cps worker did not know the kid was dead????????

Guest Guest

They are overworked and underpaid. I am a teacher and believe me, we have no great love for DSS and CPS, but let's be fair. They are hobbled by ridiculous rules...I believe it is correct when they said that if a caseworker is denied permission to enter, that is the end of it, they don't get in....how incredibly retarded is that rule?

It is just too easy to point fingers and blame CPS when, ya know what? It is the fault of all of us. Chilren are treated, as one poster said, as chattel and they are OWNED. We allow this to go on and on and on. Children, right here in this city and county are beaten and starved (OK generally not starved but certainly go very very hungry and are underweight), poorly and inappropriately clothed, dirty, and unloved with parents that are demented, angry and full of hate. Then we all squawk and scream when something like this happens...it is inevitable.

The rule of keeping families together as is ridiculous. Time to put our money where our mouths are and get some decent facilities to CARE for the UNCARED and the powerless.

They are overworked and underpaid. I am a teacher and believe me, we have no great love for DSS and CPS, but let's be fair. They are hobbled by ridiculous rules...I believe it is correct when they said that if a caseworker is denied permission to enter, that is the end of it, they don't get in....how incredibly retarded is that rule?

It is just too easy to point fingers and blame CPS when, ya know what? It is the fault of all of us. Chilren are treated, as one poster said, as chattel and they are OWNED. We allow this to go on and on and on. Children, right here in this city and county are beaten and starved (OK generally not starved but certainly go very very hungry and are underweight), poorly and inappropriately clothed, dirty, and unloved with parents that are demented, angry and full of hate. Then we all squawk and scream when something like this happens...it is inevitable.

The rule of keeping families together as is ridiculous. Time to put our money where our mouths are and get some decent facilities to CARE for the UNCARED and the powerless.

First off Im not going to sit here and pretend that I know what exactly happened in this case or what was in the mind of the cps worker or all the rules that they have to follow other than they can be refused entry to any home whitch Im sure happens to them at least half the time they go to homes and later they find out the child is and was fine sitting there acting like the worker just gave up is rediclous. Secondly why is comming down so had on the owrker when even if she/he discovered immedatly that he was dead the fact still remains the poor kid is still gone.

First off Im not going to sit here and pretend that I know what exactly happened in this case or what was in the mind of the cps worker or all the rules that they have to follow other than they can be refused entry to any home whitch Im sure happens to them at least half the time they go to homes and later they find out the child is and was fine sitting there acting like the worker just gave up is rediclous. Secondly why is comming down so had on the owrker when even if she/he discovered immedatly that he was dead the fact still remains the poor kid is still gone.
Well guess I should have proof read this but you get my point

The article in today's paper made me physically ill. The CPS worker didn't realize he was DEAD??? How can that be? They were "Met at the door" by the brother? Wouldn't that set alarm bells off in your head if he wouldn't let you in? Shouldn't they have at least ASKED to see the boy? This just makes it all that much worse than it already was. Obviously the brother knew he was dead. I hope they bring the death penalty back for him.

every case that involves a death and DSS is involved is investigated by the state- this too was in the article today. Everyone wants to blame the CPS worker . We do not know all of the details. These workers aren't just going to ignore a dead child.

I agree and lets add to the fact that all information on this horrible death isnt known. Fact is you are allowd to refuse the entry of a cps worker and if that was the case, whitch Im not saying is the case because we just dont know if the worker contacted the aunt he/she did their job. Any blame placed should go to the rightfull owner of it,The brother.

They have like two months to investigate. They may have gotten an order or somehting but at that time what would make it imminent?Remembver, the school said that they called in a report b/c the kid wasn't in school (prbably not a top proiority to CPS but one they look into) they were never todl, possible murder occured, child coudl be dead, etc.

Lets pull our heads out of our a$$es and think about this picture as a whole. CPS are not police, they can't force themselves into a home.

Give them a break, when they remove a druggie's child whose kids tested positive TWICE, they are heartless and won't leave families alone. When they get a call for missing school and it turns out a child is dead (already) it is there fault. They are burned on both ends.

s t

It is nobodys fault but the brother's, period. CPS / DSS is so under staffed that it is impossible to spend the necessary time and effort when required. It's a puppy mill of paperwork. Close the case as soon as possible and move onto the next one because the cases are piling up. Trying to determine false reports from credible ones. Not being able to just walk in and physically check the welfare which would answer the question. It's crazy. If they have to do the job then you have to give them the tools and authority to do the job. By the way, that's just the tip of the iceberg. BC Family Court is also lax. It takes an act of God to pull an at risk child from a home (even if the parent(s) failed the last 3 drug tests and can't even take care of themself). Risk the child's welfare and potential to keep the family unit together. I could go on and on but it will always be business as usual. We will all post about this again after the next victim, and the next, and the next. Don't blame the worker, blame the system. Until the system changes, there will be no change.

Guest Patricia

What is keeping me awake at night is this: that young boy went to bed, all alone, and God knows what he experienced before he finally died from his injury. We lost a son, and the only consolation we had was that he died painlessly, and was surrounded by people who loved him.

Nobody is blaming the CPS/DSS worker for the death, only for his blatent disregard for his job and the people that they are supposed to protect. The DSS cries "understaffed" every time something like this comes up. The DSS/CPS workers are typical of what our local government has become, unaffective. We have built a government that does not serve and protect the people, it serves and protects itself! Abolish local government and start over, maybe we can get it right the second time!

Nobody is blaming the CPS/DSS worker for the death, only for his blatent disregard for his job and the people that they are supposed to protect. The DSS cries "understaffed" every time something like this comes up. The DSS/CPS workers are typical of what our local government has become, unaffective. We have built a government that does not serve and protect the people, it serves and protects itself! Abolish local government and start over, maybe we can get it right the second time!

I could not agree more!!! Thank you!!

The CPS worker did as much as they could. The good thing is that no civil rights or liberties were violated. You can't just walk in the home. How many calls of kids not attending school do you think CPS gets. How many missing persons are reported that are actually runaways (for the tenth time I might add). Do you expect an AMBER Alert for each one? Call in the dogs and the helicopters. Unless you treat each report the same this is what you are going to get. Then, when you do treat each report the same people will cry that their precious rights were violated when CPS walked right in their home to check on their child that was "just skipping school" the last few days. That would be another BC Voice post and we can all bash the CPS worker instead of the system.

honestly - i don't see why everyone is coming down so hard on the guy. sure - any cps worker should never miss whether or not a child is dead - i mean that is super shocking - BUT - THE CHILD WAS ALREADY DECEASED! you guys are acting as if the worker would have been able to stop the death, and that's just not the case........

I agree, the chief complaint was the child was not in school and it was a possible non-supervisor issue. When the DSS worker got there he/she found his adult brother, at which time they did not suspect anything had physically happened to the child. The school should also follow State protocol by calling the NYS Hot line instead of calling Broome County DSS directly, This was found to be the delay in response to their complaint. The Law requires the school to call the hot line, not the local DSS.

I agree, the chief complaint was the child was not in school and it was a possible non-supervisor issue. When the DSS worker got there he/she found his adult brother, at which time they did not suspect anything had physically happened to the child. The school should also follow State protocol by calling the NYS Hot line instead of calling Broome County DSS directly, This was found to be the delay in response to their complaint. The Law requires the school to call the hot line, not the local DSS.

except...don't you think that DSS knew this family? Was this an open case already?...if so it makes perfect sense for the school to call local services first. "The Law" requires the school officials to use their best judgement. It seems that they did not have any proof that abuse/neglect had occurred, but they may have been concerned, knowing the family situation. Therefore, it seems that thinking they didn't have enough to hotline it, they called local services looking for help. And they got...none.

Sorry, I know that DSS is overworked, and overburdened...but it comes down to which worker responds. Some are very caring and very competent...others are burnt to a crisp and just totally useless. It's the luck of the draw...unfortunately for this child and many others.

What is keeping me awake at night is this: that young boy went to bed, all alone, and God knows what he experienced before he finally died from his injury. We lost a son, and the only consolation we had was that he died painlessly, and was surrounded by people who loved him.

I'm very sorry for your loss...

UN-FREAKING BELIEVABLE!

This idiot better get fired! There is NO WAY in the bule hell that any CPS employee could go to investigate this and not know that the kid was DEAD for Christ's sake! :angry:

What do you expect from a county or State worker..probably on their way to dunkin donuts instead..had to hurry.

honestly - i don't see why everyone is coming down so hard on the guy. sure - any cps worker should never miss whether or not a child is dead - i mean that is super shocking - BUT - THE CHILD WAS ALREADY DECEASED! you guys are acting as if the worker would have been able to stop the death, and that's just not the case........

He should have asked to speak to the kid..but he was in a hurry for coffee and donuts..

I don't believe that CPS crired "understaffed" posters in this blog did. We don't know that the CPS worker did anything wrong at all!

I am tired of everyone blaming CPS and accusing them of doing wrong. This adult brother was the offender, he is at fault. Whether CPS was involved in the family or not makes no difference. Are they supposed to live with the families 24/7 or should they be trained in reading the future and knowing that this horseplay incident would get out of hand and result in a death. I mean, come one!

And belive me, that school didn't call because they were concerned the boy was injured. If they felt that, they are mandated to call the HOTLINE and report exactely that. Believe me, I work in the school system, I know.

I believe that if CPS had responded to the schools complaint on Tuesday when they were made aware of the situation that Peter may have been saved. Broome County DSS knew the circumstances with this case and just the fact that his grandmother, who was his caregiver, was hospitalized should have persuaded them to take the incentive and check on the welfare of this child. This is not the first time that this Deparatments lack of action has contributed to the death of a child, there have been many other cases in Broome County. One case had to do with the mother beating her toddler to death, another case where CPS was involved and knew the circumstances, but chose to leave the child with the mother. In that particular case, if memory serves me right, I believe the father was trying to get custody, but CPS did not agree.

In any event, DSS should be held accountable and because of past blunders should be investigated, it seems that Mr. Johnson (Head of this Department) is trying to blame the State, but that doesn't work for me, this happened on "his watch" and I'm sure if they had in fact responded on TUESDAY when they were originally called that the State would not reprimand them. What exactly has to happen before they take ACTION ! It was a judgement call and they made the wrong one, again !

Archived