Any one else suffer from this?

Guest Small Town Jimmy

Guest Small Town Jimmy

Dear BC Voice,

With the rash of relevant and cutting edge questions lately, I wanted to add mine. This is extremely personal and potentially embarrassing...thank heavens for board anonymity and deep compassion.

Every so often I get a white clump of stuff forming in the cavities around my tonsils in the back of my throat. When this first began occurring, try as I might, I could never dislodge the offending substance. But mysteriously, the clump would often dislodge itself at the most inopportune and awkward of times, mind you--while sitting in class, while talking with a friend, while engaged in sporting activities, etc--as if it had a mind of its own. This had me feeling so disgusted that I couldn't dream of swallowing the clump, so I would have to find sneaky ways to expel it from my mouth while in public.

Well, one day it happened at home and I got a hold of the little guy. It was the foulest, most disgusting smelling thing I had or have since ever smelled.

At one point of my career, I was translating for a French doctor, and while examining a patient he identified a piece of similar stuff in the patient's mouth, pointed it out to me, and told me it was called "Tonsil Cheese". Alas! I felt relieved to know that I did not suffer alone from such a strange ailment. But, feeling too embarrassed and not wanting to waste the doctor's time with the actual patients, I passed up the opportunity to ask him further about the so-called "cheese".

Upon learning this information, I taught myself how to, with the use of the pointed end of an unfolded paper clip, dislodge the substance on my own. By the way, I would not recommend this--sometimes I think it's a little dangerous and could potentially cause bleeding or infection. Nevertheless, the skill proved to be most advantageous as I was now able to rid myself of the stuff at will, instead of having to worry about whether or not (as often occurred in my nightmares) the "cheese" would become dislodged during a date, or worse, during a good-night kiss, thus dashing any hopes of eternal marriage. Luckily, it all worked out--and wouldn't you know? My wife gets tonsil cheese too! Funny how after a few years of marriage this stuff all gets hashed out.

And so now, I come to you, dear BC Voice. I have suffered from this problem (well, really just a slight annoyance) for most of my adult life. Information on the internet is splotchy. After fruitlessly attempting several remedies including extensive mouth washing, teeth brushing, and water picking, my wife and I are wondering three things:

1. What causes tonsil cheese?

2. How do you prevent it?

3. What is a safe way to dislodge it?

Guest Guest

It's yeast. There are several Rx antifungals you can use. Cheapest is Nystatin Oral Susp. You can also use (seriously) Nystatin Vaginal Tablets, and suck on them while they dissolve in your mouth. Mycelex also has a troche which can be used.

Guest Guest

I have had that problem in the past where that stuff gets lodged in the back of my throat and it's gross. You are right, it smells like crap. Stupid little white balls of gunk. I have very long fingernails so I used to just scoop it out while choking on my finger. Fortunatly, the problem (and whatever was causing it) is long gone. I did deal with it for a few years though. It's gross. I always thought it had something to do with the fact that I always had sinus problems.

Guest Guest
Now I am glad I sat down for luch and decided to read this!

Anyone want my chicken and broccoli?

Depends...are there any little white cheese lumps in it? LOL.

Guest Guest
Now I am glad I sat down for luch and decided to read this!

Anyone want my chicken and broccoli?

Throw some feta cheese on it and I'll take it.

Guest Guest

wow, just spit my pepsi all over the screen after reading this LMAO ... (cheese chucks anyone)

jmower71

miss m ...... (cant log in at work)

Tonsil stones can create a condition known as Halitosis, which is a stubborn bad breath and taste disorder many people suffer from.

Tonsil stones, also called tonsilloliths, are those nasty whitish/yellow colored, foul-smelling, lumps on your tonsils. These tonsil stones are caused by an accumulation of sulfur-producing bacteria and debris that becomes lodged in the tonsils. This debris, which includes mucous from post nasal drip, putrifies in the back of your throat, and collects in what are called the tonsil crypts. These tonsil crypts are small divots or pockets which appear on the surface of the tonsils, in which the tonsil stones may accumulate.

If you have well water that also causes them, They are nasty

Guest Guest
Tonsil stones can create a condition known as Halitosis, which is a stubborn bad breath and taste disorder many people suffer from.

Tonsil stones, also called tonsilloliths, are those nasty whitish/yellow colored, foul-smelling, lumps on your tonsils. These tonsil stones are caused by an accumulation of sulfur-producing bacteria and debris that becomes lodged in the tonsils. This debris, which includes mucous from post nasal drip, putrifies in the back of your throat, and collects in what are called the tonsil crypts. These tonsil crypts are small divots or pockets which appear on the surface of the tonsils, in which the tonsil stones may accumulate.

If you have well water that also causes them, They are nasty

Thanks for all that info! I was the one who posted above that I always thought they had something to do with my sinuses. Had a feeling it did! Thanks again!

Guest slowpoke
HACK COUGH COUGH COUGH .. ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwe... just plain ewwwwwwwwwwwwwe!!

thanks for the warning about eating, but god........ still UGH

i just watched that...........OMG!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Guest

This is so nasty! My daughter has this same problem and she is only 8 yrs. old! She has been experiencing this for a few months. We had no idea what it was. I'm so glad someone had the same problem and posted about it! We watched the Youtube video and it confirmed our thoughts! Thanks to the OP!

Guest lonehunter

A couple shots of grain alcohol will kill all of the cheese. Everclear brand could be brought in PA.

If that doesn't work at least you will feel good.

Guest guest

My friend from work was constanting having these white things grow in her tonsils. She was constantly sticking things down her throat to dislodge them. She went to ENT he told her it was bacteria growing from the drainage from her sinus's. She had her tonsils out, and has not had any problems since.

Archived