Mayweather vs. Pacquiao

27 Time World Champions

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

LOL. In the 70s and 80 there are years it would not have been in the top THREE in that YEAR.

Very true! This fight isn't the biggest by any means, but will make the most money. Mainly due to the world we live in now with social media and advanced technology.

Bigger fights than this one? Where do I begin? Louis v. Schmeling (either one especially the 2nd), Ali v. Frazier I & III, Ali v. Foreman, Holyfield v. Tyson I and II, Leonard v. Duran I and II, Leonard v. Hearns, Hearns v. Hagler and my all-time favorite... Leonard v. Hagler. Lots of others too years back with Tunney, Dempsey, Johnson, Jeffries, etc... The list literally goes on. Mayweather and Pacquiao just happen to live in the right time and will cash in.

I'll certainly watch with family and friends and have fun, but I don't see this as being much of a fight and don't have great expectations for the "Fight of the Century". It's going to be a 12-round unanimous decision for Mayweather. Look for fans to boo near the end and regret dishing out so much cash because it's not going to be the slugfest people expected and want. Mayweather has much better technique, strategy, power, he's taller, has more reach. This fight won't even be close. It's a good show and party. Not gonna be much of a fight.

Very true! This fight isn't the biggest by any means, but will make the most money. Mainly due to the world we live in now with social media and advanced technology.

Bigger fights than this one? Where do I begin? Louis v. Schmeling (either one especially the 2nd), Ali v. Frazier I & III, Ali v. Foreman, Holyfield v. Tyson I and II, Leonard v. Duran I and II, Leonard v. Hearns, Hearns v. Hagler and my all-time favorite... Leonard v. Hagler. Lots of others too years back with Tunney, Dempsey, Johnson, Jeffries, etc... The list literally goes on. Mayweather and Pacquiao just happen to live in the right time and will cash in.

I'll certainly watch with family and friends and have fun, but I don't see this as being much of a fight and don't have great expectations for the "Fight of the Century". It's going to be a 12-round unanimous decision for Mayweather. Look for fans to boo near the end and regret dishing out so much cash because it's not going to be the slugfest people expected and want. Mayweather has much better technique, strategy, power, he's taller, has more reach. This fight won't even be close. It's a good show and party. Not gonna be much of a fight.

I can see it going that way and I can also see it going the other way. At his age, Pac knows his skills and power are diminishing. He also knows his weakness is counterpunchers, a skill that Mayweather has always been well versed in.

Manny is a warrior in every sense of the word. I think he sees this as his last stand and he'll be bringing the best game he can possibly muster. He'll be in top shape and he'll have rehearsed his game plan so that it's virtually on autopilot. Floyd's skills may be just a shade better than Manny's, but his heart is not bigger. His ego surely is and that may be his downfall. I don't see Floyd wanting to go toe-to-toe with MP for more than a few 20 second spurts a few times per round. He'll get hit and hit hard. Manny also knows how to hit and get out.

Manny has faced bigger fighters and knocked them on their asses. He's not recently been the relentless aggressor he used to be, but I believe he can summon his old self for 12 more rounds. If he gets on Floyd and doesn't let up, he might catch him with a good combination. If he knocks him down early enough, Floyd will have to start running. Manny knows how to close off the ring.

Floyd is a master defensive fighter, as we all know. Defense wins Super Bowls, and so far, all of Floyd's fights. He put a hellacious beating on Arturo Gatti and that fight made me a big fan. He's also laid some stinkers using only his shoulder roll to get though the fight to payday. If he tries to coast too much (punch and duck) I see MP being ready and pressing the action.

I think Freddie will devise a way for Manny to get through that defense and get to FM. I see the distinct possibility of a three knockdown late round (do they still use that rule?) or Manny landing more power punches and squeaking out the win.

Manny will retire for good, but FM won't be able to....and it won't be because he needs the money.

Archived