Baby Boomers

Sleepless in Hillcrest

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The good Ole Days.

My dad was into Ham Radio so I was introduced to electronics at a early age. I remember taking a old junk hi-fi (one of those self contained unit with radio and turntable) apart and turned it into a amp and used my microphone to sign to the old 45 rpm records. Use to drive the neighbors nuts up there on Colesville Road.

I remember one Christmas getting a card that said I had to go to this place in JC (I think it was JC anyway) to get a gift that Santa could not deliver. My parents put my sister and I in the car (old 53 chevy) and drove us down. Entering I remember all the other kids there, getting things like bikes and all sort's of toys. My turn came and this man took my card and came back with a nice size box. I opened it, and got one of the biggest disappointments of my life. It was a blanket. For the like of me I could never figure it out, why would santa give me a blanket. The next day, we went on a trip to Williamsport, man did that blanket keep me and my sister warm.

I also remember going into Flowers, the basement at Christmas time was always filled with stuff.

I think the best thing I remember is going to the store the day before Thanksgiving, not one single Christmas thing out. Going back on Friday after Thanksgiving, and the stores were filled with all kinds of Christmas things, and toys up the ying-yang. I could never ( until I got a little older ) figure out how they could change a store around so fast when the stores were closed on Thanksgiving. My parents told me that Santa's helpers from the North Pole came down and did it.

Some of the memories this thread has reminded us all of. Thanks to the OP for starting it !

:)

Remember the 'organ lady' playing on a turn table at Fowlers? I thought seh was the most cosmopolitan woman I'd ever seen (and she probably was!)

How about cherry cokes at Woolworths?

I remember walking down 'The Avenue' and listening to "Silver Bells" being played over loudspeakers all up and down the street.

Sure brings back memories!

Remember the 'organ lady' playing on a turn table at Fowlers? I thought seh was the most cosmopolitan woman I'd ever seen (and she probably was!)

I remember walking down 'The Avenue' and listening to "Silver Bells" being played over loudspeakers all up and down the street.

That same "organ lady" is still playing the organ at St. Mary of the Assumption in downtown Binghamton.

I have the fondest memories of Freddie. He always had a wink and a chuckle for everybody he met. I always thought he was pretty cool. He was one "laid back dude", as we spoke in those days. He once told me I could be a "brother", if I wasn't so white...I never figured that one out. But he was a character!
i forgot about fast freddie! probably one of the nicest guys i have ever met.

OMG, I haven't thought about that lady in a million years! I used to love watching her and listening to her play. My mom worked in Fowler's when I was a kid. She worked in the candy department and what an awesome job that was for your mom to have - they were allowed to bring home any imperfect candies - yum! Thanks for the trip back down memory lane.

Guest southside

Starnes and Francis, aka Fanny's across from Mc Arthur. I liked the Choc-o-Mint Life Savers and the home town made

"Kits". Little square taffys. I also remember Kerns Hobby Shop on Court Street. I went to BCHS and would hang at "Umbriago Chicago". That corner store at Front and Main. (I fogot the real name of it.) They had sheet Pizza that had some plastic cover on it and I swear their cat used to sit on it to keep it warm.

Just thought I'd add a few of my memories from the West Side in the 50's and 60's. Henery's Hamburgers at Main and Clark St., the Jarvis Theater where you could go on Saturday's for all day cartoons and movies for kike 15 or 25 cent's.Kerns hobby shop on Court St. just over the bridge.Wittig's ice cream store for Awful Awfuls milk shakes( eat 3 in one sitting and get one free and your name on a board and only cost 75cents ea.Talbots ice cream next to the Sportsman on Main St. Here's a oldie a few might remember on the west side, Hennesys 5&10 that was next to the A&P that is a paper store now.Ice skating at Rec Park and changing from shoes to skates in the clubhouse.Harry Lundburg's grocery store on Seminary Ave ,across from the Pine lounge,Caciola's candy store on clinton st..Stopping at the Igloo before going to the Ritz to see movies.Going by Ansco and smelling the chemicals used on the film in the air on the way to swim at 1st ward pool. Being able to hang out at Dixon's drugstore,sitting and reading comic book's with out being chased out of the store. Just a few of my good memories. And by the way for the poster from the westside who mocked the people from Saratoga Ave, give Dave Whalen a call at Time Warner and ask him Saratoga Terrace. He used to live there and i met some great people that lived in that area. And none were welfies, just working class folks. I knew alot of people that were "trailer trash" on the west side and I still hung out with them and most of them are hard working folks.

Guest Guest in Polish Heaven
All those other posts made me think of these random memories from growing up in Johnson City:

The annual Easter egg hunt at Floral Park. They hid real eggs (hard boiled), and if you found one with a lucky number on it you'd win a prize. The grand prize was a live rabbit, and I'm sure our mom prayed that we wouldn't be the ones to come home with it.

Also at Easter, the McCrory's 5 and Dime store on Main Street sold live baby ducks and chicks, each one dyed a bright pastel color. After being taken home like toys, I wonder how many of them survived more than a couple of weeks (days?).

Getting our milk from the Crowley's delivery truck. On hot summer days, we'd run over to the truck when it stopped by our house and the driver would give us big chunks of ice. They always had a little "gravel" on them, but we'd just wipe it off then lick them to cool off.

Our elementary school had a "boys" entrance and a "girls" entrance...and God forbid you used the wrong one; you'd be sent to the principal's office.

Harry Bloomer always playing Santa Claus; and "Freddie", the old black man who washed windows at the stores on Main Street.

Ok, enough of showing my age. :)

I had one of those chicks from McCrory's! He developed into a good sized rooster; I used to ride my bike in the neighborhood with "Harvey" riding on my shoulder! We kept him in a pen in our backyard but his crowing got on the neighbor's nerves & he would regularly get loose & break into a neighbor's pigeon coop for a little "carnal trespassing". My dad eventually took him to a chicken farm where, Dad assured me, he would be very happy. Still, I couldn't eat chicken for years!

Remember "Bennie's Palace" on Harry L where Hyle's Audio is now? Big hangout for the N. Side JC & Polish Heaven kids back in the 50's & early 60's-

Anybody remember black and white TV, and making a special trip to a neighbor's house on Saturday night to witness the "awe" of color? Getting up and actually crossing the room to change the channel two clicks from 12 to UHF. How about breaking the plastic knob and changing the channel with a pair of pliers? I think our TV came with pliers! Didn't get home early enough on Friday night to watch "The Wild, Wild West". Guess what? You missed it! Maybe they'll rerun it in the summer. Lawn mowers that did'nt require gas...just a lot of push. Going to the neighborhood store with 38 cents and a note from your mother to get her a pack of cigarettes. The absolute joy of going to Eagles, and picking out a 12 case of quarts and a 24 count of the little bottles every Saturday, never lasted through Wednesday with the five of us kids. The Charlie Chip man.? Getting tar all over your sneakers, from popping tar bubbles in the street in July. How I long for those days!

I call those days bc before color. I came to Binghamton in 1965 after I got out of the Navy no work in Scranton Remember my first bill Columbia gas 8 dollars or so for a month. Got our NYSEG bill yesterday 414 dollars NYSEG Solutions do not even remember if we signed up for Solutions and who can figure what the bill is all about. PS this town was alive back then.

I remember getting free sneakers at the Boys Club every Christmas time. I also remember never swimming there, because other than a locker key dangling from their ankles, everybody was naked. I always found that a bit disturbing!

Judging by some of your posts, bet if they were girls, you be in that pool in a flash....LOL

I remember getting free sneakers at the Boys Club every Christmas time. I also remember never swimming there, because other than a locker key dangling from their ankles, everybody was naked. I always found that a bit disturbing!

Looking back, that was sorta freaky. But at the time, it was normal.

I was always glad I had a bathing suit. It was mostly the city kids who went buck nekkid and didn't care.

Guest southsider

Does anyone remember when Panchos Pit was in "Panchos" garage in Appalachin? He had home made

Root Beer and always used too much syrup. I think that's what made it so good. How about Britts Dept Store? Joe Berrys Ski Challet? The Ave or The Ritz Tea Room? The WJ Teener, that was a fun place. The Highway Fruit Market. How long has that place been gone?

Guest simple and free

Philly Sales, wow, haven't thought about that in a long time!

I worked at Britts in the Vestal Plaza for a short time during high school.

We used to walk to the Highway Fruit Market. I remember that place and those walks very fondly. My girlfriends and I had some great talks on those walks! Yes those were the good old days. We had so much freedom as kids.

Wow, this is the first I've read of this thread and .... wow.

I'm only in my early 30's but remember my grandparents had a pair of pliers for the TV. I am not from Binghamton originally but remember trips to "the city" (Binghamton) to shop at Phillies. I remember knowing we were "almost there" when we saw the big chair from Pa's woodshed.

Philly Sales, wow, haven't thought about that in a long time!

I worked at Britts in the Vestal Plaza for a short time during high school.

We used to walk to the Highway Fruit Market. I remember that place and those walks very fondly. My girlfriends and I had some great talks on those walks! Yes those were the good old days. We had so much freedom as kids.

Do you remember the little shaver repair place out in front of Britts? That was my dad's place...he made a "killing" there. His sister Louise, actually worked her whole life at Philadelphia Sales and retired from there. She worked for the most part in the paint dept.. Her loud, gravelly voice was unmistakeable, and was synonymous with the popcorn smell there!

Britts, Weston's, and Star's. Weston's up where the Circuit City area buildings are and Stars down where Olum's is now.

V-Drive In every other Saturday Night.

Grandway -->(Binghamton Plaza)

Grants-->( Court St. and moved to Chenango Plaza) <--Who-ever edited this in red you are incorrect....please leave my posts alone....thank you

Who-ever edited this you are incorrect... I am talking GRANT's -- NOT THE GIANT !!!

I added the edit line above - Grants -Not The Giant -Mouser

Remember Eagles and Saturday mornings. Cherry and Orange were what I like the best.

Sharkey's on Glenwood once a month for their "hot pies" and clams (loved them raw as a kid-hate them now) and bowling game back in the early 60's. Remember the heavy set lady that worked in the kitchen across from the bar. Have not been there in over 40 years.

Ham (Amateur Radio-Short Wave) Fest up on the top of some mountain off Upper Penn Ave. Can't remember where been so long but remember some of the good times.

Evan's Grocery on Colesville Road. 5 cents a gallon for gas for the lawn mower. Mowed lawns for 50 cents.

The more I read this thread, the more I remember the old days. Man have things changed....but I have memories that no one can take away.

Thanks......

;)

Guest southsider

My father had a store at the Vestal Plaza. My grandfather had one "downtown" as the saying went. I worked at Philla. Sales myself during high school and the years I spent as a SUNY student. One of the owners lived across the street from us and I really liked him. I once got fired from Philla. Sales for eating a candy bar. (Long story) but got re-hired. I remember a luncheon on Clinton Street that was real dark and dirty but had the best italian sausage sandwiches I have ever had, including my own! I also worked at The Villa as a pizza technician. (My own term because I didn't actually cook anything, I just assembled.)

I haven't lived in Bng for 30 years but I still miss it. Hence my comments on this site.

Britts, Weston's, and Star's. Weston's up where the Circuit City area buildings are and Stars down where Olum's is now.

V-Drive In every other Saturday Night.

Grandway -->(Binghamton Plaza)

Grants-->( Court St. and moved to Chenango Plaza)

Remember Eagles and Saturday mornings. Cherry and Orange were what I like the best.

Sharkey's on Glenwood once a month for their "hot pies" and clams (loved them raw as a kid-hate them now) and bowling game back in the early 60's. Remember the heavy set lady that worked in the kitchen across from the bar. Have not been there in over 40 years.

Ham (Amateur Radio-Short Wave) Fest up on the top of some mountain off Upper Penn Ave. Can't remember where been so long but remember some of the good times.

Evan's Grocery on Colesville Road. 5 cents a gallon for gas for the lawn mower. Mowed lawns for 50 cents.

The more I read this thread, the more I remember the old days. Man have things changed....but I have memories that no one can take away.

Thanks......

;)

I hate to tell you this, but the last time I looked, that bowling machine was still at Sharkey's, and the records in the juke box haven't changed since Namath won the Super Bowl. Haven't been there in about 5 or 6 years...think I might stop tomorrow night. You remember a restaurant called Lum's, on the right side of Weston's? For some reason, nobody I talk to ever remembers that place. They served everything in green baskets!

I hate to tell you this, but the last time I looked, that bowling machine was still at Sharkey's, and the records in the juke box haven't changed since Namath won the Super Bowl. Haven't been there in about 5 or 6 years...think I might stop tomorrow night. You remember a restaurant called Lum's, on the right side of Weston's? For some reason, nobody I talk to ever remembers that place. They served everything in green baskets!

I remember that place - Lum's and the green baskets! What a great thread this is...it has brought back so many memories of people and places that I haven't thought about in years. Kinda makes me long for the "old days", in more ways than one.

YES I remember LUM'S ! I was racking my pea brain for the name of it and just posted what I could remember.

There was also a little place in the Plaza where Britts was. Coming out of Britt's front door you would hang a right and it was almost to the end on the right. I just can't seem to remember the name. Used to have a really mean burger and enough fries to last a week.

Here's on that almost all should remember...The old Art Theater over on Vestal Ave.

How about the Hobbie shop that was down on Main Street across from a car lot as I recall. Use to have a very large 8 lane track where you could race others with your own built car.

Anyone remember the parties that use to be held in the lot behind the old firehouse on Vestal PKWY and S Washington (where the Number 5 is now). They use to do a neighborhood BBQ one a month back in the early 60's.

There was also a little place in the Plaza where Britts was. Coming out of Britt's front door you would hang a right and it was almost to the end on the right. I just can't seem to remember the name. Used to have a really mean burger and enough fries to last a week

Are you talking about the "Gondola Restaurant"? Burgers might have been good, but their pizza kinda sucked. They did have one good lookin' waitress there, that made it all worth while! She had the hots for me...wouldn't admit it, but I could tell.

Archived