What is going on? Can someone help me understand???

Guest VERY WORRIED

Guest VERY WORRIED

What is going on in the world?

I am really worried about my families economic future. Gas prices, inflation, falling dollar, taxes, I can't keep up. Am I the only one? Even the price of milk is crazy. I never set out to be a millionaire but I have always worked hard and I really didn't expect this. Taxes are up on the house and value is down. I can't keep up.

It is getting me evry depressed and worried. Can someone give me some advice?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's sad but if the United States suddenly imploded and disappeared from the face of the earth... the rest of the world would hardly miss us!

It wasn't always like this but our corporations and big business have outsourced our technology and manufacturing offshore to Communist China, India, etc.

Guest Guest

God is punishing you for lusting after your neigbor's wife.

You should probably give all your money away and go lay down in front of a tank in Lhasa, Tibet.

I see no other way.

Guest The Dismal Scientist.

I am really worried about my families economic future. Gas prices, inflation, falling dollar, taxes, I can't keep up. Am I the only one? Even the price of milk is crazy. I never set out to be a millionaire but I have always worked hard and I really didn't expect this. Taxes are up on the house and value is down. I can't keep up.

Things are bad and will get worse.

The U.S. economy is built upon a mountain of debt, borrowing and leverage, and that mountain is experiencing an avalanche of epic proportions. Economists call it "de-leveraging".

The problem is that is de-leveraging process is happening at such speed that policy makers cannot step the declines in asset prices including housing, stocks and bonds.

When this process is over - probably about two years from now - we are going to be a much poorer country by almost any measure

Guest Stop the Madness
Things are bad and will get worse.

The U.S. economy is built upon a mountain of debt, borrowing and leverage, and that mountain is experiencing an avalanche of epic proportions. Economists call it "de-leveraging".

The problem is that is de-leveraging process is happening at such speed that policy makers cannot step the declines in asset prices including housing, stocks and bonds.

When this process is over - probably about two years from now - we are going to be a much poorer country by almost any measure

His Holiness King George W. Bushpilot created a Perfect Storm for what is happening! When he took office our national debt was paid off and the United States was 3 Trillion dollars in surplus. It took Bushpilot less than 6 months to put the US into debt! The war in Iraq will be paid for by our great grand children (pass the costs on to future generations). Long live his holiness King George W. Bushpilot!

I guess you shouldn't read the "Black Monday" thread.

Guest Guest
WELCOME TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER!!! WHERE THE RICHEST 1% WILL GET RICHER AND THE OTHER 99% WILL ??????????????

Become slaves to the 16 or so families that own the Federal Reserve. Abe Lincoln would be pissed!

Guest Guest
You are all experiencing SAD (google it). Spring will be here soon!

That's an acceptable excuse as long as gas goes back to down to $2.50 once spring gets here.

No, you are not the only one feeling this way. I too worry about how to keep up and how we are going to feed our families and put gas in the car, pay the bills, etc. All we can do is keep praying and hopefully Spring will be here soon.

It's very simple, you folks (voters) have let a Band of Thieves into our controlling political positions and now we are going to pay for it! Hope you have a better picture now!

Guest The Dismal Scientist.
It's very simple, you folks (voters) have let a Band of Thieves into our controlling political positions and now we are going to pay for it! Hope you have a better picture now!

I agree with you Mr. Kid.

And, we can thank the good people of Florida who let Bush eek-out a win over Gore in 2000. And, we can thank the good people of Ohio in 2004 who voted for Bush in 2004.

I, quite frankly, find it amusing and just that Ohio is one of the states that has suffered the most over the last few years as manufacturing jobs left their state.

Guest Guest

zxanex

Guest Guest

Ok, here's the simplest answer I can give. We live in a free market capitolist economy. By definition, you have your haves and have nots. Supply and demand and all that stuff. Then you have our government complicating the system by trying to control natural fluctuations in the market to the point of bursting. Think of the finger in the damm analogy, where eventually the pressure causes the damm to burst. Its starting to burst... the fed is trying desperately to stick a finger in the hole, but the hole is too big.

Who's to blame? We are. Corporations sent our jobs offshore cause we demanded lower prices. Oil compaines are charging more for gas cause were paying. Regardless of what political party you align with, we the people keep electing the same people and/or letting the new ones get away with ignoring the constitution and doing whatever they want. Now do you understand, OP?

Are you ready for the good news? We are all going to survive. We may have to give up some more luxuries, and maybe you may have to put off retirement an extra year, but we're not getting bombed, and we aren't going to be living in huts. Take a look out the window. Its a beautiful day. Savor it.

Guest Guest

When Bush was elected gas was $1.69.

Where is the outrage from Americans over this administration?

The oil companies are posting record profits; mom and pop gas stations cannot afford to stay in business or compete with huge corportations. Gas st one station in California was more than $5 this morning.

We are at war with a country that did nothing to us! Saddam had nothing to do with 9/11.

Bush abandoned the Kyoto treaty and has relaxed enviromental regualtions for his buddies, don't they know without a planet money is worthless?

I could go on forever. . . but I think the first statement says it all.

Guest Guest
Ok, here's the simplest answer I can give. We live in a free market capitolist economy. By definition, you have your haves and have nots. Supply and demand and all that stuff. Then you have our government complicating the system by trying to control natural fluctuations in the market to the point of bursting. Think of the finger in the damm analogy, where eventually the pressure causes the damm to burst. Its starting to burst... the fed is trying desperately to stick a finger in the hole, but the hole is too big.

Who's to blame? We are. Corporations sent our jobs offshore cause we demanded lower prices. Oil compaines are charging more for gas cause were paying. Regardless of what political party you align with, we the people keep electing the same people and/or letting the new ones get away with ignoring the constitution and doing whatever they want. Now do you understand, OP?

Are you ready for the good news? We are all going to survive. We may have to give up some more luxuries, and maybe you may have to put off retirement an extra year, but we're not getting bombed, and we aren't going to be living in huts. Take a look out the window. Its a beautiful day. Savor it.

Correction: Who's to blame? We aren't. Corporations sent our jobs offshore cause they want more profit.

If we were paying $3.56 for a widget and companies could continue to make it in the US and make 13% profit if it cost them, say $2.50 to manufacture, wouldn't they do so? Why do they now charge us $4.12 for the same widget that they make overseas when it costs them $1.15 to make?

It's got nothing to do with what we pay for an item, but how much more profit they can squeeze out of it by making it less expensively.

We are all going to survive. We may have to give up some more luxuries, and maybe you may have to put off retirement an extra year....

Zat so???

That's a lovely little story for you, one person, but many millions more people are doing more than just giving up some luxuries or putting off retirement.

You should work at the White House. With your total disconnection to the realites of America, you are uniquely qualified to be an advisor to GWB.

Guest Guest
Correction: Who's to blame? We aren't. Corporations sent our jobs offshore cause they want more profit.

If we were paying $3.56 for a widget and companies could continue to make it in the US and make 13% profit if it cost them, say $2.50 to manufacture, wouldn't they do so? Why do they now charge us $4.12 for the same widget that they make overseas when it costs them $1.15 to make?

It's got nothing to do with what we pay for an item, but how much more profit they can squeeze out of it by making it less expensively.

We are all going to survive. We may have to give up some more luxuries, and maybe you may have to put off retirement an extra year....

Zat so???

That's a lovely little story for you, one person, but many millions more people are doing more than just giving up some luxuries or putting off retirement.

You should work at the White House. With your total disconnection to the realites of America, you are uniquely qualified to be an advisor to GWB.

Did you tell the corporation you wanted to buy a widgit made in america? Get in line at Walmart, Mr. Perfect. I haven't heard about anyone starving in the streets yet. Do you think that's what's going to happen? Fear is what makes these things worse than they have to be.

Guest Guest
Did you tell the corporation you wanted to buy a widgit made in america? Get in line at Walmart, Mr. Perfect. I haven't heard about anyone starving in the streets yet. Do you think that's what's going to happen? Fear is what makes these things worse than they have to be.

That wasn't my point, but then you know that and you're just changing the subject because you have no response.

Talk about a reality disconnect.

You really believe there are no poor people here in the US?

Really?

Guest Benni Booboo

The OP was not asking for your political opinions, they were asking if everyone else is struggling or if they are doing something wrong. I am going to start another post on ways to cut back and welcome any other positive suggestions.

Guest Guest
That wasn't my point, but then you know that and you're just changing the subject because you have no response.

Talk about a reality disconnect.

You really believe there are no poor people here in the US?

Really?

of course there are poor people here. My point, which you seem to have missed, is that as bad as it gets around here, we're still pretty well off compared to alot of people on this planet. And unlike them, we have more ability to effect our futures for better or for worse than they ever will. So quit looking for scapegoats, be thankful for what you've got, and pay attention to how you spend the few dollars you have to spend.

Guest Benni Booboo

I agree with the above poster. Learn the difference of a need and a want. Be wise spenders of your money. I work with many low income people. It amazes me how people do not know the difference of a need and a want. A microwave, dryer, queen/king size bed are not needs, they are wants. A washer, stove/oven, twin/full bed are needs. The list could go on.

Archived