If you could move

Guest Guest

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
Have you spent much time there? A week or two vacation is one thing, living there 365 is another. Humidity doesn't bother you? Gigantic roaches - they call them palmetto bugs - don't bother you? All the gray hairs don't bother you? Gators? Hurricanes? Snakes? I am not fond of those things and my Fla friends put up with all of them quite often.

You need to go out shopping at any grocery store in the middle of the day. You'd never imagine that we have THAT many old people living in this area.

We're overloaded with the "gray hairs."

@

Guest guest
Are the people much nicer there than they are here? I am tired of being around so many miserable / negative people. :(

The people I met down there were very friendly. In the housing development that my daughter lives in, they have been wonderful welcoming her family into the neighborhood. Very religious wonderful people in that area. There is so much to do in the Knoxville area. Pigeon Forge has wonderful entertainment, Dollywood (a wonderful place to visit), Spalsh Country, Dixie Stampede, Comedy shows, etc. Gatlinburg has tons of little shops and artistic areas. The Smoky Mts. are gorgeous and offers alot of hiking and picnic areas. Many tubing and white water rafting areas. A wonderful time to visit the Pigeon Forge area is in Sept. because all the hotels have alot lower rates then. Very busy in the summer and then again in Oct. when people come to see the leaves changing in the mountains. The drive down is very easy, take 81 almost all the way until just before you get to Knoxville. If you are a NASCAR fan, there are several racetracks within a few hrs. drive.

Guest danbury
I have moved. Wherever you go, you take yourself with you. Certain places might make happiness easier to find, but if you're a miserable person to begin with, you'll be miserable anywhere. We see a mess of them here in Florida. BTW, Florida is somewhat like NYS. There is the 'peninsula' and the 'panhandle'. One section is northern Central America. The other is South Alabama. I'm happy where it's still American Florida.

Have relatives in Broome County who steered me to this web site. Lotsa interesting observations. Seems like y'all still have some real wing-ding politicians mismanaging the place. I can understand why so many might want to escape to another region. There are idiots in office everywhere, but WOW.

@

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Guest Guest

Olympia, WA

Portland, OR

...or somewhere within 60 miles of either...

Maybe Salem, OR, but I've never actually visited there...

Failing that, Asheville, NC is quite lovely, and in the next couple of years, a dream job of mine might be open in that general area, with the person in charge of hiring being a friend/penpal of mine... But for now, it's a pipe dream...

Guest country girl
The people I met down there were very friendly. In the housing development that my daughter lives in, they have been wonderful welcoming her family into the neighborhood. Very religious wonderful people in that area. There is so much to do in the Knoxville area. Pigeon Forge has wonderful entertainment, Dollywood (a wonderful place to visit), Spalsh Country, Dixie Stampede, Comedy shows, etc. Gatlinburg has tons of little shops and artistic areas. The Smoky Mts. are gorgeous and offers alot of hiking and picnic areas. Many tubing and white water rafting areas. A wonderful time to visit the Pigeon Forge area is in Sept. because all the hotels have alot lower rates then. Very busy in the summer and then again in Oct. when people come to see the leaves changing in the mountains. The drive down is very easy, take 81 almost all the way until just before you get to Knoxville. If you are a NASCAR fan, there are several racetracks within a few hrs. drive.

Sounds like a nice place to live.....certainly better than here!! Thanks for the info. Hopefully I will be able to move to that area within the next year or so.

Guest cyberdog

Two things--1. the poster who said, anyone can move is absolutely right! All it takes is guts. So why don't people move? The real reason is that they do a kind of cost-benefit analysis, even if on a sub-conscious level, and decide that it's not worth it. Moving to say Wellfleet, MA seems like a good idea but when the reality of housing cost and limited employment prospects is considered, it cannot be justified. You might make more in Pheonix, but housing and other quality of life considerations often make it undesirable. For others, of course, moving to North Carolina, or Seattle, or wherever IS worth it. For me persoanlly, I agree that Binghamton is not an ideal place to live, but if you find good employment, you can enjoy a good quality of life--affordable housing, short commutes, and a great deal of natural beauty, just to name a few.

2. If you are miserable unhappy person here, you will be a miserable unhappy person in Seattle. I can't count the number of times I hear someone talk about moving to ________ and how good the economy is and how wonderful it's going to be etc. only to later hear how they returned, discovering to their surprise that the grass wasn't so green after all.

Guest Southern Hospitality
Are the people much nicer there than they are here? I am tired of being around so many miserable / negative people. :(

IDK if you've ever heard the saying Southern Hospitality? For the most part that statement is true excluding Florida. The general rule for FL is if you've lived in NYC then you've lived in FL one time or another. DELETED NYC'ers are taking over Florida :angry:

@

Guest Got some stats!
Hello............you CAN move, anyone can move. Dont talk about money- there is more money to be made in other parts of the country, especially at the places most people want to move to. A construction worker in Vegas makes as much as a lawyer in binghamton. Dont use family as an excuse, for a couple hundred bucks you can visit anywhere in the US. The only excuse you have is YOU DONT HAVE THE GUTS TO MOVE, you'd rather WHINE!!

@

Though the pay may be higher in other area's, it doesn't always equal out as well as Binghamton does. Though the pay is significantly lower in Binghamton than lets say Southern Cali, you still must pay very high mortgage and insurance rates (which per capita doesn't nearly equal out as good as it does here). Here's a site to help compare the cost of living and many other factors such as crime for example in Binghamton and Lodi CA.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Binghamton-New_York.aspx#9

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Lodi-California.aspx#9

Guest Guest
Though the pay may be higher in other area's, it doesn't always equal out as well as Binghamton does. Though the pay is significantly lower in Binghamton than lets say Southern Cali, you still must pay very high mortgage and insurance rates (which per capita doesn't nearly equal out as good as it does here). Here's a site to help compare the cost of living and many other factors such as crime for example in Binghamton and Lodi CA.

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Binghamton-New_York.aspx#9

http://www.bestplaces.net/city/Lodi-California.aspx#9

Utilities are off the wall costs in Binghamton, but seems to fare better in the overall long run!

Guest Guest
IDK if you've ever heard the saying Southern Hospitality? For the most part that statement is true excluding Florida. The general rule for FL is if you've lived in NYC then you've lived in FL one time or another. Fricken NYC'ers are taking over Florida :angry:

@

Where in Florida are you talking about? I've been going to Florida for vacation for years and have owned a place there since the early 90's. I rarely run into a person from NYC.

@

Guest Guest
You need to go out shopping at any grocery store in the middle of the day. You'd never imagine that we have THAT many old people living in this area.

We're overloaded with the "gray hairs."

@

Well that's 1 out of 6. I work for a living so I don't shop mid day, and I never go to early bird dinners.

Someplace dry and where they had mild winters. Probably someplace out west would be nice. But I like the four seasons that we have here. Plus I don’t think I could give up my family.

Where in Florida are you talking about? I've been going to Florida for vacation for years and have owned a place there since the early 90's. I rarely run into a person from NYC.

@

I don't know anything about the NYC influx, but I spent 1980 in St. Pete., the year I got married, and never met one single person that was actually born in Florida!

Been there done that ............ Im so happy to be in NY state...

Theres just things that you cannot see, get or feel south of the border.. Indian Rock .. whoymising PA (spelling please) ...... eastern NC doesnt even come close ..

Rivers that actually are interesting and fun ............ TAR RIVER eastern NC .......... mud and pig crap infested wallow..

School systems.. that are not 76% racial .... hahahahahaha need i go on?

Guest Guest

@

Mainly South Florida. Not so much Central and North. Where abouts do you own property?

@

I'm bumping this for 2pelo Honey, Sleepless and whoever else was involved in the Cape Cod discussion to see. Didn't want to start a whole thread for this tidbit.....

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../NEWS/804040341

http://www.capecodonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll.../NEWS/804050319

http://news.bostonherald.com/news/regional...&position=5

I would have never thought this!

@

Sorry, Tazz, just finding this...what the HELL!?!?!?!

I know! I could not believe it when this popped on my major alerts...a persons life ruined over a stupid screwdriver. Thank Goodness, the family wasn't killed in the fire.

Guest Tar Heel

I moved to Chapel Hill NC in the mid 90's. Got a job at UNC in Administration. I was there almost 5 years. The third day I was there I was mugged in front of the building I worked in, it happened again about six months later . I was stuck in traffic one afternoon when some whacked out law student walked up the street with a M1 shooting at people. He killed one student and the manager of a local McDonald's, also shot a finger off a female cop. There was a gun fight in the parking lot of my apartment complex, the police showed up when things quieted down(the police station was two blocks away). Every window in my car was broken out of my car in the parking lot at work. If you worked late a campus cop was supposed to walk you to your car. The rape crisis center off campus was full of cars every day. The list goes on...........

Finally moved back to NYS. The worst thing to happen so far is the ATM machine was down one night when I needed money.

Think I will stay in this area.

Archived