PSB = Pathetic

Mouser

Getting Married = FREE AD IN PSB

Place Obituary = PAY ( PSB taking advantage of your VARNABLITY )

I just don't get it. A couple is going to get married. In today's real world, if the average couple makes it to 15 years of being married, they have better then a 75% chance they will be together the rest of their lives. They get to place an AD in the PSB not only for the engagement, but also for their aniversity. Say what PSB? FREE ? No Joke ?

Now, when a person dies, the PSB thinks it is fit to charge to place an Obituary. They take advantage of the grieving family. In today's world, we celebrate the person's life, the good and the bad. Say What PSB ? Get the Money Out ? What Kind Of Newspaper Are You Anyway ? Money Hungry, Mongruls ?

This is not right. It should be the other way around.

What about those who have had a down spur of bad luck and have no funds available ?

Lost their job because of the business closing or a medical issue, and their family was just barely making it.

Little alone a hard hit to the family with losing a dear beloved family member, now in order to let long lost friends (school, college, ECT), past fellow employees, maybe even lost family members know about this tragic time, they have to pay the PSB to place the Obituary ?

I say it's just totally disgusting ! ! ! !

I know I'll get bashed from some of those "guest" posters, but I have big shoulders and can take it.

I am trying to make a point here about something that is just totally wrong ! ! !

:unsure:

Good point !

You are 100% correct. The PSB is taking advantage of people. I have never been in that position (yet anyway) of having to place an obituary so I did not know this. I always thought it was free just like the wedding announcement we placed for our daughter last year.

I myself have always taken the same stance. That wedding announcements should be for a fee, and obits should be free up to a defined length. Heck, I've seen some people get married two or three times and have free announcements. Last I checked we all die just once.

However, do not blame the Press for this, it's almost an industry standard. Most papers handle both the way the Press does. That said, would it kill the BP&S-B to reverse the trend, at least locally?

Wolf

You would be shocked at just how expensive the obituary listings are. When I had to place one for my husband it cost, if I remember correctly, somewhere in the vicinity of $175.00 per day. They charge per inch of typespace used. If you add a photo, it's an extra charge. I agree that these notices should be printed for free. They also now charge to go back into the archives on-line....this is a fairly recent change, I believe.

I just don't get it. A couple is going to get married. In today's real world, if the average couple makes it to 15 years of being married, they have better then a 75% chance they will be together the rest of their lives. They get to place an AD in the PSB not only for the engagement, but also for their aniversity. Say what PSB? FREE ? No Joke ?

Now, when a person dies, the PSB thinks it is fit to charge to place an Obituary. They take advantage of the grieving family. In today's world, we celebrate the person's life, the good and the bad. Say What PSB ? Get the Money Out ? What Kind Of Newspaper Are You Anyway ? Money Hungry, Mongruls ?

What about those who have had a down spur of bad luck and have no funds available ?

Lost their job because of the business closing or a medical issue, and their family was just barely making it.

Little alone a hard hit to the family with losing a dear beloved family member, now in order to let long lost friends (school, college, ECT), past fellow employees, maybe even lost family members know about this tragic time, they have to pay the PSB to place the Obituary ?

I know I'll get bashed from some of those "guest" posters, but I have big shoulders and can take it.

I am trying to make a point here about something that is just totally wrong ! ! !

Maybe it's just me, but what is my "varnability?"

A death notice is required by law. Many newspapers have charged for them for years. Some just charge more than others. My grandfather's obit ran a month ago in the Tioga Courier in Owego. They run local obits for free and charge $20 or $25 (can't remember) for out of towners. This is reasonable and meets the state standard for notices.

A death notice is required by law. Many newspapers have charged for them for years. Some just charge more than others. My grandfather's obit ran a month ago in the Tioga Courier in Owego. They run local obits for free and charge $20 or $25 (can't remember) for out of towners. This is reasonable and meets the state standard for notices.

A death notice is 100% free (at least in local newspapers I've dealt with) and is what is probably required. An obituary is not required, or at least not enforced if it is required. I know MANY people who passed away locally, were born and raised and died locally and there was no obituary, but there was a death notice.

Wolf

But we all have to ask ourselves the question. If we had a monopoly would we take advantage? Leaving the announcements aside, where do they get off deciding that for a business to run a classified ad it should cost 10 times as much? They've got us right where they want us. Where else are you going to get local news? Here? All you read about in bcvoice, if its not idle chit chat is complaining about Matt Ryan and his wifi. Could you imagine the good you could do if you could rechannel all that wasted negative energy? You could definitely start up a competing online newssource that would kick the PSB's butt.

Get a life folks - - newspaper circulation is down everywhere. Why should we pay for a lousy paper and lousy service when you can get all the news you want on-line? Someone, somewhere has to pay for the new printing press and building. In most cases, the obituary is added or included in the funeral home cost anyway. Now that you've suggested charging for wedding announcements, it's only a matter of time before they get you there too.

Now that you've suggested charging for wedding announcements, it's only a matter of time before they get you there too.

I say good to that.

Could you imagine the good you could do if you could rechannel all that wasted negative energy?

Could you imagine a perfect world ?

All you read about in bcvoice, if its not idle chit chat is complaining about Matt Ryan and his wifi.

Totally NOT TRUE ! There are a lot of good threads started here at BCVoice. Take for example, if you will, the one about the editors coming here to BCVoice to get the facts about stories so they can doctor them up.

In most cases, the obituary is added or included in the funeral home cost anyway.

This may be true in ""SOME"" cases, but not as many as you think. If you ever have a chance to look over an invoice for a funeral, you will notice that there are "advertisement" charges. Those charges are for everything, including posting in the Obit's. So YOUR paying for it anyway, and generally if you do not do it yourself, there is a mark up by the funeral home.

YES as one poster stated, they have us and their's not thing one we can do. OR maybe there is. Think about it. IMAGINE ... all it takes is some thought.

As it stands right now, IT'S A SCAM THAT'S LEGAL ! !

AND THAT"S WHAT THE ISSUE IS ! ! ! Plain and simple, cut through the chase and right to the core of the issue.

:mellow:

If you look at other papers across the country, you'll see the same thing..... the BP didn't invent the formula, just followed it

Archived