National signing day 2-6-2013

Guest Max Prep

That idiot PSB writer Kevin Stevens had the entire ME senior class going to the SEC! Stevens is an idiot & ME lover. He's still in love with Tom Janik, a ME basketball player 20 years ago! He had him on the list of all time best basketball team ever from Section 4. Unreal. No way Janik is a top 12 player ever from this area.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no way that Gallagher will even go D3, very few teams are looking for a QB who's only talent is being able to hand the ball off. If his father wasn't blinded by pride, and believing his own press, he would move him to another position. Maybe tightend, D-end, somewhere, but not Qb. I watched the SV game and he had a hard time passing against them, and they were helpless.

Guest guestmoocow

One of the things the NCAA is cracking down on is academic eligibility. In order to play D1, D2 or D3, they look at the high school courses that have been taken and apply a 'point' system. For a D3 school, you need less 'points' compared to a D1 school. In other words, less years of science, math, foreign language etc are needed to play at a D3 school compared to a D1 school. If memory serves me, I believe D1 athletes need 16 points, whereas D3 need 14. Doesn't sound like much but for many athletes it can make a big difference. And let's say the athlete is not good in a particular subject and they are in a remedial level of the course in high school - this may not be accepted as an academic equivalent by the NCAA and not given the 'points' that a 'regular' course would be given. And I believe with either this year's or next year's incoming freshman class, some of this is changing making academic eligibility that much more difficult. The required schoolwork will need to be done by the junior year in high school. All of this is being done to crack down on diploma mills and to discourage parents from moving their kids from one high school to the next for sports - these kids have the messiest academic transcripts. While some parents are out there campaigning for their kids to get them noticed athletically, they are missing a key ingredient. If they don't make sure their kid has enough math or science throughout high school, then they can kiss that D1 school good bye. Check out the NCAA guidelines.

One of the things the NCAA is cracking down on is academic eligibility. In order to play D1, D2 or D3, they look at the high school courses that have been taken and apply a 'point' system. For a D3 school, you need less 'points' compared to a D1 school. In other words, less years of science, math, foreign language etc are needed to play at a D3 school compared to a D1 school. If memory serves me, I believe D1 athletes need 16 points, whereas D3 need 14. Doesn't sound like much but for many athletes it can make a big difference. And let's say the athlete is not good in a particular subject and they are in a remedial level of the course in high school - this may not be accepted as an academic equivalent by the NCAA and not given the 'points' that a 'regular' course would be given. And I believe with either this year's or next year's incoming freshman class, some of this is changing making academic eligibility that much more difficult. The required schoolwork will need to be done by the junior year in high school. All of this is being done to crack down on diploma mills and to discourage parents from moving their kids from one high school to the next for sports - these kids have the messiest academic transcripts. While some parents are out there campaigning for their kids to get them noticed athletically, they are missing a key ingredient. If they don't make sure their kid has enough math or science throughout high school, then they can kiss that D1 school good bye. Check out the NCAA guidelines.

I'm not disputing this, but it makes no sense. I agree that FBS has to be monitored more closely because of the big bucks involved to make sure there is no funny business going on, but why should the course requirements differ. If it was a JC I could understand, but a BA or BS program at any level should merit the same minimum requirements.

Guest guestmoocow

First off, WSF, I do appreciate your polite response in disagreeing - it can get pretty nasty around here. The NCAA wields some mighty big power and it is pouring over into academics. They are a money making organization first of all. They are not monitored by any gov't. agency, which could be good or bad depending on your political views, but because they are independent, they call the shots on the academics, and do. There's been controversy through the years given the fact that colleges have let in individuals that are pretty much functionally illiterate because they can dribble or throw a ball. If an athlete is uniquely talented, then their time in college will be limited to maybe one or two years until they are old enough and can be drafted and go professional, depending on their particular sport. NCAA established some criteria over the last several years to ensure that the athlete is a student-athlete, and not coming into college unprepared or with skills that a high school may say they have, when they actually don't. Some of the colleges will tell you this is a good thing, while others are incredibly frustrated by the NCAA sticking their nose in the university's academic business. But then again the NCAA does generate bucks for some of the big name colleges.....The Eligibility Center through the NCAA has set up a tiered system, with the demands of the D1 schools academically being the most rigorous and therefore the student-athlete needing more academic preparation. I know it doesn't make total sense when you compare Cortland with Ithaca College for example - both are D3 schools, but the academic demands for acceptance into Ithaca are much much higher. When a high school student is being evaluated for academic eligibility, depending on what college they are attending, their first year of eligibility is dependent upon their high school education. For a D3 school, you need less 'points'. This translates to fewer years of high school math, foreign language, science, etc. compared to the D1 schools. So again, if parents aren't aware of this early on and let's say their kid isn't all that good in math for example, they may not have their child take more than 2 years of high school math. In NYS, that is all you need for your regents diploma. Two years of high school math is acceptable for D3 schools, but not for D1 schools - they want 3 years of math. Now let's say your kid has some academic challenges - if they take remedial science or remedial math, the NCAA may not recognize those courses as being at the same level academically as a 'regular' science or math class. So a kid who has aspirations for playing at a D1 school, and is darn good and their parents have 'groomed' them for this, that kid may not be academically eligible and have to look to a D2 or D3 school right out of high school. Some other options also exist. A kid can go to a junior college and go there for a year (I think it's credit based; they have to accumulate a minimum or 24 credits or something like that) and/or they can get their degree there and show good academic progress. They can then transfer into the college/university, and their high school transcript is basically voided. But then they may have to wait a year to receive eligibility to establish 'residency' at the college/university. You have probably seen this with kids that come in after a year or two at another college and they have to 'sit' a season. So basically you could end up only playing a year or two before getting your four year degree.

Moocow:

A pretty intense reply! I wasn’t saying that the NCAA establishing minimum academic standards didn’t make sense; I agree that some minimum should be met for participation. Especially with these one-and-done basketball players. I think they hurt the game.

And I certainly understand that some schools will set their minimum standards for athletes above the NCAA minimum, good for them.

My point is that if the student/athlete is enrolling in a BS in Business Administration program the minimum HS standards should be the same regardless of the level of the sports team. The achademics should dictate the minimum, not D1, 2 or 3.

Not everything makes sense though.

Guest guestmoocow

Couldn't agree with you more, WSF. I've had personal experience, as you might have guessed, with the whole academic eligibility process and the NCAA. But it's certainly something that most parents of athletes don't really know well or even think about - they look at the athletic ability of their kid but not what coursework their kids take in high school, and how that can effect their eligibility when hoping to play sports, particularly for a D1 school. And believe it or not, there have been kids that are honor roll students that took courses in high school that the NCAA would not approve, thereby losing their athletic scholarships because they were deemed ineligible. It's crazy.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest peter

Really don't understand why the ME fanboys won't say what college Sorreto is playing at?! It can only mean he really is going to BCC and isn't playing college ball anywhere.

Sorrenti to play Linebacker at Utica

Guest sports-man

You have probably done this by the looks of your posts fellas....but go to the "Clearing House" and check out the academic "standards" and I use "standards" as an almost laughable phrase.

They are a joke.

Guest Guest

The NYS Regents diploma now is comparable to what the "local diploma" was a generation ago. A "Regents Diploma with Distinction" is comparable to what a standard Regents diploma was when we (current parents) were in high school. Therefore, any student that is on the Advanced Regents Diploma with Distinction path is fine for the NCAA D1 requirements.

There are plenty of talented athletes out there. And with the rigors of being a student-athlete in college, the prestigous D1 programs want students that will not fail out. If a student is not taking the most difficult courses offered at his school than his chances are slimmer of getting in. Or, are athletes given such an advantage that the admissions offices have different standards for the athletes????

Guest Guest

Great academic school, that one.

Funny, cause Sorrenti will go there, get his grades up and transfer out to a D1 school. Mark my words.

Guest Former Coach & Scout

Funny, cause Sorrenti will go there, get his grades up and transfer out to a D1 school. Mark my words.

Bunk. No one EVER transfers from D3 to D1. That simply isn't how it works. If grades were the goal and a D1 school wanted him, then one would've stashed him away at Milford Academy, Fork Union, or a JUCO like ASA, Nassau, or Hudson Valley. Nothing agains the kid. He was a high school stud. Happens a lot when a kid physically is stronger and more mature than the other kids his age. See Kelsey Jenks. Great HS player, too small and slow to get it done even at FCS school Albany. Not shabby. Playing at a Utica can be a fun experience and a good time. And a decent education. But even elite D-3 players from the Mount Unions of the world do NOT transfer to Division 1 schools. And Sorrenti won't either. If that's the goal for him, he is being VERY POORLY advised by the M-E staff or his parents or whomever is giving him that advice. Go find the transfer rates from D-3 programs to D-1. There aren't any. Because they don't exist.

Now, he could transfer from Utica to Buffalo and walk on, but it's not likely he'll play. I find it hard to believe a Division 1 FCS joke like Vagina-er would offer a non-productive Scepaniak over a proven commodity like Sorrenti, but CS has measurables (size) that fit some of the profiles for players better than NS, who is too slow for LB at the D-1 level and too small for DE. Since very few programs use a true FB anymore and he's too slow for H-Back, he's kind of stuck as a tweener. That doesn't diminish the fact that he's a great football player, but he doesn't fit the metrics for the rubrics big time coaches use now.

But he ain't going to anywhere big time from Utica. So just stop setting the kid up for humiliation.

Great academic school, that one. :blink:

I do not know about the present situation there, but I DO know it had a (considered) great Criminal Justice program and if it is still considered such that makes it a great place to play ball if you are planning to be employed in the CJ field down the line.

Guest thebabe

sorry ME, your favorite buddy Sorrenti is going D4. he has the size and strength, but he's way to slow with no quickness to play D1

Guest chuck

Great academic school, that one. :blink:

Why all the hating on Utica? They have many great programs and the football program is experiencing good growth and potential. Plus they are not exactly cheap $45,000. If Nick was just going to college for football he would have picked a D2 school in Pa that is half the cost- like Bloomsburg. (I'm sure they contacted him.) I don't know the kid, but he did get national recognition so stop acting like he was a big deal only to his home school/locally. Who cares what division he plays...college=getting an education so you don't have to live in mommy and daddy's basement.

Guest Guest

Chuck, Utica College is a joke of an academic institute, I know high school "D" students who got in there. There is a zero percent chance a kid goes to a Utica College (very poor football program) and transfers to a D1 college. Zero! Utica is for the students who couldn't get into Cortland.

Guest Guest

As Division I colleges begin to head to the Empire State to recruit him, Sorrenti is looking for one thing:

“I want a university that feels like a home on and off the football field. I don’t want a team. I want a family. With the same type of community feel and tradition that we have here at Maine-Endwell.”

As what does he intend to major in?

“I want to become a registered nurse,” Sorrenti proudly stated.

Archived