1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

1985/1986 BHS was the greatest assembly of athletes this area has ever seen. No other school in this area or perhaps even state can say they won a NYS Championship in Football and Basketball in the same academic year. Seriously, I don't think it's ever been done in the history of NYS. Somebody out there tell me if another school has done it because I'm not aware of one.

The crazy part is nobody challenged the football team and the basketball team went to Glen Falls and just destroyed everybody. It wasn't even close.

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
1985/1986 BHS was the greatest assembly of athletes this area has ever seen. No other school in this area or perhaps even state can say they won a NYS Championship in Football and Basketball in the same academic year. Seriously, I don't think it's ever been done in the history of NYS. Somebody out there tell me if another school has done it because I'm not aware of one.

The crazy part is nobody challenged the football team and the basketball team went to Glen Falls and just destroyed everybody. It wasn't even close.

UE 79/80

Football state championship

basketball lost in final - 3 d 1 players on team- Sonny Spera- Syracuse, Sean kerins Syracuse, Mike Sinicki Boston College

golf- state champioship

swimming boys- state championship

boys bowling state championship

baseball- won section ranked in state

softball- won section ranked in state

wrestling- 6 in state

UE 79/80 greatest yr ever in NYS high school sports... Ue lsot a close game in basketball- went in as the favorites.

do agree though what you saw with 85/85 Bing and 79/80 UE will never be seen again in this area.

Guest Guest
Buffalo Sweet Home / Susan B, Wagner ( Staten Island).........79 definately the best of all time.....Size,Speed and provewn D1 talent ( Syr,Rut,WF)

They did not play Sweet Home, they played Bishop Timon. Timon and Wagner are both scrub teams who are never any good at football. Proves nothing. Get the transitive property out of here with that Ithaca garbage, too. Henninger was 2nd best team in Syracuse? Says who? Again, get out of here with this '79 team myth. I don't care about scholarships. They probably gave them out because the team was winning and figured, "these guys must be able to play." I'll bet none of these players did anything at the next level. In my opinion, '95 and '00 were better than '79 because they accomplished more, beating good teams outside of the section and winning double-digit games, something '79 didn't do.

-Old U.E. Alum

Guest Guest
They did not play Sweet Home, they played Bishop Timon. Timon and Wagner are both scrub teams who are never any good at football. Proves nothing. Get the transitive property out of here with that Ithaca garbage, too. Henninger was 2nd best team in Syracuse? Says who? Again, get out of here with this '79 team myth. I don't care about scholarships. They probably gave them out because the team was winning and figured, "these guys must be able to play." I'll bet none of these players did anything at the next level. In my opinion, '95 and '00 were better than '79 because they accomplished more, beating good teams outside of the section and winning double-digit games, something '79 didn't do.

-Old U.E. Alum

some old UE alum you are?- UE still holds the large school section 4 record of point scored versus points given up-

450 - 26 and the 26 that was given up was the second string defense. UE 79 4 touchdowns better than bhs 85..

best team ever assembled in NYS history. TImon and Wagner each won their repective classes during those times.

Guest Guest
UE 79/80

Football state championship

basketball lost in final - 3 d 1 players on team- Sonny Spera- Syracuse, Sean kerins Syracuse, Mike Sinicki Boston College

golf- state champioship

swimming boys- state championship

boys bowling state championship

baseball- won section ranked in state

softball- won section ranked in state

wrestling- 6 in state

UE 79/80 greatest yr ever in NYS high school sports... Ue lsot a close game in basketball- went in as the favorites.

do agree though what you saw with 85/85 Bing and 79/80 UE will never be seen again in this area.

Track was unbeaten that year also. They were in the middle of a ten year unbeaten streak

Wow, that year brings back great memories. I remember the headlines in the newspaper after that spring season ended. it read. U.E. educating a bunch of winners.

What makes me laugh is that some of these Binghamton fans try to make there argument with no facts and say that Binghamton had more speed. That is simply not true. Norris was the 100 and 220 yard dash champion for U.E. Bucci was the 400 meter champ. Koban wasn't called fast Eddie for nothing, he was the hurdles champ.

Beddoe and Marsh were D1 players who could motor. Those 5 guys beat in a relay any five guys Binghamton can come up with from the 85 team.

That basketball team for U.E. lost in the last minute of the game to a Mount Vernon team that featured NBA players Scooter and Rodney McCray. The year Binghamton won they had a failry easy path. The next year Rice and company came back for another season and got routed by Archibishop Malloy.

In that year there were not baseball state playoffs, U.E. might have won that too.

Guest Guest

In case you missed it ...

U.E. 79 was the best team ever in Section4 and possibly the state.

- In light of UE's extensive success outside of Setion Four since the onset of the State Playoff system, I find your claim to be entirely absurd. Laughable even.

Quarterback Edge U.E. with fast Eddie Koban who was recruited to Syracuse as a QB

Wrong - Olmstead was much better passer, BHS ran a pro-style offense - not the straight on blocking scheme run over people because you are bigger 1950s style that UE deployed. Koban was the better athlete, but not the better QB.

Running backs even Norris from U.E. was the fastest of them all.

WOW - What are you smoking ? Rice and Coleman - It's not even close.

Receivers edge U.E. with Beddoe and Bucci D1 players

AGAIN - Not even close. Binghamton's offensive scheme alone made their receivers better. UE passing attack was non-existant compared to Binghamton.

Offensive line edge U.E (JOKE - Don't confuse Size for ability. Binghamton tougher and faster)

Defensive line big edge U.E. Tatko and Villanti were big time D1 recruits (Same as above)

Linebackers l edge U.E. George and Depoffi would knock your lights out

- You can't hit what you can't catch. Binghamton would run around and over UE's slow footed LBs ...

Defensive backs small edge Binghamton only because they had some guys go both ways, U.E. only had Bucci

- Gee thanks for the "small edge" - Are you serious ???

Kicker big edge for Marsh and U.E.

-I'll give you that one. Of course. he wouldn't see too much action - unless he was the Punter too ...

U.E 79 is a legend in their own mind. Binghamton got it done.

The 85-86 Patriots were the best class of athletes ever to come out of this area - hands down.

Guest Guest
Are you kidding? UE 79 10 Division 1 players for crying out loud. Unheard from in NY.

Again, don't be stupid. YOu REALLY think no other team in NYS history had at least 11? For crying out loud little Chenango Forks had 5 from its 2004 team go to D1 colleges for football. You think no large powerhouse had over twice that? Ever?

ALso, using "10 D1 football players" as an arguing tool against Binghamton 1985 is also stupid. They had guys go to college for hoops that likely would have had at least small D1 offers had they chosen football. Even if not, that item alone does not mean one team was better than the other. It's all about athletes, teamwork, matchups, all of those variables.

Two VERY good football teams and I hate to pull out the old and tired cliche, but if they played ten times I'd expect either one could win just 6 of them.

My main point of contention in this argument is the U-E faithful's SILLY claim it was the best ever team in NYS history. Hogwash. Same goes with the asinine claim no other team in NYS history had at least 10 go D1 for football. Seen all 25,000 NYS football rosters from the last 50 years have you?

That basketball team for U.E. lost in the last minute of the game to a Mount Vernon team that featured NBA players Scooter and Rodney McCray. The year Binghamton won they had a failry easy path. The next year Rice and company came back for another season and got routed by Archibishop Malloy.

My instincts tell me we've argued this before in the past on BCVoive. Binghamton had an easy path? They beat Lincoln 79-61 in the title game. Anybody who was there knows it could have been 30. Lincoln is the most famed basketball program in NYC. Did you ever think Binghamton was just that much better than everybody else? I'm guessing the Saints won the Super Bowl this year because it was an off year in the NFL. No matter how you slice it. Binghamton won a state title in both football and basketball. UE came up short.

In Football it's close

In Basketball. Binghamton beats that UE team by 20 points and I'm being kind.

Guest Guest
My instincts tell me we've argued this before in the past on BCVoive. Binghamton had an easy path? They beat Lincoln 79-61 in the title game. Anybody who was there knows it could have been 30. Lincoln is the most famed basketball program in NYC. Did you ever think Binghamton was just that much better than everybody else? I'm guessing the Saints won the Super Bowl this year because it was an off year in the NFL. No matter how you slice it. Binghamton won a state title in both football and basketball. UE came up short.

In Football it's close

In Basketball. Binghamton beats that UE team by 20 points and I'm being kind.

what part did you not read that UE won 6 other state titles that yr in various sports. Basketball lsot in the title game and UE had 3 Division 1 basketball players. How many did Bing have- 1 King Rice.

UE pound for pound best sport school in the history of Binghamton NY- second is even close.

Guest BHS Grad
what part did you not read that UE won 6 other state titles that yr in various sports. Basketball lsot in the title game and UE had 3 Division 1 basketball players. How many did Bing have- 1 King Rice.

UE pound for pound best sport school in the history of Binghamton NY- second is even close.

The 1985/1986 BHS class also had numerous other titles in other sports. May have to go hunting for my old yearbook to find out. Also lots and lots of doctors, lawyers, etc... from that class. Just a once in a generation collection of great kids that would put the kids today to shame.

Guest Guest
The 1985/1986 BHS class also had numerous other titles in other sports. May have to go hunting for my old yearbook to find out. Also lots and lots of doctors, lawyers, etc... from that class. Just a once in a generation collection of great kids that would put the kids today to shame.

it was just football and basketball- nothing else- thats great and all but UE won 6 state titles in various sports in 79/80- I do not think that has ever been done before in NY or has since. Doubt it.

Guest Guest
it was just football and basketball- nothing else- thats great and all but UE won 6 state titles in various sports in 79/80- I do not think that has ever been done before in NY or has since. Doubt it.

Did UE also win the Chess Championship? The thread is about the best football team. Basketball carried over and that's fine. Anybody whoever went to High knows the best athletes play football and basketball. BHS won state titles in both. BHS had the better athletes.

Guest Jimmy the Greek

Binghamton had more black athletes.

The black is a better athlete to begin with because he's been bred to be that way — because of his high thighs and big thighs that goes up into his back, and they can jump higher and run faster because of their bigger thighs. This goes back all the way to the Civil War when during the slave trading, the owner — the slave owner would breed his big black to his big woman so that he could have a big black kid.

Therefore Binghamton was better than UE

Guest Guest

Huh I believe one of the best coaches in this area said it best in the Press and Sun.........

In all my years of coaching I have never seen a better team in our section or for that matter the state then the U-E 79 football team.....

Dick Hover former HC Vestal HS......a LEGAND!

And it wasn't Timon you nit wit...It was Buffalo SWeet Home....OLD U-E Alum....get your facts straight

Guest Guest
In that year there were not baseball state playoffs, U.E. might have won that too.

No football playoffs either, so I have no idea how/why you claim a state championship. MIGHT have won it though.

Guest Guest
what part did you not read that UE won 6 other state titles that yr in various sports. Basketball lsot in the title game

Might want to re-check that. They did not make it to the state title game. Didn't even make the final four.

Guest Guest
UE 79/80

wrestling- 6 in state

6 what in state? They were not even in the top 25. Waverly was #14, Sherburne-Earlville was #21. No one else in Section 4 was ranked. And don't tell me you were off by a year, they were not ranked the year before nor the year after. They WERE #23 in 77/78, with Vestal, Sherburne and Sidney ahead of them.

Guest Guest
Might want to re-check that. They did not make it to the state title game. Didn't even make the final four.

By the way, I got this info from the Section 4 hoops site. If they are wrong and you are right then I apologize.

Guest Scooter and Rodney Mcray
By the way, I got this info from the Section 4 hoops site. If they are wrong and you are right then I apologize.

They got beat in the first round of the final four by eventual champ Mt. Vernon

Guest Guest
This has been debated on here before. Which school had the better Football Team and why?

1979 UE played nobody of national prominence and finished the year without any national ranking.

Vestal 1975 played nationally ranked Brockton, MA and beat them handily. Their Top 10 final ranking in the USA Today Rankings [4 or 5 I think] is still the best showing by any Section 4 Football Team ever.

BHS 1985 played the USA Today defending national champion [Ranked #1 at the time] and blew them away. With some of the same skill position players both the Football and Basketball teams finished ranked in the Top 15 USA Today Polls. Something no other school nation wide had done before. They had athletes that neither Vestal or UE could even dream to match.

The 1979 UE team deserves consideration in this conversation without question, but the answer is:

#1 1985 BHS

#2 1975 Vestal

#3 Maybe 1979 UE [ithaca had some teams that may have been better along with Vestal]

Guest Guest
1979 UE played nobody of national prominence and finished the year without any national ranking.

Vestal 1975 played nationally ranked Brockton, MA and beat them handily. Their Top 10 final ranking in the USA Today Rankings [4 or 5 I think] is still the best showing by any Section 4 Football Team ever.

BHS 1985 played the USA Today defending national champion [Ranked #1 at the time] and blew them away. With some of the same skill position players both the Football and Basketball teams finished ranked in the Top 15 USA Today Polls. Something no other school nation wide had done before. They had athletes that neither Vestal or UE could even dream to match.

The 1979 UE team deserves consideration in this conversation without question, but the answer is:

#1 1985 BHS

#2 1975 Vestal

#3 Maybe 1979 UE [ithaca had some teams that may have been better along with Vestal]

Just becasue a team does not play ateam with national prominence should be subjected to not being the best. the truth is UE79 had 10 Division 1 players on it and Bing 85 had no where near that. So if Bing 85 did not schedule Berwick- that yr would you say that UE 79 was better?- probably not. So you have to go with UE 79- better on paper by far.

UE 79 ranked 17 in the country

UE 89 rnaked 19 in the country.

UE 79 demolished teams locally moreso than Bing 85 did. UE first string defense did not allow one point all season- unheard of in the state and Bing 85 can not say that. UE 79 also scored more points than Bing 85 and the first string only played the second half in three games. If UE played Berwick I am sure that UE would have clobbered them. THis is such a dumb conversation-

Guest Guest
Angeline never said Binghamton had a better team. Read his book, he will tell you 79 was the best. The 85 Binghamton team was Junior laden. The following year in 86 They lost to U.E. 20-6. The 86 U.E. team was not in the same league as the powerhouse juggernaut U.E. team of 1979.

UE Boy, you really don’t know shit!

Maybe you need somebody to read you his book. What he said was that the 1975 Vestal team had the best claim to best ever team, Although, he stopped short of naming the best ever.

BHS 1986 was a major rebuilding year.

Guest Guest

"UE79 had 10 Division 1 players on it "

I count only 4 legitimate D1 School scholarship players. The other 6 schools were nothing more than D2 schools calling themselves D1.

Koban was a legitimate D1 player. When he was not able to win a starting position at QB he had the balls and ability to start for 3 years at S.

Beddoes was not a D1 player. A recruiting error. Never starting at then lowly Rutgers. A D2 caliber player at best.

I'm not sure about the two big guys? The OT who went to SU started at least a few games I guess, I'm not sure. I do not recall how much/if any PT the OT who went to Wake got.

Guest Guest

Who cares what Frank thinks? Think there may be just a little bit of bias mixed in there???? I don't even buy that the '79 team was the best team in U-E history, let alone the section, let alone the state. They are a myth, hyped up by their coach as the best ever so they can hang on to and remember a great season eternally. Just because kids don't play D1 football doesn't mean their team wasn't better. A lot of kids are sick of playing football after high school when they've been playing since the age of 7 or 8 years old. A lot of people have other dreams and aspirations than being a "legend" on the gridiron, or on the BCVOICE Sports Forum.

Again, the '95 and '00 teams, had their been no state playoffs, would likely be touted as the "greatest of all time" by all you blind, biased Tiger fans. '95 won 11 games before losing to a team from Jamestown using illegal players, and eventually having their state title ripped. At 11-0, and beating Section 3 champ Henninger handily, it may be argued they were the best ever. In '00, they ran the table impressively, blowing teams out to the point where the 1st string barely played during the 2nd half of games. They beat Liverpool that year handily, a team who beat eventual Section 3 Champ Henninger. U-E won the Championship something like 35-0 that year over a Binghamton team whose only other loss was to U-E earlier in the season. Binghamton also punished teams outside of the section that year. At 10-0 and decidedly, far and away the best team in the area that year, with no state playoffs, we'd be talking about them as the best ever now wouldn't we? They lost on a hail mary to Henninger in the Regionals. Whose to say that '79 team wouldn't have bowed out of the state playoffs the way every other U-E team has in the history of the school?!?!

-Old U-E Alum

Guest Guest

Minor problem with your post, the USA Today wasn't started until 1982 so its pretty tough for a 75 or 79 team to be ranked by it...just thought you might want to know that

Archived