Police thwart 3-4 mass shooting threats

ginger

3 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

So, I did read this, and the author makes some pretty serious allegations that his house was raided under the red flag law over a meme and a generally bad personality, and that the content about mass shootings was invented by the media.

Here's the problem: the author is almost completely misrepresenting the facts behind the arrest.

According to the search warrant, Wagshol has been having run-ins with law enforcement since 2008, including threatening to shoot classmates and posting about wanting to carry out mass killings. The search warrant was issued because he had tried to enlist a relative as an accomplice to a felony, asking for help acquiring large capacity magazines from a spoofed phone number. That relative then turned him in, fearing that Wagshol was finally about to do what they all always thought he was going to do.

In other words, whatever you think about red flag laws, his house wasn't raided for posting something creepy on Facebook. The FBI was given specific, credible information by a member of his own family that he was trying to commit a crime, and the search warrant was based on a large amount of information from a long history pieced together by the resulting investigation.

https://www.thehour.com/news/article/Warrant-I-ll-make-Virginia-Tech-look-like-14374199.php

The guy also had some kind of weird meltdown in 2018 where he created a Twitter account and posted 63 times in three days, mostly to the FBI. This is somebody who probably should been adjudicated mentally ill and barred from access to firearms a long, long time ago.

https://twitter.com/wagshol_brandon

And all that justifies the government stealing his fathers property? Good morning Stalin.

1 hour ago, 19April1775 said:

And all that justifies the government stealing his fathers property? Good morning Stalin.

It isn't "stolen", it's evidence. That's what the warrant was for. Sucks that he turned his dad's apartment into a crime scene, but just because it's legally his father's doesn't mean it isn't "his" for practical purposes or otherwise relevant to the case. It should be returned when it's no longer needed, just like anything else. Criminals do routinely borrow things from people or put things under other peoples' names trying to cover their tracks and that's exactly what he was trying to do that got him reported to the FBI in the first place.

As an aside, this guy's up for four counts and has a history. If he makes bail, odds are that he wouldn't be able to go home until there were no guns he could access in the house anyway. If he's convicted, he may never be able to live in the same house as his father's gun collection without worrying about it turning into constructive possession. At best there'll probably be no choice but to keep everything locked up tight under the father's control. Catching a felony is a mess.

12 hours ago, Bingoloid said:

It isn't "stolen", it's evidence. That's what the warrant was for. Sucks that he turned his dad's apartment into a crime scene, but just because it's legally his father's doesn't mean it isn't "his" for practical purposes or otherwise relevant to the case. It should be returned when it's no longer needed, just like anything else. Criminals do routinely borrow things from people or put things under other peoples' names trying to cover their tracks and that's exactly what he was trying to do that got him reported to the FBI in the first place.

As an aside, this guy's up for four counts and has a history. If he makes bail, odds are that he wouldn't be able to go home until there were no guns he could access in the house anyway. If he's convicted, he may never be able to live in the same house as his father's gun collection without worrying about it turning into constructive possession. At best there'll probably be no choice but to keep everything locked up tight under the father's control. Catching a felony is a mess.

Well all I know is property rights along with free speech and the freedom to protect yourself are probably the 3 most important pillars in a truly free country. I'm quite shocked so many of you seem so willing to roll over so easy. Incrementalism is an effective weapon of America's enemies and more people are under its spell than I thought.

75 It's no secret I have a problem with people having weapons in their homes that are clueless about safety. When I had a FB account, you would not believe some of the things people wrote...people with children. Children and guns and no response-able adult. 

Good thing President Trump has security. He clearly never had ANY weapons training. Going back to my original post...the police in California have to fill out a report every time they point a weapon at a person...If you POINT your weapon you'd better pull the trigger. North Korea had better watch itself, and I really don't appreciate China having their weapons pointed at me either.

added comment---President Trump did have training at military school. I wonder what happened there?

Edited by ginger
added comment

23 hours ago, 19April1775 said:

Well all I know is property rights along with free speech and the freedom to protect yourself are probably the 3 most important pillars in a truly free country. I'm quite shocked so many of you seem so willing to roll over so easy. Incrementalism is an effective weapon of America's enemies and more people are under its spell than I thought.

I get where you're coming from, but I'm just not sure what you think happened. The blogger who originally promoted the sensational fake version of this was seemingly quoting the defense attorney only.

The police had evidence a felony was being committed, found a long history to back it up, and got a warrant, which is what they are supposed to do.

We don't know why the property registered to the father was seized. Every article - and the son's defense attorney - point out that the father is an avid gun hobbyist. I doubt this was his entire collection, but these specific items fell under the scope of the warrant.

In addition, I'd point out that CT's emergency risk warrant law appears to require that the hearing be held quickly - within two weeks - and provides that the owner may request that the property be entrusted to any lawful owner rather than the police/court for safekeeping.

Known nutcase got arrested because his father never got him help and ending up with a hassle of his own because he didn't have the sense to keep his own rifle away from the guy. Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Had this guy adjudicated mentally ill - and based in his Twitter, I have to wonder if he's bipolar - it would have had the same result: it would have been a felony for him to have constructive possession of any of his father's guns.

Will have to try and not forget about the case and see how it plays out I guess. As mentally ill as the left has shown itself to be I am very leery of giving them a fraction of an inch even.