MICE!

Guest Guest

I have found mice in my attic!! It is an unfinishable one and I keep setting those freakin spring traps and catching some, but I still hear them. I was told not to use DeCon pellets as the mice can become trapped iin your walls and then die there. They are getting in through the soffitt area around the perimeter of my house. Does anyone have or know of any ideas?

I have found mice in my attic!! It is an unfinishable one and I keep setting those freakin spring traps and catching some, but I still hear them. I was told not to use DeCon pellets as the mice can become trapped iin your walls and then die there. They are getting in through the soffitt area around the perimeter of my house. Does anyone have or know of any ideas?

FIRE.. And LOTS of it :D

Get a cat or two ;)

Here is a link with some good suggestions. Good Luck.

http://www.howtogetridofstuff.com/pest-con...get-rid-of-mice

I did some research on this myself when I had a mouse problem. I have found that moth balls work really well to keep the mice away. I prefer not to use poison because I have a dog and an 8 year old. Traps work really well when they are baited with peanut butter. If you can, try to spread the moth balls around where they are coming in.

I did some research on this myself when I had a mouse problem. I have found that moth balls work really well to keep the mice away. I prefer not to use poison because I have a dog and an 8 year old. Traps work really well when they are baited with peanut butter. If you can, try to spread the moth balls around where they are coming in.
The moth ball thing works great That what I did here and it worked perfect and didnt cost much at all.

I have a mobile home and I always have had a problem with mice. Finally, I bought a whole box of moth balls and dropped them down the openings under the sinks (where the plumbing comes up through). I also spread them around the hot water heater. Worked like a charm!!! My only problem now is that they have chewed through the plastic garbage cans outside!!! :angry: I am going to invest in some metal ones this weekend.

Guest Dances With Mice
Traps and hardware store. Peanut butter on latch portion of trap. Wait.

Works well and does not cost a lot.

TWS

Tie a string to the trap. What it catches a mouse, don't even bother getting it out of the trap, use the string and throw the whole thing away.

The traps are 2 for a dollar at the dollar stores.

Yup. Went to pick up one of the bags one day and saw the little buggers running away from the cans. Remember, mice can chew through almost anything. Just remembered another little trick to keep the rodents out of your home. When you find an opening where you think they are getting in, stuff it full of steel wool and then spray it with expandable insulation (comes in a can from Lowes). The insulation acts as a barrier and they cannot chew through the steel wool. (it gets caught in their teeth) I did this to all the openings under the sinks in my home. Works great to keep drafts out too.

I use the glue traps and the plastic traps that won't snap my fingers when setting. I seal all holes i can see with spray foam and that keeps a lot away. Mice are nasty and i can't sleep i have heard one. THe cat thing don't work either i have 1 and he is too fat to care.

Guest Solomon

I'm not soft-hearted when it comes to mice but I do think those glue traps are cruel (not that poison is the most pleasant way to go). We bought electronic mouse traps; you pop in a couple of batteries, bait them with peanut butter, the mouse crawls inside and steps on the metal pad, and BZZZZZ, mission accomplished. And here's an alternative to moth balls if you don't want the smell; use oil of peppermint (not the extract, you need the more concentrated oil). Buy it online or at a health food store, put a drop or two on a cotton ball and place it where you need to (great for food cupboards, under sinks, or anywhere you wouldn't want to put mothballs). Mice hate the smell of mint, and it really works. Refresh with more peppermint oil every week or so. The other tips about sealing holes are good; otherwise you're not not tackling the problem at its source.

get a cat. They don't smell as bad as moth balls, they are easy to take care of (they bathe themselves), and are great companions. I've only been without a cat once in my life. I live near a creek so mice come in droves. Every time I opened my bread box, a nasty little critter would be staring at me. I have 2 cats now. If one doesn't get it, the other one will. Only problem, they leave the little dead carcas on the porch, but I'd rather have a dead mouse on my porch then a live one in my bread box.

Tie a string to the trap. What it catches a mouse, don't even bother getting it out of the trap, use the string and throw the whole thing away.

The traps are 2 for a dollar at the dollar stores.

String is a good idea. I normally use a shovel to dispose of the little critters - trap and all.

TWS

Thanks. I think I will try the moth ball thing......Can't use cats as they are in the attic that is a pull down. just full of storage and insulation....oh yes and mice! The foam and steel wool would be good too, but I would have to insert that inthe openings where the soffit meets the brick face on the exterior and woudl have to find someone to help with that. I did buy a pulsing unit that you plug in. Hoping that will work. Anyone had experience with them on if they do work or not?

Guest Patricia
Thanks. I think I will try the moth ball thing......Can't use cats as they are in the attic that is a pull down. just full of storage and insulation....oh yes and mice! The foam and steel wool would be good too, but I would have to insert that inthe openings where the soffit meets the brick face on the exterior and woudl have to find someone to help with that. I did buy a pulsing unit that you plug in. Hoping that will work. Anyone had experience with them on if they do work or not?

We were getting mice in our basement until my husband purchased some of those plug-in units. That was at least two years ago, and we haven't had a mouse since. I find it hard to believe it could be that easy, and I'm sure that having written this, I will discover we have mice again! The worst experience I can recall with a mouse, was when we had this horrible stench in our laundry room. I traced it to an empty bottle of beer in our recycling box. I filled the bottle with warm water, shook it a bit, and emptied it into our kitchen sink. Oh, my GOD...a pink thing came sliding out, along with tufts of fur. Dead mouse. Needless to say, we are very careful to rinse out all bottles and cans now.

Unfortunately, my 8 year old has a hamster, so we can't use the sonic mice repellents. Apparently, it works on any small animals. As for the foam insulation, the only place that I have used it is around the openings under the sinks, where the plumbing comes up through. I used moth balls around the hot water heater. I have heard about the peppermint oil, but REAL peppermint oil is kinda expensive. Moth balls are $1.00 per box at the dollar store.

Archived