Looking for a good christian church

Guest Guest

History fully supports a married priesthood. For the first 1200 years of the Church�s existence, priests, bishops and 39 popes were married. Celibacy existed in the first century among hermits and monks, but it was considered an optional, alternative lifestyle. Medieval politics brought about the discipline of mandatory celibacy for priests.

Show me were bishops were married. Regardless, the Shepard of the Church on earth has the final say anyway.

• Replies 579
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Show me were bishops were married. Regardless, the Shepard of the Church on earth has the final say anyway.

Depending on the century and the churches agenda at the time.

History fully supports a married priesthood. For the first 1200 years of the Church�s existence, priests, bishops and 39 popes were married. Celibacy existed in the first century among hermits and monks, but it was considered an optional, alternative lifestyle. Medieval politics brought about the discipline of mandatory celibacy for priests.

1579 All the ordained ministers of the Latin Church, with the exception of permanent deacons, are normally chosen from among men of faith who live a celibate life and who intend to remain celibate "for the sake of the kingdom of heaven."70 Called to consecrate themselves with undivided heart to the Lord and to "the affairs of the Lord,"71 they give themselves entirely to God and to men. Celibacy is a sign of this new life to the service of which the Church's minister is consecrated; accepted with a joyous heart celibacy radiantly proclaims the Reign of God.72

70 Mt 19:12.

71 1 Cor 7:32.

72 Cf. PO 16.

Do the research. Learn about the origins of "christianity". You have just as much internet as the rest of us. Dig in and educate yourself. "Pentecost" as a concept was pretty late to the party. Don't just read the stuff that sounds good to you. Really, really learn.

Not quite sure what your getting at but your starting to sound like a troll... Pentecost is described in the Acts of the Apostles and is Considered the birthday of the Catholic Church. If you have some proof that says otherwise feel free to share or I guess you could keep telling us to do "research."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Catholic_Church

Depending on the century and the churches agenda at the time.

It's up to the Shepard of the Lord's Church ---The Keeper of the Keys to Heaven---The Vicar of Christ---yeah the Pope to decide what is what. It's up to him. If he wanted to make a complete married priesthood, he could----if he chose. It is his choice and no other. He was appointed to his office by the Holy Spirit and what he says goes.

Not quite sure what your getting at but your starting to sound like a troll... Pentecost is described in the Acts of the Apostles and is Considered the birthday of the Catholic Church. If you have some proof that says otherwise feel free to share or I guess you could keep telling us to do "research."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_the_Catholic_Church

The guys is a gutless troll. He doesn't have a clue when and what Pentecost was. Don't waste your time.

It's up to the Shepard of the Lord's Church ---The Keeper of the Keys to Heaven---The Vicar of Christ---yeah the Pope to decide what is what. It's up to him. If he wanted to make a complete married priesthood, he could----if he chose. It is his choice and no other. He was appointed to his office by the Holy Spirit and what he says goes.

A human making God's decisions? No wonder the catholic church is so fucked up!

A human making God's decisions? No wonder the catholic church is so fucked up!

God did choose any type of married priesthood... The Catholic Church is FAR FROM SCREWED UP. Every other church has changed bu the Catholic.

The Pope has the KEYS to the Kingdom of Heaven. What don't you understand?

Jesus said this to the first POPE, St. Peter:

Matthew 16:17-20

Jesus replied, "Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven." Then he warned his disciples not to tell anyone that he was the Christ.

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=NIV

--------

Would you like to tell me who has more authority in Christianity on earth than the Pope? LOL.

Celibacy is a discipline and it can change. St Paul does not back up a married priesthood for those who want to worship God 100%. He states a married man has to split his time between his family and Christ. A celibate man does not.

Celibacy is not a huge issue for those who want to give God 100%.

So - like the Pope has a mental hot-line to God?

He's the Vicar of Christ---The one appointed by Christ to have the Keys to Heaven. No other person has the keys to heaven than the POPE. Hence the crossed keys in the Pope's insignia, one gold one silver.

AFC - I bet in real life you are a nice human being, misguided, but OK.

You really should, for the sake of your mental health, stop being misguided.

Your responses only confirm to most of us that you treat the catholic church as a cult, but you are too blind too see this.

Your responses only confirm to most of us that you treat the catholic church as a cult, but you are too blind too see this.

No, I actually believe Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. BOTH. If you think the CC is a cult, you MUST believe all Christianity is a cult.

No, I actually believe Sacred Tradition and Sacred Scripture. BOTH. If you think the CC is a cult, you MUST believe all Christianity is a cult.

I believe most religions have cult-like qualities. But until I saw your posts, I didn't think any particular one stood out.

I believe most religions have cult-like qualities. But until I saw your posts, I didn't think any particular one stood out.

Don't blame me because of your ignorance of Christianity and what it truly means outside of your lopsided views.

Don't blame me because of your ignorance of Christianity and what it truly means outside of your lopsided views.

I'm not blaming you, just stating a fact. If you consider my views lopsided, you have proven my point.

I'm not blaming you, just stating a fact. If you consider my views lopsided, you have proven my point.

Obedience is a virtue that Christ practiced "until the end" Yes, Christ existed as a human being.....

Obedience is a virtue that Christ practiced "until the end" Yes, Christ existed as a human being.....

And you know this for a fact because you were there at the time. :rolleyes:

The Catholic Church is no cult, anymore than Presbyterianism is. It is, however, the one church that can trace its direct roots to its inception by Christ and the Twelve Apostles. You can make the argument that the Orthodox church can, too, but it did not formally split from the Western church until the Great Schism in 1054. The church is not perfect, because we are not perfect. However, it is the real thing. Catholics make their church what they want it to be. Italian churches are different than Irish ones. There are different rites and practices. But our core beliefs are the same, and that is that there is one God, Christ is God's son, he came to redeem us, instituted the eucharist at the Last Supper. We believe in the Trinity, and divine inspiration of the bible. We also believe that Christ appointed Peter as the first Pope. "You are rock, and upon you I will build my Church. Whose sins you hold bound are bound, and those that you forgive are forgiven." If you read the bible, it is hard to argue that Peter was put in charge. The church's structure is similar to the Roman army. The early church saw its structure as workable, and it stuck. If the church started today, it might be patterned after a corporation. I suspect that much of the hatred of the Catholic Church is driven by ignorance or Protestant ministers who have maligned it from their pulpits. I converted after going to a Catholic church for several months. I must tell you that I always felt that I was a Christian, but felt a fulfilled Christian afterwards. During my conversion process it was made clear that the Catholic church does not say you must be Catholic to go to heaven. They have also been the most active in ecumenical work.

And you know this for a fact because you were there at the time. :rolleyes:

There is more written about Jesus Christ, IN THE VERY FIRST CENTURY, than any other person in antiquity. There is no other person that has more eyewitness accounts than Jesus Christ in antiquity. Jesus rocked the world in His time. Read the non-biblical accounts...

written about. human accounts.

Ever read the national enquirer? There is a perfect example of human falabilities and why they should not be followed to the T.

The Catholic Church is no cult, anymore than Presbyterianism is. It is, however, the one church that can trace its direct roots to its inception by Christ and the Twelve Apostles. You can make the argument that the Orthodox church can, too, but it did not formally split from the Western church until the Great Schism in 1054. The church is not perfect, because we are not perfect. However, it is the real thing. Catholics make their church what they want it to be. Italian churches are different than Irish ones. There are different rites and practices. But our core beliefs are the same, and that is that there is one God, Christ is God's son, he came to redeem us, instituted the eucharist at the Last Supper. We believe in the Trinity, and divine inspiration of the bible. We also believe that Christ appointed Peter as the first Pope. "You are rock, and upon you I will build my Church. Whose sins you hold bound are bound, and those that you forgive are forgiven." If you read the bible, it is hard to argue that Peter was put in charge. The church's structure is similar to the Roman army. The early church saw its structure as workable, and it stuck. If the church started today, it might be patterned after a corporation. I suspect that much of the hatred of the Catholic Church is driven by ignorance or Protestant ministers who have maligned it from their pulpits. I converted after going to a Catholic church for several months. I must tell you that I always felt that I was a Christian, but felt a fulfilled Christian afterwards. During my conversion process it was made clear that the Catholic church does not say you must be Catholic to go to heaven. They have also been the most active in ecumenical work.

What a great post! The Catholic Church teaches the normal way to salvation is through the Catholic Church (sacraments), which is Christ's instrument of Reconciliation. The abnormal way is through the ignorance of it, through no fault of the person.

Archived