Baby Boomers

Sleepless in Hillcrest

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I forgot to say that my parents took us to the EJ Shoe store for the $1.00 sneakers. I came from a blue collar family, but my mom was able to stay home with us three kids until I reached 13 years old. Things are so high today that it is almost impossible for the mother to raise her kids at home and raise kids on one income.

SAD again. What the heck happened over the years, and the guns people use to kill people. We did not have that growing up.

I forgot to say that my parents took us to the EJ Shoe store for the $1.00 sneakers. I came from a blue collar family, but my mom was able to stay home with us three kids until I reached 13 years old. Things are so high today that it is almost impossible for the mother to raise her kids at home and raise kids on one income.

SAD again. What the heck happened over the years, and the guns people use to kill people. We did not have that growing up.

Yup, I grew up with EJ Zingers until I was 15 and got my first pair of "cons" from Harris Army and Navy. Then I was one of the cool guys. My mom, for the most part, stayed at home and wore a hundred different hats, fitting whatever occasion came up...with the five of us, she worked a lot of overtime. I love my ma...she worked her butt off her whole life. She's 77 now and still full of DELETED and vinegar. My dad is gone, but ma is still here for us to enjoy!

you guys remember the jewell-t man? drove his van around and sold all the housewives junk. i knew we made it when we added a SECOND tv w/ pliers.

I remember Jewel T. I just love the pliers thing. I always thought that was unique to my family, but apparently, it was a phenomenon.

WOW Sleepless, I forgot about Harris Army Navy store. Remember that place well.

Remember going into the old Sear's and down stairs to the hardware area ? How about the old Normans store ? Damn its nice to be able to remember the old days, when things were so slow and people took the time to smile and say HI even when they did not know who you were.

Great Memories !

WOW Sleepless, I forgot about Harris Army Navy store. Remember that place well.

Remember going into the old Sear's and down stairs to the hardware area ? How about the old Normans store ? Damn its nice to be able to remember the old days, when things were so slow and people took the time to smile and say HI even when they did not know who you were.

Great Memories !

I remember those places well. Don't even remember what's at Sear's now...think there is a library across the street. I fondly remember Tony Bump and Milton's Grill on the corner! The good old days!

I remember those places well. Don't even remember what's at Sear's now...think there is a library across the street. I fondly remember Tony Bump and Milton's Grill on the corner! The good old days!

ahhhh too funny thinking back now, but we had tweezers ! lol good memories of the black n white tv though !~ thanks for refreshing my memory...

Tony Bump ...LOL... that's a old name I forgot all about. The last I knew the old sears was being used by DORAN but I think they moved out too.

I remember going into the old Burn store and riding the elavator up and down. Used to drive the old man crazy.

Let's not forget the old 21 Club and Mickey's ( got my 1st drink in the 21 club with my father at the age of 16 - thought he was doing me good by letting me see half naked ladies ---LMAO little did he know about me) down next to the Grayhound Bus Station. How about Paul's on Chenango and their "chili" ?

The old Phili Sales was always a blast as a kid growing up. Had to have that 10 cents big bag of popcorn. They kept moving the toy deparment around tho, one month on the ground floor the next on the 3rd then back to ground floor.....

There use to be a small penny candy store up on Chenango and Double Day -- oh yea, A-J's where the Mayor of Binghamton spent most of his time.... Al Libious....that's right.

Man, thinking back just gives one goosebumps....those surely were the days

:) :) :)

I remember my uncle coming to the house with a tube about the size of a paper toweling core. Inside was a rolled up sheet of plastic that had three sections of clear tinting. The top third was peach, the middle was light blue and the bottom green. He taped it across the B&W TV and we had "color" TV. The faces were all peach, the middle of the picture blue and the bottom (meant for grassy areas, I supposed) were green. I still have that B&W TV in the basement - rabbit ears and all. It probably still works, though it hasn't been plugged in in well over 30 years. All metal cabinet and vacuum tubes that glowed bright orange through the venting on the sides and top.

I watched Superman and the Three Stooges on that after school every day when I was a little tyke. By then, cable had been introduced and we got WPIX channel 11 from New York City.

Ah ... memories.

Anybody remember black and white TV, and making a special trip to a neighbor's house on Saturday night to witness the "awe" of color? Getting up and actually crossing the room to change the channel two clicks from 12 to UHF. How about breaking the plastic knob and changing the channel with a pair of pliers? I think our TV came with pliers! Didn't get home early enough on Friday night to watch "The Wild, Wild West". Guess what? You missed it! Maybe they'll rerun it in the summer. Lawn mowers that did'nt require gas...just a lot of push. Going to the neighborhood store with 38 cents and a note from your mother to get her a pack of cigarettes. The absolute joy of going to Eagles, and picking out a 12 case of quarts and a 24 count of the little bottles every Saturday, never lasted through Wednesday with the five of us kids. The Charlie Chip man.? Getting tar all over your sneakers, from popping tar bubbles in the street in July. How I long for those days!

Hehehe.....the pliers thing is funny. For a while there you could pick up HBO when it first came out if you held the dial between Channel 13 and UHF. My Dad's solution was a crescent wrench clamped on the dial with a weight hanging from it to keep the dial right where it needed to be.

My friends would come over and see the TV with this wrench clamped to it and ask "what is that?", and I'd say "That's HBO!".

Hehehe.....the pliers thing is funny. For a while there you could pick up HBO when it first came out if you held the dial between Channel 13 and UHF. My Dad's solution was a crescent wrench clamped on the dial with a weight hanging from it to keep the dial right where it needed to be.

My friends would come over and see the TV with this wrench clamped to it and ask "what is that?", and I'd say "That's HBO!".

That's funny. We picked up on that HBO thing too. My dad rigged it the same way as your's did, but with a "vice grip"!

I remember my uncle coming to the house with a tube about the size of a paper toweling core. Inside was a rolled up sheet of plastic that had three sections of clear tinting. The top third was peach, the middle was light blue and the bottom green. He taped it across the B&W TV and we had "color" TV. The faces were all peach, the middle of the picture blue and the bottom (meant for grassy areas, I supposed) were green. I still have that B&W TV in the basement - rabbit ears and all. It probably still works, though it hasn't been plugged in in well over 30 years. All metal cabinet and vacuum tubes that glowed bright orange through the venting on the sides and top.

I watched Superman and the Three Stooges on that after school every day when I was a little tyke. By then, cable had been introduced and we got WPIX channel 11 from New York City.

Ah ... memories.

WPIX was the nuts! Every night I'd watch Harper News, Dragnet, and then Roller Derby! It's funny....I think that Professional Wrestling is so stupid, and yet thought that Roller Derby was SO cool.

WPIX was the nuts! Every night I'd watch Harper News, Dragnet, and then Roller Derby! It's funny....I think that Professional Wrestling is so stupid, and yet thought that Roller Derby was SO cool.

Yeah, I loved Roller Derby too. I followed the Philadelphia Warriors?!?!?! They had some big blonde, I almost want to say her name was Judy Trotter, but I thought that was on WOR 9!

Guest Guest_JC native_*

All those other posts made me think of these random memories from growing up in Johnson City:

The annual Easter egg hunt at Floral Park. They hid real eggs (hard boiled), and if you found one with a lucky number on it you'd win a prize. The grand prize was a live rabbit, and I'm sure our mom prayed that we wouldn't be the ones to come home with it.

Also at Easter, the McCrory's 5 and Dime store on Main Street sold live baby ducks and chicks, each one dyed a bright pastel color. After being taken home like toys, I wonder how many of them survived more than a couple of weeks (days?).

Getting our milk from the Crowley's delivery truck. On hot summer days, we'd run over to the truck when it stopped by our house and the driver would give us big chunks of ice. They always had a little "gravel" on them, but we'd just wipe it off then lick them to cool off.

Our elementary school had a "boys" entrance and a "girls" entrance...and God forbid you used the wrong one; you'd be sent to the principal's office.

Harry Bloomer always playing Santa Claus; and "Freddie", the old black man who washed windows at the stores on Main Street.

Ok, enough of showing my age. :)

Baby Boomers, yeah I'm really impressed with a country that still flys around in 30 yr old jets, is farrrr behind on internet access compared to the rest of the world, and a country deep in debt and playing world cop. Nice job, good riddance.

All those other posts made me think of these random memories from growing up in Johnson City:

The annual Easter egg hunt at Floral Park. They hid real eggs (hard boiled), and if you found one with a lucky number on it you'd win a prize. The grand prize was a live rabbit, and I'm sure our mom prayed that we wouldn't be the ones to come home with it.

Also at Easter, the McCrory's 5 and Dime store on Main Street sold live baby ducks and chicks, each one dyed a bright pastel color. After being taken home like toys, I wonder how many of them survived more than a couple of weeks (days?).

Getting our milk from the Crowley's delivery truck. On hot summer days, we'd run over to the truck when it stopped by our house and the driver would give us big chunks of ice. They always had a little "gravel" on them, but we'd just wipe it off then lick them to cool off.

Our elementary school had a "boys" entrance and a "girls" entrance...and God forbid you used the wrong one; you'd be sent to the principal's office.

Harry Bloomer always playing Santa Claus; and "Freddie", the old black man who washed windows at the stores on Main Street.

Ok, enough of showing my age. :)

I have the fondest memories of Freddie. He always had a wink and a chuckle for everybody he met. I always thought he was pretty cool. He was one "laid back dude", as we spoke in those days. He once told me I could be a "brother", if I wasn't so white...I never figured that one out. But he was a character!

Too funny. My friends and I got together for a ladies weekend away last November. We were shopping at an outlet mall, and popped into an Orvis. We did a 180 upon seeing all the 'old lady clothes' and on our way out, we spotted a shelf of CHARLES CHIPS cans!! I don't remember actually getting delivery, as I was a child of the mid-late 60' and early 70's, so that all happened before I was 'aware' of stuff like that. But, that charles chip can we had, from days gone by, housed my Lego's, and our Charles Chips brown pretzel can held my broken crayons! My friend and I each bought a can for our dads and I gave mine his at Chirstmas (w/ a gift card), cuz after all, gift cards are boring all by themselves.

Was kind of cool to see them for sale though. Can you imagine getting potato chip delivery nowadays??

We also used to get Eagle soda in quart bottles in a wooden case at Rossi's market on the North Side. My favorite was the neon lime.

I also remember the best penny candy selection in the world at Cumbo's, across from St. Anthony's Church. The nuns would let us go there after we ate lunch at the church basement (aka St. Anthony's cafeteria) in elementary school. I remember brown-bagging my lunch, and my mom would give me a dime and a nickel, and I would use 4 cents to buy my milk in the cafeteria, then the other 11 cents usually got split between a 7 cent Archie comic book and the other 4 cents went toward penny candy, usually shoestring licorice, Bazooka bubble gum, and red candy lipsticks!

Archived