Newtown, Ct., NRA Now Has a Real Problem

Guest Guest

• Replies 581
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reference to her committing her son was to inform you that he would not have been available to commit his crime if the democrats hadn't blocked the bill. Wow!

So if she had been able to have her son institutionalized, he would have been retained forever and never been able to go all gun nut on Sandy Hook?

So if she had been able to have her son institutionalized, he would have been retained forever and never been able to go all gun nut on Sandy Hook?

I believe the goal of institutionalizing someone is to get them treatment and hopefully stabilize them enough so they can renter society without being a danger to themselves or others. You liberals are freaking hysterical little fools. It prevents you from thinking rationally.

I believe the goal of institutionalizing someone is to get them treatment and hopefully stabilize them enough so they can renter society without being a danger to themselves or others. You liberals are freaking hysterical little fools. It prevents you from thinking rationally.

Thanks for the clarification and the biting insult. Now go back and read the post I replied to and see if you get it.

Thanks for the clarification and the biting insult. Now go back and read the post I replied to and see if you get it.

Yes. He would have been unavailable to commit his crime. No go back to eating your crayons.

Sorry to jump in without reading all the posts, but;

Is the NRA proposal to register all people under treatment for mental disorders and then to register the owner of every type of weapon so we can find matches?

I know that avoids people who are undiagnosed and guns that are hidden but that would be a start.

I dont know if I said it in this thread or another but there is one thing they could do that would be a big help.

In NYS if you dont have insurance on your vehicle the DMV system automatically suspends your registration and liscense. There is a trigger in the system that does this automatically.

Why cant there be a trigger in the NICS system that would red flag an individual with mental health issues?

I know many will claim a HIPAA violation but there does NOT need to be a reason given at the time you are denied the purchase. All it has to say is denied and the seller can not sell the weapon. The buyer can challenge that ruling and if they were denied due to mental health issues, they would simply have to go to a Dr. and be evailuated and deemed ok to own firearms.

Marry that with a law that states you can NOT legally purchase ANY firearm unless you fill out the 4473 and go through a NICS check and do the purchase through an FFL dealer. I know, what about private sales. Well, fine, set a standard rate (much like getting an inspection done on your car) to do an FFL transfer from private party to private party and go through the transfer.

As an avid gun collector/owner I am very open to any and all ideas on how to keep guns out of the hands of those that should not have them. One of the reasons I am armed is because there are way too many nutjobs and criminals out there with guns. It is pretty far down on the list of whys but it is on there. New laws should make sense and actually DO SOMETHING to fix the problem. Bans have never worked. They didnt work on alcohol, they arent working on drugs, they wouldnt work on guns.

I have jumped on you before for being to willing to give up your liberties regarding the 2nd Amendment but I agree with both of those ideas 100%. It is somewhat surprising that those aren't already in practice. There are so many ineffective and senseless gun laws that don't have the impact that those two changes would.

I am not "willing" to give up anything. The thing is, how do I stay armed and keep guns out of the hands of people who should not have them? That is the question.

As a gun owner and subscribing to the notion there are bad people out there with guns, AND if I am to say one of the reasons I am armed is because I have a right to defend my familiy and myself, then it would be hypocritical not to acknowledge the fact that there ARE guns getting into the hands of the wrong people.

If people actually give a crap about the tragedy in CT then it is up to all of us to come TOGETHER and hash out a way to defend our liberties AND make our country safe for our kids. Name calling, partisan politics, and pointing blame in the wrong direction has not worked thus far, it is time for a different approach.

It can be done but it requires everyone to work together gun owners and gun haters.

Yes. He would have been unavailable to commit his crime. No go back to eating your crayons.

I know you're at least smart enough to come up with these hilarious and original insults.

My point was: would he have unavailable to commit this crime for a short time period or forever? If being committed would have been temporary (and in his case, likely) then he would have gotten out at some point (whether a few weeks or a few years) later and certainly been able to do what he did last week. In just such a case, the griping you did about the law would have been a moot point.

I was hoping not to have to type all this out, word for word, but you didn't seem to get it.

Isn't one of the categories which will cause a NICS red flag already someone who has mental health issues?

How is the NRA proposal different.

No, it isnt. On the 4473 form it will ask you if you have ever been treated for mental health issues but there is nothing tied to the NICS system if you are/were a mental patient. It is a yes or no check box and there is no verification or any way to varify if the info given on the 4473 is truthful or accurate.

See, this is why people like me laugh at these rules we have to abide by. Lie on your 4473 and as long as there are no judgements against you then you get to walk away with the gun. You can be sure, some idiot politician came up with the crap but it does NOTHING to stop bad gun sales.

I know you're at least smart enough to come up with these hilarious and original insults.

My point was: would he have unavailable to commit this crime for a short time period or forever? If being committed would have been temporary (and in his case, likely) then he would have gotten out at some point (whether a few weeks or a few years) later and certainly been able to do what he did last week. In just such a case, the griping you did about the law would have been a moot point.

I was hoping not to have to type all this out, word for word, but you didn't seem to get it.

And I clearly stated that he would have been immediately unavailable to commit it in the short term and, hopefully, would receive the treatment to prevent him from committing it upon his release. Not that difficult to understand. At least for someone with average intelligence. I can't dumb it down any further for you.

No, it isnt. On the 4473 form it will ask you if you have ever been treated for mental health issues but there is nothing tied to the NICS system if you are/were a mental patient. It is a yes or no check box and there is no verification or any way to varify if the info given on the 4473 is truthful or accurate.

See, this is why people like me laugh at these rules we have to abide by. Lie on your 4473 and as long as there are no judgements against you then you get to walk away with the gun. You can be sure, some idiot politician came up with the crap but it does NOTHING to stop bad gun sales.

I like the idea that all we have to do is trust the person that is filling out the form.After all they probably have to give their SS number too and we all know that is impossible to fake that. Ask and one that is in the country illegally and needs one to get a job.

And that is why it is difficult for me to take gun laws seriously and why I talked down to people who think more laws are the answer. We dont need more laws, we need to slam the door on the loopholes that make buying guns illegally in this country EASIER than buying legal ones.

To buy a handgun in NY you have to get a permit (pay a couple hundred bucks and wait 3-6 months, buy the gun (takes another week to get your coupon), and then go back to the store and pick up your gun (granted you pass the NICS check). OR you can go down to Susquehanna st in binghetto and pick one up for less than $200 and no paperwork. Dont worry about it if you get caught, if it's your first time, a slap on the wrist and you are back home 45 minutes after court started.

Yeah, were serious about gun violence here in America!!

This is from the FBI fact sheet.

• An unlawful user and/or an addict of any controlled substance; for example, a person convicted for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past year; or a person with multiple arrests for the use or possession of a controlled substance within the past five years with the most recent arrest occurring within the past year; or a person found through a drug test to use a controlled substance unlawfully, provided the test was administered within the past year.
  • A person adjudicated mental defective or involuntarily committed to a mental institution or incompetent to handle own affairs, including dispositions to criminal charges of found not guilty by reason of insanity or found incompetent to stand trial.

I understand how the law doesn't really work. I suspect that most of the laws are cosmetic to keep the voter at bay while answering to the arms industry.

After all is said and done, more will be said than done.

Wulf you did a nice job of making concrete suggestion on a other thread. Have you seen anyone thinking along your way?

I was at a flea market in Fla. where a guy had a stall with all kinds of guns. I listened to him sell a small gun to a 20s something girl (or less) so she could keep it in her purse. I don't think there was much record checking of keeping going on there.

There are quite a few thinking as I am (mainstream gun owners) but as I stated before, the hard corps gun nuts wont give an inch and the gun grabbers on the other side dont want to hear reasoning, they want laws and they want them now.

If there was any remaining bi-partisanship stemming from this recent tragedy, it has been all but used up . Now the lines are being drawn in the sand . The ones who will suffer the most from it are folks like you and I. Neither side will get what they want, each side will claim a victory, and it will be business as usual.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I am quickly losing faith in the idea that we could actually come together in the face of overwhelming tragedy and make a difference.

There are quite a few thinking as I am (mainstream gun owners) but as I stated before, the hard corps gun nuts wont give an inch and the gun grabbers on the other side dont want to hear reasoning, they want laws and they want them now.

If there was any remaining bi-partisanship stemming from this recent tragedy, it has been all but used up . Now the lines are being drawn in the sand . The ones who will suffer the most from it are folks like you and I. Neither side will get what they want, each side will claim a victory, and it will be business as usual.

Sorry to sound so pessimistic but I am quickly losing faith in the idea that we could actually come together in the face of overwhelming tragedy and make a difference.

Ya know - I agree with what most of what you say, but your gun - grabbers comment is a little too extremist NRA. List the number of 'gun grabber' pieces of legislation that has gained any ground anywhere.

Nobody is out to take your guns. That is just NRA/gun mfg bullshit.

Just wondering....would you be a volunteer to go collect these guns from their rightful owners or will you just run your mouth and let some other poor bastards go door to door in an attempt to confiscate these guns?

When violence strikes everyone screams for more regulations instead of trying to get to the bottom of what's causing the violence.

And I clearly stated that he would have been immediately unavailable to commit it in the short term and, hopefully, would receive the treatment to prevent him from committing it upon his release. Not that difficult to understand. At least for someone with average intelligence. I can't dumb it down any further for you.

So...I guess you're really here more to insult people than attempt intelligent discourse. That's ok. It takes all kinds.

Have a nice Christmas.

So...I guess you're really here more to insult people than attempt intelligent discourse. That's ok. It takes all kinds.

Have a nice Christmas.

So... I guess you are hear to talk about other people attempting intelligent discourse. You don't possess the necessary tools to participate.

Don't choke on your christmas ham.

Ya know - I agree with what most of what you say, but your gun - grabbers comment is a little too extremist NRA. List the number of 'gun grabber' pieces of legislation that has gained any ground anywhere.

Nobody is out to take your guns. That is just NRA/gun mfg bullshit.

Therein lies your problem. You dont have a problem with me calling the gun buyers gun nuts but you have a problem with me calling those that want guns out of the hands of citizens gun grabbers. I never said anything about any legislation that gained any ground, I am simply pointing out the the well stated side of those that dont want to see guns in the hands of the civilian population.

Also, yes, there are people out to get my guns. Have you even looked at Diane Feinstein's proposal yet? I own a handy collection of semi auto firearms and over the past week MANY ideas have been floated to ban those types of weapons. Every time I hear someone say "nobody is out to get your guns" all I can picture is Officer Barbrady from South Park telling the crowd to move along, there is nothing to see here. If you are not bias, have no agenda, and really want to get through this problem, maybe you should be able to see both sides of the issue or at the very least, the overall big picture.

Archived