first concert at arena?

Guest psmails

The afternoon of the ELP show I got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to work security for the show.DUH! ELP's security picked me and my friend to stand in FRONT OF THE STAGE! (we were the biggest guys) I was right in front of Greg Lake.Needless to say we had the best seats in the house! Met them after the show also. Wow great memories and got paid too. :lol:

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The afternoon of the ELP show I got a call from a friend asking if I wanted to work security for the show.DUH! ELP's security picked me and my friend to stand in FRONT OF THE STAGE! (we were the biggest guys) I was right in front of Greg Lake.Needless to say we had the best seats in the house! Met them after the show also. Wow great memories and got paid too. :lol:

Lucky you, but there wasn't a bad seat in the house that night. It was pretty magical.

Ya sleepless it was great! In college I got to do the same thing for Bob Weir's band(all the dead's amp's were Mac's).Again got up front for the same reason.BTW,grew up in Hillcrest. How's the old neighborhood?

Guest Metal_Guy
Absolute truth to it. I was there. Faster Pussycat was here twice and got booed off the stage twice. That band sucked.

Yep, those guys sucked major Deleted. They used to do this thing where they would try to get people to like them by pointing to someone random in the audience and telling the crowd that the random person was badmouthing the band. But it usually never worked and they ended up getting booed and having stuff thrown at them. Probably one of the worst opening bands to ever (dis)grace the Arena stage.

Ya sleepless it was great! In college I got to do the same thing for Bob Weir's band(all the dead's amp's were Mac's).Again got up front for the same reason.BTW,grew up in Hillcrest. How's the old neighborhood?

The old neighborhood is doing great. My son's big city friends from Boston, NYC, and Japan still refer to Hillcrest as "Mayberry"....I love it this way!

Sleepless in Hillcrest.........if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Did you go to CV? I lived in HIllcrest from until 1996, when I went away to school, and my parents moved to another area. I live out of state now, but I miss Hillcrest a lot....

Sleepless in Hillcrest.........if you don't mind my asking, how old are you? Did you go to CV? I lived in HIllcrest from until 1996, when I went away to school, and my parents moved to another area. I live out of state now, but I miss Hillcrest a lot....

I'm 52...I've lived in Hillcrest for 8 years, prior in Chenango Bridge, Port Dick, and Castle Creek. I grew up on the southside of Binghamton (BNHS), but I suspect my deathbed will be here in Hillcrest! It's still the wonderful place you remember. People still stop on the street, walking their dogs, and talk!

Hey Salsa,

I was also at the YES concert! It was fabulous! I've also seen J. Geils, Edgar Winter & more recently Elton John when he played at the Arena. I first saw Elton in Syracuse about 15 years ago & then in Boston in 2005 at the BankNorth Garden. In Boston he played for over 3 hours with no warm-up band.

Hey Salsa,

I was also at the YES concert! It was fabulous! I've also seen J. Geils, Edgar Winter & more recently Elton John when he played at the Arena. I first saw Elton in Syracuse about 15 years ago & then in Boston in 2005 at the BankNorth Garden. In Boston he played for over 3 hours with no warm-up band.

I got there late, saw them play my favorite song, Round About, then left, missing the last song they played, heard it was Starship Trooper.

I'm the "security Hillcrester" moved out 25 years ago to the country. Lived on Dorothy St. behind the home.(that should narrow it down a bit) Up on Belden Hill now but it was a definite Americana place to grow up. Walked to school 3 miles (up hill both ways)Kinda feel like I took something away from my kids not letting them grow up there.But the houses were so close together and everyone knew your business. My grandfather built my house for my parents. Still miss it,Dave

Guest Guest-tbrutis1-*
from Wikipedia.

The first act at the arena was the Barnum & Bailey Circus, in May of 1973. Chicago played the first concert at the arena (with Bruce Springsteen as opener) on June 20, 1973.

So actually, Chicago was NOT the 1st act to perform a concert at the Arena. It was THE BOSS himself.

O ya and got tired of Lowell Stevers thinkin he was Rosco P. Coltrain trying to bust us for playing that dang rock and roll crap in my garage :blink:

I grew up right on Chenango street, near the Nazarene Church, and I remember Mr. Stever too! I really miss living in Hillcrest!

O ya and got tired of Lowell Stevers thinkin he was Rosco P. Coltrain trying to bust us for playing that dang rock and roll crap in my garage :blink:

Lowell lives around the corner from me. He actually named his driveway "Mustang Way"...has a sign and everything. What a character!

Lowell lives around the corner from me. He actually named his driveway "Mustang Way"...has a sign and everything. What a character!

Does his driveway still say that? We used to love to dance through his grass just to get a reaction. We were little pains in the butt

My one sister graduated in 2001 from CV, so she may know your kid.

My son Taylor was the point guard on the basketball team that went to the state finals in 2000. He graduated 5th in his class. His sister, 2nd in her class in 2003. They must have got it from their mother...Lord knows I'm an idiot!

I'm pretty sure that the December 75 KISS concert was my first at the arena, but my memory of those years is failing.

Re: earlier post: I was also at the 2005 Elton John in Boston Concert that featured the entire Captain Fantastic album during the 3 hours. We sat about a dozen rows back from the stage, which would have been fantastic in itself if not for the goofball sitting next to us that jumped up and down uncontrollably throughout the concert disrupting everybody within 20 feet. It was still the best show I've ever seen

Archived