Softball Powers of Section 4 this year

Guest guest

I was wondering who will be the softball powers of section four this year? With the graduation losses around the league will it be Windsor or Sus Valley this year?

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Courtney

I was wondering who will be the softball powers of section four this year? With the graduation losses around the league will it be Windsor or Sus Valley this year?

U.E. is always in contention for another title.

In Class AA:

1) Corning HS - Although U/E will be strong, you have to go with Corning, given that they have All State Pitcher Quincy Lewis back on the mound and probably have the best overall player in the STAC and potenitally a State Player of the Year Candidate in Syracuse University bound, Elyssa LeBaron at Shortstop. Corning is playing the toughest non-league schedule of all the STAC-AA Teams this upcoming season, so that will help them as well

2) Union Endicott HS - The Lady TIgers return a very nice pitcher in Junior hurler Rachel Mouillesseaux, but the loss of Gabby Orlando will be huge.and hard to replace. However. the coaching that Coach Testa brings to this group of girls is a major factor on the positive side.

3) Horseheads HS - With the trio of Shannon Good, Alexa Archambeault, Elizabeth Thompson all returning, makes the Lady Blue Raiders dangerous, but the coaching is suspect and the out-of-league schedule weak at best.

4) Vestal HS - The Dynamic Duo of Kristen Hickling and Savonna Connolly, makes the Golden Bears dangerous. The big question is how they are goind to replace their great catcher, Amanda DeAngelo.

5) Binghamton HS - Catcher Ashley Lomonaco and Pitcher MacKenzie Cronin are both gone. Upstart Leah McGovern returns at shortstop. Team Chemistry issues last year was an issue with a team loaded with talent. New Coaching Staff this year will try to bring in an infusion of new attitudes and confidence. Binghamton has certainly not backed off of challenging themselves with probably the 2nd most difficutl out of league schedule within the AA in the STAC this season.

For the Smaller Schools:

1) Susquehanna Valley HS - This will be the season that these seniors will be measured against. Lindsey Haskell, Abby Hogan, and Laura Knight lead the way. It will be interesting to see how this team matures throughout this upcoming season. A "So-So" Non-League schedule could play into how well they do come sectionals. However, for right now, SV is the team to beat

2) Windsor HS - Yes, this team lost 2 key players from their State Championship Team in Cara Martin and Leslie Dempsey. But they return Kelly Costello and Shelly Tucker and have a some really good pitching coming up from the Junior Varisty ranks. Windsor also has the best coaching staff in the STAC East/Central, along playing the most challenging Non-League Schedule of all of these schools, So, I would not be surprised that Windsor wins the Section 4 - Class B Championship when it is all said and done

3) Chenango Forks HS - Yes, this very well could be the year that CF makes some noise in the STAC. Will they win the STAC or Section. Most likely not, but this could be the best Chenango Forks team in quite some time. Shortstop Michaela Transue and Catcher Chelsea Henige will bring a new sense of excitement to this team. Also a very challenging schedule will help come playoffs.

4) Chanango Valley HS - Coach Coleman is in a rebuilding mode with this team. Having to replace All State Pitcher Taylor Hendrickson and STAC All Star Lauren Eggleston will be HUGE! However, CV is starting over with a nice foundation player in Taylor Stupski

Guest Love STAC Softball

In Class AA:

1) Corning HS - Although U/E will be strong, you have to go with Corning, given that they have All State Pitcher Quincy Lewis back on the mound and probably have the best overall player in the STAC and potenitally a State Player of the Year Candidate in Syracuse University bound, Elyssa LeBaron at Shortstop. Corning is playing the toughest non-league schedule of all the STAC-AA Teams this upcoming season, so that will help them as well

2) Union Endicott HS - The Lady TIgers return a very nice pitcher in Junior hurler Rachel Mouillesseaux, but the loss of Gabby Orlando will be huge.and hard to replace. However. the coaching that Coach Testa brings to this group of girls is a major factor on the positive side.

3) Horseheads HS - With the trio of Shannon Good, Alexa Archambeault, Elizabeth Thompson all returning, makes the Lady Blue Raiders dangerous, but the coaching is suspect and the out-of-league schedule weak at best.

4) Vestal HS - The Dynamic Duo of Kristen Hickling and Savonna Connolly, makes the Golden Bears dangerous. The big question is how they are goind to replace their great catcher, Amanda DeAngelo.

5) Binghamton HS - Catcher Ashley Lomonaco and Pitcher MacKenzie Cronin are both gone. Upstart Leah McGovern returns at shortstop. Team Chemistry issues last year was an issue with a team loaded with talent. New Coaching Staff this year will try to bring in an infusion of new attitudes and confidence. Binghamton has certainly not backed off of challenging themselves with probably the 2nd most difficutl out of league schedule within the AA in the STAC this season.

For the Smaller Schools:

1) Susquehanna Valley HS - This will be the season that these seniors will be measured against. Lindsey Haskell, Abby Hogan, and Laura Knight lead the way. It will be interesting to see how this team matures throughout this upcoming season. A "So-So" Non-League schedule could play into how well they do come sectionals. However, for right now, SV is the team to beat

2) Windsor HS - Yes, this team lost 2 key players from their State Championship Team in Cara Martin and Leslie Dempsey. But they return Kelly Costello and Shelly Tucker and have a some really good pitching coming up from the Junior Varisty ranks. Windsor also has the best coaching staff in the STAC East/Central, along playing the most challenging Non-League Schedule of all of these schools, So, I would not be surprised that Windsor wins the Section 4 - Class B Championship when it is all said and done

3) Chenango Forks HS - Yes, this very well could be the year that CF makes some noise in the STAC. Will they win the STAC or Section. Most likely not, but this could be the best Chenango Forks team in quite some time. Shortstop Michaela Transue and Catcher Chelsea Henige will bring a new sense of excitement to this team. Also a very challenging schedule will help come playoffs.

4) Chanango Valley HS - Coach Coleman is in a rebuilding mode with this team. Having to replace All State Pitcher Taylor Hendrickson and STAC All Star Lauren Eggleston will be HUGE! However, CV is starting over with a nice foundation player in Taylor Stupski

To Be The Best, You Should Play Against The Best. I applaude those teams who have gone out and challenged themselves, playing strong teams outside of the STAC and the Section

In Class AA:

For the Smaller Schools:

To Be The Best, You Should Play Against The Best. I applaude those teams who have gone out and challenged themselves, playing strong teams outside of the STAC and the Section

yeah, lets have the girls waste taxpayers money playing out of town teams. There is plenty of good teams to play here.

I believe that the schools fundraise to travel to and play out of town teams, With School Budgets the way they are today, I don't think that any school is giving any athletic team (not just softball) any additional money to play games outside of, in the case of the Large School STAC Teams, the 12 games on their schedule. (Makes no sense for say a Corning or Union Endicott to play a Deposit for example)

yeah, lets have the girls waste taxpayers money playing out of town teams. There is plenty of good teams to play here.

Just a note to poster #6: Chelsea Henige has transfered to Chenango Valley.

Still believe that Chenango Forks is a slightly better team, going into this upcoming season, than Chenango Valley. However, as they say, it is how they all finish at the end of the year, that counts.

I like Poster # 6's analysis. I, too, feel that in the larger school league in the STAC, for Corning HS, it is a "MUST" year for them. Corning has the talent to take them far. They really should have taken the Section 4 - AA's last year, but they possibly got over-confident and it ended up a bust in Sectional for them and U/E took the crown. I think that Coach Johnston knows this and will make sure that this year will be the year. I also like Sus Valley to do very well, but my gut feeling is telling me that Windsor, when it is all said and done, will come out on top in Sectionals. Playing all of those larger schools during the season will hep them tremendously.

Guest Barack Obama
I believe that the schools fundraise to travel to and play out of town teams, With School Budgets the way they are today, I don't think that any school is giving any athletic team (not just softball) any additional money to play games outside of, in the case of the Large School STAC Teams, the 12 games on their schedule. (Makes no sense for say a Corning or Union Endicott to play a Deposit for example)

The teams might fundraise to help pay for the girls hotel rooms. The school is responsible for paying for the bus driver, gas etc. Waste of my money. Play the local teams.

The teams might fundraise to help pay for the girls hotel rooms. The school is responsible for paying for the bus driver, gas etc. Waste of my money. Play the local teams.

Bessie not good enough to make the squad, shame!

Know the facts before you post. When local teams agree to play teams from out of the area, the teams not only fund raise for hotels rooms, but also the money raised goes towards transportation (bus, driver and gas), food, umpire assessments, and other ancilary expenses. In today's world, schools will only pay for games that are scheduled by the league and no other games. Look some of the Boys and GIrls Basketball Teams from our area that take it to an even more extreme, when they travel out of state and have to fund raise for airfare, as well as the other expenses. I applaude these girls who work very very hard to raise the money needed to play these games. Again, I would not worry that taxpayer money is spent for these games, because, trust me, not a single penny of school taxes paid is going towards it.

What are the issues?

What are the issues..believe the poster doesn't know what they are talking about...every returning player is coming back from last year....

Why don't you move out of the area. You are not needed here. Hopefully you were not able to reproduce in this lifetime.

Outside of the sidebar comments, I think it will be a great year for our teams here in the STAC as well as within our Section. You have 2 teams who have a legitimate shot at a State Championship this upcoming season (Corning in AA and Afton in D) and several others who could contend, if the cards play out right. Will certainly be interesting.

What are the issues..believe the poster doesn't know what they are talking about...every returning player is coming back from last year....

dont be so sure as of now a few are still up in the air.

Archived