Who is the best local basketball coach

Guest Guest 1

• Replies 277
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ocker doesnt sub and runs the score up every chance he can. Something to be said about wimning with class.

In summer league? False. He plays every single kid who shows up. In Varsity basketball? Also false. I've been to most every game and he hasn't ran up the score. Now in JV football, he has been destroying teams for the past 5 years or so. No one seems to be able to even give him a game with the exception of UE once.

Guest Jay Bilas

In summer league? False. He plays every single kid who shows up. In Varsity basketball? Also false. I've been to most every game and he hasn't ran up the score. Now in JV football, he has been destroying teams for the past 5 years or so. No one seems to be able to even give him a game with the exception of UE once.

I surrender. You win. Ocker is John Wooden, Norman Dale, Vince Lombardi and Casey Stengle all rolled into one. All other coaches should forfeit now, in advance, all games in all sports that the latest Sparent Apparent might coach in, watch, or read about int he paper. :wacko:

Guest Guest

Who cares about summer league, you should play everybody. Varsity he plays 6 maybe 7 kids in 95 percent of the games. Been doing it for yrs.

Its varsity basketball, not CYO. Best players play, the others support and play when they get a chance. Simple as that.

Guest Guest

I surrender. You win. Ocker is John Wooden, Norman Dale, Vince Lombardi and Casey Stengle all rolled into one. All other coaches should forfeit now, in advance, all games in all sports that the latest Sparent Apparent might coach in, watch, or read about int he paper.

People who respond with things such as this really have nothing else to say because they know they're honestly wrong. Get a life and make a legit argument, then back it up.

Guest Jay Bilas

People who respond with things such as this really have nothing else to say because they know they're honestly wrong. Get a life and make a legit argument, then back it up.

Look, Mrs. Ocker, your husband is a good and dedicated coach. We get it. Did you know teams go to camps and play in summer leagues that AREN'T in Binghamton? There is life outside of this area. You saying he's awesome because you see him whenever YOU go to gyms is irrelevant. Like saying someone eats McDonald's every day because you see them there so often.

I'd take Sinicki, Collier, Mackey as being on par or better than Ocker. Abbott became a good coach over time up at Norwich. They SUCKED in the mid-late 80s when he took over. Then he got a cycle of EXCELLENT athletes and dedicated ball players, and won back to back STAC, Section 4 and NYSPHSAA titles, and one Federation title. Was he the best coach then or was it some decent coaching combined with superior talent? We may never know.

All of this is subjective, and your particular crush is Ocker. He's a good coach. I am nowhere near wrong. People who tell others so definitively that "they have nothing else to say because they know they're honestly wrong" are by the same logic entirely incapable of facing the flaws and fallacies of their own position.

Ocker= good coach with superior talent. Ocker does not = best coach in the league, outside of your opinion.

I guess the SV coach is suddenly good since they won so much after years of ineptitude. The sudden appearance of dominant height with some decent talent had nothing to do with it.

Take of the blue and gold glasses, Sparty.

Guest bball-guest

Ocker is a fine young Coach....I know Mackey puts a ton, a ton of time in the "off season" Coaching and working and travleing with kids as well.

As far as the game between Norwich and M-E....M-E should win everytime....the fact that Norwich gave M-E such a difficult time is proof that Collier is a heck of a Coach....it the Coaches switched teams....M-E would win by 20.

Guest guest

Look, Mrs. Ocker, your husband is a good and dedicated coach. We get it. Did you know teams go to camps and play in summer leagues that AREN'T in Binghamton? There is life outside of this area. You saying he's awesome because you see him whenever YOU go to gyms is irrelevant. Like saying someone eats McDonald's every day because you see them there so often.

I'd take Sinicki, Collier, Mackey as being on par or better than Ocker. Abbott became a good coach over time up at Norwich. They SUCKED in the mid-late 80s when he took over. Then he got a cycle of EXCELLENT athletes and dedicated ball players, and won back to back STAC, Section 4 and NYSPHSAA titles, and one Federation title. Was he the best coach then or was it some decent coaching combined with superior talent? We may never know.

All of this is subjective, and your particular crush is Ocker. He's a good coach. I am nowhere near wrong. People who tell others so definitively that "they have nothing else to say because they know they're honestly wrong" are by the same logic entirely incapable of facing the flaws and fallacies of their own position.

Ocker= good coach with superior talent. Ocker does not = best coach in the league, outside of your opinion.

I guess the SV coach is suddenly good since they won so much after years of ineptitude. The sudden appearance of dominant height with some decent talent had nothing to do with it.

I don''t normally respond to these things but this guy is so right. Is it exceptional coaching or a group of talent that came through? It looks like Maine Endwell will be on a streak in sports for a few years, but their reign will end too as all others have in the past. (Vestal UE) I would say an exceptional coach is someone who can take a group of nobodys and turn them into somebodys. That is not the case at ME this year in football or basketball. That being said, it is nothinig against the coach he is a great guy. Lets jus see what happens when the well runs dry, but for now enjoy the hell out of it!!

Guest slammin'

You guys are funny...barking back and forth about how this guy does this and that guy does that...so hes better, no he's better, no he is because...whatever. Obviuosly, if Coach Ockers name has been mentioned soooo much, he must be doing something right. A coach once said.."anything you do, is better than doing nothing." If he is doing his best, and "doing", than he is doing his job. I haven't heard much said about him being a bad coach..just people saying "it's not him, it's the talent he has." Probably some truth to that...but don't you think he's had some input into those kids talent development. That is why he runs a good program over there..not just team development. Who are your other options at "best" I do not hear other names any more, just barking. I guess the answer to the origional thread question has been answered then...it must be Ocker, with many other good ones as well. OK,,,I'll buy that. (and I'm not a ME fan or friend) ME is pretty lucky to have found a quality, young coach who puts in the time he does so the kids, community and fans have something to be proud of. A lot of jealous haters out there.

Guest guest

Why is every time some one puts an obsevation out there , they are a hater? Can it be just their opinion as you have yours? What makes you so right? Ocker is a dedicated coach, runs a good program, but.....has been lucky with the talent this he has. I beleive many other coaches could have the same record given the same talent. So nothinhg to do with hating, but....ususlly when some writes not a ME fan or friend...count on a Sparent. LOL

Guest guest

Suggestion: How about creating a list of the Top Five high school basketball coaches in the area. Arguing about the number one position is getting ridiculas.

Guest guest

Suggestion: How about creating a list of the Top Five high school basketball coaches in the area. Arguing about the number one position is getting ridiculas.

"ridiculous", that is.

Guest Guest

1. Ocker

2. Sinicki

3. Collier

4. Tony Lindsey if he counts(Mackey if not)

5. Alger

This is probably close. You can't include Tony Lindsey (in my opinion) and I also wouldn't include Alger. I would add the guy at Elmira ND and maybe the guy at Sidney.

Guest Guest

This is probably close. You can't include Tony Lindsey (in my opinion) and I also wouldn't include Alger. I would add the guy at Elmira ND and maybe the guy at Sidney.

I would add Hopkins from Notre Dame over Alger and say that's good for now.

Guest fact checker

Whatever. Way to throw out a statement that you can't verify or prove. Do you go to the Y in Norwich? To the courts in Oneonta? How do you know Ocker spends more time than anyone else? Listen, he's a good coach. But a brain damaged monkey could win with the talented athletes M-E is experiencing now. It's happened lots of times- Binghamton in the 80s, Norwich in the 90s. None of these area coaches are outstanding geniuses. They're all fairly equal. Mackey has had some good teams at Oneonta, but without the horses lately, they've struggled.

IF, and I mean IF, Ocker stays another 5-10 years and sustains this level of program dominance over his peers, then fine, he's the best in STAC.

Like playing talent, the coaching talent ain't what it used to be either.

Neither is the commentary...the post is suppose to be about ..current coaches...read the thread...should I hesitate...one so quick to question others mental capacity...very few coaches in ...any...sport ..at ..any level ..win consistently..let alone win championships..without the ..horses..does not take your genious..to know that..who has sustained this kind of season...18 wins..2.loses..metro..yes that is metro div. champion...stac champion...sect 4 champion..most have not even achieved that type of season..and you feel it should be sustained for ten years...are you nuts?... cut the program some slack..give the coach and his team what they most certainly earned this season...our respect...quit making the foolish commentary about how great ..yesteryears were...we were asked about TODAYS COACHES....

Guest you say what/

I don''t normally respond to these things but this guy is so right. Is it exceptional coaching or a group of talent that came through? It looks like Maine Endwell will be on a streak in sports for a few years, but their reign will end too as all others have in the past. (Vestal UE) I would say an exceptional coach is someone who can take a group of nobodys and turn them into somebodys. That is not the case at ME this year in football or basketball. That being said, it is nothinig against the coach he is a great guy. Lets jus see what happens when the well runs dry, but for now enjoy the hell out of it!!

Why don't you tell us who has won more, go look it up. Last 5 yrs, who won more M-E or Norwich. And 80 kids is a lot when your talking only 400-500 but that kind of math is probably over your head. You entire message can be summed up with blaming a loss on an officials call. Tells us all we need to know about your thinking.

.The nfl has their wonderlick....I have my duh..for you ...mis guided one...Norwich plays...cv,,,cf..sv...Windsor....me plays...bingo...tigers...bears..horseheads..WHO..should win more?...

Guest Hoops fan

I guess back-to-back sectional titles with no height and players totally unsuited to the standard NHS dribble-drive offense is an example of poor coaching. Norwich had no business being in the STAC championship or Sectional championship game according to all the area arm chair coaches, especially after losing Abbott last year in such a sudden and tumultous way. Yet I do believe they're now the reigning two-time Section 4 Class B champs. Without the talent- and height- of this year's Spartans, they managed to pull off a pretty impressive season and gave M-E a serious challenge.

Hats off to Norwich. I thought this would be Sus Valley's year, and they were a decent team to be sure, but it's been a fun year to travel to the gyms of STAC.

Guest Guest

.The nfl has their wonderlick....I have my duh..for you ...mis guided one...Norwich plays...cv,,,cf..sv...Windsor....me plays...bingo...tigers...bears..horseheads..WHO..should win more?...

"Duh" pretty well sums you up. Go back and read genius. The question was, head to head, who's won more in he past 5 yrs? M-E or Norwich?

Guest Guest

I guess back-to-back sectional titles with no height and players totally unsuited to the standard NHS dribble-drive offense is an example of poor coaching. Norwich had no business being in the STAC championship or Sectional championship game according to all the area arm chair coaches, especially after losing Abbott last year in such a sudden and tumultous way. Yet I do believe they're now the reigning two-time Section 4 Class B champs. Without the talent- and height- of this year's Spartans, they managed to pull off a pretty impressive season and gave M-E a serious challenge.

Hats off to Norwich. I thought this would be Sus Valley's year, and they were a decent team to be sure, but it's been a fun year to travel to the gyms of STAC.

Norwicj first off is a pretty talented team. Edwards and Sutton are both solid players. Secondly their division is TERRIBLE SO they reall only had to play a decent Elmira team to get into the STAC championship, and honestly, you'll applaud them for beating Whitney Point? That's a joke. ME is the only team that plays a tough schedule and is a smaller school. Just stating facts.

Archived