Any opinions om Wimdows 10? (and may I vent a tad?)

JB 2

I was given a new HP with Windows 10 as a Christmas gift. I finally cranked it up a few days ago and the only reason I have not sold it or tossed it is out of respect for the giftgiver.

Compared to many on bcv I am far from computer literate but since my first computer back in the '90s I have never been so frustrated with an OS. An OS that seems to think even my personal photos and documents should be theirs to share with the world. Rest assured after the last few days this invasive POS will never have any personal photos nor writings on it.

I like Internet Explorer and have learned E9 is the newest version supported on Vista, and many sites do not function properly with that outdated browser. So much as I hate doing so my other computers/laptops are now ready to begin using Firefox

A machine should do what I want, not what it deems "easier and better" for me. As soon as I can save enough to buy them I am sh**canning Microsoft and going with a couple Macs.

To be honest you will probably find that the Mac OS and itunes (pics and media organizer) behaves in a lot of the same ways that you don't like with Win 10. There is a way to set Win up without linking to external online accounts but they don't make it obvious.

Thank You, and to OTR. I am begining to think of going back 100 % to SW and personal contact for privacy.

I might be a throwback but there is only one place I have ever ordered something online from and even have doubts now about that site, after getting a junk snail mail offer addressed to where few know.

Anything not on my facebook page is private and no business of anyone. Too many things have happened lately and it is looking to get worse so just call me paranoid and have a good laugh.

Again, thanks to both y'all for input.

Thank You, and to OTR. I am begining to think of going back 100 % to SW and personal contact for privacy.

I might be a throwback but there is only one place I have ever ordered something online from and even have doubts now about that site, after getting a junk snail mail offer addressed to where few know.

Anything not on my facebook page is private and no business of anyone. Too many things have happened lately and it is looking to get worse so just call me paranoid and have a good laugh.

Again, thanks to both y'all for input.

I don't think you're paranoid at all. The best way to protect your information is to not give it out in the first place. Even seemingly innoccuous information can easily be used against you. For example, I'm quite adept at finding the real person behind the online identity. I don't use any special tools, I use Google. Something like 80% of all people online (not a scientific measure by any means!) can be tracked back to their actual identity using just Google.

What's funny to me is that we partially learned this lesson a long time ago. Back when I started college, many schools used your social security number for all kinds of things: it was my student ID number, it was part of my student email account name and password. By the time I graduated, laws had been passed against schools doing that, and with good reason.

Yet, today, I go to get my hair cut and the first thing they ask for is my phone number.

/sigh

Aye, privacy invasion has been going on a long time but things have gone too far to simply ignore it. To just admit defeat even when feeling like I am trying to swim with West Coast Salmon during migration.(thank GOD for an old laptop that has never been near the internet and sd cards)

Let me share a humorous one . Since my first laptop with built in web cam I have taped over the mic and camera before first turning it on. This one is no exception. No doubt it is coincidence but this thing keeps popping a window up telling me my cam is unable to function because (the resolution is set too low, or my screen has been rotated". (

Like all of us I have learned to accept certain things, and fight back when possible. The snail mail offer sent me is probably just coincidence and it will not stop me from future purchases from the only site I ever have purchased from, but it does make one wonder.

JB 2, this is something that bothers us about Win 10 (and Apple) as well. Totally with you on that one.

On the internet you can find information about how to bypass the requirement for an email when you set up the Win 10 software. Also probably how to modify an "account" (you on your own pc) that has already been created.

I have been using Windows 10 for almost two years now beginning as an initial insider. I actually find it to be the most configurable and stable version since Windows 7. There is an option when you first set up Windows 10 to log in without a Microsoft account and use an anonymous identity instead but it is a bit obscure and in fine print that requires the operator to read carefully rather than to simply click next. Even with the Microsoft account Windows 10 can be configured to be as private and secure as the user wishes but this requires a bit of familiarity with the settings and features.

I have been using Windows 10 for almost two years now beginning as an initial insider. I actually find it to be the most configurable and stable version since Windows 7. There is an option when you first set up Windows 10 to log in without a Microsoft account and use an anonymous identity instead but it is a bit obscure and in fine print that requires the operator to read carefully rather than to simply click next. Even with the Microsoft account Windows 10 can be configured to be as private and secure as the user wishes but this requires a bit of familiarity with the settings and features.

The problem is that most people don't have the time or understand the fine print.

Microsoft should have set the default to max privacy and minimum information required. Of course they didn't because they are too busy wanting to know everything about you.

Bought a new HP Laptop 2 years ago and it has Windows 8 which has since been upgraded to 8.1. Microsoft has been bombarding me with all types of pop ups regarding the "advantage" of using 10 and it's a free upgrade for me. Wasn't overly impressed with 8 or 8.1 to be honest...seems to lean more towards touch screen technology. I've been debating downloading 10 which I hear takes a super long time AND it's full of user tracking programs. Also will not play MP3 's which aren't from accredited sources such as iTunes or any of the "legal" music services available. Anyone have an experience with how these things playout? Thanks ahead for any input.

Bought a new HP Laptop 2 years ago and it has Windows 8 which has since been upgraded to 8.1. Microsoft has been bombarding me with all types of pop ups regarding the "advantage" of using 10 and it's a free upgrade for me. Wasn't overly impressed with 8 or 8.1 to be honest...seems to lean more towards touch screen technology. I've been debating downloading 10 which I hear takes a super long time AND it's full of user tracking programs. Also will not play MP3 's which aren't from accredited sources such as iTunes or any of the "legal" music services available. Anyone have an experience with how these things playout? Thanks ahead for any input.

I refused to use Windows 8 or 8.1 because I hated them both. I stayed with Windows 7 until Window 10 was available to insiders. After trying it for a couple weeks on one PC I upgraded all my PCs and have never looked back. I have no issues playing any of my media files and they are almost exclusively pirated. Microsoft does not want it to be easy for users to install Windows 10 without creating and/or signing into a Microsoft account because they want to have all your info so that you can purchase apps from the Microsoft store similar to what Google does with their Android system. It is however not a difficult task to install Windows 10 without divulging any personal data and subsequently disallowing any transfer of personal info. If you have trouble making it work perhaps you can find a 5 year old to assist you! The kids today seem to know how to do it all!

Thanks Stray Cat......and yeah, the kids are way more up to date on this stuff. I was mostly worried about losing my MP3's and really don't want my info being sold out but at this point there's not really many left that haven't had their info compromised at least once somehow.....Maybe I'll take the dive and download it. Thanks again for the info.

That's been my fear as well, not being able to download tunes to my MP3 player. I use Youtube mp3 and Windows Media player for mine. Can anyone tell me if I make the switch from Windows 7 Home Premium to 10 will it work ok? Thanks.

You shouldn't have any problems. the default Windows 10 apps should handle those files without any problems. I use VLC Media Player for most of my media. http://www.videolan.org/vlc/index.html It will play almost anything and it is free open source software that will work on any operating system.

Basically Win 10 opens the doors to microsoft and all it's friends.

Simply go to settings, then privacy, then open up every link and click the off button. Turn it all off, making sure you click on every device, then off.

If you need Cortana, you can't turn off location. If you don't....turn it off. Turn off the "getting to know you" horse puckey. Turn off your advertising number, deny access to all.

Takes about 10 minutes.

Thanks, but after a couple days of learning I found a fun way to use this machine, other than limited usage.

Any of you remember the old IBM computer cards? Any of you ever enjoy punching new holes in them and covering the existing ones with "paper-mache" before sending them back?

Archived