Amateur Hour: Bing. City Council illegally names Deputy City Clerk

Court Watch

For a group who claim to be concerned with transparency and following the letter of the law, the new all Democrat City Council could use a few lessons. 

Last night at their organizational meeting the Binghamton City Council allowed the new City Clerk, Sarah Dinhofer, to nominate the Deputy City Clerk.  The City Clerk is not a voting member of the legislative body, and can't make nominations.  And, the nomination did not receive a SECOND by a member of Council before the roll call vote. The appointment of the Deputy Clerk was illegal, as she was not nominated or seconded by a member of the council. 

For the record, the new City Clerk, Sarah Dinhofer, is the Vice Chair of the Broome County Democratic Committee. So much for keeping politics out of the clerk's office. 

While the candidate may be able to work in that position provisionally, the vote was illegal.  Council would have to recall that appointment and vote again, or just take a new vote.  But it goes to show this group of people didn't do their homework, and don't know what they're doing. 

I'll tell you one thing, all the female employees at city hall are safer without sexual predator Giovanni Scaringi on City Council.  It's really sad he used his position on council to pressure city hall staffers to date him.

OK, now you have my attention. I had great hope for this group from diverse backgrounds but now I see diversity and TEAMWORK does not include Republicans or conservatives,as if they have nothing to offer. It takes all kinds of people to get things done. That's why they call it BEST PRACTICES.

Here's what I have to say to the new city council. YOU ARE NOT ALL THAT. You have zero scope of experience...as evidenced by this blunder. 

I hope Mayor Kraham addresses this in an appropriate manner.

On 1/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, Tammy Dodson said:

Kinya Middleton and the city council are doing a great job. Lots of residents are already urging Kinya to run for mayor. 

By next month they will have had a couple of meetings. Doubtlessly lots of residents will be calling for Kinya to be on the presidential ticket.

43 minutes ago, Solak Supporter said:

By next month they will have had a couple of meetings. Doubtlessly lots of residents will be calling for Kinya to be on the presidential ticket.

It'll be interesting to see how many puppets were elected. 

On 1/4/2024 at 10:04 PM, Tammy Dodson said:

Kinya Middleton and the city council are doing a great job. Lots of residents are already urging Kinya to run for mayor. 

Only seven days in office, just one organizational meeting, and it’s Kinya for mayor already.

The magnetism, the charisma; positively electrifying and visionary. Gold will pave Binghamton’s streets by year’s end!  

Nobel prize around the corner?

Well I see city council has zero interest in diversity of scope of knowledge, experience or ideas. Nevermind, zero representation for an entire segment of our city. Think that's appropriate? It's not. Not for this city. It's not neighborly at all. I just heard the case will be taken up by the courts so that will cost time and money too. Way to make friends with your mayor, on day one. 

4 hours ago, SU75 said:

Tarik is firmly in control of the Binghamton City Council.  He stood with Rebecca Rathmell when she was sworn in Friday night. 

I knew it. I didn't think Emily was lying when she stated Tariq wanted her to run for council as his proxy.

12 minutes ago, ginger said:

Well I see city council has zero interest in diversity of scope of knowledge, experience or ideas. Nevermind, zero representation for an entire segment of our city. Think that's appropriate? It's not. Not for this city. It's not neighborly at all. I just heard the case will be taken up by the courts so that will cost time and money too. Way to make friends with your mayor, on day one. 

By the time any lawsuit is resolved it will almost be time for the special election to fill the vacancy the 2023 election tie caused.