Teachers can buy a house for half price. You and I pay the rest.

PeteMoss

So that's why some run down shack in the Catskills was going for $300,000. I wouldn't have paid $16,000 for it...I wish I could find the photo...you would have cringed seeing this listing.

There are FHA max mtg amts for all counties, and a HUD home is a previously financed FHA F/C.

There is also a side effect from COVID that people from the NYC area are scrambling to buy houses upstate, which is the probable explanation for that property in the Catskills. Plus, how much land came with it, and where exactly was it located? 

I have local family members that are possibly fixing to sell, after seeing neighbors getting $50k+ over asking price.

Toup. they tried to market it as an historic property...there was no land...it looked like a run down shack you would see by a railway and it was maybe 6 inches away from some building. I wish I could recall what town it was in. Downstate is so dumpy...tons, of what looks like abandoned property.