is cheerleading a sport

Guest guest

One of the jobs of a coach at the high school level is to not only teach your team to compete, but to do so with class, respect, and dignity. When you get beat, congratulate the winner, and then work hard to beat them next time. It's the basic tenet of sportsmanship, and it will serve them well in all facets of their adult life. Judging by the responses here and on other sites by UE ceerleaders and their parents, it appears that not only did they fail to prepare the girls on the mat, but they failed at this responsibility as well. Doesn't speak well for the program at all.

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of the jobs of a coach at the high school level is to not only teach your team to compete, but to do so with class, respect, and dignity. When you get beat, congratulate the winner, and then work hard to beat them next time. It's the basic tenet of sportsmanship, and it will serve them well in all facets of their adult life. Judging by the responses here and on other sites by UE ceerleaders and their parents, it appears that not only did they fail to prepare the girls on the mat, but they failed at this responsibility as well. Doesn't speak well for the program at all.

I am a UE alumni and I absolutely agree with you...However, I think you are not considering a few things. First of all, speaking from experience, they are taught to have class and dignity, and throughout the season they do show this, even though for God knows whatever reason at competition many people think otherwise, but yet they still have never showed disrespect or act as though they are higher than anyone else...until now I suppose. In an ideal world, having good sportsmanship works out perfectly, however in this situation, these girls put so much heart, passion, dedication, and hard work into one competition day, and so to come up short, especially when you and many other people think that it is unjustified (whether you want to admit it or not UE was better), makes it hard to keep your composure. By the way I am NOT implying that other teams don't put in dedication and hard work. Also, these senior girls have won 15 out of the last 16 competitions (juniors have won 11 out out of 12). Before Sunday, they had NEVER lost. I repeat, NEVER lost. Coming in with a perfect record makes things a little harder to deal with. If you were put into that position, I am almost certain you would be a little spiteful as well. - That has nothing to do with respect for other teams. It has more to do with having high expectations and having those expectations undeservingly crushed.

Your post was well said until the end when you rudely stated that they were not prepared on the mat. That is absolutely absurd. Tell me one thing that they did wrong...You won't be able to because you won't find anything. They were flawless, unlike JC. If you want to criticize them for bad sportmanship, that's one thing. But to accuse them of having a bad performance is a whole different untrue story.

I am a UE alumni and I absolutely agree with you...However, I think you are not considering a few things. First of all, speaking from experience, they are taught to have class and dignity, and throughout the season they do show this, even though for God knows whatever reason at competition many people think otherwise, but yet they still have never showed disrespect or act as though they are higher than anyone else...until now I suppose. In an ideal world, having good sportsmanship works out perfectly, however in this situation, these girls put so much heart, passion, dedication, and hard work into one competition day, and so to come up short, especially when you and many other people think that it is unjustified (whether you want to admit it or not UE was better), makes it hard to keep your composure. By the way I am NOT implying that other teams don't put in dedication and hard work. Also, these senior girls have won 15 out of the last 16 competitions (juniors have won 11 out out of 12). Before Sunday, they had NEVER lost. I repeat, NEVER lost. Coming in with a perfect record makes things a little harder to deal with. If you were put into that position, I am almost certain you would be a little spiteful as well. - That has nothing to do with respect for other teams. It has more to do with having high expectations and having those expectations undeservingly crushed.

Your post was well said until the end when you rudely stated that they were not prepared on the mat. That is absolutely absurd. Tell me one thing that they did wrong...You won't be able to because you won't find anything. They were flawless, unlike JC. If you want to criticize them for bad sportmanship, that's one thing. But to accuse them of having a bad performance is a whole different untrue story.

And talk about bad sportsmanship? UE being the ones with bad sportsmanship? First off, in the past whenever UE has won, they NEVER began to celebrate until they were announced first. Not only did Johnson City burst into celecbration as the tigers were announced second, but every single team on the mat and everybody in the stands went into an uproar. How is that having sportsmanship? being totally biased, i think if any other team put themselves into the position that these girls were in, it would be difficult to act happy and act like nothing was wrong when THE WHOLE ARENA WAS LOUDER THAN EVER BEFORE AT YOU NOT GETTING FIRST THAN ANY OF THOSE OTHER 15 TIMES YOU DID GET FIRST. they weren't happy that the tigers got second, they were happy that they were beat. and it was absurd. I agree with the post that i am replying on, but you have to look at it from perspective and try to put yourselves in their shoes. it's even harder to accept defeat when there was no reason why they should have been defeated.

cheerleaders practice everyday,wear uniforms, have games, go to competitions, and is deff. considered a sport by new york state. how is that any diiferent then foootball or basketball or baseball etc...??

I think the three you mentioned as comparison all require defense. Any sport needs both offense and defense. Golf...Game, Bowling...game, Cheerleading... competition, Gymnastics...competition. You get it?

Talking about poor sportsmanship, the UE coach had her team wear "STAC Champions 2011" t-shirts at JC's gym last night. Beyond classless. What a horrible message to send to your own kids, that if you are disappointed with the results, simply refuse to recognize them. Don't work harder and get it back next time. Don't come up with a better routine that actually utilizes your talents instead of minimizing them, no instead you simply refuse to acknowledge that it even happened. To do so in JC's home gym is beyond poor sportsmanship. If UE's AD had any integrity at all, he'd insist the coach either send a written apology to every member of the JC squad, or fire her and bring in someone who understands the the first responsibility of any high school coach is to be a role model. Utterly disgraceful.

Oddly enough, I felt bad for UE. It was undeniably a close competition, they were a wonderfully talented group of kids. I can see how they would be disappointed. But that is life, and you don't always feel it may be fair. But you have to accept it and move on, or at the very least, show some respect to the sport, the competition, and to yourself by being gracious. UE has epically failed on all counts, I now couldn't be happier with the result.

Talking about poor sportsmanship, the UE coach had her team wear "STAC Champions 2011" t-shirts at JC's gym last night. Beyond classless. What a horrible message to send to your own kids, that if you are disappointed with the results, simply refuse to recognize them. Don't work harder and get it back next time. Don't come up with a better routine that actually utilizes your talents instead of minimizing them, no instead you simply refuse to acknowledge that it even happened. To do so in JC's home gym is beyond poor sportsmanship. If UE's AD had any integrity at all, he'd insist the coach either send a written apology to every member of the JC squad, or fire her and bring in someone who understands the the first responsibility of any high school coach is to be a role model. Utterly disgraceful.

Oddly enough, I felt bad for UE. It was undeniably a close competition, they were a wonderfully talented group of kids. I can see how they would be disappointed. But that is life, and you don't always feel it may be fair. But you have to accept it and move on, or at the very least, show some respect to the sport, the competition, and to yourself by being gracious. UE has epically failed on all counts, I now couldn't be happier with the result.

The UE JV Squad did win, so who was it that you saw? One varsity cheerleader had it on in support of their JV Squad. Talk about classless coaches ... the JC coach fell out of her chair and made a huge production at STAC. She probably was as shocked as the rest of the crowd that they were handed a win. Talk about classless cheerleaders - when two of the JC Cheerleaders walked in front of the UE fans at last night's game chanting their scores from STAC and pointing to their jackets while raising a number one finger. Everyone acknowledges that it happened, sadly one JC Parent turned to a UE parent at the competition and said that 'It isn't fair, UE was far better. I am happy our squad won, but their routine wasn't better than UE's.' The UE coach does require UE cheerleaders to act with sportsmanship ... why should she be held to a different standard than the JC Coach ... look within your own house before pointing a finger at UE's. It seems you are uninformed and only view one side. As I recall, UE stood up and congratulated JC on their win. UE can't, nor do they expect to win every competition every time. I measure UE cheerleading not on a single competition, but on the DYNASTY that they have built over the last several years. Sitting in the JC Gym last night I realized that over the last 13 years this is JC's second or third STAC championsship in cheerleading ... I also realized I don't have enough fingers and toes to count UE's STAC and State accomplishments over that same period. When I think of the greatest sports teams in modern history I think of the NY Yankees ... when I think of STAC Cheerleading I recognize all of the teams and young ladies that put so much time and effort into it, but I also recognize the UE Cheerleaders as the modern day Dynasty of STAC Cheerleading.

Oh ... and by the way ... I am from Vestal.

Considering you are from "Vestal" and therefore not in the know, ask yourself the following questions: Who was it who distrubuted the t-shirts to the cheerleaders? Who was it who were sitting in the front row at the game in those shirts? Was it the JV coach, the JV team? Or was it the varsity team, to the complete amazement of everyone? As a Vestal fan, you can be forgiven for not knowing.

As to the JC parent saying that to the UE parent? That's called graciousness and sportsmanship. From the youtube and facebook quotes, it can be forgiven if a UE, I mean Vestal parent wouldn't recognize it.

As I recall, "Vestal" fan, Vestal edged out JC last fall in a super close finish. Many, including understandably JC fans, felt otherwise. Did they refuse to even acknowledge it? Did they put up insulting you tube clips and then relentlessly bash Vestal on a personal level? Did the coaches go out of their way to publicly insult not just Vestal, but the officials and judges of the entire sport? No, they gritted their teeth, congratulated them, and then spent the next three months working their tails off to get better. That's what sports is all about. That's what high school coaches are supposed to be about. Striving for success, dealing with failure and disappointment with grace.

Read the pressconnects article, even before praising her own team, the JC coach repeatedly went out of her way to praise UE. How does UE respond? By going to JC's gym and insulting them. Must be a great world they live in, either they win, or the official results don't matter. Those are lessons taught that should serve the kids well later in life.

The UE JV Squad did win, so who was it that you saw? One varsity cheerleader had it on in support of their JV Squad. Talk about classless coaches ... the JC coach fell out of her chair and made a huge production at STAC. She probably was as shocked as the rest of the crowd that they were handed a win. Talk about classless cheerleaders - when two of the JC Cheerleaders walked in front of the UE fans at last night's game chanting their scores from STAC and pointing to their jackets while raising a number one finger. Everyone acknowledges that it happened, sadly one JC Parent turned to a UE parent at the competition and said that 'It isn't fair, UE was far better. I am happy our squad won, but their routine wasn't better than UE's.' The UE coach does require UE cheerleaders to act with sportsmanship ... why should she be held to a different standard than the JC Coach ... look within your own house before pointing a finger at UE's. It seems you are uninformed and only view one side. As I recall, UE stood up and congratulated JC on their win. UE can't, nor do they expect to win every competition every time. I measure UE cheerleading not on a single competition, but on the DYNASTY that they have built over the last several years. Sitting in the JC Gym last night I realized that over the last 13 years this is JC's second or third STAC championsship in cheerleading ... I also realized I don't have enough fingers and toes to count UE's STAC and State accomplishments over that same period. When I think of the greatest sports teams in modern history I think of the NY Yankees ... when I think of STAC Cheerleading I recognize all of the teams and young ladies that put so much time and effort into it, but I also recognize the UE Cheerleaders as the modern day Dynasty of STAC Cheerleading.

Oh ... and by the way ... I am from Vestal.

Well my fellow Vestal friend, i would like to say THANK YOU. the comment above yours was sickening. how dare you sit there and talk about the UE coach in the way that you did? GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. As mentioned, UE JV did earn STAC champions! so why are they not allowed to wear champion shirts? in my opinion, it is FAR more acceptable than following UE to a competition the week before STAC when you and your girls were suddenly and last minutely pulled out of that same competition! and THEN going on and producing a routine that was not identical to UE's, heavily imitated. and poorly at that! they just knew that they wouldn't be able to do it on their own, so they insisted on spying and cheating. and being a vestal parent who also went to the CNY competition, I have Johnson City's CNY routine on tape, and LET ME PROMISE YOU IT WAS NOT ANYTHING LIKE WHAT YOU HAD SEEN AT STAC LAST SUNDAY. Johnson City realized that they could not go to the state competition and compete with UE because they needed to see what UE was bringing to the mat before the stac competition. they were too afraid that they would lose to UE there and things would start looking suspicious at STAC. SO, the JC coach along with 4 of her cheerleaders attended the State competition as spectators. The drive was over 2 hours long, and the wildcats were supposed to be competing in this competition originally, but then at the very last minute withdrew from the competition. Their names were on the rosters but crossed off in black sharpie for anyone who wants to argue that. the main point of this is: johnson city's CNY winning routine was not the same as their STAC "winning" routine. and i, as well as many others, have the tapes to prove it. In my opinion, if you went to a competition and succeeded in it, why would you want to change your routine? why would you need to? the videos don't lie. And that's only one aspect of this whole thing. Something was up at STAC this season and everyone knows it. Whether it was Connely and the judges, or the judges just simply wanting there to be a new winner for the sake of the streak being broken, we may never know.

So let me understand, do you know that the coach distributed the shirts or you are just throwing that out there. You bash Vestal as well, and you want all of us to believe you are the role model for class and sportsmanship. If you arent a high school student you are certainly acting like it and furthering the general concensus of the JC sports programs and their participants I know the coach, she did not distribute any such material. All I see is you throwing out your opinion yet failing to see the facts. I only saw one

of the four varsity cheerleaders at last nights game with a shirt on. I did see, however, the coach for jc and two of

their cheerleaders doing exactly what was mentioned last night and at STAC. Since I have the video from STAC and I probably can get the video of the game last night j would be careful if I were you on what accusations you throw around.

It seems to me that the UE girls are acting like true spirtsmans. An even if a single person wore something you shouldn't stereotype (you may not have covered this word yet in your limited education, but I am sure you know how to use google - so look it up) a whole group for that.

For years I have seen other squads and students go after the UE cheerleaders. One cheerleader even stated that the only reason they are hated so much is that they are so good and everyone strives to be like them. One championship does not put you in the same category, and by the way, last I checked they also have a STAC and CNY championship this year. JC failed to show up to that same event, which they committed to, there is an example of an ethical group o follow.

So let me understand, do you know that the coach distributed the shirts or you are just throwing that out there. You bash Vestal as well, and you want all of us to believe you are the role model for class and sportsmanship. If you arent a high school student you are certainly acting like it and furthering the general concensus of the JC sports programs and their participants I know the coach, she did not distribute any such material. All I see is you throwing out your opinion yet failing to see the facts. I only saw one

of the four varsity cheerleaders at last nights game with a shirt on. I did see, however, the coach for jc and two of

their cheerleaders doing exactly what was mentioned last night and at STAC. Since I have the video from STAC and I probably can get the video of the game last night j would be careful if I were you on what accusations you throw around.

It seems to me that the UE girls are acting like true spirtsmans. An even if a single person wore something you shouldn't stereotype (you may not have covered this word yet in your limited education, but I am sure you know how to use google - so look it up) a whole group for that.

For years I have seen other squads and students go after the UE cheerleaders. One cheerleader even stated that the only reason they are hated so much is that they are so good and everyone strives to be like them. One championship does not put you in the same category, and by the way, last I checked they also have a STAC and CNY championship this year. JC failed to show up to that same event, which they committed to, there is an example of an ethical group o follow.

with the t shirts, the girls get together at a house if they win STAC and make STAC champs t-shirts from store bought a c moore t shirts and fabric paint or whatever. they are harmless, and are just a way the team spends more time together and bonds as a team.

whoever you are, very well said! :)

I agree

Congratulations to JC, but no one school , at this point in time, can compare themselves to UE. They have three wins this school year. Not taking away anything from other schools, but I am in awe of their talent and achievements. (plural - for many many years)

JC won because the Judges decided they did. So if you don't like go after the judges, not them.

You people are terrible, these post are a standard every time there is a cheer competition. Last time it was ue attacked. before that cv.

STAC, CYO, CNY it doesn’t matter every time there is a competition it’s a bitch fest about the winning team

There negative post on BC voice, Face book. Youtube, the Binghamton Press, you name it. All over a simple

high school cheer competition......Shame on you all

JC won because the Judges decided they did. So if you don't like go after the judges, not them.

You people are terrible, these post are a standard every time there is a cheer competition. Last time it was ue attacked. before that cv.

STAC, CYO, CNY it doesn’t matter every time there is a competition it’s a bitch fest about the winning team

There negative post on BC voice, Face book. Youtube, the Binghamton Press, you name it. All over a simple

high school cheer competition......Shame on you all

yeah, this could be true if there was a valid reason why UE didn't get first. they were flawless, and they executed their routine perfectly. JC was sloppy, not together, and dropped a simple mount.

Well my fellow Vestal friend, i would like to say THANK YOU. the comment above yours was sickening. how dare you sit there and talk about the UE coach in the way that you did? GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT. As mentioned, UE JV did earn STAC champions! so why are they not allowed to wear champion shirts? in my opinion, it is FAR more acceptable than following UE to a competition the week before STAC when you and your girls were suddenly and last minutely pulled out of that same competition! and THEN going on and producing a routine that was not identical to UE's, heavily imitated. and poorly at that! they just knew that they wouldn't be able to do it on their own, so they insisted on spying and cheating. and being a vestal parent who also went to the CNY competition, I have Johnson City's CNY routine on tape, and LET ME PROMISE YOU IT WAS NOT ANYTHING LIKE WHAT YOU HAD SEEN AT STAC LAST SUNDAY. Johnson City realized that they could not go to the state competition and compete with UE because they needed to see what UE was bringing to the mat before the stac competition. they were too afraid that they would lose to UE there and things would start looking suspicious at STAC. SO, the JC coach along with 4 of her cheerleaders attended the State competition as spectators. The drive was over 2 hours long, and the wildcats were supposed to be competing in this competition originally, but then at the very last minute withdrew from the competition. Their names were on the rosters but crossed off in black sharpie for anyone who wants to argue that. the main point of this is: johnson city's CNY winning routine was not the same as their STAC "winning" routine. and i, as well as many others, have the tapes to prove it. In my opinion, if you went to a competition and succeeded in it, why would you want to change your routine? why would you need to? the videos don't lie. And that's only one aspect of this whole thing. Something was up at STAC this season and everyone knows it. Whether it was Connely and the judges, or the judges just simply wanting there to be a new winner for the sake of the streak being broken, we may never know.

You should put the video you have of JC at CNY Winter Classic up on youtube so everyone can see what we all already know, the fact that JC cheated.

JC did not enter that week's CNY competition, you know the one where UE failed to win the overall comp. They were entered automatically because they did in fact win the overall comp at the previous week's CNY state competition. They were unaware of this until the friday before the second competition, and they quite literally could neither afford nor schedule an appearance on such short notice.

"An even if a single person wore something you shouldn't stereotype (you may not have covered this word yet in your limited education, but I am sure you know how to use google - so look it up) a whole group for that"

One other bit of advice, it would serve you well not to highlight another's supposed lack of an education within the context of such a grammatical nightmare of a sentence you composed. Let's just say you suffer in comparison.

I think that UE has every right to be upset. Watch both routines, I mean really watch them. You will see who the better team is, and I will tell you with 100% certainty that the better team did not win STAC this past Sunday. Go back and watch the video without sound. That forces you to look at just the routine. UE's moves and stunts are perfectly in sync and they never once miss a beat - not once. Then keep watching JC's routine and it's heinous in comparison. They are incredibly sloppy and their tumbling is dreadful. Now of course someone will say you can't watch it without sound because vocalization counts as well. Okay, then go back and watch it with sound and JC's SINGING voices will make you want to turn the sound back OFF! I'm truly not trying to criticize them, although it may seem like I am. I actually commend them greatly on all they have achieved in the past few years. Cara has done wonders with their team and they should be proud. But that doesn't mean they should have won. I have no connection to either team, so I don't have any biases. I just know cheerleading. And while JC did well, they were not top caliber compared to UE. I think these girls (and guy) are outraged so much mainly because they see the performances right there in front of them and it's obvious they should not have lost. Say what you will, and all the JC parents, cheerleaders, and fans will tell me I'm wrong and they deserved to win. But you're saying that because you are FROM JC and you're judgment is clouded. I urge you to take off the rose colored glasses and stop ATTACKING a team simply because of their winning tradition. - That's really the whole entire reason why people don't like UE. Because they are good. Like other comments have said, people continuously say things like "someone else needs to win" or "I don't care who wins as long as it's not UE." Those repeated comments show who the ones with poor sportsmanship really are. Don't discredit a team and try and take away all of their hard work and effort simply because you are the TRUE sore losers.

JC did not enter that week's CNY competition, you know the one where UE failed to win the overall comp. They were entered automatically because they did in fact win the overall comp at the previous week's CNY state competition. They were unaware of this until the friday before the second competition, and they quite literally could neither afford nor schedule an appearance on such short notice.

"An even if a single person wore something you shouldn't stereotype (you may not have covered this word yet in your limited education, but I am sure you know how to use google - so look it up) a whole group for that"

One other bit of advice, it would serve you well not to highlight another's supposed lack of an education within the context of such a grammatical nightmare of a sentence you composed. Let's just say you suffer in comparison.

Are you completely delusional or just stupid? You have it backwards.

JC won the CNY Winter Classic. UE was the one who won the State Championship. UE didn't even go to the Winter Classic....And BY THE WAY, UE did win states...ya know, the "overall comp" as you say..that means they are State Champions in case you didn't get that.

CNY is a privately run organization, for profit, that holds competitions for whomever signs up and pays. Not that this is a bad thing at all. But it is not, nor does anyone recognize it as being the state championship, despite the name they choose to give to it. None of the downstate teams even consider going, nor do the western teams for the most part either. They attend their own privately run competitions closer to home, maybe they too choose to call it a state championship, I don't know. So let's drop the silly self-proclaimed state champion title shall we? It's a nice title to win of course, but let's not get carried away.

By the way, check the site, cnycheer.com under results and you'll see that no, UE did not in fact win overall this year, they won their division. I guess those judges are crooked, the other team cheated, they actually are the winners because they say so.

Both people before me just to clarify I believe what they meant by UE did not win the overall competition was the fact that they did not have the highest score in the whole competition which would give them the "grand champs" title at the other two CNY competitions but to the next person what the person before you meant was that there is no grand champs for this competition so UE did win the overall competition because they got the only trophy the were competing for, first place in their division.

So to clarify, what you're saying is, is that while JC was indeed declared "grand champs" at their CNY competition (using a routine they stole from UE no doubt, even though they hadn't seen it yet), while UE was first in their division, but weren't the highest scoring team at the state championships that aren't even in fact the state championships? Is that factualy correct then? So why then is UE going around calling themselves state champs then, when they weren't even the highest scoring team in at the comp? Now I see why they are calling themselves STAC Champs as well, as if merely by saying it over and over again, it must be true.

I see CV won their division. Are they state champs as well? Ten other teams won their division. They're state champs as well? Gosh, this is all so confusing. For now on, let's all agree to simply let the UE parents declare who is what, since obviously, the results of actual competitions, and the decisions of the judges of not one, but two competitions don't count.

Congratulations UE, State Champs* (*of the five teams in their division at a regional private competition featuring a tiny fraction of the state's schools in a division that wasn't even the highest scoring)

Archived