Baby Boomers

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Okay, does ANYBODY remember Frailey's Amusement Park??? I have a vague memory of tihs place from the early to mid 60's. I want to say it was somewhere in Apalachin... The weird thing is, I can almost remember the jingle that was on TV...

Come out to Frailey's Amusement Park....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you talking about the "Gondola Restaurant"? Burgers might have been good, but their pizza kinda sucked. They did have one good lookin' waitress there, that made it all worth while! She had the hots for me...wouldn't admit it, but I could tell.

I am not sure if that is the name of it, but I don't remember them selling pizza.

I am not sure if that is the name of it, but I don't remember them selling pizza.

Nah, this was strictly an Italian place. Next to last on the right. Billy Slade had a Radio Shack next door. Anybody remember "Slade's Place"...I can make your ears burn with stories from there. That was one of my haunts. To the other poster about Frailey's, I truly don't remember it. Refresh our memories...what did I miss out on?

Guest Solomon

Airport Kiddieland and the Airport Drive-In. Airport Kiddieland would probably fit in my current backyard, but at the time we thought it was an awesome place. Nice gentle little roller coaster, and of course we screamed every time we road it...all 5 m.p.h. or whatever snail's speed it went.

As for the drive-in, on hot summer nights we'd all get into our pajamas, grab pillows and blankets and pile into the station wagon with our mom and dad. Mom always popped a huge container of popcorn and loaded it with salt and melted butter, and brought one of those big Tartan plaid drink coolers full of homemade lemonade. When we got to the drive-in my dad would back the station wagon into a space by a speaker then open the back door so we could sprawl out in the cargo area and watch the movie. He and my mom brought lawn chairs so they could sit near us and see the screen. We'd swat mosquitos all night but we had a ball.

Guest simple and free

Wow this thread is bringing back memories! The jingle I remember is "Just for fun come to Failey's Amusement Park" I don't remember where it was located although we went there as kids.

And Lums, we ate there frequently! My brother even threw-up there. It was white and foamy, like beer head. My parents were so embarrassed. It still brings a chuckle thinking about it!

Sleepless, I think our paths crossed a few times. Yes I do remember the shaver shop and your Aunt's voice from Philly Sales! She reminded me of my grandmother. Am I remembering correctly, from a previous thread, that you graduated from SCC? I did too.

Does anyone remember Loblaws?

Guest southsider

Bill Slade was the Radio Shack manager. I remember his place; "Slades" where the Establishment was before him. Talk about a drunk. He used to get so F'd up that english was optional. What ever happend to him? Probably dead by now...

I remember Freddie the window washer too. We'd be walking to religious instructions at St. James & he'd be out on Main St. washing all the windows. He always had a smile & something nice to say.

Best memory - every August my Mom would walk my sister & I "over-town" to go school shopping. Shoes at EJ, clothes at Tri-Phi & jeans at Bernie's Army & Navy. And then lunch at McCrory's - grilled cheese sandwiches with the best root beer float I've ever had! Oh, and stopping at Hi-Fi Record & Tape store.

Wow this thread is bringing back memories! The jingle I remember is "Just for fun come to Failey's Amusement Park" I don't remember where it was located although we went there as kids.

And Lums, we ate there frequently! My brother even threw-up there. It was white and foamy, like beer head. My parents were so embarrassed. It still brings a chuckle thinking about it!

Sleepless, I think our paths crossed a few times. Yes I do remember the shaver shop and your Aunt's voice from Philly Sales! She reminded me of my grandmother. Am I remembering correctly, from a previous thread, that you graduated from SCC? I did too.

Does anyone remember Loblaws?

Nope, I graduated from North in '73, but you sure remember my aunt right...she was one loud obnoxious lady, used to embarass the hell out of me. I'd give everything I got to spend a couple of minutes with her now!

Britts, Weston's, and Star's. Weston's up where the Circuit City area buildings are and Stars down where Olum's is now.

V-Drive In every other Saturday Night.

Grandway -->(Binghamton Plaza)

Grants--> ( BINGHAMTON PLAZA. and moved to STOW PLAZA)

Remember Eagles and Saturday mornings. Cherry and Orange were what I like the best.

Sharkey's on Glenwood once a month for their "hot pies" and clams (loved them raw as a kid-hate them now) and bowling game back in the early 60's. Remember the heavy set lady that worked in the kitchen across from the bar. Have not been there in over 40 years.

Ham (Amateur Radio-Short Wave) Fest up on the top of some mountain off Upper Penn Ave. Can't remember where been so long but remember some of the good times.

Evan's Grocery on Colesville Road. 5 cents a gallon for gas for the lawn mower. Mowed lawns for 50 cents.

The more I read this thread, the more I remember the old days. Man have things changed....but I have memories that no one can take away.

Thanks......

;)

I am not sure who edited my post, but who ever did, please don't do it again unless you can back up the edit. Thank you !

GRANTS ---- NOT THE GIANT ! The Giant is where the Library is now on Court Street. Normans use to be where American Legion Post 1645 is now and reopened over on Alice Street after a fire.

Grandway was in the Binghamton Plaza where K-Mart is now. Grant's was were the Showcase is now. I did make a mistake on the second location but GRANTS was for sure in the Binghamton Plaza and not on Court Street. They moved over to where BIG LOTS is now after the roof caved in. I remember that because we were in the store when it happened ! They also had a place on the right hand side, just inside the door to get eats and drinks. The Grand Union was next to Grandway and were connected inside so you could go from one store to another without going outside. Grand Union was where Fashion Bug and The Dollar Store is now.

I remember Kiddie-Land and the Airport Drive in. I also faintly remember a place up there someplace that use to be a meat packaging plant. They opened to the public only on Saturday's for freshly cut beef.

I did that and if you're talking about W.T. Grant, you're talking to the expert here. I went to work right of high school at the Court Street store. I started in the candy dept. and then went to dressing the storefront windows. Years later, they moved to the Chenango Plaza and I spent many a night there on Friday after grocery shopping with my friend and neighbor, imbibing in a delicious Butterscotch Sundae while she always ordered a Hot Fudge Sundae.

Grant's was were the Showcase is now.

If your talking about the place where they held auctions, that was the "Grand Union" grocery store and it hasn't been that many years since it went out.

Shall we talk? :lol:

I did that and if you're talking about W.T. Grant, you're talking to the expert here. I went to work right of high school at the Court Street store. I started in the candy dept. and then went to dressing the storefront windows. Years later, they moved to the Chenango Plaza and I spent many a night there on Friday after grocery shopping with my friend and neighbor, imbibing in a delicious Butterscotch Sundae while she always ordered a Hot Fudge Sundae.

If your talking about the place where they held auctions, that was the "Grand Union" grocery store and it hasn't been that many years since it went out.

Shall we talk? :lol:

Grants was indeed where the Showcase is now. Yes it was Grand Union after they moved from next door of GrandWay (where Kmart is now). Grand Union also moved over to stow plaza but closed it doors and Grants moved in shortly after. Grants may have been on Court Street for a short period, but I do not remember that. I know for fact that WT GRANTS was in the Binghamton Plaza because we were in the store, rear automotive area when the roof caved in. After that, they moved over to where Big Lots is now (stow plaza) and about 6 months later closed their doors.

I will contact my mother in Fla and see if she still has the newpaper cliping's about it. She fell and broke her leg trying to get out of the store with my sister and I when that roof caved in.

I just went and did a search trying to find something bout this with no luck but did manage to find the WT GRANT site and have sent them a request for locations of all stoers they had at one time ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W._T._Grant ).

If memory serves me correctly, Kresge store in downtown Binghamton at one time which then became K-Mart and is now Sears Holding ( sears and Kmart join forces or what ever).

I may be old and getting this new phase of " some-timers " once in a while, but there are certain things that happen when growing up you just don't forget. Like the time I was chasing my kitten off the porch wehn we lived on Colesville and triped over a glass milk jar fell on the broken glass and had 14 stitches in my forhead when I was 4.

I am sure you feel the same and just as strong about what you remember.

We both could be correct you know, as sometimes memories only hold certain paths to what was reality. I am the type that fully admits when wrong. I just don't care for people changing my words. In the future, if you would, you disagree with something I say, please post a responce, not edit what I am saying. Thanks. ( and for the record , yes I have read the rules and there was nothing there that needed to be edited out like in some of the other posts I see here)

Now can we please stay on topic. I for one am enjoying reading and remembering things from the past. Cheese and all !

Thanks and have a nice day :)

I remember Kresges on Court Street, later called Jupiter. Grants on Court Street must have been before my time. My older sister worked at the one in the Chenango Plaza where Lowes is now. A friend and I made deliveries for the one in the Binghamton Plaza back in '71-'72.

I remember Kresges on Court Street, later called Jupiter. Grants on Court Street must have been before my time. My older sister worked at the one in the Chenango Plaza where Lowes is now. A friend and I made deliveries for the one in the Binghamton Plaza back in '71-'72.

Thanks Sleepless. See Holly I knew there was something a miss. There was one in Chenango Plaza where Lowes is, I totally forgot about that one because I could not place where it would have been. But once Sleepless mentioned Lowe's it rang a bell, sorry. But I still don't remember the one on Court Street.

:)

Sleepless when you mentioned Lum's, it got me to thinking a little. Wasn't there also a grocery store in there next to Weston's? I think maybe a A & P ? or was the one that was down by Star's?

I remember a twin freeze drive thru, but for the like of me I can't remember where it was. I want to say the parkway but not sure.

And what was the name of that CAR-HOP on the parkway. Sit in the car and have the girls deliver your food on a plater that hooked to your window?

:):P

Sleepless when you mentioned Lum's, it got me to thinking a little. Wasn't there also a grocery store in there next to Weston's? I think maybe a A & P ? or was the one that was down by Star's?

I remember a twin freeze drive thru, but for the like of me I can't remember where it was. I want to say the parkway but not sure.

And what was the name of that CAR-HOP on the parkway. Sit in the car and have the girls deliver your food on a plater that hooked to your window?

:):P

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there was a grocery store on the right hand side. Not sure which because we got our groceries at the ACME on Conklin Avenue. The only place I remember with car hops was the A &W root beer stand. It was across from the entrance to Olums!

Another memory chiming in...I definitely remember Grant's in the Bing Plaza, but seem to remember it to the left of Grandway, if you were facing the Plaza.

I have no memory chips of it moving over to the other plaza, nor the one up in Chenango Plaza, nor on Court, but I DO remember the one in Westover...think there was also a big discount shoe store there as well?

I do have strong recollection of the A&W, though, as my Father took me there often.

Guest the gardener

I just want to say that this is absolutely the nicest thread I have ever read. I remember alot of these places. I am generally just a reader and don't ususally post, but I had to this time. Thank You for the wonderful memories! :)

Another memory chiming in...I definitely remember Grant's in the Bing Plaza, but seem to remember it to the left of Grandway, if you were facing the Plaza.

I have no memory chips of it moving over to the other plaza, nor the one up in Chenango Plaza, nor on Court, but I DO remember the one in Westover...think there was also a big discount shoe store there as well?

I do have strong recollection of the A&W, though, as my Father took me there often.

I would like a root beer, fries, and a teenburger....oh, wait make that a papaburger!

HGL, not sure when Grant's started at Bing Plaza, but know for sure it was still there in the 71/72/73 range?

Not sure about Stow Plaza either...is it where Big Lots is?

SIH, do you remember those little baby mugs of Root Beer? I was a weird kid (guess things haven't changed much), and often ordered Fish Sandwiches and Orange Soda. :P

In my defense, I was probably only 5 or 6?

Colonial isn't the one w/ Big Lots...that has a dry cleaner, and did have a liquor store a year or so ago, but can't really remember what else, other than it's painted white...and looks "colonial"...Big Lots is behind there and to the right, and PT Reardon's was on the other end....before that, in the 80's, I think, was Sherry's and OTB, and the Great American?

Archived