Press Athlete of the year

Guest John Fox

Guest John Fox

My choices for the Press athelte of the year for 2012

1. Jim Johnson U.E. grad, Baltimore Orioles All Star and all time saves leader with 51 in a season

2. Chandler Jones U.E. grad first round draft pick of the Patriots having a good rookie season

3. Jon Jones U.E. grad UFC light heaveyweight champion

4. Arthur Jones U.E. grad and dt for Baltimore Ravens. 4 sacks as of this post

5. Jermey Baltz Vestal grad St Johns baseball drafted in second round( highest ever for baseball)

6. Gallagher M.E. QB and basketball player

7. Luis Aceta M.E. football and track

8. Nick Sorrenti M.E. football

9. KJ Rose BHS basketball player

10. Jimmy Gray former BHS grad and current BU basketball player

James Johnson is the clear and only choice. Clearly in the discussion for easiest no-brainer ever for Press AOY. Job well done JJ!

Can't argue with C Jones at #2 or J Jones at #3 even though I do not recognize the sport. He's an athlete and he's leading his field.

I can and do argue with the elder Jones at #4, but then, who cares, it's not even close to #1.

Be proud U-E, you have a great slate of athletes in the top level of their chosen. Not too many schools can say that.

For high school I haven't paid enough attention overall to fairly say who I think is tops. You are probably right though with Gallagher.

Good job with your list, although...any hs females in the discussion?

Jimmy Johnson (No Way) over Jon Jones,,OR Gallager from Maine-Endwell... Baltimore was SWEPT 4-0 In Playoffs, And to My Knowledge He had some critical BLOWN SAVES<<< Given that he is not in a League of his own YET!!!!

Guest Bob Costas

James Johnson is the clear and only choice. Clearly in the discussion for easiest no-brainer ever for Press AOY. Job well done JJ!

Can't argue with C Jones at #2 or J Jones at #3 even though I do not recognize the sport. He's an athlete and he's leading his field.

I can and do argue with the elder Jones at #4, but then, who cares, it's not even close to #1.

Be proud U-E, you have a great slate of athletes in the top level of their chosen. Not too many schools can say that.

For high school I haven't paid enough attention overall to fairly say who I think is tops. You are probably right though with Gallagher.

Who would you rate higher then Art Jones for 4th place? 4 sacks is very impressive in the NFl considering he does not start.

Who would you rate higher then Art Jones for 4th place? 4 sacks is very impressive in the NFl considering he does not start.

That's the point. He doesn't even start.

A guy off the bench is not in the discussion for AOY. Certainly not even for 4th place. NFL or not. Sorrenti gets it over Jone Jones. He did the very best he could at the level he is at.

So you are saying he's #4 because of four plays? I wouldn't list a 2nd stringer in this discussion if

A guy off the bench is not in the discussion for AOY. Certainly not even for 4th place. NFL or not. Sorrenti gets it over Jone Jones. He did the very best he could at the level he is at.

I meant Art Jones. Sorry.

Guest Mr. Gallagher

Four sacks against NFL teams carries more weight then tackles against Owego and Johnson City.

Art keeps his 4 spot.

Four sacks against NFL teams carries more weight then tackles against Owego and Johnson City.

Art keeps his 4 spot.

Bull crap. Level of play is a factor, but not THE factor. Else, no matter what a high schooler does, you'll argue the pro gets the nod.

Besides, what's tackles vs Owego and JC have to do with what I said? Sorrenti was named for his offensive skills at his level of play. What he did this season at HIS level far surpasses what Art did.

I am a huge fan of Art Jones, loved to watch him play football and wrestle, but he's not #4 on this list.

Guest Bob Costas

Bull crap. Level of play is a factor, but not THE factor. Else, no matter what a high schooler does, you'll argue the pro gets the nod.

Besides, what's tackles vs Owego and JC have to do with what I said? Sorrenti was named for his offensive skills at his level of play. What he did this season at HIS level far surpasses what Art did.

I am a huge fan of Art Jones, loved to watch him play football and wrestle, but he's not #4 on this list.

I would rate Sorrenti higher if he played more then one high school sport. Art was a two time state wrestling champ as well as an All State football player. Chandler was an accomplished basketball player as well as blue chip football player. In my opinion Gallagher rates higher then Sorrenti because he also played basketball at a high level.

Molly huddle (olympian and American record holder 5000 meters) from elmira

I would rate Sorrenti higher if he played more then one high school sport. Art was a two time state wrestling champ as well as an All State football player. Chandler was an accomplished basketball player as well as blue chip football player. In my opinion Gallagher rates higher then Sorrenti because he also played basketball at a high level.

What does what Art and Chandler did in high school have to do with AOY for 2012? (and in what universe was Chandler an accomplished basketball player? I'll admit I only saw him play basketball once, but based on what I saw and read from U-E fans, he was not "accomplished")

Molly huddle (olympian and American record holder 5000 meters) from elmira

She's not in the discussion for the BINGHAMTON Press & Sun-Bulletin AOY.

She'll be a leader for the ELMIRA Star-Gazette.

My choices for the Press athelte of the year for 2012

1. Jim Johnson U.E. grad, Baltimore Orioles All Star and all time saves leader with 51 in a season

2. Chandler Jones U.E. grad first round draft pick of the Patriots having a good rookie season

3. Jon Jones U.E. grad UFC light heaveyweight champion

4. Arthur Jones U.E. grad and dt for Baltimore Ravens. 4 sacks as of this post

5. Jermey Baltz Vestal grad St Johns baseball drafted in second round( highest ever for baseball)

6. Gallagher M.E. QB and basketball player

7. Luis Aceta M.E. football and track

8. Nick Sorrenti M.E. football

9. KJ Rose BHS basketball player

10. Jimmy Gray former BHS grad and current BU basketball player

I would lean toward Johnson, but C. Jones belongs in the conversation. The others don't!

He was man handled all day yesterday. He was getting pushed back 4-5 feet everytime.

And you pushed back 4-5 chili dogs every hour. Whats your point? 1 Game doesn't define a year.

Nobody said it didn't,did they?

The fact that he was on the original post and at #4, and has been mentioned in other posts in this thread, then yes, people did imply it did not take him out of the discussion.

Guest Bob Costas

I would lean toward Johnson, but C. Jones belongs in the conversation. The others don't!

Of course the others aren't in the same class as the top two. The top ten list gives recognition to others who had noteworthy seasons.

Archived