2012 Boys Stac Soccer

Guest Soccer fan

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure how you dominate a game and are losing 2-0 with 15 minutes to go but if thats your story stick to it. Corning made a great come back, Vestal fell apart and will be without two top players for the Section Semi and may not be able to get past Oneonta. Given the Corning/Elmira winner will be playing back to back days (possibly back to back to back for Corning) and the missing Vestal players there is a real possibility that Oneonta and JC could face off for the STAC Title. If that happens it would be a huge slap in the face for the larger schools of Section 4.

Not sure how you dominate a game and are losing 2-0 with 15 minutes to go but if thats your story stick to it. Corning made a great come back, Vestal fell apart and will be without two top players for the Section Semi and may not be able to get past Oneonta. Given the Corning/Elmira winner will be playing back to back days (possibly back to back to back for Corning) and the missing Vestal players there is a real possibility that Oneonta and JC could face off for the STAC Title. If that happens it would be a huge slap in the face for the larger schools of Section 4.

JC lost to GREENE last night. I doubt they make it out of the first round.

JC played their second (JV) team against Greene last night to rest their starters for the STAC Semi tomorrow. Try to know what really happened last, Purtell never even went on the field

Vestal lost mac do to injury (out for remaining season) and their main midfielder was lost during the vestal corning game do to a red card (i was being informed he was out for remaining season do to quanity of cards correct if wrong). and Elmira fell to Corning off a risky PK shoot out after Alex and Brenden couldnt find the net.

As I have said for a while now and been told its crazy, the small schools look good in STAC this season compared to the large schools. Without Mac and Nick Vestal is a very average team, no where near the dominant force they had been in years past. They should still be able to get by Oneonta but its not even close to an easy win to predict. Same for the JC/Corning match, a well rested JC squad with a very tired Corning group will be an even battle. Both of the larger schools should always prevail, when you have double the number of players to pick from each year you should be a stronger team but I don't see it happening. At least one of the small schools will be in the final I have a feeling, and possibly both.

Let me first say that JC doesn't belong in the same breath as Vestal and Maine-Endwell. JC isn't "one of the top A schools". They are a DISTANT 3rd. With that being said, Elmira BEAT both Vestal and Maine-Endwell this season.

I've seen almost all the schools in stac play this season. I would rank Vestal, M-E, Elmira, Corning, Ithaca and maybe even U-E ahead of JC. Admittedly, i'm a U-E supporter.

Well being a UE supporter would really show why you didn't know how strong many of the small school teams were. Corning needed PKs to get by JC today game could easily have went either way. SV beat ME 3-0 from what I heard and the guy I spoke to said it was clear SV was the stronger team. JC and SV are in the top five of the league overall easy those results show that no question

Well being a UE supporter would really show why you didn't know how strong many of the small school teams were. Corning needed PKs to get by JC today game could easily have went either way. SV beat ME 3-0 from what I heard and the guy I spoke to said it was clear SV was the stronger team. JC and SV are in the top five of the league overall easy those results show that no question

Wrong, I was at the Corning/JC game. Corning played without thier best player for the entire match and a starting central midfielder for the entire second half. Even with those players out, Corning had the better run of play even after thier 3rd game in 3 days and a roster of 16 players. JC resorted to "kick and run" and provided very few scoring opportunities. I didn't see them connect a pass out of the back more than 5 times the entire match.

After seeing JC play I would still rank Vestal, Corning, Elmira, Ithaca, Oneonta, Maine-Endwell, and maybe even SV ahead of them.

Wrong, I was at the Corning/JC game. Corning played without thier best player for the entire match and a starting central midfielder for the entire second half. Even with those players out, Corning had the better run of play even after thier 3rd game in 3 days and a roster of 16 players. JC resorted to "kick and run" and provided very few scoring opportunities. I didn't see them connect a pass out of the back more than 5 times the entire match.

After seeing JC play I would still rank Vestal, Corning, Elmira, Ithaca, Oneonta, Maine-Endwell, and maybe even SV ahead of them.

Thats the style JC played all year and for a few years now, they beat SV and Oneonta with it so it doesn't really matter if you like it its effective for them. Marco did the same thing for years at BU and went to the NCAAs with it, not pretty but its an effective style of soccer if you know how to play it. Soccer is not a play it one way or else game, the purpose of the game is to try and win, JC chooses a less technical style than others but they have success with it.

your rankings make no sense Corning fan

Oh and this ME v SV game I heard was the same as the JC v Greene game where it was m-e JVs v SV. Also heard it was a scrimmage, big difference from it being an actual game meaning something

Let me get this right you mention all of this about Corning but don't mention JC played without Purtell, easily their best player and top scorer all season. No wonder they didn't generate many quality chances like Elmira and Alex the entire JC attack was based on Hans. Oneonta over Vestal 4-3, SV over ME 3-0 and Corning over JC in pks but you still cling to the idea that that just because they are small schools they can't play soccer as good. Sorry but this year those three small schools are as good as any large school team in STAC

Thats the style JC played all year and for a few years now, they beat SV and Oneonta with it so it doesn't really matter if you like it its effective for them. Marco did the same thing for years at BU and went to the NCAAs with it, not pretty but its an effective style of soccer if you know how to play it. Soccer is not a play it one way or else game, the purpose of the game is to try and win, JC chooses a less technical style than others but they have success with it.

Then JC Is lucky they are on the other side of STAC. That style of play does not work against GOOD teams. Vs Windsor, Norwich, CF, CV, Seton i'm sure it's fine. JC hasn't won a Sectional Title in the last decade because it's been dominated by teams like Owego, EFA, and M-E. Teams that don't play kick and run.

Let me get this right you mention all of this about Corning but don't mention JC played without Purtell, easily their best player and top scorer all season. No wonder they didn't generate many quality chances like Elmira and Alex the entire JC attack was based on Hans. Oneonta over Vestal 4-3, SV over ME 3-0 and Corning over JC in pks but you still cling to the idea that that just because they are small schools they can't play soccer as good. Sorry but this year those three small schools are as good as any large school team in STAC

Are you aware that Vestal was playing without it's 3 top players, one of which is heading to a D-1 University next season?

Direct quote from the newspaper:

"Corning subbed a bit more and outshot Johnson City 23-6. Alex Goforth made five saves in goal for the Hawks, while Johnson City’s Steve Bailey turned back 14 shots."

23-6? Doesn't look like much of a game to me. JC seemed lucky to even force an OT.

The game wasnt close. I know because i was in it. without jc's key scorer they didnt seem to be much. From a general stand point there were 3 chances for JC, both off free kicks. Corning's midfield had a good game and could make it a dangerous ball most of the time yet out of 23 shouts we hit goal 14. JC's keeper was amazing and saved some key opportunities but to have to go into a pk shoot out against JC was to risky for corning.

Since we are all talking about players missing, Corning is missing arguably its most dangerous offensive player. Jon Michael Tokar, the kicker for the football team left, and was last year's leading scorer, He also led in yellow cards too, so it could be an addition by subtraction in that way. The kid is a Division 1 lacrosse player, and is now being looked at by D1 schools for kicking. Tells you the type of athlete he is. Easily the fastest player in the conference-yes even faster than Economo. There were a half dozen Corning kids that decided not to play. Imagine what might have been.......................

Since we are all talking about players missing, Corning is missing arguably its most dangerous offensive player. Jon Michael Tokar, the kicker for the football team left, and was last year's leading scorer, He also led in yellow cards too, so it could be an addition by subtraction in that way. The kid is a Division 1 lacrosse player, and is now being looked at by D1 schools for kicking. Tells you the type of athlete he is. Easily the fastest player in the conference-yes even faster than Economo. There were a half dozen Corning kids that decided not to play. Imagine what might have been.......................

Tokar is a decent soccer player but definitely not a D-1 kicker. The kid at UE who kicks and punts outkicked him by a mile when they played, and the Vestal kicker is at least as good. And I doubt any of them are D-1

Archived