Best boys soccer players ever from Section IV

Guest Guest-hal

It seems as though part of the problem is extending the number of players from 18 to 36+ in the first tryout period. At least 18 new players make it past the first cut but the coaches have no intention of letting them go any further. The coaches give false hope to these new players all the while knowing that they will keep only their originals. Basically, ODP is a scam to steal the registration money from the new players who never really have a chance to take a spot away from an original player whether they deserve to or not. On the original team, the coaches only play their favorites anyway, which is generally made up of those who they coach in either high school or travel. That in my opinion is how the organization remains weak. Given what I have seen, you can't tell me only the best players are taken each year. I concur. NYS has very weak ODP teams but not because the best players are not good enough. It is weak because some of the best players in the state weren't taken to begin with. Our current National team isn't that great either. Makes you wonder if the same thing doesn't go on with ODP across the country.

Thus the problem with the American soccer system. This has been going on for year. Top level talent is few and far between because of the absolute TERRIBLE coaching most kids have at the youth level (smaller clubs and recreational leagues that use parents and non-licensed coaches to develop players). When we actually do find a top level player, our ODP system is also flawed. In Europe, if you are a top level talent, you are BOUGHT by a professional club and sent away to live at a residential academy with other players that are trying to be developed into professional soccer players. You are housed, fed, education both in school and soccer and paid to do so.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thus the problem with the American soccer system. This has been going on for year. Top level talent is few and far between because of the absolute TERRIBLE coaching most kids have at the youth level (smaller clubs and recreational leagues that use parents and non-licensed coaches to develop players). When we actually do find a top level player, our ODP system is also flawed. In Europe, if you are a top level talent, you are BOUGHT by a professional club and sent away to live at a residential academy with other players that are trying to be developed into professional soccer players. You are housed, fed, education both in school and soccer and paid to do so.

In the area where my children play soccer, there is so much political jealousy among parents who are often coaches that these people couldn't recognize a a great talent if it bit them in the ass simply because they are blinded by their own vanity. The tragedy behind this is that a potential superstar, one who might truly represent the community well, may remain hidden for a number of reasons as parents and coaches will always look for ways to promote their own children and players first. The reason why so many less talented players get a head is because they have money and can pick and choose where they want to spend it in terms of training and what organization(s) will give them the greatest amount of exposure. If you have the money, of course you are going to use it to give your child the most exposure they can get. It just makes you wonder if our ODP and National Teams aren't made up more of the very rich than they are of the very talented. In fact, I'm certain that is the case. In addition, organizations like ODP use this to their advantage. If you are willing to dole it out, they are more than willing to take it even if it means squat in the long run for many players. It's just too bad that there aren't people out there scouting for talent on a non-biased basis and in a more professional way. Such is America. It's all about "me" and not enough about "us".

In the area where my children play soccer, there is so much political jealousy among parents who are often coaches that these people couldn't recognize a a great talent if it bit them in the ass simply because they are blinded by their own vanity. The tragedy behind this is that a potential superstar, one who might truly represent the community well, may remain hidden for a number of reasons as parents and coaches will always look for ways to promote their own children and players first. The reason why so many less talented players get a head is because they have money and can pick and choose where they want to spend it in terms of training and what organization(s) will give them the greatest amount of exposure. If you have the money, of course you are going to use it to give your child the most exposure they can get. It just makes you wonder if our ODP and National Teams aren't made up more of the very rich than they are of the very talented. In fact, I'm certain that is the case. In addition, organizations like ODP use this to their advantage. If you are willing to dole it out, they are more than willing to take it even if it means squat in the long run for many players. It's just too bad that there aren't people out there scouting for talent on a non-biased basis and in a more professional way. Such is America. It's all about "me" and not enough about "us".

Really?!!!

Really?!!!

Please. Stop your bitchin' Of course politics and bs plays a part in it. However, you must have soccer talent to play at that level regardless. Politics plays a part in everything in life; government, sports, non-profits, corrupt cops, corrupt senators, governors, etc and every job in America or workplace in America for that matter. People are the problem.

Of course I don't see anyone listing true players from Section 4 that should have gone much farther in ODP. Just the ones bitchin' that their kid(s) never made the cut....

Please. Stop your bitchin' Of course politics and bs plays a part in it. However, you must have soccer talent to play at that level regardless. Politics plays a part in everything in life; government, sports, non-profits, corrupt cops, corrupt senators, governors, etc and every job in America or workplace in America for that matter. People are the problem.

Of course I don't see anyone listing true players from Section 4 that should have gone much farther in ODP. Just the ones bitchin' that their kid(s) never made the cut....

Yes. It's a real shame. Unfortunately, however, we can't take people out of the equation. No need to list any players specifically from Sec 4. NYW ODP=Syracuse+ Rochester + Buffalo.

Yes. It's a real shame. Unfortunately, however, we can't take people out of the equation. No need to list any players specifically from Sec 4. NYW ODP=Syracuse+ Rochester + Buffalo.

This isn't true at all. Sure, the majority of the players come out of those areas, because they are the biggest around, but every single year Section IV is well-represeted in ODP.

This isn't true at all. Sure, the majority of the players come out of those areas, because they are the biggest around, but every single year Section IV is well-represeted in ODP.

Keep drinking the kool-aid...............

Heres the facts straght from NYW. New york west had 18 players make their respective region 1 teams last year, out of these 18 two were from section 4 with both being boys. Only 2 girls from NYW made the regional team and they are both U15s from Syracuse. One boy from section 4 was invited to a national ID camp last summer also but I believe hes only about 12 years old. It dosent look good for section 4 being well represented, being in the winter pool dosent equal representing. Also If I might add theres not 1 girl in the Kool Aid corp that has anything to offer at the ODP level and no more than maybe 1 boy so its not a matter of them choosing not to play and Elmira, well there Elmira, thats all that needs to be said about them

Guest soccer911

Here is one fact about OPD....it is becoming less and less a tool for college coaches....I have spoke to several that refuse to even attend the "OPD" tounry anymore....the "Acacdemies" and even Premier Programs out there are putting out players better than the ODP level. ODP doen't even get the best players trying out as most know there is a "better way"!! Keep drinking the ODP kool-aod....there are better avenues to get developed and also scene by coaches for college than ODP.

Heres the facts straght from NYW. New york west had 18 players make their respective region 1 teams last year, out of these 18 two were from section 4 with both being boys. Only 2 girls from NYW made the regional team and they are both U15s from Syracuse. One boy from section 4 was invited to a national ID camp last summer also but I believe hes only about 12 years old. It dosent look good for section 4 being well represented, being in the winter pool dosent equal representing. Also If I might add theres not 1 girl in the Kool Aid corp that has anything to offer at the ODP level and no more than maybe 1 boy so its not a matter of them choosing not to play and Elmira, well there Elmira, thats all that needs to be said about them

You're right about the girls. Girls' soccer in this area is terrible and the coaches are even worse. I refuse to watch a girls soccer game in SEction IV.

It's funny, you knock Elmira, but fail to explain that the NATIONAL pool player comes from Elmira. Elmira is a much smaller community than Binghamton (about the size of Owego). The talent that they develop through Soaring Capital and Elmira Free Academy is more than respectable.

It's funny, you knock Elmira, but fail to explain that the NATIONAL pool player comes from Elmira. Elmira is a much smaller community than Binghamton (about the size of Owego). The talent that they develop through Soaring Capital and Elmira Free Academy is more than respectable.

The natonal pool player is from Elmira and so is the other regional player and so is the all state player from EFA but Cmon thats it. SCSC promotes ODP because the coaches all coach there and thats the only accomplishment they can boast about, being winter pool players. I guess what you will have to explain is why their goal differential in the premier league is usually about negative 80 to negative 90. Take away one girls team and you can count the number of games the whole club wins on one hand. It seems like the kids that cant make it in Binghamton go to Elmira and the kids that excell in Elmira progress to the binghamton team??

The natonal pool player is from Elmira and so is the other regional player and so is the all state player from EFA but Cmon thats it. SCSC promotes ODP because the coaches all coach there and thats the only accomplishment they can boast about, being winter pool players. I guess what you will have to explain is why their goal differential in the premier league is usually about negative 80 to negative 90. Take away one girls team and you can count the number of games the whole club wins on one hand. It seems like the kids that cant make it in Binghamton go to Elmira and the kids that excell in Elmira progress to the binghamton team??

Funny, you're absolutely wrong again.

1) I honestly can't ever remember a Binghamton player coming down to SCSC to play.

2) Sure, SCSC doesn't fair very well in some leagues of the "premier" leagues, but it's never 80-90 goal differental as you say. It's not even close. They rarely win the division, but don't often place last either.

3) SCSC is MUCH better that the clubs surrounding it. They are somewhere between clubs like Syracuse FC and Vestal FC. Better than a club like Vestal, but not as good as a club like Syracuse.

4) SCSC is drawn from a pretty small area. EFA, ESS, HHDS is pretty much the basis of the talent. Corning has their own club (it's crap)...so does HHDS.

5) SCSC's coaching staff is second to none in terms of quality and licensing.

Haven't you ever noticed one of the most successful teams in High school soccer in recent years? Obviously teams like Vestal and Owego, but the EFA boys as well, coached by a guy that also coaches for SCSC. Elmira Notre Dame boys as well...also coached by an SCSC coach.

Funny, you're absolutely wrong again.

1) I honestly can't ever remember a Binghamton player coming down to SCSC to play.

2) Sure, SCSC doesn't fair very well in some leagues of the "premier" leagues, but it's never 80-90 goal differental as you say. It's not even close. They rarely win the division, but don't often place last either.

3) SCSC is MUCH better that the clubs surrounding it. They are somewhere between clubs like Syracuse FC and Vestal FC. Better than a club like Vestal, but not as good as a club like Syracuse.

4) SCSC is drawn from a pretty small area. EFA, ESS, HHDS is pretty much the basis of the talent. Corning has their own club (it's crap)...so does HHDS.

5) SCSC's coaching staff is second to none in terms of quality and licensing.

Haven't you ever noticed one of the most successful teams in High school soccer in recent years? Obviously teams like Vestal and Owego, but the EFA boys as well, coached by a guy that also coaches for SCSC. Elmira Notre Dame boys as well...also coached by an SCSC coach.

Ok I was wrong they were exactly negative 71 as a club in 2010, take away the girls U15 team and they didnt win ten games as a club combined(you cant count the renegades they are in a B devision and play club teams.) And who is Vestal FC, are you referring to vestal rec? I would think they would be better, How do they compare to Fusion or Empire? After all they do call themselves premier right? Most of the Players at SCSC wouldnt even get on the field at a premier team, and yes I know Alex and the little kid would.As far as the coaching anyone can have those licenses, they are just a piece of paper that says you paid a bunch of money and sat through the class, I would agree Hamilton has seen some success but the others sure dont do much? ESS girls?? Fusion and Empire draw players from a hundred mile radius but you have to have something special to offer to draw players from a distance. How many devision 1 coaches at SCSC? As for Notre Dame HS they play in the D devision, have you ever seen who the other schools are? If you were going to give a example where SCSC players shine it would be Notre Dame girls and they arent coached by a SCSC coach in the fall

everyone knows that the HS powerhouses played under George Herrick and Duane Rinker. they are both top 20 NYS coaches for wins to ever coach high school boys.

Ok I was wrong they were exactly negative 71 as a club in 2010, take away the girls U15 team and they didnt win ten games as a club combined(you cant count the renegades they are in a B devision and play club teams.) And who is Vestal FC, are you referring to vestal rec? I would think they would be better, How do they compare to Fusion or Empire? After all they do call themselves premier right? Most of the Players at SCSC wouldnt even get on the field at a premier team, and yes I know Alex and the little kid would.As far as the coaching anyone can have those licenses, they are just a piece of paper that says you paid a bunch of money and sat through the class, I would agree Hamilton has seen some success but the others sure dont do much? ESS girls?? Fusion and Empire draw players from a hundred mile radius but you have to have something special to offer to draw players from a distance. How many devision 1 coaches at SCSC? As for Notre Dame HS they play in the D devision, have you ever seen who the other schools are? If you were going to give a example where SCSC players shine it would be Notre Dame girls and they arent coached by a SCSC coach in the fall

Not "everyone" can have those licenses. Other than the USSF "E" license, you have to take those higher level licensing classes (yes, you have to pay for them) and PASS them. You can fail and NOT receive your license.

Your point about not having division I players is valid because the numbers aren't there, but wouldn't that make the EFA boys' success even more impressive? The fact that they have been able to do it WITHOUT what you call Division I talent? The last 5 seasons, EFA has won 2 division titles, a STAC championship, and two sectional titles. ALL of club players on that team are SCSC players.

everyone knows that the HS powerhouses played under George Herrick and Duane Rinker. they are both top 20 NYS coaches for wins to ever coach high school boys.

No offense to coach rinker but I doubt he would be on that list if he had to play in the division that M-E now plays in.

Not "everyone" can have those licenses. Other than the USSF "E" license, you have to take those higher level licensing classes (yes, you have to pay for them) and PASS them. You can fail and NOT receive your license.

Your point about not having division I players is valid because the numbers aren't there, but wouldn't that make the EFA boys' success even more impressive? The fact that they have been able to do it WITHOUT what you call Division I talent? The last 5 seasons, EFA has won 2 division titles, a STAC championship, and two sectional titles. ALL of club players on that team are SCSC players.

Actually the question I asked was how many devision 1 coaches do they have not talent, neither area produces much of that. Hamilton obviously does a fantastic job with his team but I highly doubt it has anything to do with which piece of paper he has(coaching license). All those licenses do nothing for the ESS girls?? The only good player they had in recent years played at Fusion. Now for the bigger point, not to sound rude but who cares about HS soccer? Wouldnt it benefit all the players if NYW just didnt recognize high school soccer and they could play premier level soccer in the fall(Like Texas and California where the best players come from)?

ALL of club players on that team are SCSC players. Do you remember what happened when that SCSC team played Fusion? Was it something like 7-1? point being all you hear is hes an ODP coach and he has this license and this guys an ODP coach and the fact is Verkastas is the only one of them that can win at the premier level.

And EFA does have devision 1 talent

And EFA does have devision 1 talent

Let's face it. ODP NYW doesn't care about finding the best talent. It only cares about its own interests. If a kid from Elmira made it. That's great! Such things are far few and in between!

To all you parents...sorry, but your kids on 'the new block weren't good enough to make it to ODP apparently. Suck it up. However, Pat Price (Vestal) mid 80s, Sean Van Gorder (ME) early 90s, and Johny Phoummany (JC) 00's, were ODP Eastern Regional National team players that made it very far in the ODP program. Please stop bitchin' about politics. These players were the real deal.

To all you parents...sorry, but your kids on 'the new block weren't good enough to make it to ODP apparently. Suck it up. However, Pat Price (Vestal) mid 80s, Sean Van Gorder (ME) early 90s, and Johny Phoummany (JC) 00's, were ODP Eastern Regional National team players that made it very far in the ODP program. Please stop bitchin' about politics. These players were the real deal.

You missed the point!

That's pretty sad that there have only been 3 from our area over the past 30 years.......sounds like you just kicked yourself in the ass.

Archived