Johnson City becoming dangerous

Guest watchdog

Guest watchdog

Last night as I was leaving a friends on Grand Ave, at 9:15pm, I drove by the goodwill theater and the jc police had a pedestrian stopped and were searching him for drugs and weapons. Recently on Willow St. A fight broke out between the jc police and local citizens, and now they are suing the police dept.

Several stores on Main St. have closed. Some have been closed for years. Others are moving to Binghamton. It is not a positive outlook. What business's are left will surely be doomed by the new wal-mart.

I remember going to jc in the 70's with my grandmother. It sure was alot nicer then.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not necessarily becoming dangerous, it is more like a three ring circus. Bad reports about the police, bad reports and actions of the firemen, the mayor speaking when he shouldn't and not speaking when he should and hiding facts from the public. No, it's not dangerous it is just disappointing living in the laughing stock of the county.

Richard Shaw

Johnson City

when i was there for an event on Mardi Gras party last tuesday, the police were outside when i got there and when i left. I commend Niamia for trying to do something constructive instead of just complaining like some people on here.

Guest arts devotee
when i was there for an event on Mardi Gras party last tuesday, the police were outside when i got there and when i left. I commend Niamia for trying to do something constructive instead of just complaining like some people on here.

Bravo! Bravo!

Encore! Encore!

With Johnson City becoming dangerous, the solution is .............................. disolve the goverment. That way it can take 20 minutes for the Sheriff to respond instead of the local police department responding in 5. (sarcasm)

Think about it before you comment.

I commend Niamia for trying to do something constructive instead of just complaining like some people on here.

It's nice that someone is doing something constructive but unfortunate that they allow their project to get turned into symbol of political disagreement. By keeping Ed around and tollerating his nonsense it's turned the Willow Theater into the Ryan anti-project. It's what people rail against when Ed exercises his bitterness at her being trounced by the Democrats. It's become a symbol of Republican sandbagging and hypocracy. So long as Ed continues his rants, hatred and insults the theater will never be good enough. It'll be a point of negative energy and a lightning rod to discharge the static Ed raises. I don't go there because of Ed and know many others who don't as well including people in the arts community. One person told me that she was so disgusted by Ed's use of a vajayjay slang term and his derogatory use of lebianism as an insult that she won't touch a related Naima project again. I'm personally more insulted by his insinuation that everyone who didn't vote for his viewpoint is a fool deserving of crime and misery.

Guest former JCer

JC had even has the potential to be a diamond among BC's jewels, but because of GOP politics it has become a benchmark for failed conservative small town governments. The old men and "business" buds in charge care only about increasing their incomes and keep everything just the way it is. Under pataki, the state picked up huge chunks of the municipal tab, and passed it off on this and that. Well it is time to pay up and the podunks in charge have no idea what to do.

They are so close minded that can't even come up with new ideas. What Republican wants to change. As far as they and their bank account is concerned everything is fine..... Well it isn't so fine basshoe. And look at who elects these men of the community into office. JC voters are two to three steps off the boat from some eastern european backwater. You would think there would be new residents willing to change. I would chalk the recent push for dissolution a sign of protest and disgust with Harry and his buddies. Good for them. Too bad H. Lewis and co. will stall ( and they have) until some other good ole boy gets in or these true patriots give up.

Who wouldn't take a small risk of being mugged, stabbed or shot for the opportunity of hearing Naima warble in Ed's Grand Opera House.

Here Johnson City has turned into "Little Harlem", especially between Main Street & including Floral Avenue. What we need to clean the garbage out of JC is a local chapter of the Guardian Angels, headed by Curtis Sliwa. They would assist in cleaning up the sewage that the local Police has been unable or unwilling to do. Maybe the police would show up if it was announced that tryouts for Playgirl Centerfold calendars would be held in JC. Sponsored by Dunkin' Donuts.

Seriously, get the Angels in here. They'd be happy to assist in any adjustments of attitudes that may be needed.

Johnson City sure isn't what it used to be.
Remember the pavilion at floral park that was torn down by the mini gangsters along with the pool house. Ya know the stuff we grew up with. Itll just be a matter of time before the new stuff gets destroyed by the little creeps that keep spawning all along floral, baldwin,etc

Remember the pavilion at floral park that was torn down by the mini gangsters along with the pool house. Ya know the stuff we grew up with. Itll just be a matter of time before the new stuff gets destroyed by the little creeps that keep spawning all along floral, baldwin,etc

Floral and the other streets are disgusting havens for scumbags and alleged gang members. Anyone remember when the news crew was attacked? The "outrage" they felt? Good to see they actually did something about it, huh? As far as the cops go, I've been here for many many years, and I have never seen a police force more reluctant to arrest real criminals and black folks. Unless, of course, they are making the perp up to cover a failed insurance scam. I'll say it again, street justice with no repricussions would do us a world of good. Take back our streets I say!

Floral and the other streets are disgusting havens for scumbags and alleged gang members. Anyone remember when the news crew was attacked? The "outrage" they felt? Good to see they actually did something about it, huh? As far as the cops go, I've been here for many many years, and I have never seen a police force more reluctant to arrest real criminals and black folks. Unless, of course, they are making the perp up to cover a failed insurance scam. I'll say it again, street justice with no repricussions would do us a world of good. Take back our streets I say!
Ya know I forgot about the news crew thing, Come to think of it they are one group of the same scum bags that trashed the park. They live right across from the park entrance. Gone are the days that if you got caught screwing off you got your DELETED kicked by whoever it was that saw you do it and then DELETED kiked by your parents. Boy I hated it then but it makes alot more sence now. Last year my son came home from school (JC) and said "Yo what up pops" My reaction was to get out the dictonary put it in front of him and say" You find what you just said to me in the dictonary. Till then dont you ever talk to me like that again". Really its not his falt he was only 7 and its what he hears every day. If I ever said any thing like that to my father I wouldnt have teeth. We dont need street justice just parents that are cncerned about more than just free befor 11pm at the club. And less havin kids for more welfare benifits. IE the Copp family.

I never really ever went to that park....I'd used to either go to CFJ park or Greensfield. Main reason was I used to live on the North side of JC, so they were close to my house.

This whole thing is a chain

The skum from nyc comes to binghamton to sell/then that skum spreads to endicott which then spreads to jc and other places

Boy do I agree with you on this one. I have lived in JC for over 13 years and grew up in Binghamton and you definitely can see how it all rolls over.

Guest LaKooneshia
This whole thing is a chain

The skum from nyc comes to binghamton to sell/then that skum spreads to endicott which then spreads to jc and other places

Correct. The single best indicator (according to the US goverment ,the same people who write the welfare checks) for how dangerous and crime

ridden a area has become is the number of blacks in that area. It is a directly proportional relationship. Just look around Bingo and you can

see that it is true.

Guest JC Resident

JC as a whole isn't a bad place, just certain areas. I hate it when people think that one area of JC reflects the village as a whole. The northside is fine, as is the Riverside Drive area and Westover. However, the Main Street/Floral Ave. area is and has been a ghetto for quite some time. This isn't a recent development - it's been that way since I moved to JC in the early 90's, and was probably that way years before then. Wherever there are cheap, run-down apartments, you will find trash and crime. Fix up the properties, raise the rents, and the unsavory residents will leave. Easier said than done, but that's what's got to happen.

Jc is somewhat i nice area but where this problem lies in in two area's

1- ALL the drug dealers moving to binghamton and JC from NYC and using the area as a meeting place and exchange port for drugs and sex and other crap...then these dealers get the local women pregnant and their kids come around and their fathers(thats if they know who their fathers are) are growing in numbers and taking over the population of JC

2- Have you seen the children in JC these days, I was driving down grand ave yesterday and all you see is the kids fighting in the streets and throwing snowballs at cars and the few elderly people that live in this area....this spot is the biggest between Grand and Floral from lusk st to willow st area's. That whole area has become a run down trash spot where all the drugs and violence comes from in JC

So lets not sit here and complain about how the Police and Fireman dont do anything...its the fact that the police are just giving up why should they waste their time fighting drug related violence when all they need to do is sit back and let them shoot and stab eachother to death.....and the rest of the people need to start teaching their kids some damn respect and to make them dress like humans not the porch monkeys and the kids that are white thinking their black...its getting old folks..your white and your LAME!!!! Get a job you drain of society and make something of yourself for once and just not waste our money and time

Archived