Corned Beef and Cabbage

Kermit

K, I usually do mine in a big crockpot.

Put the corned beef in, along w/ 1/4'd potatoes, an onion or two, and carrots, then cover w/ vegetable stock.

(Edit - think I usually smack a few garlic cloves and add them as well.)

Cook on low heat, and I've started it before work, then when I came home from work, turned up to high, added cabbage wedges (I like Savoy), and cook another hour.

I like to remove the Corned Beef, and slather w/ a paste made out of spicy mustard, brown sugar, and cider vinegar, then put it in the oven on low heat for about 20 min.

Serve w/ butter, malt vinegar, and horseradish for condiments.

K, I usually do mine in a big crockpot.

Put the corned beef in, along w/ 1/4'd potatoes, an onion or two, and carrots, then cover w/ vegetable stock.

Cook on low heat, and I've started it before work, then when I came home from work, turned up to high, added cabbage wedges (I like Savoy), and cook another hour.

I like to remove the Corned Beef, and slather w/ a paste made out of spicy mustard, brown sugar, and cider vinegar, then put it in the oven on low heat for about 20 min.

Serve w/ butter, malt vinegar, and horseradish for condiments.

That sounds good all except for the horseradish.

Guest Guest

Buy the briscuit, throw it in a crock-pot with water just covering the top of the briscuit, add the seasoning packet, along with fresh chopped garlic, 2 tbs. of BROWN sugar, 1 tbs. of mustard. Cook on high for 5 hours. Add cabbage 1/2 an hour before eating. Dont cook cabbage too long because it will come out mushy. Remove the cabbage before the beef so it can set and firm up a bit but still have a good taste. The beef will come out nice and tender, let it soak in the crock pot with the heat off for an extra hour. It will be nice nice and tender and stringy.

Guest Guest

Quarter 3 onions and put in the bottom of a crock pot with 2 cloves of garlic (halved). Place a 2 1/2 to 3 pound corned beef w/spices on top. Add 4 or 5 carrots cut into large chunks.. Throw in 4 small taters, cover with a small head of cabbage quartered... and then cook on LOW for 8 hours. Got one set up on the timer for early morning. mmmmmmmmmm I like to just use the beef for reubens...

Guest Guest

Have you tried the Irish egg rolls at Tullys? They are really good, at least I think they are. The corned beef sandwich is pretty good too.

Guest guest-italian

5 onions, 5 poounds potatoes, 1 head cabbage, pepper, 3 cups chicken stock, 1 pound butter. 4 pound corned beef, 1/2 cup mustard, 1/2 cup honey, seasoning packet from gorned beef.

boil corned beef for 25 minutes.

slice onions thin. sautee in 1/2 pound butter. slice potatoes thin. rub 1/2 stick butter in large cassarole. layer potatoes. add 1/2 head cabbage, sliced thin. add 1/2 onions/butter. pepper liberally (sorry galvatron). layer potatoes. layer cabbage. layer other half onions/butter. pepper liberally (sorry bds guy). add final layer of potatoes. add chicken stock, pepper liberally, dice on stick butter, place on top. cover with aluminum foil, bake at 350 for 1 hour. remove foil, bake for 25 minutes.

meanwhile, place corned beef in oven with potato cassarole for 1 hour. for last 25 minutes, mix mustard, honey, and seasonings together (microwave for 25-40 seconds to make it easeir to work with), cover corned beef, bake. let sit for 10 minutes before slicing.

good eats.

Did the boiled dinner yesterday. (need time to recuperate....if you know what I mean)

Homemade soda bread too.

Finished it all off with an Irish Coffee.

Well stuffed.... YUM!!

Stayed up well past midnight watching racing and don't think I'll make it through the rest of the day for NASCAR.

We picked our corned beef up from the Endicott Price Chopper. Normally we'd get a Nathans but they had this incredible mountain of succulent corned beef.

Yep, they had this mountain, about 3 to 4 high and about 6 wide of corned beefs. (is that correct? what is the plural for beef? beefs or beef? whatever) We originally went for steaks but as I was looking at the steaks this beautiful, lean mass of corned beef called out, "Eat Me!" So we purchased it and the rest is history. Fork tender, melt in your mouth good !!!

Made a little horseradish creme sauce to slather on it. Good lord I'm making myself hungry as I type this.....

Gotta go......

Checking for leftovers........

I got a new electric pressure cooker for Christmas and cooked the corned beef in there. Just put it in with 2 cups of beef stock, a can of beer, 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves, and the seasoning packet and set the timer for 90 minutes. Once that was done, take out the corned beef and let it rest and put in the cabbage (yuck) and cook it for 10 minutes. Came out great!!!

I got a new electric pressure cooker for Christmas and cooked the corned beef in there. Just put it in with 2 cups of beef stock, a can of beer, 2 onions, 2 garlic cloves, and the seasoning packet and set the timer for 90 minutes. Once that was done, take out the corned beef and let it rest and put in the cabbage (yuck) and cook it for 10 minutes. Came out great!!!
You dont like cabbage eather huh?

Guest OSCEOLA

CORNED BEEF AND CABBAGE

1 corned beef brisket

1 large head cabbage (preferably savoy)

8 peppercorns

6 cloves garlic, whole peeled

4-5 parsnips

1-2 turnips

2 bay leaves

1 pound carrots, peeled

6 large potatoes

1 stalk celery, thinly sliced

3 whole cloves

1/2 tsp Old Bay seasoning

1/4 tsp black pepper, ground

Wash brisket. Make small X slits in the meat and insert garlic and cloves pieces.

Place the meat into a stockpot (at least 8 quarts). Cover the meat with water. Add bay leaves, peppercorns, Old Bay, 2 carrots and sliced celery. Bring to a boil, skim off foam and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer 2-3 hours, or until meat is nearly tender.

Meanwhile, prepare vegetables. Quarter the cabbage, peel potatoes, carrots, turnips and parsnips. Slice vegetables into 2 inch chunks.

During last half hour, add remaining vegetables and cook until tender.

Drain and serve with yellow mustard.

I'm not Irish, but I like the day's feast.

Personally don't have time to or desire to make it myself, but I will say that Kelly's on Page st in Endicott does a nice job with it, and has it avail at the bar or for take out.

Archived