Can You Be Christian Without Going To Church?

Guest Guest

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jon, I've been away for a few days, but caught up in my reading now. Thank you for producing that link, I had actually forgotten that interchange.

I could hardly have imagined making a ridiculous claim like possessing a 200+ IQ (there are likely less than a half dozen people in the world in that category, Marilyn Vos Savant being perhaps the most famous example) would have been taken as anything more than a joke. And I do like to joke. ;) I was using exaggeration to poke some fun at Uncle Geo's citing the Merriam-Webster dictionary to me. Obviously it was lost on him, and he took it literally as if I actually believed such an absurd claim.

I spent years working in the company of someone who made a studious practice of taking everything said to them dead-flat literally to an absurd degree whenever in a dispute. It took a while to confirm that this practice is in fact a combative technique. By doing so, they award themselves a contrived pretext for pseudo-intellectual attack, citing so-called "dishonesty" of their adversary. In fact the real 'dishonesty' going on is their own pretense to 'believe' tongue-in-cheek statements in order to feign righteous affront. In short, they generate signal noise to mask the emptiness of their side of a dispute they crave for its own sake.

Compare that if you like with the half-drunk in a bar intent on taking out his bad mood on anyone available. So he sidles up beside a complete stranger contriving to nudge them, then says indignantly: "Oi! Who do you think YOU'RE shoving??!" With luck he'll have his coveted confrontation.

BTW, I realized immediately that your claim to a 200+ IQ was a joke. After all, as you rightly observed we number only 6, and I know the other five. mrcooltn8.gif

(Sophist) "a person who reasons adroitly and speciously rather than soundly"

And in parlance of Logic, erecting plausible arguments upon any First Premise but a True one.

..... consider what sort of ally AFC really is, sure, he can wow some people with his quote-alanches, but at the same time, he is only half-smart, not truly smart. Otherwise he would have no need to resort to the chicanery of a sophist.

The perceptive see readily that genuine intellect and unconscionable cunning overlap to only a small degree within all but a tainted few.

Guest Knight of Darkness
Compare that if you like with the half-drunk in a bar intent on taking out his bad mood on anyone available. So he sidles up beside a complete stranger contriving to nudge them, then says indignantly: "Oi! Who do you think YOU'RE shoving??!" With luck he'll have his coveted confrontation.

I have seen exactly the type you're referring to, but I stay out of bars. According to certain people here, I'm too young to drink. ;)

BTW, I realized immediately that your claim to a 200+ IQ was a joke. After all, as you rightly observed we number only 6, and I know the other five. mrcooltn8.gif

22.gif I would ask you to arrange a date for me with Marilyn Vos Savant, she used to be hot, but she's gotten too old. :(

The perceptive see readily that genuine intellect and unconscionable cunning overlap to only a small degree within all but a tainted few.

Very true, intelligence and cunning are not the same. Nonetheless, cunning cannot be underestimated, I have personally observed people who do not possess very much intellect, yet are quite dangerous adversaries because of their cunning.

22.gif I would ask you to arrange a date for me with Marilyn Vos Savant, she used to be hot, but she's gotten too old. :(

Sour Grapes! You know perfectly well she wouldn't slum it with someone limited by a measly 190 IQ anyway! (lol)

I spent years working in the company of someone who made a studious practice of taking everything said to them dead-flat literally to an absurd degree whenever in a dispute. It took a while to confirm that this practice is in fact a combative technique. By doing so, they award themselves a contrived pretext for pseudo-intellectual attack, citing so-called "dishonesty" of their adversary. In fact the real 'dishonesty' going on is their own pretense to 'believe' tongue-in-cheek statements in order to feign righteous affront. In short, they generate signal noise to mask the emptiness of their side of a dispute they crave for its own sake. You know, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting wacked here. I offered an olive branch in an earlier post and I may be getting beat with it. What's the story?

And in parlance of Logic, erecting plausible arguments upon any First Premise but a True one.

You know, I'm starting to feel like I'm getting wacked here. I offered an olive branch in an earlier post and I may be getting beat with it. What's the story?

Uncle Geo, I was sharing a lesson that I had learned very well indeed from a past acquaintance. If you or anyone else find my experience useful in dealing with others then I'm quietly glad to have been of assistance.

Your olive branch is welcome and safe, thank you. Should anything arise to change that situation I think you know that I won't beat around the bush. Until then I need add only one thing more on this topic: In a series of threads tyrannized stridently by visually belligerent signatures, mine is modest as an accurate gauge of what anyone here can expect of me.

Guest Knight of Darkness
Sour Grapes! You know perfectly well she wouldn't slum it with someone limited by a measly 190 IQ anyway! (lol)

Picky, picky. :lol:

As soon as your mommy changes your diapers, my little toddler:

Remember this, my little sack of entertainment: When it comes to Christianity, I'm your master.

Have a nice day! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do you feel better, now? Awe mommy will take care of you, my little peachums! Cuddle cuddle! Mommy! Mommy!

;)

Guest Guest

Wow it's amazing to see how a question can be ignored and degenerate into such a quagmire of theological nonsense, as to the original question yes it is possible to be a good christian without attending church but many find the fellowship uplifting. One can also reason that the larger the group praying for anything the more likely it is to happen this is a common thread throughout all religions and shouldn't be ignored. As for our cathaholic friends go right on clinging to your antiquated beliefs if they comfort you because your priests are sack tickling your church into bankruptcy but you'll always be welcome in most of the protestant churches.

Guest Guest
Wow it's amazing to see how a question can be ignored and degenerate into such a quagmire of theological nonsense, as to the original question yes it is possible to be a good christian without attending church but many find the fellowship uplifting. One can also reason that the larger the group praying for anything the more likely it is to happen this is a common thread throughout all religions and shouldn't be ignored. As for our cathaholic friends go right on clinging to your antiquated beliefs if they comfort you because your priests are sack tickling your church into bankruptcy but you'll always be welcome in most of the protestant churches.

Catholics want the truth, first and foremost. Protestant churches are out.

Guest Guest

Catholics want to stone and torture people, first and foremost. Protestant churches rule!

Guest Guest

Well my cathaholic friend the truth is that your church pushes it's opinions beyond the realm of faith for those who can reason logically. That's why your priesthood is celebate and a refuge for gays and pedophiles and rather than deal with the problem in a reasonable fashion they try to hide the truth. That's why your church will go broke from the disgrace of your DELETED priests.

Guest Guesto1

I think that there are some people that are closer to God in their own home than those that go to church each Sunday and just go through the motions.

It's a personal choice.

Guest The REAL AFC
Well my cathaholic friend the truth is that your church pushes it's opinions beyond the realm of faith for those who can reason logically.

Reason NEVER overrules faith, never.

That's why your priesthood is celebate

Being celibate is biblically sound for worshiping GOD the MOST.

and a refuge for gays and pedophiles

They are being chased out, rightfully so.

and rather than deal with the problem in a reasonable fashion they try to hide the truth.

The witch hunt began when Pope Benedict was elected.

That's why your church will go broke from the disgrace of your DELETED priests.

It will never go broke.

Guest The REAL AFC
I think that there are some people that are closer to God in their own home than those that go to church each Sunday and just go through the motions.

It's a personal choice.

Correct. You either want to celebrate Christ the way He wanted or do it your way. I pick His way.

Guest The REAL AFC
Correct. You either want to celebrate Christ the way He wanted or do it your way. I pick His way.

Remember --- Jesus often spoke of the importance of large, beautiful churches with gold candle sticks, etc. Unless your house has these things, along with stained glass windows, you cannot possibly worship Christ the way He wants you to. :blink: :blink:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest
Remember --- Jesus often spoke of the importance of large, beautiful churches with gold candle sticks, etc. Unless your house has these things, along with stained glass windows, you cannot possibly worship Christ the way He wants you to. :blink: :blink:

You say so.

Archived