the travel group keeps a few hundred also.

If D'Arpino hadn't thrown a fit because he was called out on things (Jay Wirth wrote a very good letter in this topic already) this whole thing wouldn't be needed. Tom sadly fell under the belief that Shane Cook cares about anything other than Shane Cook, and sadly its not true. This whole enterprise is an exercise for Shane's ego. He wanted to show up Marco for being cut as coaching head of Fusion Girls Side and being released as a Fusion coach twice. He created this group to destroy Fusion and sadly Vestal is also now paying a price for letting him train their kids before.

Guest Guest

1. Lets be real, the U10 Premiere designation is related to the amount of training a player will get, not the level of competition. We all should know that there are NO U-10 premiere leagues or tournaments. It is easy to complain for those in the know to create chaos and the person who mentioned this sjhould know better about what is being encountered. Of course, at least the United FC is being open and honest, unless Chris Riley and Bahij who are actively recruiting U10 and above players to join GBSA. Heck, I even heard that Riley recruited specific U10 players in fron of the coach that brought his girls to the Crash Academy. Way to go Riley, you are making your Dad proud - NOT! Your actions will hurt you in the long run - just wait and see!

2. Yep - over 300 players registered - making it the largest Club in the area! Not bad for its inaugural year. Of course this does include the former Fusion program, but really do you think that the families felt forced! Let's see, they have the same training staff, they will have the same training resources, but wait - their cost will be substantially lower. I guess you are correct - they were forced to take a cheaper rate. Of course, there will be those that are not happy no matter what happens - that unfortunately is human nature.

3. Someone commented on the use of Parent Coaches - well, thank goodness for parent coaches. It is even better when those volunteers step up to gain additional knowledge about coaching - which is highly encouraged by UFC. I learned from one of the parent coaches that they have completed some NSCAA training and are looking at additional training. What other local club organizes certificated training for their coaches. And if they do, what percentage attend. I think it is great that a Club has taken a focused approach with its coaches so that they can bring additional value to their teams.

I find it interesting that so many folks have an issue with United FC - not sure why so many folks called out Cook, Purtell, D'Arpino and the others. Shane apparently knows his stuff. I have met Purtell and I was impressed with his knowledge and involvement within the soccer community (NYSWYSA involvement). D'Arpino - if he was so bad, then why have many of his players left Vestal to join United FC? He has great intentions for our community. I tried to understand why some folks think he has made questionable decisions while with Vestal, but could not find their minutes posted on the website. But given that the UFC program apparetnly has already registered over 300 players, that leads me to believe that the minority are posting here for possibly their child will not be able to play at the same level or felt left out - hence the whining.

First, I really am not sure about it being that much cheaper. The reason the local clubs have not joined is because UFC would be MORE expensive. For the premier teams, not included in the base rate are the tournaments, and other such costs related and OUTDOOR FIELD FEES. You can't have a premier team not have it cost money. The prices will be low for 1-2 years due to the "sponsors", and then creep up.

Second, as people have pointed out, the so-called 300 players are the forced Fusion teams, and Darpino's teams from Vestal. People are not dropping and running to this organization. By and large, the fusion parents DON'T want to be involved with UFC.

Third, let's agree to disagree about Cook--he really knows his stuff? but what's the best level he has achieved? Coach of BCC men's team, not even a D3 school? Haven't you noticed that he can't keep his BCC players? And, the girls side of Fusion is still at the same lackluster level as ever. They haven't changed, nor will it because the mighty shane cook who has been involved in the girls side at fusion will still be there in UFC. Cook know his stuff? What stuff? I've watched him coach and if the girls parents really buy his "stuck it up ladies" style, they deserve him. How many state cups have his teams won?

Fourth, parent coaches do not belong at the premier level. For Purtell to be a board member and parent coach of the Fusion team violates all board rules. He needs to quit being one.

Fifth, UFC went after BC United, and tried to gut the organization, and then thought they would get the fields for free. That hasn't happened. Has anyone asked UFC what their home fields will be? Some how I can't see people being proud of and players wanting to play at the Heritage fields. UFC will be a focused approach? What a bunch of nonsense--look who will be doing it? UFC is not an academy, it has 3 D1 coaches who will have NOTHING to do with the non-premier side, and UFC won't have a trainer like Chris Riley to work with the club players. What will you have? Parent coaches acting important and coaches who shouldn't be coaching.

Finally, UFC was not created by those looking for sainthood. Darpino had issues with Vestal, Purtell had issues with Fusion, and Cook, the list is long, had issues with Fusion and others. This UFC is like watching Little League at its worst. There is nothing in this organization that anyone should be proud of. What I want to see is a list of board members, and the budget. What will people like Cook be earning each month? As the saying goes -- If it's too good to be true...

Guest Guest

Fourth, parent coaches do not belong at the premier level.

Ill second that, other than that if you dont like UFC dont join and dont worry about what others are doing. If you want to go to Syracuse go ahead and you can be the second wave to go get your butts kicked by fusion and watch state cup from the stands. It dosent seem like things are all that peachy there either as several players have come to the Elmira team from Rochester and a couple are at Fusion from Syracuse.

Guest Reply to Soccer mom

Fourth, parent coaches do not belong at the premier level.

Ill second that, other than that if you dont like UFC dont join and dont worry about what others are doing. If you want to go to Syracuse go ahead and you can be the second wave to go get your butts kicked by fusion and watch state cup from the stands. It dosent seem like things are all that peachy there either as several players have come to the Elmira team from Rochester and a couple are at Fusion from Syracuse.

How many Fusion teams won state cup? Comparing Fusion or UFC to any of the Empire teams is comical.

Guest Guest

this is about low level soccer, right???????????? you know it's not a sport when parents don't even talk about the game, instead talking about the pathetic organizations that encourage this nonsense. it looks like the cheerleading thread.

Guest Guest

I think part of the problem is that there are still too many clubs, even with the recent failings of some Clubs. If anyone think that the Dome (Riley and Bahij) is going to give it - well you have a wake-up call coming. Vestal has held its own for some time, but not for thier leadership, but more because the family members wanted it. They will continue to be a valued local club. Outside of that, there are no other well organized Clubs. Now United FC starts and offers to bring up the level of training and organization so that the players can get to that next level! And before I go any further, if you thing VYSA has done that, then look at successful the Vestal Varsity program is. They do fine locally, but when they go outside of the area, they are not successful.

One last to comment - United FC is not just a premiere club - it also offers additional levels of play (Club and Rec). No one is required to a specific commitment level. The point is that there will always be a place for a player to play, even if they can not afford it.

I couldnt imagine why the Fusion would want to get away from BC united, yesterday they had a game at the BC fields against a team that came from Rochester and no one showed up to open the gate. After gaining access to the fields just prior to gametime the game still had to be played without corner flags as nobody could get in to get them. Way to go BC united!!

Archived