Wish me luck

Guest Just Lookin

Guest Just Lookin

Beautiful day outside today thought I'd go out and rake up some of the yard. I didn't get 3 small strips done when I was out of breath and had a horrible tight feeling in my chest that quite frankly scared me. Threw down the rake came indoors laid down and am feeling okay now. I had heart troubles in the past but this just scared the hell outta me which is maybe just what I needed to quit for good. Its only been an hour but I'm already proud of myself I never go more than 30 minutes without one! I just threw out everything ashtrays. lighters, and smokes I still had and damn it I might become bitchier for a while and maybe I'll even get fat (I hope not) but I AM going to be a non-smoker!!!! That sh*t is going to kill me if I don't and this afternoon just proved it!

Ok it was a spur of the moment thing but from all I've read about quitting smoking they always say get a support system and let people know you have quit..........so I QUIT! If I told certain people that are close to me they would all just laugh and say "yeah right" and ask when I'm having my next smoke, they won't believe me. They are non supporters so I'm not even going to mention it to them lets just see how long it takes before they notice!

Thanks for listening!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Good luck! We're rooting for you! When it gets rough just hang in there and tough it out it will be worth it and it will get easier!!

Guest Melanie

OP, I know what you mean about not wanting to tell people that you quit. I didn't tell anybody at work that I quit because they will not believe me. I'll wait about 1 month before I tell people. It helps that my boyfriend also quit.

I quit last august 11th, it was a little tough but you can get through it, just hang in there when you have an urge brush your teeth, And MAKE SURE you wash things that can hold in the smell like rugs, blinds, bedding, windows Its not going to be the easiest thing you have ever done But by far the best, You will notice within the first day how much better your lung capacity is, And you will thank yourself in the end, and water helps a lot just sip it slowly YOU CAN DO IT!

Guest Just Lookin

Thanks for all the tips guys and please keep them coming! My god it's only been 2.5 hours and I'm struggling I can't imagine how bad its going to be come tomorrow morning when I wake up!

JL, it may seem odd for me to give you advice since I am still a smoker, but I have done it before and the thing that helped was to keep telling myself that I could just go another hour. I would find something to do and before I knew it a few hours would have passed and then if the urge hit again I'd tell myself, just another hour and find something else to do.

Guest Guest-country girl-*
Thanks for all the tips guys and please keep them coming! My god it's only been 2.5 hours and I'm struggling I can't imagine how bad its going to be come tomorrow morning when I wake up!

Good luck, I hope it will be easy for you. I have to try to quit myself, I am considering that laser therapy. I know that I will not be able to just quit, I will have to do it gradually. If you slip, dont feel like a failure and think that you cant do it, just keep trying. Let us know how you are doing.

JL,

My best to you on your success! Believe me I know how very difficult it can be ( as an On again, off again smoker) Take it a day at a time..a minute at a time if needed. Use the support you have from family and friends, most importantly remind yourself why you want to quit for YOU!~

Good Luck, JL!

@

Guest Guest
JL, it may seem odd for me to give you advice since I am still a smoker, but I have done it before and the thing that helped was to keep telling myself that I could just go another hour. I would find something to do and before I knew it a few hours would have passed and then if the urge hit again I'd tell myself, just another hour and find something else to do.

I stopped drinking and drugging more than 20 years ago. That was the prevailing wisdom I heard a lot back then. It was "a day at a time", or, if that's too much to deal with, an hour at a time.

I lost the desire to quit almost as soon as I did quit. I met hundreds of people who were not nearly as fortunate as I. For many of them, it truly was an hour or 5 minutes at a time.

Don't think about tomorrow. You don't think about next week. You focus on the now.

Give yourself a time period in which you will "delay" the decision to pick another one up. If it's 4:12, tell yourself you will wait until 5:00 to make a decision. At 5:00, do it again for another hour.

Trying to quit RIGHT NOW for the rest of your life is impossible. You can't live tomorrow right now, why worry about whether you'll be smoking tomorrow? Concentrate on today, right now, the next hour or 6 hours, whatever you can handle.

Guest Guest
Beautiful day outside today thought I'd go out and rake up some of the yard. I didn't get 3 small strips done when I was out of breath and had a horrible tight feeling in my chest that quite frankly scared me. Threw down the rake came indoors laid down and am feeling okay now. I had heart troubles in the past but this just scared the hell outta me which is maybe just what I needed to quit for good. Its only been an hour but I'm already proud of myself I never go more than 30 minutes without one! I just threw out everything ashtrays. lighters, and smokes I still had and damn it I might become bitchier for a while and maybe I'll even get fat (I hope not) but I AM going to be a non-smoker!!!! That sh*t is going to kill me if I don't and this afternoon just proved it!

Ok it was a spur of the moment thing but from all I've read about quitting smoking they always say get a support system and let people know you have quit..........so I QUIT! If I told certain people that are close to me they would all just laugh and say "yeah right" and ask when I'm having my next smoke, they won't believe me. They are non supporters so I'm not even going to mention it to them lets just see how long it takes before they notice!

Thanks for listening!

You sound just like someone I know named "Diane."

Good for you Good Lookin - Hope you succeed. Your body will thank you. I will say a prayer for you to have strength. Wish you could talk my husband into quitting also. Good luck!

@

Best of luck, JL!!!

As stated in prior posts, take it a little bit at a time.

How about thinking of what you'll do w/ all the $$$ you save in one year of not smoking, especially once the taxes go up again?

A friend of mine who quit about a year and a half ago took off power walking if she started tweaking too bad.

ETA - also, if you have munchy cravings, keep lots of fresh veggies and/or plain popcorn in the house.

You may want to stock up on sugarless gum and/or hard candies, too.

Guest Guest

let me first wish you luck! second if you find yourself in trouble and want another one just put a big wad of skoal in your lip and puke I promise you wont want another cig! GOOD LUCK worked for me!

Archived