Who won cheerleading comp today?

Guest cheer

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
.. but if you look on press connects at the picture of CV doing pike tosses... the girl on the right should have had points deducted for her head dropping.

I was intrigued that this topic had 5 pages of replies, so I decided to read all the posts to see what was going on.

One thing that stood out is people saying the one picture of the CV girls shows the cheerleader on the right with her head below her waist.

As a neutral observer, I have to contest that observation. First, what defines "below the waist"? Is it the head completely and totally below the TOP of her waist or the bottom of her waist? Or, is it her head partially below the top or bottom of her waist?

Also coming into play is the fact that that particular photograph is not parallel to ground. The right side is about 1.3 degrees low off level, and if you raise that end of the photo to being level with the right side (look at the straight lines of the hockey-boards) it raises the girls head-area.

In either case, in the photo as supplied (with tilt) and blown-up, her head CLEARLY is not at all below the bottom of her waist and it is pretty much evenly distributed with the middle of her waist, maybe a little biased towards the bottom of her waist. If you correctly raise the right end of the photo, it's smack dab in the middle.

Still the question. What quantifies "below the waist"?

Also, there seems to be a major miscommunication of the rules here. I've noticed this before when reading about previous controversies with this competition, so it appears someone with authority had better take matters into their own hands and make sure all of the gray-areas are clarified and understood before the fall championships.

Just my 2 cents as a neutral party,

Wolf

People ask girls why they dont cheer anymore. and those girls will always answer, "because it just isn't fun anymore". Judges always want a "cookie cutter" ruiteen. and CV will always live up to that. They play it safe. and im not saying by any means that their ruiteens are never good.

Just trying to help so that you don't misspell it on an important piece of work like a job application or your bar exam. Since you did this about six times, I know it wasn't a typo.

The word is routine, not "ruiteen"

Just trying to help so that you don't misspell it on an important piece of work like a job application or your bar exam. Since you did this about six times, I know it wasn't a typo.

The word is routine, not "ruiteen"

Who cares, are we being graded?

I have NEVER seen the CV girls go over to Congratulate the U-E girls when U-E wins and CV comes in 2nd

number 1- in the fall when CV and UE tied, i clearly remember CV going over to UE and saying congrats.

number 2- UE, get over it. YOU LOST. its over and done with so stop complaining about it. You may have won if you didnt get those deductions but bottom line, you DID get deductions. so please, UE mom's and UE cheerleaders, get a life and just accept the fact that you lost.

number 3- CV, you did great and congrats. also a great job to JC and ME(:

Who cares, are we being graded?

Like I said, just trying to help.

You mean to tell me if you were continually misspelling a common word you would not want to know and LEARN the correct spelling? You really want to turn in a report to your boss with a word badly misspelled numerous times? Fine if you do, that's your choice, but I am just trying to help the person I replied to. It's not like anyone knows who the person is and they are now embarrassed.

Actually I have seen the score sheets from yesterdays comp and it IS about the head being THROWN BACK so far it is below the waist: And no I am not an idiot. Your name calling shows just what kind of a person you are. And by the way - "it's just a game" is also just a phrase - maybe you should learn what it means - it means deal with it - it is not the end of the world. By teaching your girls to whine about all these little details you are teaching them that life should be perfect.. that they should always get what they want. This is just like in the fall when the UE coach said in teh paper - WE deserved to win , adn teh CV coach said theywould proudly share the win with UE. You people really need to get off your high horses and teach your kids that they should be proud of thier performance, not knocking down others.

Okay..first of all UE did win STAC in teh fall, and so did CV...aka a TIE! Therefore the UE coach had the rigth to say they deserved to win because they did win, and they deserved what they got.

number 1- in the fall when CV and UE tied, i clearly remember CV going over to UE and saying congrats.

number 2- UE, get over it. YOU LOST. its over and done with so stop complaining about it. You may have won if you didnt get those deductions but bottom line, you DID get deductions. so please, UE mom's and UE cheerleaders, get a life and just accept the fact that you lost.

Actually, in the fall UE went over to CV and they said congrats to each other...but UE clearly made the inniative!

On Sunday every team in STAC went out there and showed off their hard work...and everyone did a great job...and the team that did the best in the judges eyes should of won..which was UE.

Anyone who watches UE'S routine CLEARLY saw it was the best...what other team can get second place with music messing up the beginning and 20 points deducted?...only UE!

UE is clearly above the STAC level if they can do tosses that their girls go so high they have enough time to throw their heads below their waists...now that is pure TALENT! I think the tosses were amazing!

Guest just a dad

UMMMM the reason there is a deduction for the head below the waist is because kids have been seriously injured in the past. My son just showed me on a UE cheerleaders facebook that those throws were posted by her and it is clear that two of them had heads below the waist.. even the girls who posted it and her freinds comment that it is true.

UE didn't lose. UE got second. second place is NOT losing. last place is losing. second place is a great spot to be at, but UE deserved better. I think everyone would agree that no, UE didn't have a PERFECT or FLAWLESS routine..but it was damn close. a hell of a lot closer to perfection than CV's routine. and i don't appriciate the comment about UE's routines being boring. CV comes to STAC every year with the same old Bon Jovi music, same stunts, same twists with no pop, same flexed feet, same dance moves. the only varied thing about CV this season was their black bodysuits as opposed to their old red ones. UE comes to STAC every year with a precise routine that no one can forget. that's called originality. UE's routines bring people to tears, stun, and amaze. Don't get me wrong, CV is a great squad. But UE is way out of their league. They're national material.

it doesnt matter if you have done a routine a million tims perfect during practice the judges only see one performance. It matters how you did and if you messed up your performance its your own fault, not the other teams.

Union Endicott cheerleaders are only mad because chenango valley took away their winter season title and now have a reputation for owning both first place titles during the year :D

What I don't understand, after watching this post (and the fan club post) grow to five pages...how come Mom and Dad are not more concerned with what the kids are doing in their down time? Instead of posting here, why not go to the downtown Binghamton bars when there's not school the next day?

Keep a tally there about how many kids that you know; instead of keeping track of how many crowd chants/cheerleading tosses were inappropriate/illegal. When you're done, THEN post about how outraged you are.

Hey, I have a good idea, how about you copy and paste identical posts on two different threads. Following your philosophy, you should be manning the suicide hotline or joining the Sisters of Mercy instead of posting on here.

But thanks for the input.

Now that I think of it, I guess I will go look and see how many other threads you posted your identical copy and paste words of wisdom on.

Thanks for geting our heads on straight there Albert Schweitzer.

Guest cheerleading parent
On Sunday every team in STAC went out there and showed off their hard work...and everyone did a great job...and the team that did the best in the judges eyes should of won..which was UE.

Anyone who watches UE'S routine CLEARLY saw it was the best...what other team can get second place with music messing up the beginning and 20 points deducted?...only UE!

UE is clearly above the STAC level if they can do tosses that their girls go so high they have enough time to throw their heads below their waists...now that is pure TALENT! I think the tosses were amazing!

I am a parent of a UE student. UE JV's and Varsity are considered one of the best, if not the best cheerleading team but on Sunday, they (Varsity) were 2nd. There mistakes outweighed their performance.

I am a parent of a UE student. UE JV's and Varsity are considered one of the best, if not the best cheerleading team but on Sunday, they (Varsity) were 2nd. There mistakes outweighed their performance.

Thank you. Finally a UE parent that gets it. Even the CV girls expected UE to be the class of the competition, but they made some mistakes. Unfortunately, it's a one-time deal.

Don't take away anything from any of the squads. They all did great and should be proud of their accomplishments. But all the comments about mistakes, boring routines, we deserve better, national material, etc. is simply not appropriate. And to have a coach come on BCV spouting off is simply unacceptable.

Guest UE grad alum

First off I don't know much about cheering however I have been involved with it from an outside perspective for several years. To take an approach as you have done in your argument is totally asinine. It was mentioned to me by someone who is close to the sport who knows about the technical details, that in fact CV (proof is in the pictures that were taken in the Press and Sun) also did the same exact thing that the one or several girls from UE did BUT they were not deducted points.

Commenting as you have and stating basically to UE parents and cheerleaders to just give it up and accept their defeat is the totally wrong approach. See the fact of the matter is the deductions that were handed to UE were a trivial thing, again the pictures in the Press show CV doing the same thing that UE got deducted for so to me the entire competition, STAC, and everything that surrounds it is a bit ridiculous. It's as though they pick and choose, the judges do, who will win.

In fact the entire cheerleading competition itself is not really a competition as things are so heavily weighed on judges and trivial technicalities that really don’t make sense and in the grand scope really shouldn't matter. I can see if you fall, if there is an obvious fault or flaw then this would grant probably not finishing in the tops few in the standings. For a head bob (or whatever it is called in cheerleading terms), when one team did it and got away with it but the other did not just all the more shows that the judges determine the outcome not those girls (or guys) that are the athletes that are competing. And really something like a head bob, to me, is a non controllable thing, I have never witnessed such a ridiculous minuscule type rule in any other sporting competition.

Also being close to some of those who have been involved with this UE team for several years, it was told to me that CV has been the poorest of losers and the poorest of sports when they had not won in the past so don't try to imply that CV politely congratulates UE when they win and the same gesture and sediments are not or were not passed on from UE now and in the past...this is simply not true.

The bottom line here is let us congratulate all of those young men and women who put it all out on the floor (or mats) who simply were in it to compete and do their best. I have heard now for a few days...even from CV parents… that they were a bit shocked UE got the points deducted and did not finish first. But that is besides the point, honor those young men and women who competed and being as though you won on some technicalities take it for what it is, enjoy your win and continue to compete at your highest levels in the years and competitions to come, be humble about your win don’t start pointing the fingers and bringing down those who did not finish better than you…to me that is being a bad and poor winner if there was ever a definition of such.

By the way STAC as an sports ruling embodiment is the worst that I have ever seen. These technical trivial rules that are just based on discretion and no clear cut understanding is ridiculous. Also the DJ had a Discman as his sound system...COME ON, its about time STAC changed their ways and got rid of some of their members who run these sporting events for years because its clearly now beyond their realm. I have been around highschool sports for many years and have never witnessed some of the stupid things that STAC does with there sporting events (and that includes all sporting events not just cheerleading)

GOOD DAY!!!

Guest UE grad Alum

Thank you. Finally a UE parent that gets it. Even the CV girls expected UE to be the class of the competition, but they made some mistakes. Unfortunately, it's a one-time deal.

Don't take away anything from any of the squads. They all did great and should be proud of their accomplishments. But all the comments about mistakes, boring routines, we deserve better, national material, etc. is simply not appropriate. And to have a coach come on BCV spouting off is simply unacceptable.

I am UE supporter and I accept defeat but what CV parents and those involved with CV have to understand...(proof in the pictures posted by the Press on Monday)...THE DID THE SAMN DAMN THING, and didn't get points deducted, remember that and accept that please!!!

However, congrats on your win and in the grand spirit of sporting competitions, come ready next time to defend your title.

Good Day!

From someone who has been going to stac cheerleading competitons since 2000 id like to mention that cv has a different routine everytime they go. they are known for creatvity and sure there are some repeating stunts but other than that their ideas and trasitions are amazing. i have also noticed ue dances are their typical style and should try stepping out of their boundaries a little instead of complaining. obviously tumbling cant always win you first and some advanced tosses without your heads thrown back would have helped ue out as well.

Archived