Baby Boomers

Sleepless in Hillcrest

Anybody remember black and white TV, and making a special trip to a neighbor's house on Saturday night to witness the "awe" of color? Getting up and actually crossing the room to change the channel two clicks from 12 to UHF. How about breaking the plastic knob and changing the channel with a pair of pliers? I think our TV came with pliers! Didn't get home early enough on Friday night to watch "The Wild, Wild West". Guess what? You missed it! Maybe they'll rerun it in the summer. Lawn mowers that did'nt require gas...just a lot of push. Going to the neighborhood store with 38 cents and a note from your mother to get her a pack of cigarettes. The absolute joy of going to Eagles, and picking out a 12 case of quarts and a 24 count of the little bottles every Saturday, never lasted through Wednesday with the five of us kids. The Charlie Chip man.? Getting tar all over your sneakers, from popping tar bubbles in the street in July. How I long for those days!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anybody remember black and white TV, and making a special trip to a neighbor's house on Saturday night to witness the "awe" of color? Getting up and actually crossing the room to change the channel two clicks from 12 to UHF. How about breaking the plastic knob and changing the channel with a pair of pliers? I think our TV came with pliers! Didn't get home early enough on Friday night to watch "The Wild, Wild West". Guess what? You missed it! Maybe they'll rerun it in the summer. Lawn mowers that didn't require gas...just a lot of push. Going to the neighborhood store with 38 cents and a note from your mother to get her a pack of cigarettes. The absolute joy of going to Eagles, and picking out a 12 case of quarts and a 24 count of the little bottles every Saturday, never lasted through Wednesday with the five of us kids. The Charlie Chip man.? Getting tar all over your sneakers, from popping tar bubbles in the street in July. How I long for those days!

I still have two Charles Chips cans, their full of Penny's. We used to drink Pee-Wee soda by the gallon and also Fawn soda. It was probably around 1960 before we ever had a TV, three channels if we were lucky. Sitting on my grandmothers porch in West Endicott and watching the man hole covers 'pop' out of the street during heavy storms. Walking to Mike and Louie's Bar(now Kelley's) and getting a spiedie from Boots. Fishing and swimming in Naticoke(sp) creek and watching the raw sewage float down stream.

Lets not forget the Grovers Pig Stand for a Saturday Afternoon lunch after shopping with the parnets.

How about being able to walk down Court Street and go to the old Woolworths, Flowers and stopping at the Mr Peanut for a 25 cents bag (large size) of fresh roasted peanuts ?

Or maybe McDonald's special 5 cent burgers and 10 cent chessburgers? (but it wasn't mcdonalds then and can't think of the name but was on upper court where there stands a bank today by the flower shop).

Alzheimer's ? got the first stages of that already, but it's called "sometimers"

:P

Lets not forget the Grovers Pig Stand for a Saturday Afternoon lunch after shopping with the parnets.

How about being able to walk down Court Street and go to the old Woolworths, Flowers and stopping at the Mr Peanut for a 25 cents bag (large size) of fresh roasted peanuts ?

Or maybe McDonald's special 5 cent burgers and 10 cent chessburgers? (but it wasn't mcdonalds then and can't think of the name but was on upper court where there stands a bank today by the flower shop).

Alzheimer's ? got the first stages of that already, but it's called "sometimers"

I think it was called Carroll's ?????

SIH - I do remember all of those things and reading your post left me with a warm fuzzy in my heart and a tear in my eye. I fondly remember going to Eagles with my Dad on Saturdays - that was such a big deal for us kids. I haven't thought about that place in years. My dad died 8 years ago today - thus the tear in my eye. Thanks for the memories, my friend.

My little brother and I would venture down to Woolworths on Saturday all the way from Saratoga Avenue, with our one dollar allowances tightly clutched in our hands, all the while imagining the wonderful things we would soon buy. We'd pass the gas tower after we crossed the bridge, and knew we were in the home stretch. We always stopped at the bakery, and begged for one of the day old doughnuts...they usually gave in. They were such nice people! Then we'd arrive at the shopping mecca of our world....Woolworths! We spent hours staring at the goldfish, turtles, and baby alligators they had for sale, but we always ended up buying the same old things. He loved Matchbox cars and I collected miniature soldiers. I remember those walks home being some of the best times of my life!

SIH - I do remember all of those things and reading your post left me with a warm fuzzy in my heart and a tear in my eye. I fondly remember going to Eagles with my Dad on Saturdays - that was such a big deal for us kids. I haven't thought about that place in years. My dad died 8 years ago today - thus the tear in my eye. Thanks for the memories, my friend.

Now you're making me cry. My dad died three years ago this past December. Thank God I was named after him, so nobody ever forgets him. He always insisted on 2 quarts of Birch Beer, which the 5 of us siblings used to gag about...we all hated it, except for my brother Dick...he'd drink or eat anything. God rest his young soul! I like these types of threads, everybody shares their life...so much more important than most of the stuff I read on here!

coming to down town from saratoga ave? have you amounted to anything in life or are you still on welfare. third or forth generation i would assume

Actually, back in the era we all are talking about, Saratoga Ave was a very nice area. Back then the people around that area took PRIDE in their homes and yards. Children were taught respect. Yes there were 3 buildings in the Saratoga area then, but then they were very nice and even the people who lived in them were highly respectable.

Remember Kelly's Grocery ?

It's very easy to see that by your post, your still wet behind the ears when it comes to respect. You think that because someone grew up on Saratoga Ave, they were and are welfare people. Back then, not a chance. It's become the area today that it is because of jerks like you who show not pride in anything, including your statement above. I feel sorry for you because you will not have the fond memories that a lot of us have.

BY Auntie M.

I think it was called Carroll's ?????

YES That was it -- Thanks

obviously, by my attitude, you should be able to tell that i was NOT brought up on saratoga ave, but the westside. i had no respect for welfare scum then. nor do i now. they should do us all a favor and die. and yes, i do have fond memories, walking to thomas jefferson and then on to west junior. i was brought up on the RIGHT side of town and that is exactly how i live today, on the RIGHT side of town. and the right side of town is no longer the westside of binghamton, it is across the river.

Happy Thought For Saturday

"We judge ourselves by what we feel capable of doing, while others judge us by what we have already done."

- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

I remember B&W TV. My parents got our 1st color set in 1968. i remember that was when the 1st man on the moon. Life was about quality back then growing up and living life simpily. My parents has a party black telephone. This brings back GOOD memories. I went to BCHS and the west side of Binghamton was nice around Oak St, Murray, Chapin, Cedar. etc. I cringe when I see that part of town now, plus other sides of JC and Endicott have gone down the toilet. SAD.

I remember B&W TV. My parents got our 1st color set in 1968. i remember that was when the 1st man on the moon. Life was about quality back then growing up and living life simpily. My parents has a party black telephone. This brings back GOOD memories. I went to BCHS and the west side of Binghamton was nice around Oak St, Murray, Chapin, Cedar. etc. I cringe when I see that part of town now, plus other sides of JC and Endicott have gone down the toilet. SAD.

Our first color TV was in "66. We were never on welfare as someone suggested, my dad worked his DELETED off to make ends meet, for him, mom, grandma, and the five of us kids. I do however remember government cheese and a number 10 can of peanut butter with an inch of oil on top that you had to stir in. It was really bad! I wouldn't trade those memories for the world.

Hey, Mr big shot West Sider - I grew up on the West Side too, went to Hamilton School and then to West 'Junior". My best friend grew up on Saratoga Ave...and she has good values and a work ethic that is unbelieveable.

Please don't take one West Sider's attitude to mean that all or even most of us feel that way.

And, btw, the comment on using pliers to change the TV station had me laughing out loud...to hear my Dad (back in the day) WE were the ONLY kids who didn't respect the things he worked so hard to provide and the broken knob was the perfect example of that...sheesh, I thought we were the only ones who broke theirs....thanks for the memories!!! Thank God my Dad is still with us...I am going to call him and tell him the story...he will laugh too!

Hey, Mr big shot West Sider - I grew up on the West Side too, went to Hamilton School and then to West 'Junior". My best friend grew up on Saratoga Ave...and she has good values and a work ethic that is unbelieveable.

Please don't take one West Sider's attitude to mean that all or even most of us feel that way.

And, btw, the comment on using pliers to change the TV station had me laughing out loud...to hear my Dad (back in the day) WE were the ONLY kids who didn't respect the things he worked so hard to provide and the broken knob was the perfect example of that...sheesh, I thought we were the only ones who broke theirs....thanks for the memories!!! Thank God my Dad is still with us...I am going to call him and tell him the story...he will laugh too!

D I T T O

Tell your dad I said Hi and I've got an extra pair of pliers if he needs them!

LOL...I stopped after church and told him the whole story...he remembers being really angry and really enjoyed it....thanks for making HIS day and mine.

Stay WARM tonight all, gonna be bitter cold.

I see ya'll have fond memories, and I would absolutely hate to ruin them, but I don't remember black and white TV's, but what I do remember is color TV and T. J. Hooker! (I hope someone laughs!)
I remember my father buying one of the first remote controll tvs and my mom taking me to woolworths for a burger

LOL...I stopped after church and told him the whole story...he remembers being really angry and really enjoyed it....thanks for making HIS day and mine.

Stay WARM tonight all, gonna be bitter cold.

I'm glad we could make your dad smile today! We should do this more often...that's why we're here.

The pliers story is great. We had to do the same thing too. The inside of the knob would get stripped. All the broken TV knobs are great. Thanks for making my day.

obviously, by my attitude, you should be able to tell that i was NOT brought up on saratoga ave, but the westside. i had no respect for welfare scum then. nor do i now. they should do us all a favor and die. and yes, i do have fond memories, walking to thomas jefferson and then on to west junior. i was brought up on the RIGHT side of town and that is exactly how i live today, on the RIGHT side of town. and the right side of town is no longer the westside of binghamton, it is across the river.

No, you were not brought up on Saratoga Avenue. That is evident from your post! I knew nobody that was on welfare, and everybody knew everybodies else's business back then. We all pitched in on home projects, and shared our front porches for a cool glass of lemonade and a chit chat. And don't ever refer to me, or mine, as welfare scum"!

Archived