Best boys soccer players ever from Section IV

Guest Guest-hal

To all you parents...sorry, but your kids on 'the new block weren't good enough to make it to ODP apparently. Suck it up. However, Pat Price (Vestal) mid 80s, Sean Van Gorder (ME) early 90s, and Johny Phoummany (JC) 00's, were ODP Eastern Regional National team players that made it very far in the ODP program. Please stop bitchin' about politics. These players were the real deal.

It doesn't seem as though anyone is saying that those 3 aren't the real deal. What others appear to be saying is that there are players who are the real deal as well but for some reason or another were overlooked. The obvious reason is that not many players from sect 4 are ever considered, even though they were deserving players at the time of tryouts because ODP NY West basically sticks to players from Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo. Do you understand? Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo! This is not bitching and griping about politics. As a matter of fact an ODP coach admitted to it (see above). Be happy that your kid made it, but try to understand that others have been unfairly shafted by ODP politics and have been taken for a financial and emotional ride as well. If you can't see this then you and ODP certainly deserve each other!

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You missed the point!

No you missed the point! Of course the ODP coaches are going to look at places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. areas before they look at Binghamton. That is like saying go look at Lompoc,CA, before you look in Los Angeles or San Diego. God you must be some dumb and a small time hick. Move to a big-city, if you want to bitch. The players listed above were the best from Section IV and came from basically nothing. They were skilled, fast, strong, or whatever and were the best and proved it by going very, very far in ODP. Plus they were high school All Americans. Just because you kid who is a solid player and very skilled for this generation, but didn't make the cut for ODP, does not mean its a conspiracy against Binghamton area players. If they are truly great, they will go far.

No you missed the point! Of course the ODP coaches are going to look at places like Buffalo, Rochester, Syracuse, etc. areas before they look at Binghamton. That is like saying go look at Lompoc,CA, before you look in Los Angeles or San Diego. God you must be some dumb and a small time hick. Move to a big-city, if you want to bitch. The players listed above were the best from Section IV and came from basically nothing. They were skilled, fast, strong, or whatever and were the best and proved it by going very, very far in ODP. Plus they were high school All Americans. Just because you kid who is a solid player and very skilled for this generation, but didn't make the cut for ODP, does not mean its a conspiracy against Binghamton area players. If they are truly great, they will go far.

Sounds like rotator cuff guy is back..............

Why? Why should they look at those areas first before Binghamton? There is no reason for it other than the fact that the coaches are from S, R, Buf and pick the kids they already know. That is why others from sect 4 don't stand a chance, even if and when they are better than some of those that they pick. That is the point. How fair is that? For the most part it is favoritism toward players from those areas. It is very difficult for a player from another area to bump a kid that already made it. The bottom line is that if a player is great, whether from hicksville or the big city, he or she should make the cut. However, to the biased ODP coaches, it doesn't matter. They simply take the kids that they know. It is favoritism indigenous to the area for which they coach. Do you understand?

Why? Why should they look at those areas first before Binghamton? There is no reason for it other than the fact that the coaches are from S, R, Buf and pick the kids they already know. That is why others from sect 4 don't stand a chance, even if and when they are better than some of those that they pick. That is the point. How fair is that? For the most part it is favoritism toward players from those areas. It is very difficult for a player from another area to bump a kid that already made it. The bottom line is that if a player is great, whether from hicksville or the big city, he or she should make the cut. However, to the biased ODP coaches, it doesn't matter. They simply take the kids that they know. It is favoritism indigenous to the area for which they coach. Do you understand?

Didnt one of the section 4 coaches from Dryden try to do this with her own players when she was an ODP coach and get herself rousted right out of the program??

Didnt one of the section 4 coaches from Dryden try to do this with her own players when she was an ODP coach and get herself rousted right out of the program??

Case on point. ODP NY West lives and breaths in S, R, B. The coaches from those areas control it and if anyone else comes along and tries, out they go, right? Isn't that the implication here?

To all you parents...sorry, but your kids on 'the new block weren't good enough to make it to ODP apparently. Suck it up. However, Pat Price (Vestal) mid 80s, Sean Van Gorder (ME) early 90s, and Johny Phoummany (JC) 00's, were ODP Eastern Regional National team players that made it very far in the ODP program. Please stop bitchin' about politics. These players were the real deal.

Johnny Phoumanny was an EFA player, not JC. (1996-2000)

The reason some of those larger cities produce more quality player is in part because they exactly what we said...larger cities. The other major aspect of those players/regions is coaching. Think of how many "premier" clubs there are in Syracuse. Syracuse Blitz, Syracuse FC, CNY United. What does Binghamton have? Fusion? That's not a knock on the Fusion club because Marco, Dmintru, Scott are/were good coaches, but the larger communities don't have to deal with the smaller clubs ego's. If you took the best players from Hiawatha, JC's club, Vestal's club, M-E's club, and SRU and trained them with HIGHLY qualified, LICENSED coaches, you'd get a similar result. The problem is (and it's across America), is that the kids are being trained by Dad's and coaches who don't know the game as well as they think they do.

The reason some of those larger cities produce more quality player is in part because they exactly what we said...larger cities. The other major aspect of those players/regions is coaching. Think of how many "premier" clubs there are in Syracuse. Syracuse Blitz, Syracuse FC, CNY United. What does Binghamton have? Fusion? That's not a knock on the Fusion club because Marco, Dmintru, Scott are/were good coaches, but the larger communities don't have to deal with the smaller clubs ego's. If you took the best players from Hiawatha, JC's club, Vestal's club, M-E's club, and SRU and trained them with HIGHLY qualified, LICENSED coaches, you'd get a similar result. The problem is (and it's across America), is that the kids are being trained by Dad's and coaches who don't know the game as well as they think they do.

First, those larger cities don't necessarily produce more talented players. In fact, they produce more players who have talent but aren't necessarily more talented than some players from smaller cities. Again, i doesn't matter how few quality organizations there are in an area. If a very talented player emerges from even a single organization from a smaller town, they should not be overlooked by ODP. And, still, this has very little to do with why very talented players whether from smaller cities or dad-coached organizations aren't recognized and accepted for their talent by the biased ODP organization. I'd rather not mention any names, but I know for a fact that this has happened. Not to worry, just because ODP has its biases and prejudices does not mean the end for a very talented player. His or her talent will speak for itself whether in ODP or not. The shame of this is, however, is that by not taking such individuals on the ODP team because of coaching bias or personal preferences makes for a weaker ODP team. Take a look at the record for ODP West. I'll just bet some of the teams from the smaller organizations can beat them. In fact, it has happened.

First, those larger cities don't necessarily produce more talented players. In fact, they produce more players who have talent but aren't necessarily more talented than some players from smaller cities. Again, i doesn't matter how few quality organizations there are in an area. If a very talented player emerges from even a single organization from a smaller town, they should not be overlooked by ODP. And, still, this has very little to do with why very talented players whether from smaller cities or dad-coached organizations aren't recognized and accepted for their talent by the biased ODP organization. I'd rather not mention any names, but I know for a fact that this has happened. Not to worry, just because ODP has its biases and prejudices does not mean the end for a very talented player. His or her talent will speak for itself whether in ODP or not. The shame of this is, however, is that by not taking such individuals on the ODP team because of coaching bias or personal preferences makes for a weaker ODP team. Take a look at the record for ODP West. I'll just bet some of the teams from the smaller organizations can beat them. In fact, it has happened.

When has ODP ever competed against smaller organizations. I don't think this is possible.

When has ODP ever competed against smaller organizations. I don't think this is possible.

Clarification: Not small teams v. ODP per se, but rather, travel team players who also play on the ODP team. The aforementioned Fusion organization made up of players from across the southern tier, I think, has faired well against many of the organizations that come out of Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo, for example, tournaments and state cup.

I think is was about best players in Section IV and it got off track about ODP, who the best coaches are, etc.

By the way Fusion SUCKS!! Look at the number of players they have lost over the years due to BS, and we have people on here trying to say how great it is, makes me sick. They have a few good boys teams taht won 1-2 state cups, some which have now graduated, and one good girls team back 5-6 years ago that they wound up messin that team up, other then that come on......

As for HS soccer, you are dealt the cards you get, you could have a great qualified coach, but he can only work with what he has, and also HS overall sucks.

ODP has branched out over the past few years, I will agree in years past it was more of a CUSE, ROCH, BuFF thing, but as more coaches from other areas have gotten involved, and over the last few years it has gotten less poilitcal, and also more players from Southern Tier are making pools, outdoor teams, regional pools, etc. The reason there are not more is that some people are living in the past rumors that no kids this way can make it, and that is pruely not true, so there are players around our area who should tryout and don't thus of course we will not have the best there, or even more players from this area make it further in the program cause the best are not there.

Clarification: Not small teams v. ODP per se, but rather, travel team players who also play on the ODP team. The aforementioned Fusion organization made up of players from across the southern tier, I think, has faired well against many of the organizations that come out of Syracuse, Rochester, and Buffalo, for example, tournaments and state cup.

Guest eneurn carcinog

I think is was about best players in Section IV and it got off track about ODP, who the best coaches are, etc.

By the way Fusion SUCKS!! Look at the number of players they have lost over the years due to BS, and we have people on here trying to say how great it is, makes me sick. They have a few good boys teams taht won 1-2 state cups, some which have now graduated, and one good girls team back 5-6 years ago that they wound up messin that team up, other then that come on......

As for HS soccer, you are dealt the cards you get, you could have a great qualified coach, but he can only work with what he has, and also HS overall sucks.

ODP has branched out over the past few years, I will agree in years past it was more of a CUSE, ROCH, BuFF thing, but as more coaches from other areas have gotten involved, and over the last few years it has gotten less poilitcal, and also more players from Southern Tier are making pools, outdoor teams, regional pools, etc. The reason there are not more is that some people are living in the past rumors that no kids this way can make it, and that is pruely not true, so there are players around our area who should tryout and don't thus of course we will not have the best there, or even more players from this area make it further in the program cause the best are not there.

Let's hope so!

Most any of the teams at state cup final 4 could compete with the NYW ODP teams

Guest interested

You only looked at about a 5 to 7 year period way too many great players you missed from now and in the 80's. Gianetti wasn't even as good as his own brother, Brown was a good player but not that far above many others. Griffith shouldnt even be thought of, good player not all time good. I played in the mid 80's, watched for years and now my kids are in HS..here's my thoughts with really only 1 factor most all of these guys were All-Americans or scholarship players who went on to D1 college (a few chose not to) wish I could have seen more of the Vestal/Ithaca guys from the early 80's when they were a state power duo because they both had numerous Div 1 players on the team at the same times.

GK- Stenta CV/BU; Cervantes Vest/Clemson; Tronkowski ME/Clarkson; Manning UE/Plattsburgh

Def- Pepe Aragon Bing/Herk/Bowling Green; Abi Chavez UE/BU; Chris Riley UE/Herk/Wright St; Mike Dougherty Vest/Colgate; Joe Vrablic Vest/BU; Pat Skinner SV/BU; Jim Konuito Bing/Plattsburgh SUNYAC POY; Brent Maybee Vest/Herk/Clarkson; Justin Leskow UE/BU;

Mids- Mike Austin Oneonta/WVU; Sean Van Gorder ME/Rochester; Jay Robinson UE/Herk/WVU; Kevin Sax Vest/Notre Dame; Pat Price Vest/Cornell; Apia Apawa Ithaca/Oneonta; Jon Phoumonny EFA/StBona; Don Robbins Vest/Colgate; Nate Horton UE/Herk/E Carolina; Tommy Moon ME/BU; Aaron Zandy UE/StBona/UMass; Scott DePersis JC/LeMoyne/Lynn; Eric Riddleberger Owe/Clemson;

Attack- Andy Davis Bing/Herk/Evansville; Orest Grechka Owe/Hartwick; Matt Tanzini Vest/Herk/WVU; Will McCarthy Oneonta/Hartwick; Ed Opkihru Vest/Buffalo; Mike Gianetti Vest/USMA; Teddy Hudock UE/Buffalo; Dani Brkovic JC/???; Jay Demtrak Bing/Ves/BU; Kevin Hawley ME/???; Jaret Dinkins SV/???;

Has it been that long ago that you would forget Nate Sanzo?

Has it been that long ago that you would forget Nate Sanzo?

Nate Sanzo was a good player, scored goals but his lack of play in college showed his limits. You put him against many of the players on this list and his abilities aren't at that level. He was a good player but I would have put both Skoenecki boys on before him. Honestly looking at that list of Strikers he's not even close.

For the record Mike Doherty never went to Colgate. He was the head soccer coach there for 20 yrs. He went to Babson college for 1 yr. the transfereed to Bing. u. Dont forget Nate Giorgio Vestal 1979/ Bing. U. Greatest player to ever come out of this area period.

For the record Mike Doherty never went to Colgate. He was the head soccer coach there for 20 yrs. He went to Babson college for 1 yr. the transfereed to Bing. u. Dont forget Nate Giorgio Vestal 1979/ Bing. U. Greatest player to ever come out of this area period.

Totally forgot Nate, he does deserve to be on the list, talk about a speed threat up top. And you are correct on the schools for Dougherty

Totally forgot Nate, he does deserve to be on the list, talk about a speed threat up top. And you are correct on the schools for Dougherty

Andy Davis went to HCC, Bowling Green and then finished off at Cortland.

what happened to the AllStar soccer trip to Europe? I heard it didnt get renewed because Shane embarrassed all of Section IV when we went too far with a couple of the "ladies" last year during a Coaches Dinner that included erotic dancers? Either that or his ball and chain doesnt trust him out of her sight so hes not allowed to go and no one else wants to assume the risk and liability of all those teenagers having sex and partying.

Archived