Who is the best local basketball coach

Guest Guest 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Charlie Tarricone from U.E.

Michele Tidick from J.C. & Vestal.

Art Sharpsteen, CV.

Are the only coaches in the Hall of Fame, NYS Coaches Association.

Or did I miss someone?

Art Sharpsteen, CV.

Or did I miss someone?

http://bcany.org/hal...e/hall-of-fame/

Here is the list.... Skimmed it quick and saw Halloran as well as coaches from Oneonta, Waverly and a coupel more section iv schools

Guest fact checker

Art Sharpsteen, CV.

Or did I miss someone?

what you surely missed is the point...the question asked was ..who we thought..meaning those of us currently reading the question..not some obscure association..wake up ..

Guest Frank Gahagan

Halloran was very very good. He had consistantly great teams for decades. Hows the ole saying go "he can take his and beat yours and he could take yours and beat his.

Guest jaun Lingo

Coach Halloran served the Whitney Point School District for 43 years. In 1993, he was noted as the all-time winningest basketball coach in the NYSPHSAA with 630 victories. In addition to basketball, Halloran coached varsity football for 16 years, varsity track for 37 years, and was the athletic director for 32 years while maintaining a full-time teaching position.

Game over!!!! only one losing season ever ...ever...

Coach Halloran served the Whitney Point School District for 43 years. In 1993, he was noted as the all-time winningest basketball coach in the NYSPHSAA with 630 victories. In addition to basketball, Halloran coached varsity football for 16 years, varsity track for 37 years, and was the athletic director for 32 years while maintaining a full-time teaching position.

Game over!!!! only one losing season ever ...ever...

In light of the current financial crisis in many schools, maybe Jack could show the local school districts how he managed to do all this and do it successfully. Maybe the kids wouldn't be threatened with losing sports and music.

To be honest, many of the coaches mentioned in this thread have been off topic, as they went towards former coaches, and it seems clear to me that the OP intended to discuss present day coaches.

Well Said. Who is a good coach today??

Guest Trojan Man

Steve Burghart in Greene is a very good coach. It doesnt matter what gender or age he is asked to coach. the kids get better and really learn the game. Hope he sticks around a few more years for the good of greene sports.

Guest STAC-FAN

Jim Norris and Corgel were mentioned 1 time while you idiots talk about an OK coach at ME who is way to young to even consider in the same sentence as half of these coaches... Jim Norris in my opinion was the best and will forever be the best coach in the area until one of his players/ students gets into coaching. He is the best at what he does

That ok coach you mentioned did one hell of a job yesterday trying to show young men the consequences of using poor judgement and coaching an honorable mentioned team shorthanded to a victory over a state ranked team on their home court not a bad days work

Guest STAC-FAN

Jim Norris and Corgel were mentioned 1 time while you idiots talk about an OK coach at ME who is way to young to even consider in the same sentence as half of these coaches... Jim Norris in my opinion was the best and will forever be the best coach in the area until one of his players/ students gets into coaching. He is the best at what he does

That ok coach you mentioned did one hell of a job yesterday trying to show young men the consequences of using poor judgement and coaching an honorable mentioned team shorthanded to a victory over a state ranked team on their home court not a bad days work

I might have agreed with you until I heard 1 of the kids punishment was to miss 1/2 the game. That is completely BS and chicken$h****. Either the kid did something deserving of being punished or not. Either suspend him for a whole game or not at all. The guy is a decent coach but if you're using last night as an example of why he's great you're on the wrong path.

Guest fact checker

I might have agreed with you until I heard 1 of the kids punishment was to miss 1/2 the game. That is completely BS and chicken$h****. Either the kid did something deserving of being punished or not. Either suspend him for a whole game or not at all. The guy is a decent coach but if you're using last night as an example of why he's great you're on the wrong path.

it would be nice if you considered the ..facts...before impugning..the inquisition was gone.before you resserected it..different crimes result in different punishments..this seems to be a basis for our system..the kids had different degrees of wrong doing..some sat a whole game..some a half..you dare say this is chicken...pray tell how and why?..maine endwell win last night was expected??.. do to the circumstances of course not.... you do not want to give the coach his due??..your judgement is questionable.. the coaches judgement ,should not be..especially by the likes of you...

Personally the kid did not deserve to even sit the entire half. There are many factors that went into the situation, and it was very confusing. There is no real way of punishing the kid because he did nothing against school rules for just attending the party and not drinking, so it was left to the coaches judgment. The school actually suspended some of the players, while the coach who could've done nothing decided to suspend them for a half game. I don't see how one can insult him for this. The kids crimes were not severe enough for a whole game in my opinion not even for a half, but all that matters is ME won and we will see them play a talented Norwich team. Should be a good one Sunday.

it would be nice if you considered the ..facts...before impugning..the inquisition was gone.before you resserected it..different crimes result in different punishments..this seems to be a basis for our system..the kids had different degrees of wrong doing..some sat a whole game..some a half..you dare say this is chicken...pray tell how and why?..maine endwell win last night was expected??.. do to the circumstances of course not.... you do not want to give the coach his due??..your judgement is questionable.. the coaches judgement ,should not be..especially by the likes of you...

I'll stand by my original post. First of all, the fact you refer to a kids actions as "crimes" tells me all I need to know about your level of maturity. While a kid having a beer is probably technically a crime, it just sounds stupid in this context. Either the kid broke a rule or he didn't. If he did, suspending for half a game is chicken$h***t. If he didn't, he shouldn't have been punished at all. I never claimed to know the facts, he either violated a rule or he didn't. Feel free to question my judgement, I really don't care.

Personally the kid did not deserve to even sit the entire half. There are many factors that went into the situation, and it was very confusing. There is no real way of punishing the kid because he did nothing against school rules for just attending the party and not drinking, so it was left to the coaches judgment. The school actually suspended some of the players, while the coach who could've done nothing decided to suspend them for a half game. I don't see how one can insult him for this. The kids crimes were not severe enough for a whole game in my opinion not even for a half, but all that matters is ME won and we will see them play a talented Norwich team. Should be a good one Sunday.

If he didn't break any rules, he shouldn't have been punished. Something tells me he coach might now be as sure as you are that he didn't break any. Sounds to me like he had some questions about it.

Guest fact checker

I'll stand by my original post. First of all, the fact you refer to a kids actions as "crimes" tells me all I need to know about your level of maturity. While a kid having a beer is probably technically a crime, it just sounds stupid in this context. Either the kid broke a rule or he didn't. If he did, suspending for half a game is chicken$h***t. If he didn't, he shouldn't have been punished at all. I never claimed to know the facts, he either violated a rule or he didn't. Feel free to question my judgement, I really don't care.

You are foolish enough to opine on a situation you readily admit that you don't have the facts..you call a respected educator ...coach..names because you disagree with his judgement..we can assume he has the facts of...and you proudly assert..i know not of what I speak..me thinks one of us is years more mature than the other...now ..tell us the level of my maturity that you have astutely determined by my assertion that a crime was committed...Webster..youve no doubt heard of him states a crime is... a senseless act.that can result in punishment...clear enough ..even if you do not care... some of the kids actions were determined to be more severe( in the context of what went on..teen age drinking) than what others did... hence the difference in punishment..fyi..the coach has handled similar problems in the past ..he is not afraid to bench players..stars or not..you should not be questioning his intelligence and most certainly not his integrity...

You are foolish enough to opine on a situation you readily admit that you don't have the facts..you call a respected educator ...coach..names because you disagree with his judgement..we can assume he has the facts of...and you proudly assert..i know not of what I speak..me thinks one of us is years more mature than the other...now ..tell us the level of my maturity that you have astutely determined by my assertion that a crime was committed...Webster..youve no doubt heard of him states a crime is... a senseless act.that can result in punishment...clear enough ..even if you do not care... some of the kids actions were determined to be more severe( in the context of what went on..teen age drinking) than what others did... hence the difference in punishment..fyi..the coach has handled similar problems in the past ..he is not afraid to bench players..stars or not..you should not be questioning his intelligence and most certainly not his integrity...

You sir, are nowhere near as smart as you think you are but I know the chance you'll ever realize that are slim and none. Enjoy your illusions of grandeur. Meanwhile, I'll continue to have opinions about this coach or others. I'm just curious, you didn't by chance stop by the local pub on the way home did you?

Guest fact checker

You sir, are nowhere near as smart as you think you are but I know the chance you'll ever realize that are slim and none. Enjoy your illusions of grandeur. Meanwhile, I'll continue to have opinions about this coach or others. I'm just curious, you didn't by chance stop by the local pub on the way home did you?

Notradomas...how smart do you think...I think I am??..you kind master are allowed any and all opines you want..it would be better if you had your facts straight..before opining..but suit yourself..my thought process is not inhibited by the spirits, nor speaking without knowing of what I speak...

Archived