Day of Silence

Guest Guest

Guest Guest

Why not a day of silence on a weekend? Why disrupt school?

No, this is about incrementalism. This year it is a day of silence. Every year they will ramp it up to a final conclusion.

Does this mean that if their house is on fire they will not call 911 but they will send a letter to the fire station?

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

A day of silence on the weekend would be a step in the right direction. With NY schools ranking so low in the nation we cannot afford to lose another instruction day. Maybe an afternoon of silence for any kid that wants to stay after school?

I have no problem with teaching tolerance (although I do not believe it can be taught per se, but rather should be modeled). I have serious issues with selecting a single group to be singled out for tolerance education. What's next? Be nice to long haired people day? Shake the hand of heterosexuals day? Exchange pleasant remarks to tall people day? Take an Italian to lunch day? Send a card to musicians day? As usual our local schools are jumping on the bandwagon for the latest fad.

Early count of participants include:

BINGHAMTON HIGH SCHOOL

HORACE MANN SCHOOL

HORSEHEADS SR HIGH SCHOOL

ITHACA SR HIGH SCHOOL

NEWFIELD HIGH SCHOOL

UNADILLA VALLEY HIGH SCHOOL

So you don't like black history month?

Guest Guest

Schools teach tolerance except when it comes to God and Creation. They have their own agenda and do not want people learning anything else but evolution.....so where is the tolerance in that?

Schools teach tolerance except when it comes to God and Creation. They have their own agenda and do not want people learning anything else but evolution.....so where is the tolerance in that?

God and creation are based on FAITH. Evolution is based on SCIENCE. Science is provable (it deals in truths) while Faith is based on an individual's beliefs. There are lots of gods: God, Buddha, Vishnu, Mohammad, Gods of Nature, etc. Would you propose teaching about all of those? If you let one in the door, you have to let them all in.

Guest Guest
I have no problem with teaching tolerance (although I do not believe it can be taught per se, but rather should be modeled). I have serious issues with selecting a single group to be singled out for tolerance education. What's next? Be nice to long haired people day? Shake the hand of heterosexuals day? Exchange pleasant remarks to tall people day? Take an Italian to lunch day? Send a card to musicians day? As usual our local schools are jumping on the bandwagon for the latest fad.

BINGHAMTON HIGH SCHOOL

HORACE MANN SCHOOL

ITHACA SR HIGH SCHOOL

NEWFIELD HIGH SCHOOL

Yes, it is all a "fad." Why, just the other day, I read in the paper someone was murdered because he had long hair. And then, last week, there was that murder of someone who was killed just because he was tall!

YOU ARE A MORON! Maybe if people like you were not filled with such disdain for others, there wouldn't be a need for a day of silence.

Guest Guest

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 7 2008, 09:30 AM)

BINGHAMTON HIGH SCHOOL

HORACE MANN SCHOOL

ITHACA SR HIGH SCHOOL

NEWFIELD HIGH SCHOOL

I'm not wild about Black History Month. Why? I think we cause problems by highlighting people's differences (ethnic, sexual or otherwise). I am not a fan of Women's History Month, Asian Language Week, White Males Month, Irish-Polish-German-Chinese Heritage Month, I Look Like a Dog But Am Really a Guy Month and all the others that have been manufactured in the past decade.

Guest Guest
God and creation are based on FAITH. Evolution is based on SCIENCE. Science is provable (it deals in truths) whild Faith is based on an individual's beliefs. There are lots of gods: God, Buddha, Vishnu, Mohammad, Gods of Nature, etc. Would you propose teaching about all of those? If you let one in the door, you have to let them all in.

What "science" is "tolerance" based on?

Guest Guest
Yes, it is all a "fad." Why, just the other day, I read in the paper someone was murdered because he had long hair. And then, last week, there was that murder of someone who was killed just because he was tall!

YOU ARE A MORON! Maybe if people like you were not filled with such disdain for others, there wouldn't be a need for a day of silence.

Why is there is no "day of silence" in honor of the normal people killed by homosexuals?

QUOTE (Guest @ Mar 7 2008, 09:30 AM)

BINGHAMTON HIGH SCHOOL

HORACE MANN SCHOOL

ITHACA SR HIGH SCHOOL

NEWFIELD HIGH SCHOOL

I'm not wild about Black History Month. Why? I think we cause problems by highlighting people's differences (ethnic, sexual or otherwise). I am not a fan of Women's History Month, Asian Language Week, White Males Month, Irish-Polish-German-Chinese Heritage Month, I Look Like a Dog But Am Really a Guy Month and all the others that have been manufactured in the past decade.

Oh, my bad. You have obviously given this much thought and consideration. It must be "thoughtful and considerate posting" month on BC Voice.

Guest Guest
I am assuming you are gay. I would leave you alone and usually do until your kind try to push your way of life on us normal people. Stop trying to train our children that its "OK" to be gay and that it is NORMAL! Leave us alone, I will leave you alone.

The only thing I can possibly say is that you're paranoid.

With your outlook on life, you'll never understand what I was saying, so I won't bother trying to explain it.

No, I'm not gay.

Guest Guest

1. TOLERANCE includes rights for those who believe in a god and have moral values against the gay lifestyle. The Gay Day can only be validated if those who believe in a god can have EQUAL RIGHTS in the schools.

2. So what if some gay kid got murdered? Thousand of Christians are persecuted and murdered by Islamic radicals every year. I would be happy to post several links if the gay community is ignorant enough to challenge this statement. I dont see the public schools doing anything to recognize Christians being murdered or persecuted.

This entire issue hinges on EQUAL RIGHTS AND TOLERANCE FOR ALL- This includes Christians. There is no phobia, there is simply desire for equal rights and fair treatment. If its good for the gays it must be OK for the Christians. If the gays want to cry- homophobe- then what are they- Christophobes? The gay community needs to put their phobia and their sexual preferences away and focus on being part of the human race. The fact that they must put their sexual preference in front of everything they say and do shows a lot of insecurities and need for special attention. Nobody cares if you are gay, it is insignificant and irrelevant- Just shut up and be a part of society, or go make your own little society somewhere on an island where you can talk about your preferences all day. The vast majority of the human race isnt interested in what turns you on, most of us have real lives with real jobs and dont have time to waste with your agenda.

Guest Guest
2. So what if some gay kid got murdered? Thousand of Christians are persecuted and murdered by Islamic radicals every year.

I love your comparison of kids getting murdered here in the US to what people do halfway around the world.

What does our Justice system and penal laws have to do with semi-civilized, illiterate half breeds on the other side of the planet?

1. TOLERANCE includes rights for those who believe in a god and have moral values against the gay lifestyle. The Gay Day can only be validated if those who believe in a god can have EQUAL RIGHTS in the schools.

2. So what if some gay kid got murdered? Thousand of Christians are persecuted and murdered by Islamic radicals every year. I would be happy to post several links if the gay community is ignorant enough to challenge this statement. I dont see the public schools doing anything to recognize Christians being murdered or persecuted.

This entire issue hinges on EQUAL RIGHTS AND TOLERANCE FOR ALL- This includes Christians. There is no phobia, there is simply desire for equal rights and fair treatment. If its good for the gays it must be OK for the Christians. If the gays want to cry- homophobe- then what are they- Christophobes? The gay community needs to put their phobia and their sexual preferences away and focus on being part of the human race. The fact that they must put their sexual preference in front of everything they say and do shows a lot of insecurities and need for special attention. Nobody cares if you are gay, it is insignificant and irrelevant- Just shut up and be a part of society, or go make your own little society somewhere on an island where you can talk about your preferences all day. The vast majority of the human race isnt interested in what turns you on, most of us have real lives with real jobs and dont have time to waste with your agenda.

Since you are preaching tolerance so loudly, what's wrong with having a day to commemorate the thousands of people injured or killed in hate crimes? Can't you tolerate it for a day? "So what if some gay kid got murdered?" Your compassion is overwhelming. I'll bet some of those "thousands of christians... murdered by Islamic radicals every year" are gay. You are ill informed and closed minded. I truly feel sorry for you.

Guest Guest

Since you are preaching tolerance so loudly, what's wrong with having a day to commemorate the thousands of people injured or killed in hate crimes? Can't you tolerate it for a day? "So what if some gay kid got murdered?" Your compassion is overwhelming. I'll bet some of those "thousands of christians... murdered by Islamic radicals every year" are gay. You are ill informed and closed minded. I truly feel sorry for you

No problem practicing tolerance. Wish it could be done outside the academic day.

Guest Guest
Since you are preaching tolerance so loudly, what's wrong with having a day to commemorate the thousands of people injured or killed in hate crimes? Can't you tolerate it for a day? "So what if some gay kid got murdered?" Your compassion is overwhelming. I'll bet some of those "thousands of christians... murdered by Islamic radicals every year" are gay. You are ill informed and closed minded. I truly feel sorry for you

No problem practicing tolerance. Wish it could be done outside the academic day.

Yes. No point in having kids "practice" tolerance during school hours! Good God ! Next we'll be asking kids to act like human beings!

Guest Guest
Thank you - my sentiments exactly.

Apparently, there are a lot of sick parents out there who are so homophobic, the thought of teaching tolerance in schools is a horrendous act. It is no surprise that as a result, people end up being murdered simply because of their sexual orientation. The recent murder of Lawrence King, a fifteen-year old, is a perfect case in point. It all starts with conditioning people into believing it is ok to hate, mock, ridicule someone and think of them as less worthy of rights than anyone else. From there, the next step is not so difficult to take, is it? And you parents who are so against your children being taught TOLERANCE are pathetic and share equal blame for the harm and suffering that is done to others as a result.

There are alot of people that are homophobic and for good reason. A major malfunction in human society should be feared.

Guest Guest
There are alot of people that are homophobic and for good reason. A major malfunction in human society should be feared.

Then, by all means, lock your doors and windows and get out your tin foil hats! :blink:

Guest Guest

I have never seen so many hateful, homophobic posts in all my life - let alone twisted logic, arrogance, ignorance and stupidity. It would be impossible to respond to each of these inane posts on here. You people (and you know which ones I mean) are sick and disturbed individuals.

Guest Guest
Then, by all means, lock your doors and windows and get out your tin foil hats! :blink:

Dont need to lock doors... dont need tin foil hats.... NEED to keep MAJOR MALFUNCTIONS out of our schools.

Guest Guest

I see that someone stated tolerance begins at home. One of my best friends is gay. My son hates gay people. I didn't teach him that. I've had a few gay friends over the years. So, if I didn't teach him...who did?

Guest Straight
You scared, terrifed, and ill informed person. Chances are you are a woman but if not...even worse.

Stop the fear, which leads to hate, and focus on the fact that people are recognizing they have a voice and will no longer be forced to live in hiding.

It is terrifying to know that there is such anger and hate breeding in our community. If you don't like something, then do not participate but keep the scare tactics to yourself please.

Let me guess...high school education?

Here's a couple of reasons the OP is correct:

....But syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease that was so rare by 1998 that federal health officials had planned to declare it eliminated by 2005, has made a troubling comeback in New York City and across the nation. In the first three months of this year, more than twice as many syphilis cases were diagnosed than were in the first quarter of 2006, according to the city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

.....In recent years, the disease has been most common in men who have sex with men. But now, health officials say they are concerned about an increase in cases among women in New York, following a trend seen nationally beginning in 2005. After a decade with almost no female cases, health officials said the jump among women was possibly fueled by an increase in the number of men having sex with both men and women.

Get back in the closet you fruitcake. should DELETED be lynched. This crap should never be promoted in schools. (And I have a MS in a very technical subject from Syracuse U.)

Here's a couple of reasons the OP is correct:

....But syphilis, a sexually transmitted disease that was so rare by 1998 that federal health officials had planned to declare it eliminated by 2005, has made a troubling comeback in New York City and across the nation. In the first three months of this year, more than twice as many syphilis cases were diagnosed than were in the first quarter of 2006, according to the city Department of Health and Mental Hygiene.

.....In recent years, the disease has been most common in men who have sex with men. But now, health officials say they are concerned about an increase in cases among women in New York, following a trend seen nationally beginning in 2005. After a decade with almost no female cases, health officials said the jump among women was possibly fueled by an increase in the number of men having sex with both men and women.

DELETED

What's the "very technical subject?" You are a liar and a troll, with no degree and nothing better to do.

Go get your shinebox.

Archived