No shooting according to P&SB

Guest Kent Brockman

Guest Kent Brockman

Just about every newspaper website in America, and of course the major news outlets have the tragic shooting at Northern Illinois as the lead. Binghamton Press? Nothing.

Wouldn't it make sense to at least take the lazy route and run the AP Wire story? I refuse to buy the print edition, not sure if it's there. But if it isn't on the website odds are it didn't make the paper.

Couldn't a "reporter" have called BCC President or VP for Students at home for a quote? After all they are currently debating campus security and arming safety personnel.

Couldn't a "reporter" have called BU security for a comment, as well as Lois and her VP for students? Wouldn't the Press have those numbers on file? Couldn't BU have provided commentary about such incidents, being a similar mid-sized to large public institution? Could a clinician in the BU Counseling Center have provided commentary about the follow up to this that will be going on or about what BU and other schools do to address such situations?

I just gave some lamewad recent college grad a story outline and fully expect a royalty check for my efforts after the story runs- which ought to be sometime in the next month.

Good grief that paper is awful.

Just about every newspaper website in America, and of course the major news outlets have the tragic shooting at Northern Illinois as the lead. Binghamton Press? Nothing.

Wouldn't it make sense to at least take the lazy route and run the AP Wire story? I refuse to buy the print edition, not sure if it's there. But if it isn't on the website odds are it didn't make the paper.

Couldn't a "reporter" have called BCC President or VP for Students at home for a quote? After all they are currently debating campus security and arming safety personnel.

Couldn't a "reporter" have called BU security for a comment, as well as Lois and her VP for students? Wouldn't the Press have those numbers on file? Couldn't BU have provided commentary about such incidents, being a similar mid-sized to large public institution? Could a clinician in the BU Counseling Center have provided commentary about the follow up to this that will be going on or about what BU and other schools do to address such situations?

I just gave some lamewad recent college grad a story outline and fully expect a royalty check for my efforts after the story runs- which ought to be sometime in the next month.

Good grief that paper is awful.

We have a local News Paper?

Regarding that shooting at Northern Illinois University. I'm pretty sure that this will turn out to be yet another mass shooting in a "gun free zone."

It's not often that I actually advocate for a lawsuit, but in this case I think it's long overdue. Every time an institution declares itself a "gun-free zone," it is making an implicit promise to the public: "you don't need to protect yourself here -- indeed, we won't allow you to do so. Instead, we will protect you." And they simply are not keeping that promise.

In essence, they are constructing sheep pens with fences just high enough to keep the sheep in, but low enough for the wolves to leap over, and rarely bothering to even get any sheepdogs. (And most of the time, those sheepdogs are toothless.) Instead, they plaster their fences with "no wolves allowed" and trust in the power of those words to keep the predators at bay.

And how well is that working out?

Guest Press & SomeBullshyt

If it didn't come across the scanner in the "news room" then it didn't happen. I've never seen a news organization quote a scanner as a source like the parkway fishwrap does.

Well you are 100% wrong. Just click on NATION/WORLD and there it is. Been there since at least 5:30am when I read it there.

The main page is LOCAL news, you actually have to click on a link here or there for different sections, just like every newspaper site in America. All of the national sites (CNN, USA Today etc) have the national/world news on their main page, many of the city/community ones have local, many have national. Ours has local, which I for one like.

Wolf

As for that aspect, that usually comes in the following days, not the day after. It takes time you know.

Wolf

Guest Kent Brockman
Well you are 100% wrong. Just click on NATION/WORLD and there it is. Been there since at least 5:30am when I read it there.

The main page is LOCAL news, you actually have to click on a link here or there for different sections, just like every newspaper site in America. All of the national sites (CNN, USA Today etc) have the national/world news on their main page, many of the city/community ones have local, many have national. Ours has local, which I for one like.

Wolf

Thanks, Calvin Stovall. I'm not 100% wrong, as the information is NOT on the front of the webpage. It's buried in a link. I said in the first post that it was on sites as a lead, not a buried link accessed following a few clicks. A lead, which means front page news.

I only saw it on the front (web)page of the Syracuse, Buffalo, and Scranton papers so far, so my guess is that at least some other papers consider the event newsworthy.

But you're probably right- digging around for a national event that will garner most of the days ink and airwaves is a better idea than having it on the main page. Interesting to note that there was even a link on the home page (a link, but not buried) of the Elmira Star-Regret, also a Gannett rag.

But I'm glad that on the P&SB page I instead got to see links that will inform me how to detoxify my body, learn Irish Dance, inform me that the temperature in February may be cooler, and of course learn about the Ottoman Empire, which along with the rise of Kaiser Wilhelm presents one of the greatest threats to my security I've known in quite some time.

Enjoy the paper.

PSB reporters admit the web site is pretty much inadequate.

It's up to each reporter to upload their stories to the web. In the event of national news, I'm not sure who the burden falls on. Reporters are then to follow their stories comments and feedback on "story chat".

And the PSB web site isn't an easy user friendly forum style like BCVoice.. reporters have to use html code to upload stories. The web site needs a lot of work and so does the paper. But you really need to buy the paper in order to complain, otherwise you have no idea what's in it.

Guest another guest

Good grief that paper is awful. It was page one in the printed paper, and yes it is pretty bad (the paper, that is)

Thanks, Calvin Stovall. I'm not 100% wrong, as the information is NOT on the front of the webpage. It's buried in a link. I said in the first post that it was on sites as a lead, not a buried link accessed following a few clicks. A lead, which means front page news.

I only saw it on the front (web)page of the Syracuse, Buffalo, and Scranton papers so far, so my guess is that at least some other papers consider the event newsworthy.

But you're probably right- digging around for a national event that will garner most of the days ink and airwaves is a better idea than having it on the main page. Interesting to note that there was even a link on the home page (a link, but not buried) of the Elmira Star-Regret, also a Gannett rag.

But I'm glad that on the P&SB page I instead got to see links that will inform me how to detoxify my body, learn Irish Dance, inform me that the temperature in February may be cooler, and of course learn about the Ottoman Empire, which along with the rise of Kaiser Wilhelm presents one of the greatest threats to my security I've known in quite some time.

Enjoy the paper.

My point is this. NATIONAL stories like that are on the front page of the print edition. There is no need for it to be on the main page of a city newspaper website, even as a direct link. The nation/world link is fine.There are HUNDREDS of national news sites that have everything you want about that story, graphics, video, whatever and everyone knows where to find them. While I too am not crazy about the design of the P&SB site, I am glad it caters to LOCAL news first. It's right there and easy to find. You won't find our local news at any more than a handful of sites. The national news can easily be found elsewhere with more detail.

Wolf

Agree w/ this, Trump!!!

And guess what...the shooting story is at the top of the 1st page.

Yes, main story front and center of the newspaper, paper edition. The shooting story is a click away in the nation/world section. They don't put it on the main page because most people use national sites for national news. The BPSB is a local paper which mainlines local news, of which there is really not much to read. They carry a smattering of world/national stuff, but if you really want more of that, get the USA Today.

Archived