Columbus Park

Jack McGurn

Christ, they'll probably burn the place down just like they did with the playground. How about Mayor David just give the money to the Police Athletic League for their programs and summer camp? Expand upon that.

On 6/22/2019 at 3:20 PM, Jack McGurn said:

Thank you WolfMan for the info.  Alas, it is as I presumed: The 'ol run it up the flag pole to see how it flies.

The genisis of the entire Columbus School/ Columbus Park scenario is that the 20th century center city 7th & 10th wards were composed for the most part of Italian-American families & businesses...much like the northside of Endicott. It made sense. It was at the time a reasonable and honorable attempt to celebrate our rich Italian heritage in our predominately Italian neighborhood..

This was obviously prior to today's accepted new "discovery" that Columbus was probably not the man we were led to believe he was. And in the main, the counties, cities, and communities across the nation have reacted by cancelling Columbus themed events, renaming, and in the extreme as here in Binghamton, desecrating & damaging public displays of the man. 

We Italian Americans are now asked to step back on the one day in the year that we are given to symbolically celebrate our rich heritage. We are a proud people with a noble & worthy culture to back it up.....but we will undoubtedly be made to step back on this issue. We will adjust & we will survive. Here locally however, what we Italians.......or the community at large....should never have to accept is seeing this as an opportunity by a few misguided individuals with an agenda to name a park after a convicted murderer.....that which they claim Columbus to have been over five centuries ago. 

Did you hear in NYC the Board of Education refused to put Columbus Day on this years school calendar? It's labeled Indigenous People's Day and Italian American Heritage Day.

• 1 month later...
On 5/10/2021 at 11:40 AM, Michael said:

Ginger is a racist and her comments are very hateful.

So can I assume you're caucasian? Yesterday I had to meet with a registered nurse I had never met. She's dark skinned Indian, stated she was from Great Britain but as the conversation progressed she slipped up and said she was from Guyana. Within ten minutes of meeting with her she told me everything she deemed important in her life story. She also insulted my job, twice accused me of being racist by virtue of the fact I'm white and trashed President Trump. TEN MINUTES. She also stated she is the victim of racism all the time. I said really? In NY people are racist against you? She said OHHHH YESSS. I pressed her further,  in ALBANY people are racist against you? because I travel all over this state and I just don't see New Yorkers behaving like that especially in nursing and she says "Well white people are racist they just don't know it but I can tell." 

I told her I treat people as unique individuals as per the NYS ANA Nurse Practice Act Code of Ethics but really, I never needed a piece of paper to tell me how behave. She throws her hands up in the air and says "Well I can be professional too." I told her I was sorry I didn't have time to have coffee and listen to her stories because clearly she had a lot to say. 

1 hour ago, ginger said:

So can I assume you're caucasian? Yesterday I had to meet with a registered nurse I had never met. She's dark skinned Indian, stated she was from Great Britain but as the conversation progressed she slipped up and said she was from Guyana. Within ten minutes of meeting with her she told me everything she deemed important in her life story. She also insulted my job, twice accused me of being racist by virtue of the fact I'm white and trashed President Trump. TEN MINUTES. She also stated she is the victim of racism all the time. I said really? In NY people are racist against you? She said OHHHH YESSS. I pressed her further,  in ALBANY people are racist against you? because I travel all over this state and I just don't see New Yorkers behaving like that especially in nursing and she says "Well white people are racist they just don't know it but I can tell." 

I told her I treat people as unique individuals as per the NYS ANA Nurse Practice Act Code of Ethics but really, I never needed a piece of paper to tell me how behave. She throws her hands up in the air and says "Well I can be professional too." I told her I was sorry I didn't have time to have coffee and listen to her stories because clearly she had a lot to say.

She can always return to Guyana.  Then at least she won't be around "racists".

8 hours ago, PeteMoss said:

She can always return to Guyana.  Then at least she won't be around "racists".

She's from Guyana but lived in England where the NIH apparently has no problems and the United States and Big Pharma are a bunch of greedy scum bags. She moved here to care for her parents and she's ticked off because she has 3 siblings who refused to help her...they live here. She thinks all of the people at January 6th were in Washington because they're racist. I couldn't get a word in edgewise and didn't want to. She's clearly brain washed...and at 70 yrs old, no appealing to her heart and mind. 

Her grandparents were wealthy property owners in Guyana and some government entity made them sign away their property then murdered them. So her family moved to England. I would have been interested in hearing those stories but she has a huge chip on her shoulder and I was on the run. All of that and more in ten minutes. 

^^^I hate playing dumb too because you all know I read White Fragility so I had to play stupid like I didn't comprehend the concept that she thinks everyone white is racist. Shocking people think like this. Sign her up with terrorist squad.

Well what a difference a couple of days made. Now that she understands I'm her advocate not her enemy. All of this drama because some obnoxious chick wrote a book and allow me to reiterate...it doesn't matter who she interacts with, black, white green..the author is ulterior in her motives. 

It's absurd, to believe white people are automatically racist because of their color. Especially New Yorkers. That's just silly.

^^Over the weekend I tried consulting with my daughter who thinks she's an expert on this subject. I started to tell her the story and she refused to listen, demanding I change the subject. She stated "EVERYONE WHITE IN AMERICA IS RACIST BECAUSE THAT'S HOW WE WERE ALL RAISED." 

Because she refused to talk about it I couldn't argue with her. Here's what I wanted to say...That's Bullshit. You weren't raised that way. You're father and I have friends of all sorts..not just friends, friends that are like family, attend all of their religious or otherwise events, their kids events, friends we've gone on vacation with. i have the pictures to prove it. Christ. her father travelled to Switzerland with one of our friends because his mother lived there..I couldn't go...work. 

Why she wants to believe this about herself and others is beyond me. I also recall the first time I went to pick her up at a school dance, she was swing dancing with a very good looking tall boy of Indian persuasion...a huge improvement over the goth kid she liked the year before. At the time I was so proud because all I ever wanted was for her to be nice to people, especially in highschool. I can't imagine how she got so brainwashed. It's upsetting.

^^^The minister at her grandparents methodist church was african and so was one of the priests at St Pauls...I don't know what the hell she is talking about.

• 11 months later...

What the hell? I just heard Kathy Whyte on WNBF refer to Columbus Park as ASSATA SHAKUR park.

Somebody ought to shut THAT down PDQ.

Last night I was speaking with a Mom of an eighth grade student. She was show me her daughter's dress and hair for prom. She was irked because her daughter wasn't having an 8th grade class trip.

She told me the reason they want to close schools isn't due to lack of students. She said it's because the students are so bad that teachers are leaving in droves.

But go ahead...keep venerating the bank robbing, prison escapee, cop killer. How Mayor Kraham can dignify this domestic terrorist is beyond my comprehension. It completely assaults my good nature.

Post edit..sorry I just remembered she said their class trip is at Rec Park. Couldn't take the kids to Cole Park, chicken BBQ ?

On 6/17/2022 at 7:08 AM, ginger said:

What the hell? I just heard Kathy Whyte on WNBF refer to Columbus Park as ASSATA SHAKUR park.

Somebody ought to shut THAT down PDQ.

I heard that too, and think it was a public service announcement script written by the organizers... eveN if written by Kathy, she was using info provided by the organizers. Unfortunately, proofing and editing is not done by any media for the most part anymore due to time constraints and other issues.