1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

Guest Guest
If you watch that wonderfull youtube video from 1979 you will notice an interesting fact. Chenango Forks was defeated by North that year 22-20. Chenago Forks was ranked 10th in the state in the small school poll.

U.E. was up on North by 40 points at the half befotre Fran called the dogs off. In Fran's book he talks about a coach from the Syacuse area wh saw U.E. and the number two ranked team in the state from Syracuse.

They said the best Syracuse teams could not stay withing 4 tds of this juggernaut.

The team was Liverpool and the coach did see a UE game and he did in fact say it to Fran. North beat Forks- UE up 40 at the half against NOrth. Forks was a good team for their sized school back

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest
The team was Liverpool and the coach did see a UE game and he did in fact say it to Fran. North beat Forks- UE up 40 at the half against NOrth. Forks was a good team for their sized school back

Exactly - for their sized school. And also North's sized school, right? U-E was 3 times bigger than them, they should have demolished them. The fact is, that "juggernaut" still played no one of note. Not like the teams of today must do, or even the teams of the past 15 years. And yes, 1979 WAS a long time ago. It was 31 years ago!!!!

I agree that the practices were more grueling in terms of strictly conditioning. You don't see teams running circuits anymore at practice. You know why that is? Because teams are too busy teaching fundamentals and the play book during the Summer instead of wasting time "conditioning," which should have been done in the offseason. The Fall, Winter, and Spring conditioning and weight training programs DID NOT exist back then as they do know. I know this for a fact. It wasn't until around 1998 that U-E started the Winter conditioning programs at 5 AM before school, followed by weight training after in the off season. That NEVER happened back then. Instead they wasted their time running pointless circuits while they should have been running plays and working on timing and chemistry.

I played college football, and even there we had no time for conditioning at practice. If you were out of shape, you didn't play. They don't have time to wait for you to throw up and catch your breath. They're busy COACHING.

Guest Cody Mackiln
Exactly - for their sized school. And also North's sized school, right? U-E was 3 times bigger than them, they should have demolished them. The fact is, that "juggernaut" still played no one of note. Not like the teams of today must do, or even the teams of the past 15 years. And yes, 1979 WAS a long time ago. It was 31 years ago!!!!

I agree that the practices were more grueling in terms of strictly conditioning. You don't see teams running circuits anymore at practice. You know why that is? Because teams are too busy teaching fundamentals and the play book during the Summer instead of wasting time "conditioning," which should have been done in the offseason. The Fall, Winter, and Spring conditioning and weight training programs DID NOT exist back then as they do know. I know this for a fact. It wasn't until around 1998 that U-E started the Winter conditioning programs at 5 AM before school, followed by weight training after in the off season. That NEVER happened back then. Instead they wasted their time running pointless circuits while they should have been running plays and working on timing and chemistry.

I played college football, and even there we had no time for conditioning at practice. If you were out of shape, you didn't play. They don't have time to wait for you to throw up and catch your breath. They're busy COACHING.

THAT may be correct on some levels but many of the athletes played more than one sport if you think about it there WAS year round conditioning , all of the top players from the past played more than one sport most of them did Football + basketball, or baseball or Track of Wrestling. Alot players did do off season conditioning then. when i played at Cortland we had 3 a days and that included a lot of conditioning as well as play running. but that was in the 80's

Guest Guest

UE was up 47-7 at the half

UE was not 3 times bigger than North back then- maybe 130 more in a grade tops- UE 550 North 420 or so. UE faces much larger competition percentage now than North had to face in 79 against UE. Face it- UE 79 with the "type" of athlete that was around back then competed at a higher level than UE present day "athlete" . UE did well becasue of pure numbers and the area was at its peak in school pride, economy , jobs- all that takes part. Kind of like what Monroe Woddbury is going through. Do you know how much of an advantage you have by not playing someone both way?

Tiger Bob- who was UE suppposed to play of note? Well Itahca and Vestal were of state wide note. Just six years later Binghamton beat Berwick- they were of note right? YEs it was a Bing combined team - but it was only six yrs later.. Bottom line is many coaches across the state witnessed this team back then and the best team in section 3 said that UE was at least 4 touchdowns better. Would have won the state championship by at least 4-5 touchdowns. Vestal and Ithaca may have been the second and third best teams in the state. Tiger Bob- you always find a away to hype up your 95 team- it was a good team but not even close to the caliber of one of the best team's ever assembled in NY history.

Guest Guest
UE was up 47-7 at the half

UE was not 3 times bigger than North back then- maybe 130 more in a grade tops- UE 550 North 420 or so. UE faces much larger competition percentage now than North had to face in 79 against UE. Face it- UE 79 with the "type" of athlete that was around back then competed at a higher level than UE present day "athlete" . UE did well becasue of pure numbers and the area was at its peak in school pride, economy , jobs- all that takes part. Kind of like what Monroe Woddbury is going through. Do you know how much of an advantage you have by not playing someone both way?

Tiger Bob- who was UE suppposed to play of note? Well Itahca and Vestal were of state wide note. Just six years later Binghamton beat Berwick- they were of note right? YEs it was a Bing combined team - but it was only six yrs later.. Bottom line is many coaches across the state witnessed this team back then and the best team in section 3 said that UE was at least 4 touchdowns better. Would have won the state championship by at least 4-5 touchdowns. Vestal and Ithaca may have been the second and third best teams in the state. Tiger Bob- you always find a away to hype up your 95 team- it was a good team but not even close to the caliber of one of the best team's ever assembled in NY history.

facts-

UE 79 = Best large school team in Broome county history team against their competition- throttled everyone except Vestal- that was in a monsoon which slowed down the game.

UE 79 - best team UE team ever? - you cannot compare today's game with a game played 31 yrs ago. Do I think if we had a time machine and brought back UE 09 to play agasint UE79- I think UE 79 would win but it would have been a tough match. Different game can't compare the two. Do I think if you brought the UE 79 team into the future and gave them the same conditioning and workouts as the UE 09 team had- UE 79 would win without a doubt. JOrdan Thomas best player on field and then the next 12 are UE 79 players.

UE 79 agasint UE 89? UE 79 would have a hard time tackling Jarvis SHields- I can tell you that.

Guest Guest
facts-

UE 79 = Best large school team in Broome county history team against their competition- throttled everyone except Vestal- that was in a monsoon which slowed down the game.

UE 79 - best team UE team ever? - you cannot compare today's game with a game played 31 yrs ago. Do I think if we had a time machine and brought back UE 09 to play agasint UE79- I think UE 79 would win but it would have been a tough match. Different game can't compare the two. Do I think if you brought the UE 79 team into the future and gave them the same conditioning and workouts as the UE 09 team had- UE 79 would win without a doubt. JOrdan Thomas best player on field and then the next 12 are UE 79 players.

UE 79 agasint UE 89? UE 79 would have a hard time tackling Jarvis SHields- I can tell you that.

You have got to be kidding? The 09 team against the 79 team? Jordan Thomas would run and hide. These guys would smash him. The whole 09 team couldn't wash the 79 teams jocks!!!

Guest Romeo
JC record in that era

1975 8-1

1976 7-2

1977 8-1

1978 6-3

1979 6-2-1

1980 9-1

1981 10-0

1982 10-0

1983 9-1

JC was good back then. I remember U.E. pounding them 48-12 with Koban throwing two long td strikes to Bucci who was too fast for the Jc secondary to cover.

Guest Guest

Did you really just say North had 420 kids in a graduating class?? Maybe Central, but not North. North graduated about 100-150 kids back then. I know because I went to North back then.

Guest Guest

And who would in their right mind compare U-E '09 to any other U-E team? This team didn't even rank Top 20 in U-E history. '95, '00, '06 and '07 STOMP '79 into the ground. Maybe even '04 U-E. ''79 is all hype.

Guest Guest
And who would in their right mind compare U-E '09 to any other U-E team? This team didn't even rank Top 20 in U-E history. '95, '00, '06 and '07 STOMP '79 into the ground. Maybe even '04 U-E. ''79 is all hype.

so ok you dont include the other greatest UE team- "UE 89" who beat up on everyone- Won a regional which would be considered a state quarter final now against Monroe Woodbury 56-13.... UE 79 was not hype-

In order

UE 79

UE 89

UE 95

Guest Armie
so ok you dont include the other greatest UE team- "UE 89" who beat up on everyone- Won a regional which would be considered a state quarter final now against Monroe Woodbury 56-13.... UE 79 was not hype-

In order

UE 79

UE 89

UE 95

U.E. 79 would have done to U.E. 95 the same thing Jamestown did.

Guest Guest

'89 U-E better than '79, too. '79 all hype. 8-0 against no one. State Rankings mean nothing!!!! Especially 30 years ago with no information flow and no internet. It was all hearsay. HYPE!!!!

Guest Guest
They said the best Syracuse teams could not stay withing 4 tds of this juggernaut.

Well, I guess that settles it then. If a coach said that then the debate is over.

Next topic.

Guest Cody Mackiln
Well, I guess that settles it then. If a coach said that then the debate is over.

Next topic.

Divsion 1 scholarships and only 1-2 starters out of the bunch, REALLY?

the rest were all waisted on mythical athletes that had a good agent (Angeline)

getting them into college, which he was real good at.

There is some real truth in the fact that UE had Two and possible playing in the NFL

Tatko was not one of them, but Isaiah Kacyvenski , Joe Mott and maybe Art Jones will make it

NONE of these Division ! athletes played on the '79 team, Playing at BHS and on the 85 Team

I have to admit that UE has had some real powerhouse teams, 79' WAS NOT the best of them, nor were

they the best assembled athletes by any stretch of the imagination.

how many times does it have to be reitterated that you did not play anyone outside the conference or state

for that matter.

I have NOTICE that every other state championship calibre team from the area has EXCEPT 79'!!!!!!!

thats correct.......the proof is in the press. EVERY AREA CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM HAS PLAYED SCHOOLS OUT STATE AND CONFERENCE/COUNTY

*********************EXCEPT THE 1979 UE TIGERS**************************************

ALL OTHER UE STATE CHAMPION TEAMS HAVE

AND OF COURSE THE 1985 PATRIOTS

THE CHENANGO FORKS BLUE DEVILS

THE VESTAL GOLDEN BEARS 1975 AND 2000(?)

LETS FACE THE FACTS YOU GUYS WERE GOOD,NO DOUBT, BUT FAR FROM THE BEST......!!!!!!!!!!

how many times does it have to be reitterated that you did not play anyone outside the conference or state

for that matter.

I have NOTICE that every other state championship calibre team from the area has EXCEPT 79'!!!!!!!

thats correct.......the proof is in the press. EVERY AREA CHAMPIONSHIP TEAM HAS PLAYED SCHOOLS OUT STATE AND CONFERENCE/COUNTY

*********************EXCEPT THE 1979 UE TIGERS**************************************

LETS FACE THE FACTS YOU GUYS WERE GOOD,NO DOUBT, BUT FAR FROM THE BEST......!!!!!!!!!!

Humm…If my geography is correct Sweet Home (Buffalo) and Wagner (Staten Island) were out of the conference/county. Buffalo is that city in Western New York where it snows a lot and is situated in Erie County. Staten Island is part of the New York City Metropolitan Area (also known as Richmond County). Now granted we played them at Ty Cobb field so we did not leave the county to play them. I’m sure that is what you meant by not playing anyone outside the “conference/county”:-) As stated in an earlier post both teams were power teams in their conferences at one time or another. Unfortunately, we hit them in down years. That’s the way the cards were dealt. From what I read in another post Berwick (a past national power and over ranked in 1985) were also beaten by Binghamton in a down year.

Guest Tiger Bob refuter
Divsion 1 scholarships and only 1-2 starters out of the bunch, REALLY?

the rest were all waisted on mythical athletes that had a good agent (Angeline)

getting them into college, which he was real good at.

There is some real truth in the fact that UE had Two and possible playing in the NFL

Tatko was not one of them, but Isaiah Kacyvenski , Joe Mott and maybe Art Jones will make it

NONE of these Division ! athletes played on the '79 team, Playing at BHS and on the 85 Team

I have to admit that UE has had some real powerhouse teams, 79' WAS NOT the best of them, nor were

they the best assembled athletes by any stretch of the imagination.

for that matter.

Tatko made it to the final cut in the NFL. Villanti started at Syracuse. Koban started at Syracuse.

Marsh started at Colgate. 4 others went to Buffalo, I don't know how many of them started. Beddoe went to Rurgers. Newfrock went to Delaware. No other school can approach that from one graduating class. Binghamton 85 had zero starters in D1.

Guest Guest

I'm convinced if Fran Angeline coached that '85 BHS team he would have found D1 scholarships for as many players as he did for the '79 team. Granted, Rice, Coleman and Middlebrooks played basketball, but there were guys on that team that should have done better for themselves. I kind of blame Deinhart for not doing better by these kids. He was a fairly new coach at the time and I don't think had the connections or was privy to the scholly game. Guys like Mack and Marshall most definitely had D1 talent, but didn't have their heads screwed on straight.

I'm just not buying the UE had more D1 scholarships argument. It's impressive, but there's more to the story.

Guest Cody Mackiln
Tatko made it to the final cut in the NFL. Villanti started at Syracuse. Koban started at Syracuse.

Marsh started at Colgate. 4 others went to Buffalo, I don't know how many of them started. Beddoe went to Rurgers. Newfrock went to Delaware. No other school can approach that from one graduating class. Binghamton 85 had zero starters in D1.

Dude, GOD rest his soul but seriously as mentioned before and verified ,he DID NOT PLAY. he was "CUT".

Hence the credit being given to Mott, Kacyvenski. who DID play

Koban did start, he was good, Marsh I still did not find any proof of him or Villanti starting, and i looked. so if you have it show it

Beddoe did not start

Newfrock did not start

there must be a reason why some of you keep harping on this Div 1 thing, 2-3/10 started and that is not impressive

And another thing is that

Deinhardt was only in his second year and won a state championship, how long did it take Fran REALLY how long?

and get this DELETED straight BUFFALO,dinkist, was a Division III school back then, not division 1

i should know because was I recruited by them in 1986

Dude, GOD rest his soul but seriously as mentioned before and verified ,he DID NOT PLAY. he was "CUT".

Hence the credit being given to Mott, Kacyvenski. who DID play

Koban did start, he was good, Marsh I still did not find any proof of him or Villanti starting, and i looked. so if you have it show it

Beddoe did not start

Newfrock did not start

there must be a reason why some of you keep harping on this Div 1 thing, 2-3/10 started and that is not impressive

And another thing is that

Deinhardt was only in his second year and won a state championship, how long did it take Fran REALLY how long?

and get thisDELETED straight BUFFALO,dinkist, was a Division III school back then, not division 1

i should know because was I recruited by them in 1986

UB (University of Buffalo) was Division 3 from 1977 until I think 1990 before they went D1AA then later to D1A. UB had a couple of decent D3 teams in the early 80's. However, with the exception of one good year in 1996 they did not have much success in D1 until 2 years ago under coach Turner Gill.

There were 2 starters at UB from the '79 team.

Jim Newfrock was a 3 year starter for University of Deleware under coach Tubby Raymond

Guest Guest

I can 100% guarantee you that the ONLY reason so many players got D1 scholarships from U-E in the "old days" was because Fran was an excellent salesman and agent. So many of those players were over-hyped, and the proof was when they got to the next level and did NOTHING. VERY FEW actually did anything with those scholarships. Bobby Cole? Mike Crounse? CHOKE jobs at Syracuse and Notre Dame respectively. Lou Holtz said he would NEVER RECRUIT A U-E KID AGAIN after the debacle with Crounse. You can personally thank Fran for those scholarships. Had Fran coached through 2000 you would have seen even more D1 scholarships given to U-E kids, because Guccia did NOTHING to get his kids recruited. He could have cared less about his players, and I couldn't emphasize that enough. He barely even knew his kids' names and gave not one extra minute of his time for them.

1979 was not the best U-E team ever. Close. But not the best. Put up some impressive scores against other over-hyped teams who played and beat nobody of note. State rankings mean nothing, especially back then when there was an extreme lack of information flow and technology to get a good look and feel for who was the true power teams. It was all ranked on hearsay. The rankings are extremely inaccurate now. Imagine how innacurate they were back then.

I would say '89, '95, '00, '79 in that order. '89 went undefeated and crushed Monroe Woodbury in a Regional Bowl. '95 and '00 are the only teams in U-E history to go 10-0 after an impressive regular season and sectional playoff schedule. Their losses came in the state playoffs (what else is new).

I can 100% guarantee you that the ONLY reason so many players got D1 scholarships from U-E in the "old days" was because Fran was an excellent salesman and agent. So many of those players were over-hyped, and the proof was when they got to the next level and did NOTHING. VERY FEW actually did anything with those scholarships. Bobby Cole? Mike Crounse? CHOKE jobs at Syracuse and Notre Dame respectively. Lou Holtz said he would NEVER RECRUIT A U-E KID AGAIN after the debacle with Crounse. You can personally thank Fran for those scholarships. Had Fran coached through 2000 you would have seen even more D1 scholarships given to U-E kids, because Guccia did NOTHING to get his kids recruited. He could have cared less about his players, and I couldn't emphasize that enough. He barely even knew his kids' names and gave not one extra minute of his time for them.

1979 was not the best U-E team ever. Close. But not the best. Put up some impressive scores against other over-hyped teams who played and beat nobody of note. State rankings mean nothing, especially back then when there was an extreme lack of information flow and technology to get a good look and feel for who was the true power teams. It was all ranked on hearsay. The rankings are extremely inaccurate now. Imagine how innacurate they were back then.

I would say '89, '95, '00, '79 in that order. '89 went undefeated and crushed Monroe Woodbury in a Regional Bowl. '95 and '00 are the only teams in U-E history to go 10-0 after an impressive regular season and sectional playoff schedule. Their losses came in the state playoffs (what else is new).

Your information is flawed. Rob Cole went to Syracuse on a wwrestling scholarship. Mike Crounse was number one on the depth charts to start in his senior season. Crounse was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he caught a bullet that was not meant for him. it shattered his knee and ended his Notre dame career. I seriously doubt if Lou Holtz said what you claimed. Your opinion has lost credibility. Koban was a better QB then on any of the other teams you mentioned. U.E. 79 is still the best.

Guest Dynasty-80
Your information is flawed. Rob Cole went to Syracuse on a wrestling scholarship. Mike Crounse was number one on the depth charts to start in his senior season. Crounse was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he caught a bullet that was not meant for him. it shattered his knee and ended his Notre dame career. I seriously doubt if Lou Holtz said what you claimed. Your opinion has lost credibility. Koban was a better QB then on any of the other teams you mentioned. U.E. 79 is still the best.

played against both of those guys, Cole was an OK ball player, Crounse was a joke and most definately all hype,I remember how he so hyped up in 1984-1985, played us and got embarrased. Cole was tough, and could have played at Colgate or something. Crounse at ND ......really was a joke.

and FYI I thought Tommy Pasqual was as good as Koban as well as Chris Watters,

ALSO could someone please post the schedule from 79 and the scores, i wanna see who you played and more importantly what was their record when you played them. :huh:

Guest Guest
played against both of those guys, Cole was an OK ball player, Crounse was a joke and most definately all hype,I remember how he so hyped up in 1984-1985, played us and got embarrased. Cole was tough, and could have played at Colgate or something. Crounse at ND ......really was a joke.

and FYI I thought Tommy Pasqual was as good as Koban as well as Chris Watters,

ALSO could someone please post the schedule from 79 and the scores, i wanna see who you played and more importantly what was their record when you played them. :huh:

LOL Pasquale could not carry the jocks of Waters or Koban. That is the stupidist thing I have read on this debate.

Pasquale was not in their league with speed or arm.

Guest dynasty-80
I'm convinced if Fran Angeline coached that '85 BHS team he would have found D1 scholarships for as many players as he did for the '79 team. Granted, Rice, Coleman and Middlebrooks played basketball, but there were guys on that team that should have done better for themselves. I kind of blame Deinhart for not doing better by these kids. He was a fairly new coach at the time and I don't think had the connections or was privy to the scholly game. Guys like Mack and Marshall most definitely had D1 talent, but didn't have their heads screwed on straight.

I'm just not buying the UE had more D1 scholarships argument. It's impressive, but there's more to the story.

I dont know why he didn't as well, maybe your're right about having the connection, Binghamton was not good at getting athletes in better schools, it is not entirely Deinhardt's fault, the preceeding coach was more to blame. Also UE had more of a prided tradition to the game of football, it kept archives and records of past performances, so when a incoming player sees this it really makes them feel like a part of something. make them want to do better than the best team before them. this is the reason why UE had more championship teams than BHS.

At Bighamton during the 1983-1986, the sole headline was King Rice and then Rick Coleman. this was a major set up and let down for the other incoming athletes because Coleman was good got good press. But when other athletes were playing great and and made big plays the press and school still gave the majority of credit to those two. Many people don't know that it brought some resentment years after especially when King didn't uphold to all that hype at UNC. Some of those athletes still hold a little resentment from those years, you can thank John Fox and Coach Nanni for that and even Deinhardt to some extent. The younger kids were expecting atleast someone to go pro after all the hype, it never happened and i'm not talking about playing over seas. Alot of misguided and overwhelming credit was given to two main athletes with one only one (Coleman) being a main cog to the success at BHS. But while i'm on the topic let me give some to those who played on the 85' squad that made a huge impact that year 1985-1986.

Mark Pompeii, the Regulski brothers, Dale spencer (baseball too), Bill Diamontokos, Mark Olmstead (Basketball too), Mike Scott, Gene McCants( track too), Scott Gerdis,(baseball too), Matt Fiato (Hockey too).

Guest Guest
Your information is flawed. Rob Cole went to Syracuse on a wwrestling scholarship. Mike Crounse was number one on the depth charts to start in his senior season. Crounse was in the wrong place at the wrong time when he caught a bullet that was not meant for him. it shattered his knee and ended his Notre dame career. I seriously doubt if Lou Holtz said what you claimed. Your opinion has lost credibility. Koban was a better QB then on any of the other teams you mentioned. U.E. 79 is still the best.

That's ok because you doubt anything negative that's said about your precious Tigers. Especially from when it was "your time" and didn't even play the game.

Archived