1979 UE Football or 1985 BHS Football Team?

Guest Guest

• Replies 486
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Guest

Thank you for making these great youtube video that will last forever on the internet. We need to take it a step further and try to retrieve some old game films from the 79 season. U.E. had M.E. down 51-0 at the half. M.E. was a good team back then with graduating classes in the 400 range.

No other team had so many ALL STAC and All State players as that team. 1979 was truly the greatest collection of talent ever assembled in New York State football history.

Guest Guest
My lord, you really are hurting for a life aren't you?

This is your and your team's theme song

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eoy91sYdQPE...e=youtube_gdata

Living in a mythical, hyped-up past. You guys were good and won some games. BFD! There have been plenty of teams after you who've done the same and against worthy competition!!!! The teams of today would crush you, half the graduating class and all. Your lanky goof balls would get man handled in today's game.

Guest Guest

I'm not sold that the 79 UE team was the best team ever to come out of the area - but they are surely in the top 5.

The talent level in the area is way down - which is largely due to the #s being down at nearly every school in STAC. To say today's teams would "crush" teams of the 70s-80s era is laughable at best.

The work ethic of kids today is a joke - not to mention the heart, skill level, and overall toughness.

I would bet a grand that the 79 UE team or the 85 BHS could have walked on the field in 1999 or 2005 and (20 years after) and beaten the crap out of the current HS squad put out that year by either school.

With sincere apologies to the kids at Chenango Forks - whose success is built on the same work ethic, heart, and toughness displayed by teams like UE 79 and BHS 85 - overall the Football in this area is no where near what it was back then. I don't care that the kids are 10-15 lbs bigger now-a-days.

Guest Guest
I'm not sold that the 79 UE team was the best team ever to come out of the area - but they are surely in the top 5.

The talent level in the area is way down - which is largely due to the #s being down at nearly every school in STAC. To say today's teams would "crush" teams of the 70s-80s era is laughable at best.

The work ethic of kids today is a joke - not to mention the heart, skill level, and overall toughness.

I would bet a grand that the 79 UE team or the 85 BHS could have walked on the field in 1999 or 2005 and (20 years after) and beaten the crap out of the current HS squad put out that year by either school.

With sincere apologies to the kids at Chenango Forks - whose success is built on the same work ethic, heart, and toughness displayed by teams like UE 79 and BHS 85 - overall the Football in this area is no where near what it was back then. I don't care that the kids are 10-15 lbs bigger now-a-days.

I do not know what people see- but the UE team in 79 looks pretty big for me. UE 79 and UE 89 would trounce any other UE team after that. No comparison. UE 95 maybe a tough game. UE 79 was loaded-- 26 points on defense. people said that they played nobody but ITahca and Vestal were state powerhouses back then too. UE - Ithaca and Vestal could compete with any team at the state level from the 60's through the 80's thats a fact. THat time period was this areas glory yearts in all aspects..

Guest Guest
Living in a mythical, hyped-up past. You guys were good and won some games. BFD! There have been plenty of teams after you who've done the same and against worthy competition!!!! The teams of today would crush you, half the graduating class and all. Your lanky goof balls would get man handled in today's game.

Ithaca, Vestal, and EFA were worthy competition and considered state powerhouses-- those teams would compete wit hthe section 3AA winner right now. UE 79 pummelled them. Area fottball was much better back then at the large school level. UE 79 would destroy UE 09. Jordan Thoams would be the best palyer on the field but after that it is UE 79 for the next 10 players.

I do not know what people see- but the UE team in 79 looks pretty big for me. UE 79 and UE 89 would trounce any other UE team after that. No comparison. UE 95 maybe a tough game. UE 79 was loaded-- 26 points on defense. people said that they played nobody but ITahca and Vestal were state powerhouses back then too. UE - Ithaca and Vestal could compete with any team at the state level from the 60's through the 80's thats a fact. THat time period was this areas glory yearts in all aspects..

Of course they were big. They had starters Hess, Villanti and Tatko all around 6 feet four. Koban the QB was over 6 foot compared to the shorter U.E. quarterbacks in recent years. Larry Angeline was as solid as they come at nose tackle, he was extremely strong and fundamentally the best.

Gary Beddoe was about 6 feet one and that was good size for a receiver. Vince Paniccia at linebacker was 6 feet 2 and 215 pounds at linebacker.

These guys would have crushed the U.E. teams in the 90s and last decade.

Guest Guest
Of course they were big. They had starters Hess, Villanti and Tatko all around 6 feet four. Koban the QB was over 6 foot compared to the shorter U.E. quarterbacks in recent years. Larry Angeline was as solid as they come at nose tackle, he was extremely strong and fundamentally the best.

Gary Beddoe was about 6 feet one and that was good size for a receiver. Vince Paniccia at linebacker was 6 feet 2 and 215 pounds at linebacker.

These guys would have crushed the U.E. teams in the 90s and last decade.

UE 89 was no joke either. More of an offensive juggernaut where UE 79 was both a offensive and defensive powerhouse based team. SHields, Wilson, Waters, Prussia, Norris were no joke back in 89 - especially SHields-

Guest Guest

Look at the pictures. None of those players were as big and bad as you keep saying. Lanky and scrawny maybe. Wow, apparently being 6'4" makes you big and strong? Please. They'd get absolutely destroyed by the lines of today.

Guest Guest

None of those players were benching over 300 lbs. on those teams. None of those players were even benching. None of them were squatting. None of them were in the weight room, and you can tell just by looking at the pictures. Skinny, scrawny, weak. Leave your "toughness" act at home, too. The kids out there on the field are just as tough as back then. I agree that today's youth is not like that of yesterday, and I think that actually speaks MORE of the kids who are grinding it out out there. Even with all of the other entertainment opportunities, the kids out there have chosen to bleed and sweat it out on the gridiron. I'm almost willing to bet that a lot of todays players have MORE heart and passion for the game than those back then.

Guest Guest
Look at the pictures. None of those players were as big and bad as you keep saying. Lanky and scrawny maybe. Wow, apparently being 6'4" makes you big and strong? Please. They'd get absolutely destroyed by the lines of today.

I don’t know where this “lines of today” crap comes from. I go to several AA games every year and the “lines of today” are small compared to some of the lines in the early 70’s when enrollments were up.

I’m not addressing any of this UE Tig-ger stuff, can you people wait until Fall and take a break from this useless discussion.

Guest Guest
None of those players were benching over 300 lbs. on those teams. None of those players were even benching. None of them were squatting. None of them were in the weight room, and you can tell just by looking at the pictures. Skinny, scrawny, weak. Leave your "toughness" act at home, too. The kids out there on the field are just as tough as back then. I agree that today's youth is not like that of yesterday, and I think that actually speaks MORE of the kids who are grinding it out out there. Even with all of the other entertainment opportunities, the kids out there have chosen to bleed and sweat it out on the gridiron. I'm almost willing to bet that a lot of todays players have MORE heart and passion for the game than those back then.

Are you serious ? It wasn't like 79 was that long ago. There were at least 5 guys on that team benching 300 - probably 10.

Where do you get your info kid ? Your posts are a joke ...

Guest maddog
Are you serious ? It wasn't like 79 was that long ago. There were at least 5 guys on that team benching 300 - probably 10.

Where do you get your info kid ? Your posts are a joke ...

WOW, this is a interresting topic, I dont think that Either team is the greatest, other schools and classes could be considered for that as well. I'm from the area and know the football history there pretty well as i played at North high in 1980. That 79 UE team was very good and beat us soundly, however there were not as opposing as they would have you think. Hey guys don't confuse height and shoulder pads with real muscular development. OK, and no you guys were not benching 300 pounds hardly anyone was in those days, not in highschool. I think that the 85 BHS team was far more athletic and had an arsonal of weapons to choose from on offense. I agree with some of the other post. BHS was way too fast for you guys. Defense would have been interesting. However i believe there were other UE teams that would have been right in the mix namely the 89 and 2000 teams.I think that the 75 Vestal team was also a major contender.

Guest Guest
WOW, this is a interresting topic, I dont think that Either team is the greatest, other schools and classes could be considered for that as well. I'm from the area and know the football history there pretty well as i played at North high in 1980. That 79 UE team was very good and beat us soundly, however there were not as opposing as they would have you think. Hey guys don't confuse height and shoulder pads with real muscular development. OK, and no you guys were not benching 300 pounds hardly anyone was in those days, not in highschool. I think that the 85 BHS team was far more athletic and had an arsonal of weapons to choose from on offense. I agree with some of the other post. BHS was way too fast for you guys. Defense would have been interesting. However i believe there were other UE teams that would have been right in the mix namely the 89 and 2000 teams.I think that the 75 Vestal team was also a major contender.

"beat North High soundly in 79? IF 66-13 is soundly then what is considred an a.. whipping? 40 by half..Look both teams were really really good and could beat anyone or contest any team in the state at the large school level during that time period. THat is not the case anymore.

"beat North High soundly in 79? IF 66-13 is soundly then what is considred an a.. whipping? 40 by half..Look both teams were really really good and could beat anyone or contest any team in the state at the large school level during that time period. THat is not the case anymore.

Tim or Mike Connelly was the QB for North then weren't they?

Guest Guest
1979 was truly the greatest collection of talent ever assembled in New York State football history.

Broome County History, maybe, but not NYS history. I still think the '85 BHS squad would have been too much for you guys, but we'll never know. It's just one of those classic debates. Was Ty Cobb a better hitter than Pete Rose? Could Ali have beaten Joe Luis? It just makes for great debate. Nothing wrong with that.

Guest cody macklin
damn thing? this is the dumbest reply ever. All binghamton 85 fans just accept your second place status gracefully as their is no comparison. being the second best team ever in an area i extremely commendable.

Ed Koban- 5th all time in punt returns for Syracuse isnt too shabby

Ken Tatko Wake Forest practice squad for an NFL team ( [R.I.P] but the nfl didnt have practice squads then, also i researched this he never made the team)

Steve Vallenti started for Syracuse

Tim Marsh Colgate played very well-[EXCUSE ME but what the hell does that mean, according to what source]

and those guys played on the same team and there are four more d1 players i didnt even mention. name one bhs 85 player that accomplished more?

I came about this interesting article about Chenango Forks football written by John Fox back in 2004. http://www.forksfootball.com/2004/foxonforks.htm . It talks about Forks possibly winning 4 straight championships in a row, quite an accomplishment in any era and a hats off to them for that. He also made this statement in the article:

“It would be senseless to try comparing teams of different eras, different classification, and resultantly different schedules.

Broome County's two greatest of the preceding quarter-century were arguably Binghamton High's 1985 squad (10-0) with King Rice and Rick Coleman running wild, and Union-Endicott's balanced 1979 juggernaut (9-0). “

I wonder if he save the best for last with that statement :)

Back in 1979 you would have been hard pressed (no pun intended) to find an “athletic” high school football player that benched 300 lbs. They would have been an anomaly but I am sure some were out there. Like I said in an earlier thread you could not use your arms to block. You did not need to bench 300 lbs to block like you do today. It was all about firing off the ball and using quick feet to get position and keep your feet moving. A “scrawny” 200lb offensive lineman most likely is not going to blow out that mythical 280lb D-lineman that bench presses 400 lbs BUT with proper position and technique he could seal the hole for that split second required for Marsh or Norris to blast through the hole. And that was common in our games.

Today’s players are much stronger and larger than they were in 1979. However, It may have been difficult for some of these big strong guys to make it through the same rigorous practice routine that we experienced back then. Our Race Horse offense would grind the big guys down by the third quarter. We were quick, we were fit, and we were disciplined. And yes we would have the ball a lot because our defense was that good.

I like the debate.

Guest historian
I came about this interesting article about Chenango Forks football written by John Fox back in 2004. http://www.forksfootball.com/2004/foxonforks.htm . It talks about Forks possibly winning 4 straight championships in a row, quite an accomplishment in any era and a hats off to them for that. He also made this statement in the article:

“It would be senseless to try comparing teams of different eras, different classification, and resultantly different schedules.

Broome County's two greatest of the preceding quarter-century were arguably Binghamton High's 1985 squad (10-0) with King Rice and Rick Coleman running wild, and Union-Endicott's balanced 1979 juggernaut (9-0). “

I wonder if he save the best for last with that statement :)

Back in 1979 you would have been hard pressed (no pun intended) to find an “athletic” high school football player that benched 300 lbs. They would have been an anomaly but I am sure some were out there. Like I said in an earlier thread you could not use your arms to block. You did not need to bench 300 lbs to block like you do today. It was all about firing off the ball and using quick feet to get position and keep your feet moving. A “scrawny” 200lb offensive lineman most likely is not going to blow out that mythical 280lb D-lineman that bench presses 400 lbs BUT with proper position and technique he could seal the hole for that split second required for Marsh or Norris to blast through the hole. And that was common in our games.

Today’s players are much stronger and larger than they were in 1979. However, It may have been difficult for some of these big strong guys to make it through the same rigorous practice routine that we experienced back then. Our Race Horse offense would grind the big guys down by the third quarter. We were quick, we were fit, and we were disciplined. And yes we would have the ball a lot because our defense was that good.

I like the debate.

What good did the conditioning and race horse offense do the 79 team? In all the games except the mudbowl between Vestal, U.E. had its second team in the game by the third period.

Guest Guest
What good did the conditioning and race horse offense do the 79 team? In all the games except the mudbowl between Vestal, U.E. had its second team in the game by the third period.

If you watch that wonderfull youtube video from 1979 you will notice an interesting fact. Chenango Forks was defeated by North that year 22-20. Chenago Forks was ranked 10th in the state in the small school poll.

U.E. was up on North by 40 points at the half befotre Fran called the dogs off. In Fran's book he talks about a coach from the Syacuse area wh saw U.E. and the number two ranked team in the state from Syracuse.

They said the best Syracuse teams could not stay withing 4 tds of this juggernaut.

Guest Guest
I think back in the early 80's under the coaching of Chuck Gottfried, JC lost like 2-3 games in a 5 year span.

JC record in that era

1975 8-1

1976 7-2

1977 8-1

1978 6-3

1979 6-2-1

1980 9-1

1981 10-0

1982 10-0

1983 9-1

Archived