Baby Boomers

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Yes, I've eaten at the Crystal Tea Room! My sister was aways the trouble maker & one day my Mom took us in there for lunch. Well my sister went to blow the wrapper off her soda straw (aimed at me) and it flew past me & hit the lady in the next booth right in the forehead! I laughed till I cried. Mom didn't. :angry:

The owners name was Onofrio Tona. He was Greek, and the hardest working man I've ever met. 4 AM until 10 pm, seven days a week for forty some years. He used to let me take his Oldsmobile to the car wash on Saturdays, and I'd be flying up 17 yelling, "Hi Ho, Onofrio"! He was a sharp cookie, and I'm sure he figured out from the mileage that I just wasn't going to the carwash everyweek, but he never said anything. BTW, his Filet Mignon was out of this world!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

now here's a blast from the apst. does anyone remember the A&H grocery by the arch in johnson ciity? corner of main and carhart ave. hung out there many a day and night.

There were a couple of other grocery stores in the area. Does anyone remember Normans in Endwell and Binghamton, the always had some great bargins and how about Harris Foodlines BC(before Cal)

I'll back you up on the Grants-Grand Way-Grand Union all in the Bing Plaza at the same time.

Got caught shoplifting candy bars at Grand Way, about 10 yrs old... that'd be 1972

Still have some spools in my thread jar from WT Grants.

Grand Union had the little door where they returned carts from the lot... was a thrill for us kids to go thru it.

Went to the Doghouse many times... later became Sip-n-Dip donuts.

Ditto on the airport drive-in. 5 kids, popcorn & soda from home, station-wagon (w/ wood on the sides), backed-in, ma&pa in lawn chairs, watching Herbie the love bug. Good Times!

Ahhh...our local drive-ins. I was waiting for someone to bring them up. The Airport Drive-In, the Vestal Drive-In, and a lot of you young ones probably don't remember the Front Street Drive-In (they tore that one down when they put route 81 in). We frequented the Airport the most. It had the worst bathroom I've ever been in in my life, but I loved that place.

Ahhh...our local drive-ins. I was waiting for someone to bring them up. The Airport Drive-In, the Vestal Drive-In, and a lot of you young ones probably don't remember the Front Street Drive-In (they tore that one down when they put route 81 in). We frequented the Airport the most. It had the worst bathroom I've ever been in in my life, but I loved that place.

Hey Sleepless we got to stop talking about all these past places. People are going to figure we're older then "dirt" :)

now here's a blast from the apst. does anyone remember the A&H grocery by the arch in johnson ciity? corner of main and carhart ave. hung out there many a day and night.

I remember! I lived on Carhart.

I remember watching my mother’s “ironing” ritual when I was a kid. She’d very meticulously lay an article of clothing out, then grab this coke bottle full of water, with this “sprinkler head thing” stuck in the top, and sprinkle the clothing thoroughly. She’d then, roll the clothing up and set it on the kitchen table for a predetermined amount of time, that only she was aware of. She’d then go about ironing it. She did this with each and every piece of clothing, and always yelling at the end of each session that her hangers “kept walking off”!

I don't remember what brand the bottle with the sprinkler at my house. But I do remember it being brown.

How bout Corless's market on Harry L. best penny candy ever but He would swat flies around the candy and they were open bins so sometimes Ya got got a few flies with Your purchase. We used to call Him Stinky Pete but I'm not sure why? :D

I don't remember what brand the bottle with the sprinkler at my house. But I do remember it being brown.

Everybody I talk to at work remembers the sprinkler bottle. Maybe a coke, pepsi, or rc cola bottle, but everybody's mom had one. Whoever the guy was that invented that sprinkler thing, must have made a fortune. I've talked to a friend in Australia, and her mother had one too! In fact, she's the one who brought it up on Bloody Mary's sight!

Also don't forget the Drive-In that was in the area of where the George F. Highway is now! Between Endwell and Westover.

[1946-1958] Tri-Cities Drive-In Theatre

3646 George F Hwy

AKA: George F Drive-In

Oh, Stinky Pete's!! It was disgusting - he always had the door open & about 10 fly strips hanging near the cash register!!

How about Kocik's Red & White on Harry L. Drive? They had the best fresh sliced cold meat in town. The cashier, Rosie, was really nice.

And the A & P across from Greens Field (where Magic City is now). I used to ride my bike in the parking lot, dodging cars, because my mom wouldn't let me ride out in the street! Go figure!

Also don't forget the Drive-In that was in the area of where the George F. Highway is now! Between Endwell and Westover.

[1946-1958] Tri-Cities Drive-In Theatre

3646 George F Hwy

AKA: George F Drive-In

Never heard of that one, before my time!

Oh, Stinky Pete's!! It was disgusting - he always had the door open & about 10 fly strips hanging near the cash register!!

How about Kocik's Red & White on Harry L. Drive? They had the best fresh sliced cold meat in town. The cashier, Rosie, was really nice.

And the A & P across from Greens Field (where Magic City is now). I used to ride my bike in the parking lot, dodging cars, because my mom wouldn't let me ride out in the street! Go figure!

I remember Kocik's Red and White store! Now it's some kind of ice cream stand isn't it? I was just a young kid then, but now that you had mentioned that, I remembered it was there. You'll have to excuse me, seeing as I moved out of the area for a couple years (between 2002 and 2004) and really did forget some of the things that were here....

Oh, yeah, Mouser...FBC, easy...Wards on the Westside, vaguely, and how about Robert Hall?

Someone mentioned Jupiter earlier...where was that again?

Sorry it took me so long to get back to you....I had to take the dogs for a walk. Jupiter was kitty-corner to Woolworth's!

Archived