Binghamton Wi-Fi to be available soon

WolfMan

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With all that said, I'm just not sure that this wifi will work out. I don't live downtown, and pay dearly for my aRoadrunner service. Hopefully Tarik & Matt will soon see it just & fair & equitable to expand the free service to the South side.

It might work for you on the South side. I've used it at the Park Diner. Inside btw and not by a window.

Are you sure that was the City of Bing MuniWiFi?

The Park Diner is nowhere near trhe area shown in the maps.

Not only that but their network is not operational yet!

Well, that is what they will try to do. They will pass off other networks as theirs. It is going to be a laugh when they stand outside in the wind and rain in March trying to find a place where the service works for their press conference, if indeed it is working in March.

A quick read of their "map" makes it pretty clear the only place of any practicial value where they will offer this muni wifi is in the Parlor City Commons for a few warm months. All of Binghamton is paying $60,000 for something that could have been done for $500 privately by bar & restaurant owners there.

BTW, did you see Norwich's use of muni wifi is the only practical use of the idea. It incorporates the municipal services like police and fire department into theirs. In Binghamton that was not necessary as they already have wifi access.

Are you sure that was the City of Bing MuniWiFi?

The Park Diner is nowhere near trhe area shown in the maps.

Well the map everyone keeps looking at is really old. And yes I'm sure. It said "binghamtonwifi" and I got the same sponsor page that was on the news last night.

Not only that but their network is not operational yet!

Actually the news article said the access points were installed and they were in the testing phase. And I'm positive I was on it at the Park Diner. Maybe these access points go farther than you think, or maybe the map they put up a year ago isn't accurate anymore.

He won't be able to answer that because he is lying.

Hi it's me again. The guy who got on at the Park Diner. I didn't eat at the diner today, but I stopped my car at the nearby TSB parking lot and it worked for me there too. And the network was called "binghamtonwifi" and I had to look at a sponsor's page and click to log in for free. I don't know where the access point is, but it worked. The sponsor's page btw has no sponsors, just "your ad here" type of images with a phone number.

Since I'm not a 12 year old, I'll refrain from calling you any names back. Try to lighten up a little guys.

You have no credibility any longer here Ed. I was one of your fans in the past, actually a friend. But your 0bsessions and tirades on here, in excess of 20,000 posts about the mayor are beyond anything that anyone else out here in the real owrld sees as anything but a very ill human being.

I have to agree with this post. I too once like Ed. I met him and thought he was a nice person. I even voted for Naima. All I can say as I read each of his posts is thank God she didn't win because he would have made everyone miserable just like he tries to do on BCV every day.! Ed, you have proven yourself to be a very strange, obsessive, arrogant, and cruel human being. I hope you consider leaving this forum.

I have to agree with this post. I too once like Ed. I met him and thought he was a nice person. I even voted for Naima. All I can say as I read each of his posts is thank God she didn't win because he would have made everyone miserable just like he tries to do on BCV every day.! Ed, you have proven yourself to be a very strange, obsessive, arrogant, and cruel human being. I hope you consider leaving this forum.

I got a signal pretty far down the west side. However, very weak and not secured.

TWS

I'm sure he'll get right on that!

:P

Guest, you have proven yourself to be a liar.

You do realize that this is only going to cost you $1.45, one time charge and will most likely make ten times that in sales tax collections alone - don't you? It is not about someone getting something for "free". It is about investing in our community in a way which increases tax collections to the degree of lowering yours. I can not think of a single program the city does that does not "spend" money getting no "return". This is the only one I know of that is actually an investment that will most likely even come close to not only paying for it's self, but making the city money.

Now will it work? who the hell knows, not me (I think it will, but no one has a crystal ball). But... I am willing to fork over my $1.45 to see.

$1.45 here $1.45 there.....A little bit for wi fi, a little bit for the riverwalk, a little bit for this, alittle bit for that... Just in case you haven't noticed lately....A little bit can add up to alot....

It is a ridiculous premise in the first place.

When a city is on the verge of financial insolvency and taxes are rising withotu restraint, you do not engage in in this window-dressing type project, especially when it has failed everywhere else.

Hi it's me again. The guy who got on at the Park Diner. I didn't eat at the diner today, but I stopped my car at the nearby TSB parking lot and it worked for me there too. And the network was called "binghamtonwifi" and I had to look at a sponsor's page and click to log in for free. I don't know where the access point is, but it worked. The sponsor's page btw has no sponsors, just "your ad here" type of images with a phone number.

Since I'm not a 12 year old, I'll refrain from calling you any names back. Try to lighten up a little guys.

Im curious where were you. I was on state st in front of the bars last night and the only signals I found, aside from the secured ones, was the holiday inn and ucs. There is one called free public wifi whitch is unsecured with a full signal but no conection.

Im curious where were you. I was on state st in front of the bars last night and the only signals I found, aside from the secured ones, was the holiday inn and ucs. There is one called free public wifi whitch is unsecured with a full signal but no conection.

Thank you for providing that information.

I assume the poster claiming to have logged on is lying.

Let's see if the psoter can offer a specific location.

We can go test it out ourselves.

Interesting that there are already so many secured wifi networks in the same area.

Tell us why we need a public one when some establishments already have their own?

Archived