Binghamton Wi-Fi to be available soon

WolfMan

How many people really need to use thier computers outdoors downtown, and with Binghamton's weather, how many days a year will this WiFi actually be of any practical use?

Who says it has to be outdoors?

and if it is free - then who cares how many?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who says it has to be outdoors?

and if it is free - then who cares how many?

It's not "free", and if it not useable indoors, then in a climate like Binghamton's, something like this has very real practical limitations.

So, how many days a year will this be of actual use to anyone, and how many people really need use of their computers outdoors in downtown Binghamton?

Wow, you mean I can sit next to all the potholes and filth on downtown streets, and go online my computer? That's progressive! What equity! What justice! Right Tarik?

It's not "free", and if it not useable indoors, then in a climate like Binghamton's, something like this has very real practical limitations.

So, how many days a year will this be of actual use to anyone, and how many people really need use of their computers outdoors in downtown Binghamton?

You are oncorrrect on two counts. It is free, and it is available indoors. While it is important that people express their opinions about these kinds of things, it sure would help if their opinions had something to do with the facts.

I think it is great to have wifi downtown. I live downtown and it will be great to always be connected no matter where I am in Binghamton. It will also help get more people to live downtown, what a benefit! If you are so againist WIFI, please dont use it when it is ready, go home and pay for your own.

I think it is great to have wifi downtown. I live downtown and it will be great to always be connected no matter where I am in Binghamton. It will also help get more people to live downtown, what a benefit! If you are so againist WIFI, please dont use it when it is ready, go home and pay for your own.

Isn't that the point? Why don't people just pay for their own? Most people want the city maintaining streets, instead of playing around with technological fads.

Isn't that the point? Why don't people just pay for their own? Most people want the city maintaining streets, instead of playing around with technological fads.

I agree, why don't the people downtown pay for their own like the rest of us. Why should tax dollars go towards that when there are more important problems that need attention. I can see making a few hot spots in cafes and the like, but not downtown in general.

I agree - except of course the main part of your argument...They did not use our money - the money could not have been used for police, it was grant money for this puprpose. duh

Are you completely uninformed or just providing disinformation?

The City of Binghamton had to match the $29,000 from the state for a total of $58,000.

It is all taxpayer money.

In most cases IT WIlLL NOT WORK INSIDE. THE AREA COVERED IS LESS THAN HALF A SQUARE MILE.

A map of the proposed wireless network is available below.

http://www.cityofbinghamton.com/viewarticle.asp?a=2535

Additional Information:

/library/news-media/wifimap.pdf

Here is that map for those too lazy to click. Contrary to what the press release says the area covered is not one-square miles, not even close. I doubt Ryan and Abdelazim even know what a square miles it. This area is about 1/4 of a square mile, maybe less.

4354140704d5e6214595ef7e7d0eece02287a33822498d77b7826e91af498909fc7c36c6.jpg

His proletarian pose is a s phony as the day is long. This guy grew up with a tennis court and swimming pool in the yard, so can we please stop with the workers of world unite nonsense, and actually tend to real city business?

He still lives in mommy and daddy's basement.

I am "confidant" I don't know anyone named "cat's Eye", and if we are emulating other cities, how about if we emulate those that can pave their streets. That would actually be a start, instead of rich kid Che Guevara wannabe Tarik's feel good, self-indulgent, self administered hand job.

Well Ed, I figured it was you I was talking to all along. Your posts are all about Ryan, Tarik, and have the same pic. of downtown you posted on your last muni-wifi thread. You really need to get over this. We've all heard and understand how you feel about this issue. Move on.

And once again Ed, please start using your Username instead of hiding behind "Guest" all the time. Why don't you get rid of your Username with your real name and post a pseudonym like everyone else does. You won't be as shy about posting under the same identity and worrying about what others will think, because they really don't have to know your real name. Just stop hiding behind "Guest" and take some responsibility for what you post by linking it to one Username.

Well Ed, I figured it was you I was talking to all along. Your posts are all about Ryan, Tarik, and have the same pic. of downtown you posted on your last muni-wifi thread. You really need to get over this. We've all heard and understand how you feel about this issue. Move on.

And once again Ed, please start using your Username instead of hiding behind "Guest" all the time. Why don't you get rid of your Username with your real name and post a pseudonym like everyone else does. You won't be as shy about posting under the same identity and worrying about what others will think, because they really don't have to know your real name. Just stop hiding behind "Guest" and take some responsibility for what you post by linking it to one Username.

What a crock!

Having a username is taking responsibility!!!

What cowards.

Do you have any thoughts on the wifi system or only me?

I'm going to bed so hold any thoughts, though I doubt you have any.

Here we go again.

youngbinghamton and Cat Eye - The problem that I have with the WiFi project is how will it be supported when the grant runs out? With more tax payer dollars.

This will turn into another fiasco like the ballyhooed river walk. I remember the council saying that the walk was paid for by grant money. Guess what, the grant money eventually comes from the taxpayers.

Note to mayor and city council:

1) Find some way not to increase taxes to the residents who own property and businesses in the city by almost double digits.

2) Leave the alone and police department do their jobs. Maybe crime would decrease instead of increasing like it has over the past two years.

3) Since we are grant happy, find one to fix the roads.

4) Cut non-essential positions.

Feel free to use these suggestions as they might help.

TWS

Just in case everybody has not already figured it all out, the only reasons the City of Binghamton are not charging for their municipal wifi intenet acess is because; 1) nobody would want to pay for it; 2) They probably could not figure out how to collect the fees and montior the usage anyway.

I am "confidant" I don't know anyone named "cat's Eye", and if we are emulating other cities, how about if we emulate those that can pave their streets. That would actually be a start, instead of rich kid Che Guevara wannabe Tarik's feel good, self-indulgent, self administered hand job.

....add to that, reduce crime, pick up the garbage, get the streets plowed, and STOP RAISING TAXES on already overburdened residents.

Actually, I want the city to be doing what is good for the city. In my opinion that would include streets - police - fire - wi fi and many other things.

I agree, why don't the people downtown pay for their own like the rest of us. Why should tax dollars go towards that when there are more important problems that need attention. I can see making a few hot spots in cafes and the like, but not downtown in general.

Just out of curiosity, assuming you pay any taxes at all, how much of your tax money is going towards paying for this? It was my understanding that it cost $60,000. It is also my understanding it was a grant (I believe federal grant). that would mean that the $60,000 was paid for by 300 million people. Let's see now, that would mean that you pay a grand total of - less than a penny. WOW! sure you can afford that?

Now if just one person decides to spend an hour in a cooffee shop in downtown and has a cup of coffee and a sandwich, the sales tax alone on that purchase would be $1.20.

Also - just out of curiosity; ever hear of "cost benefit analysis"? It manes - measure the cost - against the benefit. Now using the above calculation, it would seem the benefit clearly out measures the cost.

Just out of curiosity, assuming you pay any taxes at all, how much of your tax money is going towards paying for this? It was my understanding that it cost $60,000. It is also my understanding it was a grant (I believe federal grant). that would mean that the $60,000 was paid for by 300 million people. Let's see now, that would mean that you pay a grand total of - less than a penny. WOW! sure you can afford that?

Now if just one person decides to spend an hour in a cooffee shop in downtown and has a cup of coffee and a sandwich, the sales tax alone on that purchase would be $1.20.

Also - just out of curiosity; ever hear of "cost benefit analysis"? It manes - measure the cost - against the benefit. Now using the above calculation, it would seem the benefit clearly out measures the cost.

Ever hear of arranging priorities? If you had a car that's engine was shot, tires were bald, and electrical system was on the fritz, would your first action be to install new seat covers?

The cost of the Wifi after the grant money is used up will be supplied by advertising fees from local businesses. When anyone logs on, their home page will be local advertisements for a few seconds. This will be a win win for the businesses and the people using the free wifi. It won't be difficult to find enough $ to pay for the wifi. Look at our local paper, turn on the tv. There is local advertising everywhere that businesses are willing to invest in.

Guest cat piss
The cost of the Wifi after the grant money is used up will be supplied by advertising fees from local businesses. When anyone logs on, their home page will be local advertisements for a few seconds. This will be a win win for the businesses and the people using the free wifi. It won't be difficult to find enough $ to pay for the wifi. Look at our local paper, turn on the tv. There is local advertising everywhere that businesses are willing to invest in.

Hey, what about advertisements embedded in the pavement that will pay for streets to be done?

More disinformation.

Why not read the thread before posting. If you had you would have seen that $29,000 came from a NY State grant that had to be matched with another $29,000 from the City of Binghamton, so ALL Binghamton residents are paying for this but only a very select few within a small section of the downtown area (about 1/4 square miles, not 1 square miles as stated in the press release, Ryan and Abdelazim probably do not know the difference) will be able to use this system. In fact, The Binghamton Regency Hotel is not even in the area.

Furthermore, these wifi antennas require line-of-sight to work so they will not work INSIDE most building unless those building install antenna and relays to a router, wireless or not. Residential users who plan to use this will have to sit by a window or on their front steps or porch.

The actually number of users on this thing will be so inconsequential nobody will advertise on it.

Even if they do, Tarik Abdelaizm himself said last fall that they expected only $18,000 or les per year in advertising AND users fees. Now we are told there are no user fees so this thing will lose $20,000 to $40,000 per year

More disinformation.

Why not read the thread before posting. If you had you would have seen that $29,000 came from a NY State grant that had to be matched with another $29,000 from the City of Binghamton, so ALL Binghamton residents are paying for this but only a very select few within a small section of the downtown area (about 1/4 square miles, not 1 square miles as stated in the press release, Ryan and Abdelazim probably do not know the difference) will be able to use this system. In fact, The Binghamton Regency Hotel is not even in the area.

Furthermore, these wifi antennas require line-of-sight to work so they will not work INSIDE most building unless those building install antenna and relays to a router, wireless or not. Residential users who plan to use this will have to sit by a window or on their front steps or porch.

The actually number of users on this thing will be so inconsequential nobody will advertise on it.

Even if they do, Tarik Abdelaizm himself said last fall that they expected only $18,000 or les per year in advertising AND users fees. Now we are told there are no user fees so this thing will lose $20,000 to $40,000 per year

Again, if this system can only be used outdoors, in a climate like Binghamton's how many days a year will it have any practical use, and how many people downtown really need to have use of their computers outside?

It just seems to be another piece of feel good symbology, with little or no practical benefit. Typical Ryan, and Tarik needs to get his head out of the clouds in his DELETED. "Equity and justice"? Come off it already.

Ever hear of arranging priorities? If you had a car that's engine was shot, tires were bald, and electrical system was on the fritz, would your first action be to install new seat covers?

a penny wont buy you a new engine or tires

Archived