2016 Section 4 Football - classification lineup

Section4Mike

Here's where the schools fall next autumn.

The only class for certain that will have divisions is Class D.

Class B (with 9 teams), could go two divisions, or stay one 9-team division playing a round-robin schedule.

I believe teams do still have the option to play up a class when near a cutoff point, but the Section must approve. (M-E could stay up like they did in 2005)

2016 Section IV Football ~ Class AA

Binghamton

Corning

Elmira

Horseheads

Ithaca

2016 Section IV Football ~ Class A

Johnson City

Union-Endicott

Vestal

2016 Section IV Football ~ Class B (9 teams)

Chenango Forks

Chenango Valley

Dryden

Maine-Endwell

Norwich

Owego

Susquehanna Valley

Waverly

Windsor

2016 Section IV Football ~ Class C

Lansing

Newark Valley

Oneonta

Watkins Glen

Whitney Point

2016 Section IV Football ~ Class D (19 teams)

Bainbridge-Guilford

Candor

Delhi/Charlotte Valley

Deposit/Hancock
Greene

Groton

Harpursville/Afton

Moravia

Newfield
Notre Dame

Oxford
Seton CC

Sidney
Spencer-Van Etten

Thomas A. Edison

Tioga
Unadilla Valley

Unatego/Franklin

Walton

Although they typically play a one above, one below schedule... Class B could actually play every team in the Class in the eight week schedule... I wouldn't be a fan of that but it's possible I suppose...

So with Class A only having three teams, it will be interesting to see what kind of schedule they play.

I already heard for the class A sectionals the top team will get a bye the first week.

This will change in the future as schools hopefully begin to merge or dissolve. My husband and I remember a time before some of those districts existed, and it seems to me the enrollments are now lower than or equal to what they were back in our time. I recall relatives up in the Oneonta and Sidney areas that played 6 or 8 man football. The Hubby thinks that a return to that game may help save football at some of the smaller schools.

It would obviously be good to keep the programs afloat but I don't think colleges would likely take 7 man etc very seriously recruiting wise, i.e.... It is a heck of a lot easier to bang 200 yds/game when there are 5 less guys trying to tackle you.

Archived