Sports but not sports really - Binghamton Press completely ignoring the Black Bears ice hockey team. Why?

WolfMan

• WolfMan changed the title to Sports but not sports really - Binghamton Press completely ignoring the Black Bears ice hockey team. Why?
4 hours ago, WolfMan said:

Anyone know why the Press has totally ignored even the existence of the team? They are in the playoff semifinals and never a syllable all season. No standings. Nothing. ???

I figure one must have really pissed off the other. Anyone know some facts as to why?

Don’t think it is a feud. The paper just doesn’t have the staff and resources to cover the games. It is a shell of its former self.

On 4/25/2023 at 9:50 PM, Solak Supporter said:

Don’t think it is a feud. The paper just doesn’t have the staff and resources to cover the games. It is a shell of its former self.

At first I was going to refute that. I know of the staff cuts/resources, even talked to Kevin Stevens about it over the recent year+, but why no standings, schedules etc? But then I realized there is no Rumble Ponies info either. So I checked other Gannett-owned papers in NYS figuring it may have been a Gannett decision. But most of them do have minor-league coverage of varying sorts. So who knows why nothing at all for the Bears and R-Ponies? 

At least we can check the league’s online pages/apps.

3 hours ago, WolfMan said:

At least we can check the league’s online pages/apps.

That may be the reason - little bang for the buck assigning scarce resources (staff) to publish something that is easily accessible other places.  Perhaps even more easily - you just bookmark the page and get the scores without wading through the rest of the stuff.  Really miss the concept of local journalism - sports and otherwise.  

Just this year, the Buffalo newspaper moved their printing operation to Cleveland and the Democrat Chronicle moved their printing out of Rochester to Jersey.

I think I read the job loss for Buffalo was 160 people. I doubt Kathy Hochul cares.