Can You Be Christian Without Going To Church?

Guest Guest

I agree about St. Cyrils-the priest there has a beautiful rectory-far from the life of St. Francis! He aso goes to Italy every year! He is never around when you need him and too busy to visit the sick! Also, asking for money, money, money! He forgets that the people attending this parish are ELDERLY and live on limited incomes! So much for St. Cyrils church! I don't go there-but have relatives who do who are ELDERLY and they complain all the time about him! He has more gold in his church that is necessary!!!! WHY ALL THE GOLD??? So sad!!!

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because someone chose to be uncharitable towards you and perhaps even committed a sin in doing so, you've decided to use it as an excuse not to participate?

A true Christian lives the words Christ taught us in the Our Father ... "forgive us as we forgive others." To do otherwise brings condemnation on yourself.

Hmmmm . . . If I were you I think I'd step back and reevaluate my position a bit.

Let me ask you something, where in the Bible does it say man must go to church? I still participate when it comes to religion, but not to hang around a bunch of rich hypocrites that feel because they're going to church and are dressed up, they get a free pass to heaven.

YES! (If you research all the major Christian religions you will determine that none of them have it quite right. Therefore you are trying to choose the lesser of two evils - so to speak) There are now many very powerfull non-denominational Christian Bible Based Churches.

It's important to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

A Christian not a CHURCHTAIN like AFC!!!

I didn't read through the whole thread, I skipped to the thid page. I will add my say... I think that oraganized religion has ruined the real purpose. The hate and rules set forth on people because of their beliefs isn't the proper way to worship. Having faith is something every person can do in their own way, and celebrate as they wish. It's not so much what ou have faith in as long as you have faith. It's supposed to be an uplifting experience, but I find most people do not celebrate their faith they mourn it. That is a quote from a movie, but it made sense to me. I don't need to attend services, receive communion, and be absolved of my sins by a priest. I believe that I have my own relationship with God, and I am happier celebrating him and my life my way, without involving all the politics of organized religion. my parents raised me Catholic and I received baptism, communion, and confirmation. They gave me all the education I needed to be able to make a choice in my religious practice, and I thank them for that, although many sundays I hated waking up for CCD and church. I chose to celebrate my faith, not my religion, in my own way. Some people need the church and the practices of it to believe, I don't. I think that however you believe and whatever gives you peace inside is the answer. Why persecute anyone for trying to better themselves in a way that works for them specifically. I don't think God truly intended for his being and creations to be cause for hate and war, it was intended to give peace.

I apologize if my beliefs offend anyone.... God gave me free will, so as I could make this choice for myself. I would never thrust that upon anyone, neither should anyone push there beliefs on anyone else.

I guess you made YOUR OWN PATH to heaven. I hope it works out for you..... :lol:

YES! (If you research all the major Christian religions you will determine that none of them have it quite right. Therefore you are trying to choose the lesser of two evils - so to speak) There are now many very powerfull non-denominational Christian Bible Based Churches.

It's important to be a follower of Jesus Christ.

A Christian not a CHURCHTAIN like AFC!!!

The Catholic Church has the FULLNESS of the truth. Everyone else LACKS SOMETHING from it.....

Are you telling me that Jesus DID NOT build His Church on Peter???????????????? :blink:

BIBLE BASED? The bible didn't come around until the 4rth century! What happened to the people in the prior centuries? :o Christianity DID NOT COME OUT of the BIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Jeepers.

Guest Athiest
3.gif

wow, guess this shows how religious you are making fun of retards like that. Get a life, that was just plain mean, not even I would do something to this extent. Guess this proves that not all people that go to church, go for the right reasons. Making fun of retards, you sicko :angry:

Anyone recommend a good translation of the Bible?? I like the "New Living Translation" as it is in simple easy to understand English and is easier to read than the King James Version.

wow, guess this shows how religious you are making fun of retards like that. Get a life, that was just plain mean, not even I would do something to this extent. Guess this proves that not all people that go to church, go for the right reasons. Making fun of retards, you sicko :angry:

Oh stop yourself. Funny, you have nothing to say to the person who insulted me!!!!!! You need to grow up. Stop your self righteous nonsense. I have never made fun of the mentally disabled. They didn't choose to be like that. However, those that insult me are a different story.

Satan is the ruler of this world. Jesus said so when He was being interrogated by Pilate. :blink:

John 18:36

36Jesus said, "My kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jews. But now my kingdom is from another place."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...&version=31

Not disputing those words, as far as they do go.

But how does one get from there to: "Satan is the ruler of this world."?

Logically, wouldn't that conclusion require its own statement?

As it stands, it comes across less as a definitive statement and more as an inference.

From Christ's words strictly as quoted, an equally valid deduction might be that in the absence of Christ's kingdom, this world is merely not ruled.

Church is gay, plus I'm an athiest so no you do not need to go to church.

OK....let me guess. You have no real job, no experience in anything.....Mommy and Daddy have given you anything you want, and you consider yourself a "rebel" and an intellectual. You have no real responsibilties at all, and contribute nothing to society in the way of taxes. All that are we blessed with is your opinion. Have you raised children? I think not. Why don't you get back to us all in a few years.

You tell me if my assessment is wrong, and prove your point. Go.................dude.

Church is gay, plus I'm an athiest so no you do not need to go to church.

Guest, you deliver an opinion but do not seem prepared to discuss it. That is unfortunate.

If your views are not extreme, then your way of expressing them is. It is simplistic.

First of all it is not clear from you how you define 'Church'. There is more than one interpretation.

To scorn all Churches is to do injustice to those Churches that genuinely aim to serve instead of to be served.

The fact that you do not need to go to Church does not automatically mean that others do not ... some do.

Some other folk do not need to go to Church, yet also are not Atheists.

I have met numerous Atheists and all have nevertheless been respectful toward those Churches that deserve respect.

If your manners don't give Atheists a bad name undeservedly, your spelling might. It's 'Atheist' ... and with a capital.

Without the Mass and the Sacraments, why would you even bother going? Without those, I can certainly read the Word of God at home instead of going somewhere.

I think a person who stayed home, opened a box of Ritz, took a swig of grape juice, and prayed would be more of a Christian than you. Judging by your posts, you are the exact opposite of how a Christian should act -- regardless of their religious affiliation!

I think a person who stayed home, opened a box of Ritz, took a swig of grape juice, and prayed would be more of a Christian than you. Judging by your posts, you are the exact opposite of how a Christian should act -- regardless of their religious affiliation!

Come on now. Let's be specific here. You attack AFC ... joining with the rest of the pack ... you make a judgment referring to his previous posts ... you fail to support your statement with anything other than your opinion.

What is the value of your post?

Come on now. Let's be specific here. You attack AFC ... joining with the rest of the pack ... you make a judgment referring to his previous posts ... you fail to support your statement with anything other than your opinion.

AFC is extremely judgmental and disrespectful of others' religious beliefs. If he were just someone expressing his particular religion, that would be one thing. But, as a Catholic myself, I know his religion of hate has nothing to do with being Catholic.

The value of my post is that I speak out -- and yes, mock - this person who spreads hate.

AFC ridicules anyone who is not Catholic, and makes the Catholic faith look bad with his hateful speech.

Now, I ask you, what is the value of his posts?

Yes, I agree, Uncle Geo ... let's be specific.

Most of us have tracked A Faithful Catholic through 185 pages (yes pages) that I know of for certain. Perhaps we can be qualified to "make a judgment referring to his previous posts" ... 185 pages of posts and replies ... 'specifics' on which to form an impression. Do you assume that the 'Guest' you have just addressed only dropped in today? Perhaps you are a new arrival yourself in threads involving A Faithful Catholic. Your present call sign seems to suggest that.

There is something antisocial about A Faithful Catholic's approach to people that has not endeared him to many. He has antagonized a lot of people a lot of times. Needlessly. In that respect he's his own worst enemy. No matter what message he pushes now, whether Religion or Rock n' Roll it would be the same.

That's what attracts the negativity you deplore. Do you really believe that A Faithful Catholic has a better grasp of everything than those whom he scorns?

Not disputing those words, as far as they do go.

But how does one get from there to: "Satan is the ruler of this world."?

Logically, wouldn't that conclusion require its own statement?

As it stands, it comes across less as a definitive statement and more as an inference.

From Christ's words strictly as quoted, an equally valid deduction might be that in the absence of Christ's kingdom, this world is merely not ruled.

Jon, here is a better quote:

The Work of the Holy Spirit

5"Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. 7But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

16"In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."

http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?searc...amp;version=31;

The Gospel of St. John is my favorite Gospel.

.....and to RESTORE what was lost.........

Acts 1:6-9

6So when they met together, they asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?"

7He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

9After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

Jesus came to "undue what the devil had done".

Jon, here is a better quote:

The Work of the Holy Spirit

5"Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, 'Where are you going?' 6Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. 7But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counselor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. 8When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: 9in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; 10in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; 11and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned.

12"I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. 13But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come. 14He will bring glory to me by taking from what is mine and making it known to you. 15All that belongs to the Father is mine. That is why I said the Spirit will take from what is mine and make it known to you.

16"In a little while you will see me no more, and then after a little while you will see me."

The Gospel of St. John is my favorite Gospel.

.....and to RESTORE what was lost.........

Acts 1:6-9

6So when they met together, they asked him, "Lord, are you at this time going to restore the kingdom to Israel?"

7He said to them: "It is not for you to know the times or dates the Father has set by his own authority. 8But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit comes on you; and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the ends of the earth."

9After he said this, he was taken up before their very eyes, and a cloud hid him from their sight.

FALCON PUNCH!

I preach CHRISTIAN TRUTH. Love it or leave it. I have never been wrong in terms of the teachings of the Christian FAITH. I practice the FAITH handed down by the Apostles and no other. I ATTACK all erroneous doctrines and teachings........ :blink:

I preach CHRISTIAN TRUTH. Love it or leave it. I have never been wrong in terms of the teachings of the Christian FAITH. I practice the FAITH handed down by the Apostles and no other. I ATTACK all erroneous doctrines and teachings........ :blink:

No, you preach Catholicism. That is not the same as Christian truth.

AFC is extremely judgmental and disrespectful of others' religious beliefs.

YOU SHOULD BE TOO. There is ONLY one way to heaven through Jesus Christ. Every other religion is FALSE. YOU OUGHT TO KNOW THIS!!!!!!!

Second, there is a right and wrong in Christianity. You either belong to the Church founded by Jesus on the Apostle Peter or you belong to the "churches" founded by the heretics of the 1500s. (besides the Orthodox)

This is ELEMENTARY.

If he were just someone expressing his particular religion, that would be one thing.

There is ONLY one TRUTH and ONE TRUE CHURCH.

But, as a Catholic myself, I know his religion of hate has nothing to do with being Catholic.

If you are indeed CATHOLIC, I suggest you do these things:

1.) Go to your priest and ask to attend RCIA classes.

2.) Pick up the CATECHISM of the Catholic Church and read it. I speak nothing but Catholic TRUTH.

3.) Read the Early Church Fathers on their efforts to PRESERVE the FAITH handed down to them by the Apostles against COUNTLESS heresies.

The value of my post is that I speak out -- and yes, mock - this person who spreads hate.

So you're a mocker now? That would hold some value if you actually KNEW your FAITH. :blink:

AFC ridicules anyone who is not Catholic, and makes the Catholic faith look bad with his hateful speech.

I attack and ridicule FALSE teachings and doctrines passed off as true teachings. Those teachings lead souls to hell.

Now, I ask you, what is the value of his posts?

Spreading the truth.

Archived