Weis closing Conklin Ave store

thomas

The Weis Market on Conklin Avenue in Binghamton will close on or around March 2. The closure of a full service grocery could create another food desert in the City of Binghamton.

A spokesman for the Sunbury, Pennsylvania based supermarket chain would not disclose the specific reasoning behind the closing.

n92JEmR.jpeg

WIVT Binghamton photo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/weis-closing-conklin-ave-store-creating-food-desert-in-eastern-southside/ar-BB1hOmvM?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=4ba8079674364050ba330412790c85b4&ei=20

Town hall to discuss pending Binghamton food desert

Council President Hadassah Mativetsky and Majority Leader Kinya Middleton are hosting a town hall next Tuesday to discuss the burden on residents, especially those living in public housing at Saratoga Terrace and Saratoga Heights who rely on public transportation.

All community stakeholders and business leaders are invited to share their suggestions to address the situation. The meeting will take place in Council Chambers Tuesday at 6 p.m.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/town-hall-to-discuss-pending-binghamton-food-desert/ar-BB1i2yOV?ocid=hpmsn&cvid=2168a2bc49344d55b89ef6d22001a282&ei=24

1 hour ago, 2pelo Honey said:

Greaaat…are they going to impose a city-funded store so the thieves can steal from that, like they did on the north side?

Thank God we still at least have the Family Dollar store. I tend to shop there for my cleaning supplies and paper goods. They have dairy and frozen, bread. Those employees keep that store clean, organized and stocked. They are always cleaning when I go in there. I don't know how much they get paid but those girls rock! 

• 4 weeks later...