Best boys soccer players ever from Section IV

Guest Guest-hal

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats from the third division Dutch team he washed out with last season. this year he had been at lower levels in England and still only reserve team member there as well just like this program lists him as. Its a shame he didn't try to use his talents to get a free college education instead of trying for this..just my opinion

• 3 weeks later...

Alex whoever from EFA is just a 10th grader...talk to us after his career is over to see how well he does. Plus he's not a National team Pool player and Price, VanGorder and Phoummany all were in addition all three were All-Americans in high school and in college, so don't tell us Alex whoever is even close to them....that's a joke.

Being a National team ODP player in HS means everything. You obviously have no idea of what time takes to be a great player, and you probably think HS ball is like the World Cup.

Obviously you cant read since you just agreed with me in your normal argumentative moronic way

• 2 weeks later...

You are thinking of the Skonecki brothers Miek and Brendan I think, they were good but like many other good players I don't believe they get into this list.

As for Tyree and Riley being better than Skinner and Dinkins not a chance and thats more a statement on physical ability than anything else. Riley is the best player out of them hands down, he has more skill and ability than the other three but Dinkins was possibly the best pure athlete on a local soccer field ever. Skinner and Tyree were pretty much even which would make the wild card Dinkins ability. He was recruited for D1 Track and Basketball, was HS All-American in soccer because he was the only thing SV had and that team won a Sectional title on his back. If he only could have kept his head on straight he would probably be atop the list.

What are you talking about? Riley wasn't even a top player on Herkimer's team when Mike S. played on Herk. with Riley. The two All-American's from that team where Skonieky and I believe his name was Pease, the other All-American who was the player of the year.

Alex whoever from EFA is just a 10th grader...talk to us after his career is over to see how well he does. Plus he's not a National team Pool player and Price, VanGorder and Phoummany all were in addition all three were All-Americans in high school and in college, so don't tell us Alex whoever is even close to them....that's a joke.

Being a National team ODP player in HS means everything. You obviously have no idea of what time takes to be a great player, and you probably think HS ball is like the World Cup.

Being a National team ODP player in HS means everything. I wouldn't put too much stock in ODP - it may be a better indication of who you know and not how good you are. It's a well known fact that ODP really stands for Olympic Development Politics. I'm sure they get it right sometimes but don't hang your hat on it.

Being a National team ODP player in HS means everything. I wouldn't put too much stock in ODP - it may be a better indication of who you know and not how good you are. It's a well known fact that ODP really stands for Olympic Development Politics. I'm sure they get it right sometimes but don't hang your hat on it.

Olympic developement politics? lets think about this. every kid there is a star at home and their parents think there the greatest thing in 20 years. Quite obviously when little Joey gets cut its all politics.

I see Arbes and Mike Rood from SV made All State. Rood is only a sophomore....let's keep an eye on him!

Hes not even a stud in the premier league against kids his own age, get real its high school soccer

Guest Dicktos

Here are the top 10 best soccer players in sec iv history right here

10) David Ellis JC '09

9) Mitch Kukol JC '09

8) Tj Bedosky JC '09

7) Dom Dellos JC '09

6) HAAANS JC "09-Present

5) Timmy songengjrnvnerbun JC '09

4) Matt Huggler JC '09

3) Tom Komar JC '09

2) Jason Toner JC '10

1) Bill Arno

Guest AHoleManager

10) David Ellis JC '09

9) Mitch Kukol JC '09

8) Tj Bedosky JC '09

7) Dom Dellos JC '09

6) HAAANS JC "09-Present

4) Matt Huggler JC '09

3) Tom Komar JC '09

2) Jason Toner JC '10

1) Bill Arno

Forgot to mention

Persaud, Matyas, Tokos, Munoz, Berry

10) David Ellis JC '09

9) Mitch Kukol JC '09

8) Tj Bedosky JC '09

7) Dom Dellos JC '09

6) HAAANS JC "09-Present

4) Matt Huggler JC '09

3) Tom Komar JC '09

2) Jason Toner JC '10

1) Bill Arno

LOL! Another moronic and retarded JC alumni posting gibberish and bs

All time greatest from Section 4 are listed below....perhaps add 2-3 outstanding players from the past 10 years to this list

GK- Stenta CV/BU; Cervantes Vest/Clemson; Tronkowski ME/Clarkson; Manning UE/Plattsburgh

Def- Pepe Aragon Bing/Herk/Bowling Green; Abi Chavez UE/BU; Chris Riley UE/Herk/Wright St; Mike Dougherty Vest/Colgate; Joe Vrablic Vest/BU; Pat Skinner SV/BU; Jim Konuito Bing/Plattsburgh SUNYAC POY; Brent Maybee Vest/Herk/Clarkson; Justin Leskow UE/BU;

Mids- Mike Austin Oneonta/WVU; Sean Van Gorder ME/Rochester; Jay Robinson UE/Herk/WVU; Kevin Sax Vest/Notre Dame; Pat Price Vest/Cornell; Apia Apawa Ithaca/Oneonta; Jon Phoumonny EFA/StBona; Don Robbins Vest/Colgate; Nate Horton UE/Herk/E Carolina; Tommy Moon ME/BU; Aaron Zandy UE/StBona/UMass; Scott DePersis JC/LeMoyne/Lynn; Eric Riddleberger Owe/Clemson;

Attack- Andy Davis Bing/Herk/Evansville; Orest Grechka Owe/Hartwick; Matt Tanzini Vest/Herk/WVU; Will McCarthy Oneonta/Hartwick; Ed Opkihru Vest/Buffalo; Mike Gianetti Vest/USMA; Teddy Hudock UE/Buffalo; Dani Brkovic JC/???; Jay Demtrak Bing/Ves/BU; Kevin Hawley ME/???; Jaret Dinkins SV/???;

This is an excellent list and these are by far and easily the greatest players from Section 4.

Olympic developement politics? lets think about this. every kid there is a star at home and their parents think there the greatest thing in 20 years. Quite obviously when little Joey gets cut its all politics.

No need to comment if you know nothing about it. Come back when you do.

No need to comment if you know nothing about it. Come back when you do.

Ive been through 4 years with two different kids, who the hell are you to tell me I know nothing about it

Ive been through 4 years with two different kids, who the hell are you to tell me I know nothing about it

You're not an authority on the matter unless you're a LICENSED coached that actually has been TRAINED to assess and develop talent. Could there have been a mistake that your kid was cut from the team because he had a bad tryout? Sure...but mistakes aren't made regularly. You have to be more than just a good athlete to play ODP. You have to understand that game as well.

You're not an authority on the matter unless you're a LICENSED coached that actually has been TRAINED to assess and develop talent. Could there have been a mistake that your kid was cut from the team because he had a bad tryout? Sure...but mistakes aren't made regularly. You have to be more than just a good athlete to play ODP. You have to understand that game as well.

1. I am a licensed coach and a former state ODP coach who quit doing it for many reasons.

2. Mistakes are made regularly and in fact on of the biggest mistakes that is made by some coaches is taking athletes over soccer players. I know at least 3+ current members of the State ODP staff who will take an athlete and cut a player with more soccer knowledge. Why?? because they will be able to teach the kid soccer but they aren't going to make the other kids abilities get better. I agree at times its a sound choice and it has worked in the past. The bigger problem is coaches (and I was as guilty of this as others) of picking their own clubs players. Its tough to forget what you know about a kid and be totally objective...in the old days it wasn't shocking to see all Syracuse Blitz players wearing their orange socks all the time to be identified easier by the Blitz coaches to be picked.

3. I quit ODP when I realized how flawed it truly is, the prime motivation for the state doing it is 1 thing, MONEY. Its why they expanded the state pool from 18 to 36+ in younger age groups. Its why they added the classroom sessions a few years back. Even USSF has admitted too many good players have been missed for far too long because they can't afford the cost. Don't try to feed me the BS about the scholarship programs they are not effective. Thats why the USSF went to the development academy (Empire) and the MLS reserve team system. To fix what has been broken for years.

1. I am a licensed coach and a former state ODP coach who quit doing it for many reasons.

2. Mistakes are made regularly and in fact on of the biggest mistakes that is made by some coaches is taking athletes over soccer players. I know at least 3+ current members of the State ODP staff who will take an athlete and cut a player with more soccer knowledge. Why?? because they will be able to teach the kid soccer but they aren't going to make the other kids abilities get better. I agree at times its a sound choice and it has worked in the past. The bigger problem is coaches (and I was as guilty of this as others) of picking their own clubs players. Its tough to forget what you know about a kid and be totally objective...in the old days it wasn't shocking to see all Syracuse Blitz players wearing their orange socks all the time to be identified easier by the Blitz coaches to be picked.

3. I quit ODP when I realized how flawed it truly is, the prime motivation for the state doing it is 1 thing, MONEY. Its why they expanded the state pool from 18 to 36+ in younger age groups. Its why they added the classroom sessions a few years back. Even USSF has admitted too many good players have been missed for far too long because they can't afford the cost. Don't try to feed me the BS about the scholarship programs they are not effective. Thats why the USSF went to the development academy (Empire) and the MLS reserve team system. To fix what has been broken for years.

Bingo! Thank you very much for your input. Favoritism runs rampant and the biggest driving factor is MONEY. I know all about it.

Would you mind explaining what you mean about the scholarship program and the need to start the Empire team? I am unsure what that means and would really like to hear more incite about the inner working of ODP. I commend you for recognizing the selection bias and for stepping out when you saw that it and even your role in that process was problematic . Did you express your feelings about it at the time and was any one listening? You raise the argument that perhaps it would be best not to have coaches that have coached at that age level who are familiar with players from high school or travel teams and who can spot soccer know how as opposed to sheer athleticism. It only makes sense that having coaches without prior knowledge of the players would cut down on selection bias. It just makes you wonder how much better our NYS teams would be and how many more from our immediate areas could have been selected for the national team and how far certain talents may have gone had they not been unfairly cut from a biased selection process.

Would you mind explaining what you mean about the scholarship program and the need to start the Empire team? I am unsure what that means and would really like to hear more incite about the inner working of ODP. I commend you for recognizing the selection bias and for stepping out when you saw that it and even your role in that process was problematic . Did you express your feelings about it at the time and was any one listening? You raise the argument that perhaps it would be best not to have coaches that have coached at that age level who are familiar with players from high school or travel teams and who can spot soccer know how as opposed to sheer athleticism. It only makes sense that having coaches without prior knowledge of the players would cut down on selection bias. It just makes you wonder how much better our NYS teams would be and how many more from our immediate areas could have been selected for the national team and how far certain talents may have gone had they not been unfairly cut from a biased selection process.

1. Many of the coaches over time have spoken about the bias issue and there is no easy answer to it. The fact is the better clubs in general have better coaches, the ones best suited to lead any program like ODP. However when they are given a team (even one from age groups the don't really coach for the club) they still know the players by reputation and living in that area so they are exposed to them all year long. So you see the problem, you want the best players they need the best coaches and the best coaches have vested interest the clubs they work with.

2. To answer about how many more NYS players would have made it farther, not many honestly. We are a very weak soccer state (NYSW that is, NYSE is far stronger). I can truly state I never saw an elite level talent ignored in the selection process, if they were truly superb they weren't ignored its the choices at the borderline that always cause the problems. I will say I do know many top level talents who never were in the process because the money spent would never have been affordable or more importantly would not have given them the results they needed.

1. Many of the coaches over time have spoken about the bias issue and there is no easy answer to it. The fact is the better clubs in general have better coaches, the ones best suited to lead any program like ODP. However when they are given a team (even one from age groups the don't really coach for the club) they still know the players by reputation and living in that area so they are exposed to them all year long. So you see the problem, you want the best players they need the best coaches and the best coaches have vested interest the clubs they work with.

2. To answer about how many more NYS players would have made it farther, not many honestly. We are a very weak soccer state (NYSW that is, NYSE is far stronger). I can truly state I never saw an elite level talent ignored in the selection process, if they were truly superb they weren't ignored its the choices at the borderline that always cause the problems. I will say I do know many top level talents who never were in the process because the money spent would never have been affordable or more importantly would not have given them the results they needed.

OK, to your #2 point, name some elite level talent in the past 30 years that played in ODP and went far in the ODP process (Eastern Regional Team, National Team).

It seems as though part of the problem is extending the number of players from 18 to 36+ in the first tryout period. At least 18 new players make it past the first cut but the coaches have no intention of letting them go any further. The coaches give false hope to these new players all the while knowing that they will keep only their originals. Basically, ODP is a scam to steal the registration money from the new players who never really have a chance to take a spot away from an original player whether they deserve to or not. On the original team, the coaches only play their favorites anyway, which is generally made up of those who they coach in either high school or travel. That in my opinion is how the organization remains weak. Given what I have seen, you can't tell me only the best players are taken each year. I concur. NYS has very weak ODP teams but not because the best players are not good enough. It is weak because some of the best players in the state weren't taken to begin with. Our current National team isn't that great either. Makes you wonder if the same thing doesn't go on with ODP across the country.

Archived