SV Parent petition against Ray Haskell.

Guest SV parent.

Guest Guest
Whoever is saying SV football has “loads of talent” by using the track team for an example is an idiot. There are slightly different physical attributes associated with a successful football athlete and a successful track athlete. If that were the case, then Ithaca football should be dominant because their track team is dominant.

Football is a game where size DOES matter. SV simply does not have the size and speed to compete with some of their opponents, that is just a fact. True, the program has not been successful, but let's be realistic, there are many contributing factors; you cannot put all of the blame on a coach.

To be successful a coach must have:

1. A significant core group of dedicated athletes (look at the numbers showing up regularly to off-season workouts).

2. Athletes with the physical size and strength to compete (look at the size of SV linemen, etc. compared to dominant schools).

3. He must have unconditional commitment and support to get the athletes to believe in the program and the coach (back up and support from parents whether they agree with play calling or not, support from an athletic director and from support staff as well). The parents at SV continue to undermine the coaching staff by constantly second guessing every call made on the field. Then they continue the process by carrying their expert opinions home to their sons. How do you expect a high school boy to listen to and respect his coach when the boy’s parent is constantly telling the boy that the "coach is an idiot." Parents in my day taught us to listen to, and respect our elders. If they did not agree or had an issue with a coach or any adult for that matter, they would discuss it face to face out of the sight and hearing of the child. Nowadays, parents not only criticize and ridicule in front of their child, but they also post their venom anonymously on-line and through petitions!

One more thing you need to think about… when you are in the stands hooting and hollering and carrying on like a lunatic about a play that did not work, do you know for a FACT that it was executed the way it was designed and sent in? Or, is it possible that your son or mine ran the wrong route…didn’t carry out their blocking assignment… went left instead of right… fumbled the handoff…ran with the ball when they were supposed to pass… or any number of other mistakes the young athletes of SV football made this past season because after all, they are in HIGH SCHOOL and not in the pros (not yet at least!)

Think and say what you want, but this is my opinion and I do not believe I am alone in it. I am a supportive parent, and I sit in the stands every week beside you. But unlike many of my peers, I keep my mouth shut in public unless I have something positive and encouraging to say!

Well I am the person who made the comment on the talent of SV's track team and I don't consider myself an idiot by doing so. I wasn't saying that just because of the track team the football team has amazing talent. I am just proving you that their are athletes in this school district when many think its just the softball program that succeeds. Let me ask you this, isn't it a part of the coaches job to encourage his players to work hard and get in the weight room? Or is it part of their job to get the best of what he has? Isn't it part of the coaches job to make sure his players know the plays and assignments? Does player performance somewhat revolve around a coach? Lets face it, Haskell has failed to do his job as a coach. Lets say I sell cars, now if i don't sell the amount cars that I am capable of and fail to do my job when there are other car salesmen out there who sell twice as many cars that i do, does that mean i should keep my job even though i continue to fail to do my job? I don't think so. He hasn't been able to build unity or get everyone to learn the plays. All aspects of his job he has failed at. Now im sure you sit there in the stands and remain silent. If you were a player and listened to him actually talk its almost impossible to understand him and respect him. It almost seems like he has no clue in what hes trying to teach us and no one s picking up on it. Now i respect everyones opinion on this site, but are you telling me players such as Nick Papas were undersized? There were teams on JV that were extremely successful that went on to play for Ray Haskell and failed to produce any kind of success. I'm sure what your saying is true though, two 18-0 JV teams had no talent at all. This isen't a team that has no talent. I'm not saying that they are amazing but they can definitely be better then they have shown in the past few years. How can you take a 19-0 JV team and then go 5-14 with them? Thats just unacceptable I'm sorry. Don't say that the players didn't work hard in between because that is entirely untrue. It's simple, Ray Haskell has not done his job, therefore he should step down.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Sergeant Slaughter

The coaches should drive to the players' houses, pound on their doors, and drag them out of bed to personally drive them to offseason workouts right?... or maybe that's what the parents should be doing. Not sure how you get high school kids to commit to a sport and have some accountability. Suggestions Ace?

Guest Guest
The coaches should drive to the players' houses, pound on their doors, and drag them out of bed to personally drive them to offseason workouts right?... or maybe that's what the parents should be doing. Not sure how you get high school kids to commit to a sport and have some accountability. Suggestions Ace?

Maybe they should go and knock on their doors. Honestly doesn't sound like a bad idea to me. Ill help them.

Guest Guest

Look it! There is no mystery to this. We are talking about building a program here. Its very tough to start this moving in the right direction. Once you have some sucess its contagious. The young kids look up to the winning football players and start to aspire to be like them. The community recognizes the team players . They become celebities in the community. Talk to folks at forks. Huge crowds at games, excitment this helps feed the program and then what happens you get more kids to play it gets more competitive. The 6'4" kids who play basketball suddenly are interested in being the tight end or defensive end. The big fat kid in the band is suddenly a offensive lineman contributing to the team. some soccor players make the jump to football. At least a kicker for god sake.

You got to know what winning looks like and its not what we are seeing right now. The AD and the coach and his entire staff have to be aligned and committed to the entire program. Youth programs are just now getting to where CF was 10 years ago .. It wont happen overnight.

I like Ray but all coaches have to be graded on some of the things I talk about above and that is managing his staff, players , parents booster club and his relationship with the AD. Those are what we should be looking for in a coach. How is Ray doing in managing those areas. At this level the X's and O's are not as complicated as most of us think. There have been many documented cases of state championship teams with the simpelest game plan imaginable.

There are plenty of models of winning programs out there so please learn from them. I am sure not many started with the parents thinking they know it all. Please shut up and stay in the stands, give your kids rides to practice and support.

Your probably the same folks who wanted to fire Tom Coughlin.

Guest guest

Well maybe you should consider a few facts about the "Team" off season workouts....

1. Most kids parents work full time jobs. Therefore it sometimes is difficult to go to work and get the kids to and from school for workouts during the summer or even at other times throughout the day. Especially when you have more than one child

2. Not all football players play "football only". Therefore after going to school, going to practice for the sport they are currently involved in and then games, then try to fit supper in there somewhere and several hours of homework, as some of them are dedicated students as well, trying to stay on the honor roll and make something of themselves beyond high school, it's a little tough to get them to school and fit in another 2 to 2 1/2 hours of weight lifting.

I'm sick of hearing of how the kids don't work out as a team. A lot of kids have equipment at home or go elsewhere. Give them the basics that you want them to follow and trust that they are doing this independently. If not, it will show and you can then go from there. Don't assume because kids aren't there in the weight room, that they are being lazy. Many kids also have jobs that they are committed to.

If you want your players to be a TEAM, get them together and find out what else they are involved in. And let them know what you expect from them. Don't stand around criticizing them with other coaches and parents.

Guest Guest
Well maybe you should consider a few facts about the "Team" off season workouts....

1. Most kids parents work full time jobs. Therefore it sometimes is difficult to go to work and get the kids to and from school for workouts during the summer or even at other times throughout the day. Especially when you have more than one child

2. Not all football players play "football only". Therefore after going to school, going to practice for the sport they are currently involved in and then games, then try to fit supper in there somewhere and several hours of homework, as some of them are dedicated students as well, trying to stay on the honor roll and make something of themselves beyond high school, it's a little tough to get them to school and fit in another 2 to 2 1/2 hours of weight lifting.

I'm sick of hearing of how the kids don't work out as a team. A lot of kids have equipment at home or go elsewhere. Give them the basics that you want them to follow and trust that they are doing this independently. If not, it will show and you can then go from there. Don't assume because kids aren't there in the weight room, that they are being lazy. Many kids also have jobs that they are committed to.

If you want your players to be a TEAM, get them together and find out what else they are involved in. And let them know what you expect from them. Don't stand around criticizing them with other coaches and parents.

Bet your kid is 320 pounds of muscle right? Nice attitude!

Guest Guest

I play on the team, weight lifting is from 8 am to 10 pm. Which no one shows up to. Double sessions starts probably around 7 am. Which everyone attends the double sessions fine but dont show up to the summer work sessions when they are at identical times. Nice try to make an excuse.

@

Guest Guest

I have heard explayers speak about this a million times . Football builds character. This is a life lesson. Hard work = sucess. Teamwork on the football field often translates to teamwork in the work place later in life. Playing through pain = perserverance. Leadership qualities.

Parents medling = "not so much"

the they dont have a ride thing is bogus. Ride a bike car pool, I am sure these young boys are finding creative ways to get to there girlfriends houses. Schools that have success have gym rats kids who are lifting, play basketball, wrestling , swimming, hanging out at the school . Look at Forks in the summer you would think that school is in session all kinds of activity.

Lots of kids like staying at home sleeping in and playing video games.

Guest Guest

Lets be clear about this. Winning JV teams dont always convert to good varsity teams. All those 160 lb JV lineman stay at that weight and become very poor Varsity lineman. they also win cause otherschools best 10th graders are on varsity

Also at the JV level coaching can overcome or hide lack of talen at the varsity level its harder to overcome bigger and faster teams.

Guest Guest
Lets be clear about this. Winning JV teams dont always convert to good varsity teams. All those 160 lb JV lineman stay at that weight and become very poor Varsity lineman. they also win cause otherschools best 10th graders are on varsity

Also at the JV level coaching can overcome or hide lack of talen at the varsity level its harder to overcome bigger and faster teams.

I don't remember Nick Papas being 160lb'or any other linemen on that team on JV or Varsity. <_<

@

Guest Guest

Then why does the varsity always suck!! Its not the coachs. Think about some of the great players when they played jvs but never became good varsity players. come on use your head . The talent pool is too small. And if they are so good why arent they already playing in the varsity? 8th and 9th graders should be on jv'sand shitty 10th graders. 10th, 11th and 12th graders should be on varsity.

Guest Guest
Then why does the varsity always suck!! Its not the coachs. Think about some of the great players when they played jvs but never became good varsity players. come on use your head . The talent pool is too small. And if they are so good why arent they already playing in the varsity? 8th and 9th graders should be on jv'sand shitty 10th graders. 10th, 11th and 12th graders should be on varsity.

Well they brought up 8 10th graders last year to play varsity and they did very well surprisingly. The sophomores did, not the team as a whole. Lets see what will happen this year with them being in an easier division. How do you know for a fact that there isn't some what of a coaching problem? Every player and parent will tell you that the coaches aren't the brightest of the bunch and me as a spectator have noticed coaching errors. He hasn't built any kind of program there and something needs to change. People are making it sound like the soccer program is stealing all the talent. I know who the soccer players are and i wouldn't want anyone of them on the team but 1 because most of them are small to begin with. Theres a reason they want to kick a ball around all day and not play a contact sport. Stop putting down the players because when you do that your no better then the players blaming it on the coaches. This team just needs to shut up and play football already.

Guest Guest
Well they brought up 8 10th graders last year to play varsity and they did very well surprisingly. The sophomores did, not the team as a whole. Lets see what will happen this year with them being in an easier division. How do you know for a fact that there isn't some what of a coaching problem? Every player and parent will tell you that the coaches aren't the brightest of the bunch and me as a spectator have noticed coaching errors. He hasn't built any kind of program there and something needs to change. People are making it sound like the soccer program is stealing all the talent. I know who the soccer players are and i wouldn't want anyone of them on the team but 1 because most of them are small to begin with. Theres a reason they want to kick a ball around all day and not play a contact sport. Stop putting down the players because when you do that your no better then the players blaming it on the coaches. This team just needs to shut up and play football already.

What? "small"/"non-contact" style SV soccer players are you nuts? SV still has kids on the soccer teams that are as strong, as big and as tough as many of the football players. Garret Morabito was the toughest and strongest kid at SV with no doubt, and what was his fall sport? Jared Cole, Nick Taro, Matt Schell, Dave Hessell and Caleb Smith were bigger than 3/4 of the football players and they play soccer. As for hard nosed Devin Lash fits the bill, if he was so afraid of contact how'd he rupture his spleen (no pads to protect him)? You think that adding some of those guys wouldn't have helped the team?

Guest END THIS

And on that note - Let's kill this Topic once and for all. My money says that SV will be much improved next year and finish in the top two in their new division. Still not going to beat FORKS or WINDSOR, but with a conservative game plan on offense and an aggressive defense - The Sabers will do well.

You heard it here first.

Now get back to the weight room boys and next year you can make some of the SV bashers on here eat their words.

Maybe Haskell will work to improve as a coach as well.

Stranger things have happened.

Guest Guest
What? "small"/"non-contact" style SV soccer players are you nuts? SV still has kids on the soccer teams that are as strong, as big and as tough as many of the football players. Garret Morabito was the toughest and strongest kid at SV with no doubt, and what was his fall sport? Jared Cole, Nick Taro, Matt Schell, Dave Hessell and Caleb Smith were bigger than 3/4 of the football players and they play soccer. As for hard nosed Devin Lash fits the bill, if he was so afraid of contact how'd he rupture his spleen (no pads to protect him)? You think that adding some of those guys wouldn't have helped the team?

Garret Morabito, Matt Schell, and David Hessell could become good players. As for the rest you just listed i couldn't ever picture them playing a sport such as football. I don't see how your saying that the soccer team is much bigger then the football team in terms of physical size but i guess thats your own opinion. Soccer team does better then the football team usually, but if you put 90% of them on a football field I guarantee they would get lit up.

Guest Guest

Don't make it a Soccer vs Football thing. The teams support each other and are friends off the field. SV has proven in the past that they can win consistently at both.

Evidence : 2000 - Section 4 champs in both Football and Soccer

Soccer STAC Division champs & Football division champs / runnerup for years leading up to 2000.

Soccer has maintained that level of performance while Football has fallen odd over the past 7 years.

It will always be difficult to sustain championship teams in both sports at the Class B level based on the sheer number of athletes to select from and the higher # of schools in Class B - Section IV . In Class AA - with many more athletes to choose from (and many less teams to compete with in Section IV) - it is much easier to consistently field 2 strong teams in the fall.

Agree though - that Hessell & Morabito would have helped this year's Football team - for sure.

Guest Guest
Don't make it a Soccer vs Football thing. The teams support each other and are friends off the field. SV has proven in the past that they can win consistently at both.

Evidence : 2000 - Section 4 champs in both Football and Soccer

Soccer STAC Division champs & Football division champs / runnerup for years leading up to 2000.

Soccer has maintained that level of performance while Football has fallen odd over the past 7 years.

It will always be difficult to sustain championship teams in both sports at the Class B level based on the sheer number of athletes to select from and the higher # of schools in Class B - Section IV . In Class AA - with many more athletes to choose from (and many less teams to compete with in Section IV) - it is much easier to consistently field 2 strong teams in the fall.

Agree though - that Hessell & Morabito would have helped this year's Football team - for sure.

Yeah 2000 was the year right before Haskell took over, and look whats happened since then. Coincidence?

Guest Guest

NOT TRUE - Jud coached at least 2 more years, maybe 3 ...

Lay off Ray people. He will do well with this Sophmore group coming through .

Have faith.

If you want to coach - go to college , work your way up, pay your dues, and get a coaching job - then you can run things the way you want.

Until then ... just shut up and let the man coach.

Guest College What?
NOT TRUE - If you want to coach - go to college , work your way up, pay your dues, and get a coaching job - then you can run things the way you want.

Until then ... just shut up and let the man coach.

Do you really have to go to college to coach? I didn't go to SV, but at the school I went to the best coach I had received a GED and never attended college. You can be an educated coach without going to college!

Guest Guest

I agree with you about the college thing - but to be a teacher, you need a college degree.

Most HS coaches (if not all) come from the teaching ranks. Not saying that teachers make the best coaches - that's just how it works.

Guest Guest
I am one of the parents who signed the letter. After reading this comment I'm very convinced that you are one of the people that has absolutely no idea what's going on. Not once ever has Mr. Lewis accosted anyone . You must be a very insecure person to have to go around making up lies about Lewis's and their son. You're another example of the cynical parents that have come on this internet spreading negativity and making false statements about us as parents trying to revamp the football program at SV. There is not 1 ounce of truth to your statement. God bless Mr. Lewis for standing up for us and our sons, it's about time somebody took charge and had the courage to help us make a positive change for the football program. :rolleyes:

Are you even serious "God bless Mr. Lewis", most of the stuff in the petition and letter are lies that Mr.Lewis started. For example, Ray hit kids or swears at players. I play for Ray and i've never heard him swear or ever hit anyone. He motivates players to do their best and is very influentisl. Although hes made some bad calls last year, what coach hasn't? Hes a good coach and a great person. You obviously have no idea what happens at practices or off season works outs. Well you would obviously have no idea what happens at off season work outs because your son is one of the "star preformers" that you think is not playing as much as you think he should. And its not the coaches fault for the losing season. Its the kids piss poor attitude about the team. Only 5-7 varsity players show up at weight lifting in the off season. At practices no one cares because they have their heads up in the clouds not caring about the team, but themselves and how many yards they will get. And until the teams mentalilty changes about playing together and not for themselves they will not have a winning season. Last year we had so much talent on the team, its just that those players didnt care about the team and they would get pissed off when they didnt get the ball they wouldnt throw a block. And then they would get yelled at for what they didnt do on the field, and they would go and complain and throw their temper tantrums. How can you seriously blame losing on Ray when the problems start with the parent's and player's negative attitude. If the player kept their mouth shut and didnt talk back and if they worked hard in both the season and off season we wouldnt have this problem we have now, its all because no one wants to work hard and most of them think they are the star player when in fact their not.

Guest Ploufferdoosh
Are you even serious "God bless Mr. Lewis", most of the stuff in the petition and letter are lies that Mr.Lewis started. For example, Ray hit kids or swears at players. I play for Ray and i've never heard him swear or ever hit anyone. He motivates players to do their best and is very influentisl. Although hes made some bad calls last year, what coach hasn't? Hes a good coach and a great person. You obviously have no idea what happens at practices or off season works outs. Well you would obviously have no idea what happens at off season work outs because your son is one of the "star preformers" that you think is not playing as much as you think he should. And its not the coaches fault for the losing season. Its the kids piss poor attitude about the team. Only 5-7 varsity players show up at weight lifting in the off season. At practices no one cares because they have their heads up in the clouds not caring about the team, but themselves and how many yards they will get. And until the teams mentalilty changes about playing together and not for themselves they will not have a winning season. Last year we had so much talent on the team, its just that those players didnt care about the team and they would get pissed off when they didnt get the ball they wouldnt throw a block. And then they would get yelled at for what they didnt do on the field, and they would go and complain and throw their temper tantrums. How can you seriously blame losing on Ray when the problems start with the parent's and player's negative attitude. If the player kept their mouth shut and didnt talk back and if they worked hard in both the season and off season we wouldnt have this problem we have now, its all because no one wants to work hard and most of them think they are the star player when in fact their not.

All you SV people are out of hand. Pass a budget first, then worry about running the school for the employees.

Guest hahaha
All you SV people are out of hand. Pass a budget first, then worry about running the school for the employees.

Boy you really got something against Plouffe don't ya? :lol:

Archived