first concert at arena?

Guest psmails

I don't know about Wikipedia, but I attended the opening down there, and It was Chicago, and no, Bruce was not the opening act. There was no opening act! Sorry, but I didn't see Wikipedia there either. Don't put too much faith in everything you read on your internet "bibles". They're only as good as the people who program them. I think that "Urban Legends" one sucks too!

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I grew up right on Chenango street, near the Nazarene Church, and I remember Mr. Stever too! I really miss living in Hillcrest!

Mr. Stever wasn't such a bad guy, really. I remember him as a school bus driver during my CV days. He usually drove about every other day, and was still a PD cop. We used to yell "stick the cuffs on him" every time he was trying to control one of the other unruly passengers on the bus.

I don't know about Wikipedia, but I attended the opening down there, and It was Chicago, and no, Bruce was not the opening act. There was no opening act! Sorry, but I didn't see Wikipedia there either. Don't put too much faith in everything you read on your internet "bibles". They're only as good as the people who program them. I think that "Urban Legends" one sucks too!

Whoa, SIH...that's been "common local knowledge" for years. :huh:

What's common knowledge, Toop? I'm not following.

Sorry...that Bruce was the opening act for the 1st headline concert, Chicago, at the Arena...in 1973.

I wonder if there's any archives of past shows from there...perhaps in the office? I'd like to peruse it, actually.

I wasn't at that show, SIH, but was only repeating what I've heard for years.

Lowell is a nut job! He tried to give me a parking ticket in my own driveway last year. You old enough to remember his red car from the 70's? It was like getting pulled over by Bozo the clown. I thought it was a friggin fire truck!

LAST YEAR? Dude, he's got to be well into his 70's, please tell me you're kidding!

The "Mustang Way" reference is from his Mach 1 he had back in those 1970's we so enjoyed. What a car that was!

Rumor has it he gave his grandmother a speeding ticket.

He always took himself quite seriously, and there are endless stories of his crime stopping ways. The good news is that the area became known for a constant police presence, which might have helped in other ways!

concert in the 70's and 80's what a great time you good have for $12 t0 $20 bucks. Used to be able to see two or sometimes three great groups all for a great price.

I don't know about Wikipedia, but I attended the opening down there, and It was Chicago, and no, Bruce was not the opening act. There was no opening act!

Well, I know the Press has had articles on this and they too said Springsteen opened.

Easiest way to find out for sure is head to the Broome County library and check the Evening Press and the Sun-Bulletin microfilm for June 21, 22 etc 1973.

Wolf

Sorry...that Bruce was the opening act for the 1st headline concert, Chicago, at the Arena...in 1973.

I wonder if there's any archives of past shows from there...perhaps in the office? I'd like to peruse it, actually.

I wasn't at that show, SIH, but was only repeating what I've heard for years.

Well, I'm going on record here to say that when the lights came up, Chicago came out...no opening act. I saw what I saw. Look it up on "Sleepopdia".

Well, I'm going on record here to say that when the lights came up, Chicago came out...no opening act. I saw what I saw. Look it up on "Sleepopdia".

Doesn't mean that you didn't miss the opening act. I've been to many concerts were if you showed up even 30 minutes before the start of the "headline" act, you'd have no clue there was an opener.

Wolf

Well, check this out then (has 1973 audio too)

http://www.springsteen.ca/audio.php?year=1972

or this (has the date being 7 days earlier)

from http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/1969-1975-t4.html (scroll down at page)

1973-06-13 BROOM COUNTY MEMORIAL ARENA, BINGHAMTON, NY

SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT

DOES THIS BUS STOP?

PHANTOMS

SECRET TO THE BLUES

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME

SEASIDE BAR SONG

THUNDERCRACK

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ZWKJQZR

ONE show, double bill, with Bruce and the boys opening for headliners CHICAGO. The 10TH of 12 consecutive shows opening for Chicago. The above-mentioned 7-song, 45-minute setlist almost certainly represents Bruce's complete show, bearing in mind the strict time limit Bruce was under for these Chicago shows. This performance is currently only available via a poor quality audience recording of 40-minutes duration that appears to run faster than normal. The set closer, "Thundercrack", is not complete and "Secret To The Blues" and "Spirit" are marred by minor edits. A brief (but unique) rendition of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" is found here, as well as "Phantoms" (a.k.a 'Over The Hills Of Saint George"), the work-in-progress composition that soon became "Zero & Blind Terry".

Well, check this out then (has 1973 audio too)

http://www.springsteen.ca/audio.php?year=1972

or this (has the date being 7 days earlier)

from http://btxmp3index.freeforums.org/1969-1975-t4.html (scroll down at page)

1973-06-13 BROOM COUNTY MEMORIAL ARENA, BINGHAMTON, NY

SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT

DOES THIS BUS STOP?

PHANTOMS

SECRET TO THE BLUES

TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME

SEASIDE BAR SONG

THUNDERCRACK

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8ZWKJQZR

ONE show, double bill, with Bruce and the boys opening for headliners CHICAGO. The 10TH of 12 consecutive shows opening for Chicago. The above-mentioned 7-song, 45-minute setlist almost certainly represents Bruce's complete show, bearing in mind the strict time limit Bruce was under for these Chicago shows. This performance is currently only available via a poor quality audience recording of 40-minutes duration that appears to run faster than normal. The set closer, "Thundercrack", is not complete and "Secret To The Blues" and "Spirit" are marred by minor edits. A brief (but unique) rendition of "Take Me Out To The Ballgame" is found here, as well as "Phantoms" (a.k.a 'Over The Hills Of Saint George"), the work-in-progress composition that soon became "Zero & Blind Terry".

Wolf, I was really there, but I don't remember Springsteen there! Honest!

13/06/73 - BROOM COUNTY MEMORIAL ARENA, BINGHAMTON, NY

SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT (start cut)(4.11)/ DOES THIS BUS STOP? (3.35)/ PHANTOMS (4.42)/ SECRET TO THE BLUES (edits)(7.05)/ TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME (0.44)/ SEASIDE BAR SONG (3.04)/ THUNDERCRACK (cut)(4.02)

The above came from the following link http://www.brucebase.org.uk/gig1973.htm

Check it out, there is even a photo of the sign at the time with the prices on it. Heck I was there also and do not remember any opening act.

Here is a link to the article that was in the Press; http://www.brucebase.org.uk/news/news130673.jpg

Just do a little research and you will find answers.

13/06/73 - BROOM COUNTY MEMORIAL ARENA, BINGHAMTON, NY

SPIRIT IN THE NIGHT (start cut)(4.11)/ DOES THIS BUS STOP? (3.35)/ PHANTOMS (4.42)/ SECRET TO THE BLUES (edits)(7.05)/ TAKE ME OUT TO THE BALLGAME (0.44)/ SEASIDE BAR SONG (3.04)/ THUNDERCRACK (cut)(4.02)

The above came from the following link http://www.brucebase.org.uk/gig1973.htm

Check it out, there is even a photo of the sign at the time with the prices on it. Heck I was there also and do not remember any opening act.

Here is a link to the article that was in the Press; http://www.brucebase.org.uk/news/news130673.jpg

Just do a little research and you will find answers.

All granted and said...I don't remember him. I do however remember Edie's white pant suit, and the pangs it took to disrobe it! What a body!!!!

Guest Eric Frampton

I don't ever remember Emerson Lake and Palmer at the Arena.

I do remember driving to Syraces to see them at the War Memorial

I do believe you are wrong once again.

I don't ever remember Emerson Lake and Palmer at the Arena.

I do remember driving to Syraces to see them at the War Memorial

I do believe you are wrong once again.

What roads do you take to get to "Syraces"?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Archived