Is it ok to add Kerosene to heating oil???

Guest Cold guest

Guest Cold guest

Just realized we're getting low on heating oil and can't get a delivery for at least another week (also can't afford a delivery for at least another week). Called our supplier and the girl said we can always add kerosene to the tank to get us by for a while. Has anyone ever done that? I've never heard of it. We haven't lived here that long and never heated with oil before, so this is all new to me. Thought I'd better ask around before doing anything that might screw up the heating system.

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Just realized we're getting low on heating oil and can't get a delivery for at least another week (also can't afford a delivery for at least another week). Called our supplier and the girl said we can always add kerosene to the tank to get us by for a while. Has anyone ever done that? I've never heard of it. We haven't lived here that long and never heated with oil before, so this is all new to me. Thought I'd better ask around before doing anything that might screw up the heating system.

I would think you could go somewhere and buy heating oil by the gallon. Call a few places and tell them you're almost out of fuel, and then see if you can pick some up and bring a few five gallon containers. I can't believe anyone would turn down a quick sale. Also, kerosene is more expensive than heating oil last I knew.

It is ok to use kerosene. I just had to do that a few weeks ago. What will screw up the heating system is letting the tanks run completely dry.

You can always just use diesel fuel. Whatever is cheaper at the pump?? I did that once cause I was worried I was going to run out before I got a deliver in the fall.

Yes you can, as we get a mix becuase our tanks are outside and I don't want to chance a jelly effect with just heating oil. Beside, the kero helps clean the jets.

Better do something before next week tho. Suppose to drop to zero over the first part of weekend and into next week.

;)

Guest Rural Resident
It is ok to use kerosene. I just had to do that a few weeks ago. What will screw up the heating system is letting the tanks run completely dry.

You can buy home heating oil at the pump by the gallon in PA, for less money than you can buy it delivered in NY. Call around to some of the PA gas stations and ask if they have heating oil. Flynn's Stone Castle in Lawton, PA (570) 934-2822 has heating oil, or you can try Pump n Pantry Hallstead, PA (570) 879-4667, They have off-road diesel and maybe heating oil too, around the side of the store.

Be careful, some furnaces are finicky with using kerosene or diesel as the viscosity and BTU output is different.

Guest Cold guest
You can buy home heating oil at the pump by the gallon in PA, for less money than you can buy it delivered in NY. Call around to some of the PA gas stations and ask if they have heating oil. Flynn's Stone Castle in Lawton, PA (570) 934-2822 has heating oil, or you can try Pump n Pantry Hallstead, PA (570) 879-4667, They have off-road diesel and maybe heating oil too, around the side of the store.

Be careful, some furnaces are finicky with using kerosene or diesel as the viscosity and BTU output is different.

Thanks for that info, I'll give them a call. Just can't afford to pay for delivery (100 gallons minimum) right now. Our tank is currently at exactly the one-quarter level, so we're not worried so much that it might run dry but we were warned not to let it go below 1/4 because it "stirs up the sludge" or something near the bottom and could damage the furnace...anyone know if that's right? (Again, we're new to heating with oil.)

Benson Brothers in Susquehanna will deliver as long as it's at least $250 worth. That is their minimum and it works for those of us on a budget. I can only afford $250 at a time. They're good people.

Every system is different. I have a couple of filters in line before the pump so I dont worry about it. I can let mine run dry and fill it up, prime the pump, and be heating again in minutes.

I also have a wood stove. I am looking for a pellet stove so I can break dependence on oil altogether.

You can add kerosene or diesel fuel to your heating oil tank. All are the same product refined for different purposes. I have a portable 100 gallon tank with a pump and have had to add to fuel oil tanks in the past. I normally go to Great Bend and buy off-road diesel and add that when in a pinch, it is a little cheaper that Kero and regular diesel.

You can add kerosene or diesel fuel to your heating oil tank. All are the same product refined for different purposes. I have a portable 100 gallon tank with a pump and have had to add to fuel oil tanks in the past. I normally go to Great Bend and buy off-road diesel and add that when in a pinch, it is a little cheaper that Kero and regular diesel.

Hey Billy maybe you should start a small service, say 75 gallons min at what the market price is. Your getting it cheaper in PA then NY market, so that would pay for your time and effort.

PLUS...it would show what type of a sand up guy you are to others (based on what I am reading in these forms).

:) :) :);)

Hey Billy maybe you should start a small service, say 75 gallons min at what the market price is. Your getting it cheaper in PA then NY market, so that would pay for your time and effort.

PLUS...it would show what type of a sand up guy you are to others (based on what I am reading in these forms).

Like I have time for one more thing to do.

Guest Cold guest

Called Flynn's in Lawton and they do sell heating oil by the gallon, but not the Pump n Pantry in Hallstead. Anyone know of another place a little closer to Binghamton? Lawton's kind of a hike from here but I'll go there if necessary. Not knowing the history of our furnace, I'd feel better sticking with heating oil for now rather than trying kerosene or diesel.

Called Flynn's in Lawton and they do sell heating oil by the gallon, but not the Pump n Pantry in Hallstead. Anyone know of another place a little closer to Binghamton? Lawton's kind of a hike from here but I'll go there if necessary. Not knowing the history of our furnace, I'd feel better sticking with heating oil for now rather than trying kerosene or diesel.

Won't Economy or Warner's sell it by the gallon?

Discount Petroleum - maps.google.com - (607) 797-1505

Economy Heating - maps.google.com - (607) 797-1505

Mirabito Fuel Group - www.mirabito.com - (607) 729-6501

Amerada Hess Corp - www.hess.com - (607) 766-4272

Warners Gas Svce Inc - maps.google.com - (607) 748-3989

Buckeye Terminals LLC - maps.google.com - (607) 798-1566

Economy Heating - maps.google.com - (607) 648-6030

Discount Petroleum - maps.google.com - (607) 648-6030

A OK Fuel - maps.google.com - (607) 625-2210

Suburban Propane - www.suburbanpropane.com - (607) 723-3594

Guest Cold guest

Thanks Billy for posting all those places and numbers. I'll call around tomorrow.

One last question; is it true you shouldn't let the amount in a heating oil tank drop below 1/4 (because of "sludge" or whatever)?

Guest BC Voice of Reason
Thanks Billy for posting all those places and numbers. I'll call around tomorrow.

One last question; is it true you shouldn't let the amount in a heating oil tank drop below 1/4 (because of "sludge" or whatever)?

That is the general rule. Although depending on the age condition of the tank you might be able to run it lower. Think about when you add oil the next time and your tank is on empty, it will stir up the sediment that's in the bottom of your tank, which can get into your line, nozzle, etc. Same rule applies to your car, but most of us don't follow it, including myself.

I was getting low on fuel and didnt have the $$ plus the 21. bucks to deliver under 150 gallons..100 gal minimum that economy requires. Last delivery was 3.40 gallon plus 21. bucks .. I will not pay 3.61 gal to heat my home. So ran to great bend with my 5 gallon jugs .. first shot got 10 gallons of kero at 3.19 a gallon, 2nd run got 10 more gallons off road diesel 3.09 gallon .. hey every penny helps..

$250 bucks a pop is alot more managable - come summer, Im filling up or getting on a plan .. last thing i need to stress about is having heat.

IF I ever get my truck fixed, lemme use your portable fuel tank, and I'll do it Billy.

A warning about letting the fuel level in your vehicles gas tank go below an 1/4 of a tank. All cars now days have electric fuel pumps mounted in the bottom of the gas tank.

The in-tank location helps muffle the buzzing noise produced by the electric pump motor, and immersing the pump in fuel helps lubricate and cool the pump motor. Driving with the fuel tank less than 1/4 full can shorten pump life by causing it to run hot. It also increases the risk of momentarily starving the pump for fuel when cornering sharply, braking or accelerating. Running out of gas can sometimes damage an electric fuel pump by starving it for cooling and lubrication.

It is expensive to replace an electric fuel pump because the gas tank must be removed.

A warning about letting the fuel level in your vehicles gas tank go below an 1/4 of a tank. All cars now days have electric fuel pumps mounted in the bottom of the gas tank.

The in-tank location helps muffle the buzzing noise produced by the electric pump motor, and immersing the pump in fuel helps lubricate and cool the pump motor. Driving with the fuel tank less than 1/4 full can shorten pump life by causing it to run hot. It also increases the risk of momentarily starving the pump for fuel when cornering sharply, braking or accelerating. Running out of gas can sometimes damage an electric fuel pump by starving it for cooling and lubrication.

It is expensive to replace an electric fuel pump because the gas tank must be removed.

This post is about fuel oil heaters, not motor vehicles....but thanks for the tip!

Guest guest41

Actually its not the pump and pantry in Hallstead that has the off road diesel (less tax than on road), its the snoco next to smoking joes. I just got 50 gallons there last Sunday. It was 3.08/9 a gallon.

Archived